Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

decent performance, ability to take scores was the difference, McKiernan made a couple of brilliant saves in fairness to him, but his kickouts aren't good enough, I'd be interested in seeing how many we lost, also Domhnaill Flynn isn't up to it. doesn't really offer any scoring threat from play (well not enough) and for his size doesn't offer enough ball winning capabilities around the middle. Paddy Maguire & shane Quinn were excellent, Dean McGovern drove at them as best he could and won a lot of frees. Longford is a massive game sunday, it'll make or break us. I can't see why we can't get a result.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 03/02/2020 10:08:35    2264752

Link

Not often, I would come away from a 9-point defeat with a positive attitude but there was lots to like about that performance.
Cork played with a huge breeze in the first half, which seem to miraculously die down in the second period unfortunately.

The 7 minutes before half time where Cork scored 1-2 killed the game especially as many of the scores came as a result of our own unforced errors. Was always going to take time to get used to playing at this level and this was to be somewhat expected.

We lost our Fullback and our Centre back to injury and once again started the game without Ryan O'Rourke and Mark Plunkett we can't do much without them two in particular - I'm told Plunkett isn't to far away but any word when O'Rourke will be back?. Ray Mulvey and Pearce Dolan came on but they clearly lack match fitness. All four are nailed on starters in my view.

We really really struggled on our own kickouts. Although it has to be said McKiernan made some outstanding saves! Kickouts are becoming a real problem. Would be harsh but Brendan Flynn is on the bench is he worth a look?
Darragh Rooney had a great Goal opportunity in the first half and if we were going to hang onto the game it just had to go in.
I thought Shane Quinn and Keith Beirne were once again our best performers!

Cannot wait to see Beirne and O'Rourke play together! And Dolan and Mark Plunkett should really help with our fielding and physicality and Plunkett in particular is well able to kick scores which is needed!

Rounds 3 and 4 are going to define our whole season! Getting all our players fit is our only chance if we are going to impact these games!

Pauric Davis is going to know the Leitrim team inside out but Gary Donoghue from coaching in Longford should have a good idea of a lot of their players!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 03/02/2020 11:04:17    2264774

Link

This weekend will be very Intresting. If we can rattle Longford then we have made great strides forward. You'd hope the management team had ear marked these 2 up coming games as the target games and being honest we prob have one bonus point already from the Derry game. I'm hoping that they held back Plunkett and o Rourke for the Longford game and they will be fit to play some part although I'm sure they would have togged yesterday and at least did the warm up with the lads. Mulvey looked lovely when he came on. Hopefully Gilheaney will be ok also. Thought he had a massive game yesterday. My changes would be O Rourke in for Flynn, Plunkett in for McCaffery and dolan in for Gilheaney if he's out. Obviously Plunkett going in at center back. Ideally I think I'd put Plunkett to midfield with wrynn. If we can have wrynn, Plunkett, dolan, Mc govern and Gilheaney around that middle area we have lots of options for kick outs. The lack of scorers is a problem I think Ryan o Rourke will help that tho. Evan Sweeney kicked a nice score when he came on and he could be an option instead of darragh Rooney in that position .

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 03/02/2020 14:55:10    2264881

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Not often, I would come away from a 9-point defeat with a positive attitude but there was lots to like about that performance.
Cork played with a huge breeze in the first half, which seem to miraculously die down in the second period unfortunately.

The 7 minutes before half time where Cork scored 1-2 killed the game especially as many of the scores came as a result of our own unforced errors. Was always going to take time to get used to playing at this level and this was to be somewhat expected.

We lost our Fullback and our Centre back to injury and once again started the game without Ryan O'Rourke and Mark Plunkett we can't do much without them two in particular - I'm told Plunkett isn't to far away but any word when O'Rourke will be back?. Ray Mulvey and Pearce Dolan came on but they clearly lack match fitness. All four are nailed on starters in my view.

We really really struggled on our own kickouts. Although it has to be said McKiernan made some outstanding saves! Kickouts are becoming a real problem. Would be harsh but Brendan Flynn is on the bench is he worth a look?
Darragh Rooney had a great Goal opportunity in the first half and if we were going to hang onto the game it just had to go in.
I thought Shane Quinn and Keith Beirne were once again our best performers!

