Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Honestly wouldn't read anything into that game yesterday at all it was a write-off before they even started. Were you better to have played the game or have a training session and concede the game? My personal view they were still better to have played it. I counted 9 potential players that will prob start against Derry. I don't think we will beat Derry btw. I think we will be competitive against them like last year in Croke park. I was disappointed in the effort levels yesterday but again there was a lot of players playing yesterday that won't even be on the 26 come the league. Seems a lot of heavy training has been done as the lads looked tired. That will prob ease off now going into the Derry game. I wouldn't blame the lads for going on the stag a lot of posters on here are talking about the commitment and why players aren't playing and it's almost like a full time job now when a few lads go away for the weekend in January the same posters are complaining about that too. Let's just move on from yesterday.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 13/01/2020 13:28:36    2259387

Link

With the way football is gone, thank God he let them go on the stag..if they have been training away, one weekend's blow out wont make a difference. A bit of Work/life balance needed. He'll get more from them ultimately with that approach. At least they fulfilled the fixture and gave some lads game time and a chance to put up the hand. They can keep quiet from now on.
Again Ros are div1 or thereabouts year on year…we only just got off the league canvas last year. Judge the lads on the campaign ahead as the league doesn't lie when they are in good company. I'll be there buying my supporters club ticket Thursday. Keep the heads up people..

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 13/01/2020 14:28:23    2259412

Link

The prospects of the under 20s were sacrificed for the sake of the seniors. Fair enough,some of the under 20s have been training with the seniors for the last few months but it's meant that they haven't been involved with the rest of the squad for training and have only turned up for games. Not their fault of course but the result has been that there have been sessions with only 10 or 12 at them. Needless to say It's hard to work on a gameplan with those numbers. The panel was only put together in December.
Its unlikely that too many of the under 20s will actually make the cut for the league. Any fella with a genuine prospect of making the senior panel could have been managed rather than holding back so many against Longford. The bulk of this squad were involved last year and there were genuine hopes they'd make progress. Last years management got plenty of unfounded stick. However, there's no doubting their commitment and belief in their squad. Fellas pick up on that. The opposite is also true.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 13/01/2020 14:35:49    2259416

Link

I think a post-mortem of this scale after yesterday's result is a bit uncalled for. Yes, the result was sh*te, but it's not a true reflection of either teams capabilities. We know there will be a difficult league campaign with the step up to Division 3, hopefully with a full team they can put their shoulders to the wheel and make a respectable go of it.

LetItInHigh (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 13/01/2020 14:51:02    2259420

Link

I wouldn't read too much into the game yesterday, forget about it and focus on the Derry game, in all honesty it's a game we need to target 2 points. All of last years work and support will be a waste of time if the effort isn't put in by the management players and supporters. I hope that we outnumber Derry on there home patch in 2 weeks and come away with the points. This team needs the support not negative comments.

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 13/01/2020 15:12:44    2259429

Link

Finally a few sensible posts - the last few posts show exactly what I also think. Of the team that started against Derry in Croke Park only Maguire and Flynn featured yesterday as far as I know. The team yesterday was bare bones stuff with a massive ammount of the under 20's playing, and the Longford under 20's game on Saturday was similar in so much as the proper under 20 team wasnt playing either

They'll learn now and take the bad defeat and the training before the league now becomes serious stuff after yesterdays beating. Yes it was embarrassing stuff but taken in to context it can be a lesson learned and move on. It's only FBD anyway, better get beat here than in the league. Onwards and upwards and I'm sure Terry and co will be knuckling down and going all out now after yesterday. It mighn't look like one but it is a plus for us if we use it as one.

Is Shane Moran involved this year? McKiernan is out for two months I heard can anyone verify this? Who is the sub goalie? Yesterdays sub goalie sits the leaving cert next year!! WIll he be used in the league

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 13/01/2020 15:36:03    2259438

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Honestly wouldn't read anything into that game yesterday at all it was a write-off before they even started. Were you better to have played the game or have a training session and concede the game? My personal view they were still better to have played it. I counted 9 potential players that will prob start against Derry. I don't think we will beat Derry btw. I think we will be competitive against them like last year in Croke park. I was disappointed in the effort levels yesterday but again there was a lot of players playing yesterday that won't even be on the 26 come the league. Seems a lot of heavy training has been done as the lads looked tired. That will prob ease off now going into the Derry game. I wouldn't blame the lads for going on the stag a lot of posters on here are talking about the commitment and why players aren't playing and it's almost like a full time job now when a few lads go away for the weekend in January the same posters are complaining about that too. Let's just move on from yesterday."
You counted 9 players that played yesterday that will play v Derry?

