Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TwoFeet:  "That was woeful. Forget about the team, large amount of them wont make the league panel. The worry which has been clear for some time now is the lack of a few differnt game plans from the training ground.
1) kickouts ...whats the game plays we have for our kickouts to win primary possession ? None.
2) In possesion ...whats the game plays when we win primary possesion ? Kick it over and back ?
3) Without possesion ... no sweeper system. No marking. Is our defensive plan zonel ?
Its junior stuff sending out lads with no plan.
The loss does not worry me what worries me is no sign of game plans at all. If you seen a gameplan going wrong well at least we are trying things.
Imagine conceeding all them 1st half goals without trying to rectify by introducing a sweeper ! Well we seen it today.
Give our forwards a chance with a gameplan so they have the upper hand on there markers when the ball is coming in. If a forward knows wing back x will kick it in to the left corner forward position etc well he has huge advantage on marker.
Then we play a full forward 6ft 4 and fail to kick one ball into him with the new advanced mark!
I could go on. Finally a stag for many of the 1st team 2 weeks before league opener is poor ..poor on manager or players who went to it ..im not sure. Maybe both ! I cant but fear for year ahead.
Ah sure we are leitrim ! Not our fault. We will have some excuses im sure as always. Maybe our new county board will take the big step and prioritise the clubs ! Now that would be something !!!!"
Yes I felt that terrie missed a trick today. Certainly should have been working on his plan B for the forthcoming league. What is our alternative of plan A doesn't work?? I'd like to see a poll on whether we should retain the services of terrie or get rid of him!!

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 18:18:04    2259154

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "Hyland can't magic players out of thin air or force players to commit. And god knows commitment is a full time job for players these days. I think he's done a good enough job considering the resources he has at hand. I don't know where GAA is going to be counties like Leitrim in 10 years time if this continues. Perhaps it's time to consider a draft system where perhaps a max of 3 players from stronger counties who cant get their game get to throw their lot in. I don't know. But what I do know is our nearest neighbours, Longford, have consistently showed over the last decade that smaller counties can be competitive and the answer to these issues can't be directly placed at the door of the current management team or the current panel who are trying their best."
Fermanagh also never complain about pick and they have the smallest in the country. We should have had a decent team out against Longford yesterday and conceded today's game.

if people start criticising players who want to mark a special private occasion no one will show up. today is no better than a challenge game of a tuesday evening. all i will say is it is a shame we are letting that crowd consistently embarrass us year on year.

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 18:23:07    2259157

Link

Its a bad sign when a couple of lads cant miss a game we were always going to lose anyway.its not Terry's fault just pure lack of talent in this county

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 76 - 12/01/2020 19:41:36    2259190

Link

That was brutal to watch today. Roscommon out smarted us all over the field. Walked 5 or 6 of the handiest goals they'll probably ever get, by numerous defenders who just looked like they had no idea what was happening or how to do any thing to halt it. Every thing we did was so slow and laborious, that's going to be the biggest shock now that we not in Div 4, the different pace of the game and so much less time on the ball. Every time we go on the ball the Rossies picked our pocket and we were standing there wondering what just happened as they trotted off up the field to register another score. Even Paddy Maguire was made to look very ordinary......not something that can be said of him to often. Here's hoping for a better display in Celtic Park in 2 weeks time.

Ridgebackers (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 12/01/2020 19:53:20    2259194

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "A poor display here in Carrick on Shannon. I don't think the Leitrim management have got what it will take to stay in Division three. The stag party I don't think would make any difference. Roscommon are miles ahead of Leitrim. I wouldn't like to think what the final score will be. Enda Smith sin binned might help Leitrim get a few scores, which they need badly. Yesterday was bad for the Under20s but today could be worse. Going into the league after this display won't help. Nothing positive at all to take from this game."
To suggest Terry Hyland doesn't have what it takes is an idiotic comment. Look at the job he done with Cavan underage and senior. Fave the facts that Roscommon are miles ahead likewise Galway and Mayo.
If Leitrim are to improve underage coaching structures need to be implemented and reviewed every 6 months minimum.
Leitrims promotion last year cannot be underestimated how big an achievement it was. Focus has to be division 3 and the A Ireland B.
Connaught is not in their plans as at the moment it's not realistic. For this year and the next anyway.

GaaGaelic (USA) - Posts: 2 - 12/01/2020 20:00:15    2259199

Link

Replying To GaaGaelic:  "To suggest Terry Hyland doesn't have what it takes is an idiotic comment. Look at the job he done with Cavan underage and senior. Fave the facts that Roscommon are miles ahead likewise Galway and Mayo.
If Leitrim are to improve underage coaching structures need to be implemented and reviewed every 6 months minimum.
Leitrims promotion last year cannot be underestimated how big an achievement it was. Focus has to be division 3 and the A Ireland B.
Connaught is not in their plans as at the moment it's not realistic. For this year and the next anyway."
should be a review of underage coaches too. Have they brought players to the levels one would expect. Do we need new coaches or additional ones etc. Today's result was poor but the capitulation against Longford u20s yesterday was far far worse in my opinion. Longford should not be out of sight like they were at that age group no matter what players we had missing.