Cannot wait to see Beirne and O'Rourke play together! And Dolan and Mark Plunkett should really help with our fielding and physicality and Plunkett in particular is well able to kick scores which is needed!

Rounds 3 and 4 are going to define our whole season! Getting all our players fit is our only chance if we are going to impact these games!

Pauric Davis is going to know the Leitrim team inside out but Gary Donoghue from coaching in Longford should have a good idea of a lot of their players!"
Agree that Terry will have to focus on kickouts.Diarmaid is not at fault for our lack of possession on kick outs- there is little or no movement from our back line when he is lining up. It's now a major priority.Ryan could be in on Sunday it's touch & go. Jack is definitely out for next 2 games due to HIA proctocols as is Mark Plunkett. Good news is Ray Mulvey should start after his impressive cameo last Sunday. Ditto Evan Sweeney should add firepower up front.Still think Terry should bring in Emlyn from the cold but is unlikely.Who will fill centre half back? Longford with respect are not Cork or Derry so Terry will have our lads in the right frame of mind having addressed the loose play against Cork.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 05/02/2020 01:57:37    2265260

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Agree that Terry will have to focus on kickouts.Diarmaid is not at fault for our lack of possession on kick outs- there is little or no movement from our back line when he is lining up. It's now a major priority.Ryan could be in on Sunday it's touch & go. Jack is definitely out for next 2 games due to HIA proctocols as is Mark Plunkett. Good news is Ray Mulvey should start after his impressive cameo last Sunday. Ditto Evan Sweeney should add firepower up front.Still think Terry should bring in Emlyn from the cold but is unlikely.Who will fill centre half back? Longford with respect are not Cork or Derry so Terry will have our lads in the right frame of mind having addressed the loose play against Cork."
Yeah you're right Ted... Longford are not Cork or Derry. They just ran a better Cork team to what they have now to a couple of points in the championship 2 years ago and beat Derry I think 3 out of the last 4 times they have played them in league and championship!!

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 763 - 05/02/2020 14:45:10    2265385

Link

I fancy yee for the win on this weekend. Terry Hyland seems to be an excellent manager with a head on his shoulder. I think we might do well to try and get his services when he brings Leitrim as far as he can't. Best of luck at weekend anyway

futtbull (Roscommon) - Posts: 13 - 06/02/2020 13:39:47    2265669

Link

We have more than enough to beat longford on Sunday but could be a dog fight with the weather that's coming. Leitrim by 3

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 06/02/2020 15:04:27    2265701

Link

http://hoganstand.com/Forum/FindPost?MessageID=2265385

We appreciate your continuous interest and concern Oddball.It is always good to have a concerned neighbour.

Come on Leitrim

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 06/02/2020 21:20:17    2265789

Link

Replying To Oddball:  "Yeah you're right Ted... Longford are not Cork or Derry. They just ran a better Cork team to what they have now to a couple of points in the championship 2 years ago and beat Derry I think 3 out of the last 4 times they have played them in league and championship!!"
Some good observations , good luck against Clare.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 07/02/2020 15:35:52    2265967

Link

They must have closed the roof

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 09/02/2020 11:18:14    2266287

Link

Massive game today was privately hoping it would be called off giving our injured players more time to recover however we'll have to make do with what's available. Hoping for the best today best of luck lads

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 09/02/2020 13:20:48    2266322

Link

Not sure what the feeling is now among supporters. I honestly thought we would be well able to match them today. Credit to longford for kicking on in the second half and probably could have notched up another 2 goals if it wasn't for McKieran. I noticed Davis has that Cavan trainer in this year that he had in Mohill when they were a miles ahead of other teams in the county in terms of fitness and that was shown today compared to our lads. I do think our lads have improved in their fitness from last year and Reilly is doing great work. Also a plus seeing Ryan get game time and hopefully that brings him on for the next 2 make or break games.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 09/02/2020 16:52:58    2266426