Why organise a stag before that game and the date of yesterday's game was known months ago.

In division 3 it's hard to see Leitrim pick up any points in their games v Derry, Down and Cork. Longford and Offaly are in much better shape than Leitrim and although Tipp are missing key players they should be too strong for Leitrim. My honest view is I would expect Louth and Leitrim to get relegated.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 302 - 13/01/2020 19:17:15    2259499

Link

Anyone got any idea on whether the management will look to call in another goalie now that McKiernan will miss most of the league?

Leitrimallstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 13/01/2020 22:43:51    2259577

Link

Roscommon are in a different league to us at the moment, consistently top 10 team in the country. We have not nroke into top 20 in 15 years or more. Notions is what we have.
But over the years there has been progress but it always ends up coming to the most abrupt halt just when you expect a surge forward whether its lads walking away, bad attitude prevailing in the camp or simply bad management/coaching.
Saddens me to say this but i dont think too many county players outside Leitrim would organise their stag the weekend of a game considering all the free weekends in Oct/Nov/Dec. It also seemed to involve those who are the most flaky and needed the game most.
If this panel and management team are going to stay in Div 3 then a huge turnaround is required. Something negative has crept into the squad since the Div 4 final in Croke Park. That unity has disappeared and with it confidence has seeped from the players. They look leg heavy. Their mental sharpness last Sunday was not good enough for County level, how many quick frees caught us out? If you look at the physique of the Roscommon team, they are well toned athletes but we persist with the slow lads who can neither react fast nor cover ground. I see players in the senior squad and under 20 squad that really are not at the required level. The county if they are serious about developing a team in the future 10 years need Enda Lyons, Sean Gallagher and Stephen McGurrin going around to each club, working with under 15 and 17 teams improving the skill levels, emphasising the the required physicality abd athleticism and diet for those who want to play at a top level. Academies or elite squads have bore no fruit, in fact there are examples of those who avoided them now excelling. Leitrim needs someone strong to identify what our county does best at football, from that develop a style of play, make that the template for all clubs and the county coaches do 3 or 4 sessions a year and assess how it is being enforced in clubs. There is no quick fix. I fear for us as a county team, there is very little to get excited about. It is too easy to blame management but i really dont think the present set up will turn around our fortunes simply because of the players they select. Some players in the panel came off their worst seasons for their clubs and yet got selected abd really good players werent looked at. We must have our best players playing to stand any chance.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 14/01/2020 08:38:31    2259614

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "You counted 9 players that played yesterday that will play v Derry?

Why organise a stag before that game and the date of yesterday's game was known months ago.

In division 3 it's hard to see Leitrim pick up any points in their games v Derry, Down and Cork. Longford and Offaly are in much better shape than Leitrim and although Tipp are missing key players they should be too strong for Leitrim. My honest view is I would expect Louth and Leitrim to get relegated."
It is a meaningless competition game in early January. I don't know why lads are being criticised for having a life. The danger is this criticism will drive even more lads away from playing with Leitrim. Remember this is just a hobby.

dunkell (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 14/01/2020 08:41:01    2259615

Link

Replying To dunkell:  "It is a meaningless competition game in early January. I don't know why lads are being criticised for having a life. The danger is this criticism will drive even more lads away from playing with Leitrim. Remember this is just a hobby."
While you are absolutely right it is just a hobby why bother your b***** if you are just going to lose every week. Surely the hobby would be more enjoyable if you were winning or at least been competitive in games. To do that and give yourself the best chance of competing you must put in the effort other counties do or even more than that.
The game against us at the weekend mean nothing and nobody will remember it come the end of the year but if Leitrim are going to reach the next level which the attitude of players has to change. Its mind boggling that players would go on a stag a few weeks before the start of the most important part of the year for them (Never mind championship without trying sound harsh Leitrim are not going win anything in championship this year,Aim has to be the league thats how Roscommon started to improve by going up the leagues playing better teams). As previous poster said why wasnt stag held sometime before christmas? From the outside while i understand lads have lives too it doesnt look good lads heading off this time of the year and any county serious about football whouldnt do it or let it happen.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 14/01/2020 10:08:26    2259634

