Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Yondu:  "How hard was it for Hyland to let him know he wasn't part of his plans for 2020? A player that has given that amount of service to Leitrim over the years deserve that bit of respect."
Should he have rang every single player in leitrim that wasn't on the panel v Wicklow or Clare in the qualifiers.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 20/12/2019 00:49:35    2255652

Link

Sorry to poke my nose across the border but it is madness in my opinion, probably the only player in Leitrim that would start for Ourselves, Mayo or Galway. Outside managers are almost always a bad idea, almost always. The level of frustration he showed by walking after a heavy defeat is what makes him a cut above everyone else. The same in all sports. He has been the best player by a mile in Leitrim over the past 15 years. Look at Soccer, golf, any sport it is the player that is a lose cannon and can be hard to manage that will win you a game when no one else can. Connolly, Mort, Best, Woods, Alex Higgins, the list goes on. The job of the manager is to create the conditions that allow start players to preform at their best.

Keephimthere (Roscommon) - Posts: 45 - 20/12/2019 07:09:37    2255658

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "He was part of the Leitrim panel for the NFL and Connacht championship last year and he probably expected to be part of the panel next spring. He's not any old club player, he one of Leitrims longest committed and established footballers and it wouldn't have killed Hyland to even give a text on his decision to not select him on his 35 man panel."
Nonsense. Hyland has been around the block a long time and has been very successful, he is probably sick of Mulligan constantly seeking media interviews etc. Hyland shouldnt have to pander to anyone. Leitrim fans are awful bad for making heroes of lads who arent involved (See also conor beirne).
Back the lads who are there and committed

Pullhard1985 (USA) - Posts: 68 - 20/12/2019 09:14:25    2255662

Link

It may seem a little disrespectful but this is how most GAA or team sports works and we probably should be told to expect this from the offset. Once you're deemed surplus to requirement or not seen to be buying into the thing or you simply can't, the herd will move on without you. Jimmy McGuiness referenced it in his book when a bad injury forced him to retire from Intercounty. Nothing prepared him for how silent the phone went or something to that effect.
All though dead in the water now, not too many Leitrim players were called up to Connacht in the last 10 years when he was. Kept our scoreboards ticking over with lovely scores when we hadn't another forward on the pitch. He'll continue to be a servant now as a selector. Thanks for the efforts and Good luck to him.
Good luck Leitrim for 2020 in Div.3. In the words of Jack Charlton: "Go and compete!"

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 20/12/2019 13:29:01    2255689

Link

Replying To Keephimthere:  "Sorry to poke my nose across the border but it is madness in my opinion, probably the only player in Leitrim that would start for Ourselves, Mayo or Galway. Outside managers are almost always a bad idea, almost always. The level of frustration he showed by walking after a heavy defeat is what makes him a cut above everyone else. The same in all sports. He has been the best player by a mile in Leitrim over the past 15 years. Look at Soccer, golf, any sport it is the player that is a lose cannon and can be hard to manage that will win you a game when no one else can. Connolly, Mort, Best, Woods, Alex Higgins, the list goes on. The job of the manager is to create the conditions that allow start players to preform at their best."
Milligan wouldn't make the Ballinamore or Glencar/Manor clubs first 15 at this stage.Whens the last time you seen him play?He was a great servant to Leitrim to be fair but time waits for no man and Terry has enough to do without pandering to primadonnas looking for a gig in the media.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 20/12/2019 18:01:27    2255710

Link

Replying To Keephimthere:  "Sorry to poke my nose across the border but it is madness in my opinion, probably the only player in Leitrim that would start for Ourselves, Mayo or Galway. Outside managers are almost always a bad idea, almost always. The level of frustration he showed by walking after a heavy defeat is what makes him a cut above everyone else. The same in all sports. He has been the best player by a mile in Leitrim over the past 15 years. Look at Soccer, golf, any sport it is the player that is a lose cannon and can be hard to manage that will win you a game when no one else can. Connolly, Mort, Best, Woods, Alex Higgins, the list goes on. The job of the manager is to create the conditions that allow start players to preform at their best."
He wouldn't get on the Mayo or Galway junior panels. He got praised for one championship game against Galway years ago when he scored a load of frees and that was it.
He walked from Leitrim in a huff last year and appeared on rte radio commentating on a Longford game while his own county was playing Clare in the qualifiers at the same time.
He got playing in the division 4 final ahead of lads who had been bursting a gut all winter and spring getting us there and he was so off the pace it was embarrassing. I wish him luck in his self imposed county retirement.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 21/12/2019 15:17:43    2255797