Link

Very disappointing defeat today and the manner of our second half performance particularly disappointing. We were so wasteful in possession and our shot selection was awful. Despite us having lots of men back , Longford easily punched holes in our defence and could have had more goals. The centre of our defence is far too open and we're conceding far too much. After fighting so hard to get out of division 4 it looks like we are going straight back down with a whimper. Absolute must win against offaly now lose that I think we're gone. Point lost in Derry now looks costly with each passing game.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 09/02/2020 17:49:14    2266462

Link

A bad result in pearse park.we did not show up for the 2nd half or was it that longford upped it a gear that we had no answer to.some terrible shooting in 2nd half.we need to win against offaly to have a chance of staying up, still think we can do it. On a sidenote - Dont know how many times today the ref let players take more than the 4 steps with the ball. It's happening in every game now though. We have all these new rules & the basic rules are not being followed.

Tosher29 (Leitrim) - Posts: 8 - 09/02/2020 20:46:50    2266562

Link

very disappointed with the result yesterday, especially the second half, we did well in the first but completely collapsed in the second, no cutting edge, no man willing to break the tackle out round the middle. our ball winning capabilities too around the middle are poor. I also think we need to look at the full back position, Is oisin mccafrey worth a try there. I thought mctague look slow and cumbersome yesterday. I suppose on a positive note was the return of ryan O'Rourke, we need his scoring threat badly.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 10/02/2020 08:54:36    2266677

Link

Poor performance yesterday. We're very wasteful in scoring positions. Some of the shot selection was terrible. As in the Cork match there were a lot of stupid mistakes. We're being punished at this level but they can be rectified. Good to see Ryan O Rourke back. The forwards weren't giving enough options and need to use the width. We need the ball to stick when it goes in. Run at teams. You either get turned over, break the line or you get a free. If you're static you're asking for a turnover. Dean mc governs run resulted in a goal. Daragh Rooney got it but he's a poacher not a target man. Keith beirne needs to play closer to the square. Ray Mulvey needs to start.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 10/02/2020 12:00:16    2266757

Link

Seems that school boy errors are costing us in division 3. Shooting from way outside the range, wrong players shooting, No patience to work the ball in to a scoring position, No kick out strategy, decimated in the midfield every game, to many silly fouls leading to sending off and too open in defence teams are walking through us. 13 wides yesterday and a man on a yellow commits a silly foul and leaves us a man down chasing the game. We need to mature as a team but the coaching has a lot to do with it, surely we can work something on kick outs. I think longford and cork are two of the top teams in the division so we could still stay up if we beat offaly, Louth and pick up one point against down or tipp however we need to change the game plan a bit. Maybe try Ray Mulvey at 15 but playing as a sweeper and tighten defence but also a good attacking option. Mark Plunkett and Ryan o Rourke may need to start the next day at the expense of Donal flynn and pierce Dolan. Need to play better ball in to the inside forwards too time and time again the ball going is doesn't find the man it's just not acceptable in division 3 if we want to stay up.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 291 - 10/02/2020 12:11:02    2266760

Link

Lads, I told ye to show Longford a bit of respect. But I do think ye will take Louth as I don't think they are very good and morale is low as a row seems to be going on over some u-20 players that were denied playing a championship game at the weekend to save them for the senior game that ended up been postponed. I think ye will also take Offaly as well just because of their cockiness. Go on their other GAA forum and they are talking about promotion and not about consolidating. They are terrible but yet think they are a Division 2 side!

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 763 - 10/02/2020 23:23:17    2266949

Link

Two sobering games after a great start. The Cork game I always felt we'd be up against it. But I thought we'd be well able for Longford. There is still a long way to go. Five points out of a remaining eight would save us I'd say and shouldn't be beyond the bounds of reasonableness

creelhim (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 11/02/2020 15:28:52    2267079

Link

To all who predict doom: currently, Leitrim have played the teams in positions 1, 2 and 3 in the division, picking up a draw against the team in third, and they've yet to play the teams in positions 4, 5, 6 and 8. I wouldn't be too despondent just yet.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 561 - 15/02/2020 22:50:44    2267894

Link