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "While you are absolutely right it is just a hobby why bother your b***** if you are just going to lose every week. Surely the hobby would be more enjoyable if you were winning or at least been competitive in games. To do that and give yourself the best chance of competing you must put in the effort other counties do or even more than that.
The game against us at the weekend mean nothing and nobody will remember it come the end of the year but if Leitrim are going to reach the next level which the attitude of players has to change. Its mind boggling that players would go on a stag a few weeks before the start of the most important part of the year for them (Never mind championship without trying sound harsh Leitrim are not going win anything in championship this year,Aim has to be the league thats how Roscommon started to improve by going up the leagues playing better teams). As previous poster said why wasnt stag held sometime before christmas? From the outside while i understand lads have lives too it doesnt look good lads heading off this time of the year and any county serious about football whouldnt do it or let it happen."
So the manager says no you can't have this stage...what happens then, you'll have lads pulling out of the panel potentially. It is my opinion there should be a complete closed season for any GAA activity between the end of November and start of February. That's a discussion for another day but Leitrim can't afford to alienate anybody by putting bans or preventing people having a weekend off. The game should have been conceded.

dunkell (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 14/01/2020 10:39:17    2259646

Link

Replying To dunkell:  "So the manager says no you can't have this stage...what happens then, you'll have lads pulling out of the panel potentially. It is my opinion there should be a complete closed season for any GAA activity between the end of November and start of February. That's a discussion for another day but Leitrim can't afford to alienate anybody by putting bans or preventing people having a weekend off. The game should have been conceded."
Yes he should say no and i do understand what you are saying. They are either committed or they are not no matter how good they are and manager shouldnt be walking on egg shells afraid to put his foot down incase someone crys off . You wont win anything with lads half arsed and thats what it is. Anyone serious about playing wouldnt dream of having a stag when that one was held. I agree about the window you have said when it should be a closed season but unfortunately that isnt the case. Put it this way any county footballer i know has stags/wedding around the football season not in the middle start or end of it. Its a balls and a massive committment but thats just way it needs to be nowadays. Your either all in or out if you want to be successful.
Anyway i have said my bit and i really hope Leitrim stay up but its a massive challenge in D3 and i just dont see enough effort put in or will and want by the players to stay up. If they did they would have been a better effort in the match at the weekend and by players who wnet to the stag to be there. My opinion only...

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 14/01/2020 11:12:18    2259659

Link

Its a tough one. We're gone to the stage where county football is nearly professional. It can be seen even in other counties where lads are just walking away and going travelling or whatever.
I can see this being a lean year for Leitrim too. Can't see us staying in Division 3. We'd need to beat Offaly in Carrick and then try for an away win in Louth. Huge task. Longford is a local derby but I think they will have more than enough to see us off comfortably. Derry and Down away are write offs. Cork will be a case of picking it out of the net and kicking it out again. Tipp probably a little bit in transition but still better than us. As always theres one big game in Leitrim when you least expect it but don't think it will be enough.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 111 - 14/01/2020 17:49:04    2259765

Link

Replying To Ludovic_Giuly:  "Its a tough one. We're gone to the stage where county football is nearly professional. It can be seen even in other counties where lads are just walking away and going travelling or whatever.
I can see this being a lean year for Leitrim too. Can't see us staying in Division 3. We'd need to beat Offaly in Carrick and then try for an away win in Louth. Huge task. Longford is a local derby but I think they will have more than enough to see us off comfortably. Derry and Down away are write offs. Cork will be a case of picking it out of the net and kicking it out again. Tipp probably a little bit in transition but still better than us. As always theres one big game in Leitrim when you least expect it but don't think it will be enough."
While Sunday's farce has been painful for supporters Terry is reportedly upbeat about the Derry game. Diarmaid is out for the next month as is Ryan. No idea who will be keeper for opening games.Should Emlyn be recalled? His experience would be an asset as an impact sub. Our full back line was dire on Sunday while Donal Wrynn must play at the back. Surprised Caleb Duffy taken off while Aaron Hoare & Riordan O'Rourke were left on. Conor Dolan tightly marked as the Rossies had their homework done- he deserves another day but step up from Club to County is a learning curve.
Defence is a real problem Ray Mulvey, Shane Quinn and possibly CillianMcGloin with Aidan Flynn reverting to wing back. Who joins Paddy Maguire in the back line is a real worry.Donal At No.3 or 6 ?
Leitrim have problems in several key areas that won't be addressed in the short term. I wish it were otherwise.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 14/01/2020 21:58:59    2259826