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "He wouldn't get on the Mayo or Galway junior panels. He got praised for one championship game against Galway years ago when he scored a load of frees and that was it.
He walked from Leitrim last year and appeared on rte radio commentating on a Longford game while his own county was playing Clare in the qualifiers at the same time.
He got playing in the division 4 final ahead of lads who had been bursting a gut all winter and spring getting us there and he was so off the pace it was embarrassing. I wish him luck in his self imposed county retirement."
Yes it is very pathetic from him. To be fair and balanced maybe terry wants more this year from his players. Mulligan didn't like to work too hard or was never great for getting dirty ball or going in hard etc. He minded himself on the field. I think terry is trying to instil a sense of steel in the team, of tough men who will get stuck in and I think he felt that emlyn is not of that mindset.

But to be fair we were promoted last year without him. We had promotion in the bag before he came back from injury so that proves we are a good team, prob better team without him as he slows up the game and is unable/unwilling to track back.

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 24/12/2019 00:09:42    2256055

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "How hard was it for Hyland to let him know he wasn't part of his plans for 2020? A player that has given that amount of service to Leitrim over the years deserve that bit of respect."
Well said. Why are posters so hostile to a player who just wants to play for his County.Don't read any criticism of other players who won't commit or in the case of two former County players are sulking because Terry did'nt start them. Good luck to Emlyn who joins Bennie Guckian in the U17 County set up.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 28/12/2019 17:39:40    2256331

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Well said. Why are posters so hostile to a player who just wants to play for his County.Don't read any criticism of other players who won't commit or in the case of two former County players are sulking because Terry did'nt start them. Good luck to Emlyn who joins Bennie Guckian in the U17 County set up."
Maybe it's because the other two players (whoever they are) don't run to the media every chance they can get to publicly whinge about it.

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 28/12/2019 20:07:56    2256342

Link

some moronic posts up here about mulligan, a player who has been a good servant to leitrim and came back from multiple ACL injuries. Terry Hyland is entitled to pick who he wants, Mulligan still wants to play for the county, leave it at that lads........

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 492 - 30/12/2019 13:20:39    2256509

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "some moronic posts up here about mulligan, a player who has been a good servant to leitrim and came back from multiple ACL injuries. Terry Hyland is entitled to pick who he wants, Mulligan still wants to play for the county, leave it at that lads........"
He wants to play until he wants to walk out again you mean. He has been a reasonable servant to Leitrim, but there are others plugging away diligently for longer without a quarter of the attention seeking.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 30/12/2019 14:51:22    2256518

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "some moronic posts up here about mulligan, a player who has been a good servant to leitrim and came back from multiple ACL injuries. Terry Hyland is entitled to pick who he wants, Mulligan still wants to play for the county, leave it at that lads........"
Sure we would all love to play for the county. That's what most young lads aspire to do growing up. He has had a good innings. Time to leave the stage gracefully and grow up. He should be acting as a role model, not constantly self promoting. It's very tiresome. He's a division four player from a very mediocre footballing county. Couldn't hack Dublin club football and had to come back. Says it all really. If he loves his county that much he would not have went travelling and would not have put his own personal welfare ahead if the team last year when he walked out. He could have been used as a sounding board for younger lads. Be great if he had the grace and dignity of someone truly iconic like Bernard brogan, Marc o sé, Andy Moran etc etc who when they didn't start stuck around and helped out with encouragement and goodwill. But with him it's all me me me!! Sick of him as most people are. Wish people would see the wood for the trees. Glad he's gone as are majority of people I've spoken to. Over rated player, mostly by his own personal pr machine!!

