Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Has anyone seen NFL fixtures for 2020 yet? They should be out by now. Other counties have released their fixtures. So far, I can see that Leitrim will be away to Longford (9 Feb) and Louth (2 March).

Not good as they are two teams I'd have hoped to have had home fixtures against. Also, Longford and Louth will each have four home fixtures making it more likely that Leitrim will have only three matches at home. Having played Derry away last year I expect that fixture will be in Carrick?

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 135 - 25/11/2019 21:53:43    2251432

Link

Jan 25th vs Derry (away)

Feb 2nd vs Cork (home)

Feb 9th vs Longford (away)

Feb 23rd vs Offaly (home)

Mar 1st vs Louth (away)

Mar 15th vs Down (away)

Mar 22nd vs Tipperary (home)

Very tough draw in an extremley hard division 3, very tough opening and closing two games for us, four away games not helping us at all either. We have to make hay in the middle three games and nick a win or draw in some of the first two and last two games.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 26/11/2019 08:19:16    2251470

Link

Replying To offyertrolley:  "Has anyone seen NFL fixtures for 2020 yet? They should be out by now. Other counties have released their fixtures. So far, I can see that Leitrim will be away to Longford (9 Feb) and Louth (2 March).

Not good as they are two teams I'd have hoped to have had home fixtures against. Also, Longford and Louth will each have four home fixtures making it more likely that Leitrim will have only three matches at home. Having played Derry away last year I expect that fixture will be in Carrick?"
I think we have four away games, three home. Not great

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 26/11/2019 08:28:39    2251474

Link

These Three games have to be targeted. Obviously 3 teams that have been playing at a higher level but all three are entirely winnable if we get things going well.

Mar 1st vs Louth (away)

From what I've heard both the S&C and the pitch training have gone up a notch this year which is a great sign.

Will be interesting to see who makes the final cut for the league.

Hopefully with the U20s and seniors having the same management it will lead to big panels along with the same amount of lads on the panel during the league that Terry had last year.

Can only be a good things for clubs aswell if men are training at a higher standard week in week out.

Any talk of challenge games etc coming up?

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 27/11/2019 04:44:56    2251717

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Jan 25th vs Derry (away)

Feb 2nd vs Cork (home)

Mar 1st vs Louth (away)

Mar 15th vs Down (away)

Mar 22nd vs Tipperary (home)

Very tough draw in an extremley hard division 3, very tough opening and closing two games for us, four away games not helping us at all either. We have to make hay in the middle three games and nick a win or draw in some of the first two and last two games."
Yes extremely tough. I'd expect a max for 4 or 5 points for Leitrim, 5 points kept Offaly up this year

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 302 - 27/11/2019 17:38:47    2251838

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "These Three games have to be targeted. Obviously 3 teams that have been playing at a higher level but all three are entirely winnable if we get things going well.

Mar 1st vs Louth (away)

From what I've heard both the S&C and the pitch training have gone up a notch this year which is a great sign.

Will be interesting to see who makes the final cut for the league.

Hopefully with the U20s and seniors having the same management it will lead to big panels along with the same amount of lads on the panel during the league that Terry had last year.

Can only be a good things for clubs aswell if men are training at a higher standard week in week out.

Any talk of challenge games etc coming up?"
Wont make much odds to club teams if they cant use their county players. Was a big issue in the last especially at u20 level. Teams were left without strong u20 players because they had to train for 4 months to lose first round of the u20 championship.

LetItInHigh (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 27/11/2019 19:29:42    2251858

Link

Replying To LetItInHigh:  "Wont make much odds to club teams if they cant use their county players. Was a big issue in the last especially at u20 level. Teams were left without strong u20 players because they had to train for 4 months to lose first round of the u20 championship."
With experienced management in at u20 level this year I'd say that won't be an issue.