Link

If as reported here some players were at a Stag, does anyone know when the wedding will be? Presumably all who attended the Stag will be going to the wedding! And nowadays weddings go on for 2 or 3 days and take place at the weekend.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 997 - 15/01/2020 07:19:34    2259877

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "While Sunday's farce has been painful for supporters Terry is reportedly upbeat about the Derry game. Diarmaid is out for the next month as is Ryan. No idea who will be keeper for opening games.Should Emlyn be recalled? His experience would be an asset as an impact sub. Our full back line was dire on Sunday while Donal Wrynn must play at the back. Surprised Caleb Duffy taken off while Aaron Hoare & Riordan O'Rourke were left on. Conor Dolan tightly marked as the Rossies had their homework done- he deserves another day but step up from Club to County is a learning curve.
Defence is a real problem Ray Mulvey, Shane Quinn and possibly CillianMcGloin with Aidan Flynn reverting to wing back. Who joins Paddy Maguire in the back line is a real worry.Donal At No.3 or 6 ?
Leitrim have problems in several key areas that won't be addressed in the short term. I wish it were otherwise."
I think Mulligan has made his position clear that he finds it impossible to work with Hyland so that probably isn't an option unless there's a major change of heart.

dunkell (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 15/01/2020 09:05:09    2259894

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "While Sunday's farce has been painful for supporters Terry is reportedly upbeat about the Derry game. Diarmaid is out for the next month as is Ryan. No idea who will be keeper for opening games.Should Emlyn be recalled? His experience would be an asset as an impact sub. Our full back line was dire on Sunday while Donal Wrynn must play at the back. Surprised Caleb Duffy taken off while Aaron Hoare & Riordan O'Rourke were left on. Conor Dolan tightly marked as the Rossies had their homework done- he deserves another day but step up from Club to County is a learning curve.
Leitrim have problems in several key areas that won't be addressed in the short term. I wish it were otherwise."
Hopefully we have Shane Moran available, is he playing this year? If so then Moran and Pearse Dolan midfield, frees up Mark Plunkett to centre half back and Donal wrynn full back. Full back line of Paddy Maguire, Donal Wrynn, Aidan Flynn and a half back line of Ray Mulvey, Mark Plunkett and Shane Quinn.

Alternatively Plunkett midfield alongside Pearse Dolan and Shane Moran full forward is another exciting possibility, with Mcgloin centre half back as he has been playing there in Sigerson.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 15/01/2020 10:24:43    2259918

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "If as reported here some players were at a Stag, does anyone know when the wedding will be? Presumably all who attended the Stag will be going to the wedding! And nowadays weddings go on for 2 or 3 days and take place at the weekend."
First friday in April I believe, so basically as soon as the national league is done and dusted.

Highandmighty (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 15/01/2020 11:52:27    2259949

Link

Madness to get carried away over Sunday.

Yes it was a hammering and yes they are always hard to take but the bigger picture is we were without the vast majority of our key men. Forget about it and move on.

I do not expect us to come out with many (if any) wins from Div 3 but what i do expect is us to be competitive in alot of the games. We will nearly always be competitive at home and give teams a good rattle but i'd like to see us being more competitive on the road with the step up to Div 3. Our away form was nearly always our achilles heel in trying to get out of Div 4 year on year and we rectified that last year. So what i am looking for is for us to be competitive against higher class opposition on a weekly basis and that in my eyes will be progress. The bookies will have us as big underdogs in each and every one of our games and as the saying goes i have yet to meet a poor bookmaker. Div 3 is an absolute minefield this year and you can probably make a good case for 4/5 of the teams involved pushing for promotion and likewise 4/5 for the drop.

Whilst i would love to see us stay in Div 3 I would also not be too disheartened if we do end up getting relegated so long as we have been competitive.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 15/01/2020 13:26:25    2259974

Link