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 30/12/2019 22:22:08    2256580

Link

Sure we would all love to play for the county. That's what most young lads aspire to do growing up. He has had a good innings. Time to leave the stage gracefully and grow up. He should be acting as a role model, not constantly self promoting. It's very tiresome. He's a division four player from a very mediocre footballing county. Couldn't hack Dublin club football and had to come back. Says it all really. If he loves his county that much he would not have went travelling and would not have put his own personal welfare ahead if the team last year when he walked out. He could have been used as a sounding board for younger lads. Be great if he had the grace and dignity of someone truly iconic like Bernard brogan, Marc o sé, Andy Moran etc etc who when they didn't start stuck around and helped out with encouragement and goodwill. But with him it's all me me me!! Sick of him as most people are. Wish people would see the wood for the trees. Glad he's gone as are majority of people I've spoken to. Over rated player, mostly by his own personal pr machine!!

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 30/12/2019 22:26:27    2256582

Link

In fairness he was a great bit of stuff... tough and talented but unfortunately his day is done.... he should be very greatful as he had a decent county career and was always a step ahead of the rest in club football.

ulleJ1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 03/01/2020 22:32:30    2257209

Link

It's great Leitrim can move on now with dedicated players who are committed to being team players and hopefully regain division 3 status and if we are most likely in a tier 2 all Ireland that we give that a good rattle too

the_ayatollah (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 04/01/2020 13:23:26    2257271

Link

Replying To ulleJ1:  "In fairness he was a great bit of stuff... tough and talented but unfortunately his day is done.... he should be very greatful as he had a decent county career and was always a step ahead of the rest in club football."
Wouldn't agree with him being tough. Never saw him put in a hard tackle in my life and he certainly didn't like tracking back.

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 04/01/2020 13:36:20    2257274

Link

Replying To leitrim4live:  "Wouldn't agree with him being tough. Never saw him put in a hard tackle in my life and he certainly didn't like tracking back."
Can I ask what you have achieved in your own playing career that gives you the right to criticise an amateur player in such a way? Evem if you had 10 All Irelands it wouldn't justify such comments. What's eating you up and causing such bitterness? I'm no huge Mulligan fan but at the end of the day any player that commits to what was a lost cause, lets be honest, for so many years deserves at least some level of respect or maybe sympathy.

Expectingrain (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 04/01/2020 15:58:38    2257306

Link

Replying To Expectingrain:  "Can I ask what you have achieved in your own playing career that gives you the right to criticise an amateur player in such a way? Evem if you had 10 All Irelands it wouldn't justify such comments. What's eating you up and causing such bitterness? I'm no huge Mulligan fan but at the end of the day any player that commits to what was a lost cause, lets be honest, for so many years deserves at least some level of respect or maybe sympathy."
I have achieved something similar to what mulligan achieved which is very little. I stated the truth, notice you didn't disagree with what I said. I stated facts and they are my opinion. If you do not agree that is your choice. But to lecture me on respect etc and then take that tone smacks of hypocrisy and I demand that you quit it imminently.

leitrim4live (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 04/01/2020 16:48:06    2257319

Link

What was everyone's most enjoyable game of 2019 there was a good few. For me it was actually the FBD game v Mayo the game had everything. High scoring, controversy, penalties and I left that day really looking forward to the league ahead. It didn't disappoint either. The league games especially the close ones against Wicklow and Limerick were great but hard to enjoy them as they were tense and nervey watching on.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 04/01/2020 18:34:32    2257342

Link

Replying To leitrim4live:  "I have achieved something similar to what mulligan achieved which is very little. I stated the truth, notice you didn't disagree with what I said. I stated facts and they are my opinion. If you do not agree that is your choice. But to lecture me on respect etc and then take that tone smacks of hypocrisy and I demand that you quit it imminently."
So facts and 'your opinion' are the same thing. Sound. Mulligan played at a good level in Dublin and won county titles with his Club as well as being one of Leitrim's best players for years. I'm sure you've done the same.

Expectingrain (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 04/01/2020 19:03:45    2257352

Link