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 28/11/2019 12:01:34    2251931

Link

The All Ireland final of the under 20s is the end of March this year. Clubs will be fine.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 287 - 28/11/2019 12:37:13    2251939

Link

We'll need at least 6 pts to stay up and who knows we might surprise a few teams as we should definitely be stronger this year.We don't want to do a Carlow and go straight back down.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 28/11/2019 18:15:19    2252011

Link

The fixtures the way it's working out prob give leitrim the best chance of getting something from either Derry or Cork I know it's a long shot but Derry will be without the slaughtneil players due to hurling commitments and Cork will be without the Nemo players due to club commitments. Still a huge task but what a confidence boost it would give the lads if they could rattle any of these 2 teams especially going into that middle 3 games which will really define our chances of staying in the league. Also intresting that we play tipp in the last game In Carrick there is a chance that tipp might be out of the running for promotion and might give the squad players game time which would obviously play into Leitrim's hands to try get a result in that game also.

Any word of any challenge games?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 02/12/2019 00:32:43    2252593

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "The fixtures the way it's working out prob give leitrim the best chance of getting something from either Derry or Cork I know it's a long shot but Derry will be without the slaughtneil players due to hurling commitments and Cork will be without the Nemo players due to club commitments. Still a huge task but what a confidence boost it would give the lads if they could rattle any of these 2 teams especially going into that middle 3 games which will really define our chances of staying in the league. Also intresting that we play tipp in the last game In Carrick there is a chance that tipp might be out of the running for promotion and might give the squad players game time which would obviously play into Leitrim's hands to try get a result in that game also.

Any word of any challenge games?"
As the club semi finals are earlier this year there is a good chance that the Slaughtneil & Nemo players will be back with their counties by the time Leitrim play them

Rossiemad (None) - Posts: 87 - 03/12/2019 01:35:32    2252847

Link

Replying To Rossiemad:  "As the club semi finals are earlier this year there is a good chance that the Slaughtneil & Nemo players will be back with their counties by the time Leitrim play them"
Semi finals aren't until mid January unlikely even if both loose they wlll start for the county team with just 2 weeks training done with the group.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 03/12/2019 23:27:55    2253085

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "The fixtures the way it's working out prob give leitrim the best chance of getting something from either Derry or Cork I know it's a long shot but Derry will be without the slaughtneil players due to hurling commitments and Cork will be without the Nemo players due to club commitments. Still a huge task but what a confidence boost it would give the lads if they could rattle any of these 2 teams especially going into that middle 3 games which will really define our chances of staying in the league. Also intresting that we play tipp in the last game In Carrick there is a chance that tipp might be out of the running for promotion and might give the squad players game time which would obviously play into Leitrim's hands to try get a result in that game also.

Any word of any challenge games?"
Leitrim played Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday. Among those in the squad Keith Beirne, Donal Wrynn at midfield, Jack Gilheaney At Centre half back ,Diarmaid McKiernan in goal and Darragh Rooney. Looks like all the top players singing off the same hymn sheet so Mayo will be our first scalp of the New Year!

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 05/12/2019 01:26:52    2253297

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Leitrim played Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday. Among those in the squad Keith Beirne, Donal Wrynn at midfield, Jack Gilheaney At Centre half back ,Diarmaid McKiernan in goal and Darragh Rooney. Looks like all the top players singing off the same hymn sheet so Mayo will be our first scalp of the New Year!"
I like the sound of that.Any score for us,not that it's too important

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 05/12/2019 09:29:21    2253316

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Leitrim played Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday. Among those in the squad Keith Beirne, Donal Wrynn at midfield, Jack Gilheaney At Centre half back ,Diarmaid McKiernan in goal and Darragh Rooney. Looks like all the top players singing off the same hymn sheet so Mayo will be our first scalp of the New Year!"
We will win nothing with two players in Goal.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 05/12/2019 10:28:18    2253330

Link

Replying To FatRef:  "We will win nothing with two players in Goal."
!!! Darragh Rooney was outfield!

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 06/12/2019 18:16:52    2253605

Link

Hearing very good things about the training and S&C that has been going on this year so far.