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 20:25:09    2259211

Link

Didn't score half enough goals today

Rossie2020 (Roscommon) - Posts: 89 - 12/01/2020 20:37:46    2259216

Link

Replying To hylandfan:  "should be a review of underage coaches too. Have they brought players to the levels one would expect. Do we need new coaches or additional ones etc. Today's result was poor but the capitulation against Longford u20s yesterday was far far worse in my opinion. Longford should not be out of sight like they were at that age group no matter what players we had missing."
That's what I was implying that the underage structures need to be reviewed, seminars from top coaches for club coaches underage should be a regular occurrence

GaaGaelic (USA) - Posts: 2 - 12/01/2020 20:49:59    2259230

Link

Replying To Rossie2020:  "Didn't score half enough goals today"
it was nearly as bad as your game against Mayo in the quarter finals in 2017

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 21:06:09    2259234

Link

Replying To GaaGaelic:  "That's what I was implying that the underage structures need to be reviewed, seminars from top coaches for club coaches underage should be a regular occurrence"
Some of the coaches we have had over our underage teams over the past few years have been a complete joke!! You reap what you sow.

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 21:08:15    2259235

Link

Replying To hylandfan:  "it was nearly as bad as your game against Mayo in the quarter finals in 2017"
Wide open spaces doesn't limited teams! They're found out. No hiding place you see! That's why mayo scored goals for fun as did Dublin's second string!!

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 21:38:24    2259241

Link

Replying To hylandfan:  "it was nearly as bad as your game against Mayo in the quarter finals in 2017"
Wide open spaces doesn't suit limited teams! They're found out. No hiding place you see! That's why mayo scored goals for fun as did Dublin's second string!!

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 21:38:49    2259242

Link

"Nearly"?? Maths obviously not your strong point. We bet he by 8 more points today than that game you mention.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 12/01/2020 21:42:17    2259243

Link

The 1 we drew

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1459 - 12/01/2020 22:14:26    2259251

Link

Wouldn't ye love to be playing in an all Ireland quarter final replay as Connacht champions, will never happen!

Rossie2020 (Roscommon) - Posts: 89 - 12/01/2020 22:24:47    2259253

Link

Replying To Rossie2020:  "Wouldn't ye love to be playing in an all Ireland quarter final replay as Connacht champions, will never happen!"

LetItInHigh (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 12/01/2020 23:50:10    2259265

Link

Shocking result regardless what team was out. Surely hyland could have went ultra defensive and at least kept the scoreline respectable. I think we got very lucky last year with results and that papered over cracks. Antrim, wicklow and limerick were all lucky days out for leitrim and now we are facing some big teams who have had a few bad seasons but have turned it around namely cork and Derry and unfortunately we have these two games first. It will be a big blow to confidence if we loose both and we could go on to loose all div 3 games which would be tough to take.

I think we should have conceded the game as that result has done nothing positive for anyone, the stag party was timed and managed very badly two weeks before the league starts is a joke.
Underage coaches now will be getting more focus and questioning as the U20 result is an new low. Who ate the coaches and what are their credentials? We need to be seeing some improvement in results surely if we have 3 full time coaches

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 291 - 13/01/2020 08:54:59    2259298

Link

Replying To GaaGaelic:  "To suggest Terry Hyland doesn't have what it takes is an idiotic comment. Look at the job he done with Cavan underage and senior. Fave the facts that Roscommon are miles ahead likewise Galway and Mayo.
Connaught is not in their plans as at the moment it's not realistic. For this year and the next anyway."
Crazy that leitrim fans calling for managers head again, it cannot always be the managers fault. This is a man that has gotten cavan to division 1,an all ireland qf, ,multiple u21 titles, multiple club titles and dragged leitrim out of division 4.

Maybe Leitrim fans need to look closer to home for the answers.
The culture within the county is very smalltime, not willing to put in the same efforts as serious teams. Always running to the 'small county with small pick' line, nobody is expecting to compete for all irelands but it shouldnt be expecting to much to as tough as competitive as teams like Monaghan/Longford/fermanagh etc who have similar picks

Ask yourself, Would any serious team have lost so many players to a stag so close to the league starting? Not a chance

Pullhard1985 (USA) - Posts: 68 - 13/01/2020 09:52:51    2259311

Link

was at the game yesterday, i struggle to see any positive that can be taking from it. lads missing is well documented but certainly lot of lads played that will be playing league football in 2 weeks time. McKiernan is goal was poor, has to be said his distribution is his achilles heel and it showed up again yday. P Maguire tried hard but looked more sluggish than normal. Reynolds roasted in the corner, aidan flynn id say had a good battle with his marker but thats a rossie that prob wont even be in the 26 for league games, stil scored 1-3 or 1-4. management very naive with flanagan in midfield, once that man picks up a yellow, you either take him off or take him out of traffic, neither was done and I'd say he didnt last 3 minutes before getting another yellow. very disapppointed with conor dolan, big step up from club to inter county and he struggled badly. Its harsh but im being honest, were miles off. at half time the rossies were out on the pitch running the subs from the 45 to the end line, we had 2 bucks out kicking a football. we dont need to be beating the neighbours but jesus a 30 point hammering is unacceptable.

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 13/01/2020 12:21:24    2259364

Link

Replying To Rossie2020:  "Wouldn't ye love to be playing in an all Ireland quarter final replay as Connacht champions, will never happen!"
Leitrim were the last connacht team out from galway and Mayo to play in an all-Ireland semi final if you want to state facts

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 13/01/2020 13:16:07    2259380

Link