Great to see Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne and Darragh Rooney back involved with the panel - 3 players who will all arguably be close to starting or definite starters.

One thing I would worry about is how young the panel is - The youngest in the country I would guess.

From last years team we have lost Sean McWeeney (previous captain) Gary and Noel Plunkett (serial winners with the Willies) and then you consider the likes of Mulligan, Reynolds, etc who left aswell. That's before you consider that Michael McWeeney might not be back either. Oisin Madden could also be gone.

Now some of those would not have featured etc but from a leadership point of view we are going to need players to really step up.

Very excited about the potential in this team though.

Diarmuid McKiernan

Conor Reynolds/Michael McWeeney
Fergal McTague
Paddy Maguire

Ray Mulvey
Jack Gilheany
Aidan Flynn

Donal Wrynn
Pearce Dolan

Jack Heslin
Mark Plunkett
Shane Quinn

Darragh Rooney
Shane Moran
Ryan O'Rourke

That team would excite me. Obviously the big risk is Jack Gilheany at 6. but we don't have many options unless we put Mark Plunkett back there which would be robbing Peter to pay Paul in my eyes.

With the events over the last few days we now have the biggest open goal ever presented to Leitrim football. Get Declan Darcy involved in some capacity.

How can we afford to not even try?

Now look, after how intense his last few years have been he might not want or have the time to be fully committed but some role has to be found for him.

I'm sure the Willies have the same notions to get him involved somehow but we'd be absolutely crazy not to atleast try.

He has been the Dublin defence coach for the past few years and that is exactly where we are struggling. Imagine the buy in he would receive from the players the minute he walks into a room.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 08/12/2019 08:46:01    2253771

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Semi finals aren't until mid January unlikely even if both loose they wlll start for the county team with just 2 weeks training done with the group."
The club semi finals are on the 4th/5th of January so if Nemo & Slaughtneil were to lose their respective semi finals (which I think they will), I'd imagine that their players would be back with the county in 3 weeks time but I could be wrong.

Is Conor Dolan on the panel?

Rossiemad (None) - Posts: 87 - 08/12/2019 09:30:03    2253778

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Hearing very good things about the training and S&C that has been going on this year so far.

Great to see Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne and Darragh Rooney back involved with the panel - 3 players who will all arguably be close to starting or definite starters.

One thing I would worry about is how young the panel is - The youngest in the country I would guess.

From last years team we have lost Sean McWeeney (previous captain) Gary and Noel Plunkett (serial winners with the Willies) and then you consider the likes of Mulligan, Reynolds, etc who left aswell. That's before you consider that Michael McWeeney might not be back either. Oisin Madden could also be gone.

Now some of those would not have featured etc but from a leadership point of view we are going to need players to really step up.

Very excited about the potential in this team though.

Diarmuid McKiernan

Conor Reynolds/Michael McWeeney
Fergal McTague
Paddy Maguire

Ray Mulvey
Jack Gilheany
Aidan Flynn

Donal Wrynn
Pearce Dolan

Jack Heslin
Mark Plunkett
Shane Quinn

Darragh Rooney
Shane Moran
Ryan O'Rourke

That team would excite me. Obviously the big risk is Jack Gilheany at 6. but we don't have many options unless we put Mark Plunkett back there which would be robbing Peter to pay Paul in my eyes.

With the events over the last few days we now have the biggest open goal ever presented to Leitrim football. Get Declan Darcy involved in some capacity.

How can we afford to not even try?

Now look, after how intense his last few years have been he might not want or have the time to be fully committed but some role has to be found for him.

I'm sure the Willies have the same notions to get him involved somehow but we'd be absolutely crazy not to atleast try.

He has been the Dublin defence coach for the past few years and that is exactly where we are struggling. Imagine the buy in he would receive from the players the minute he walks into a room."
Jack Heslin, Conor Cullen, Niall McGovern, Conor Dolan, Michael McWeeney and Cathal McCrann not around this year, all for different reasons. Declan Darcy would be brilliant for Leitrim Football but i cant see him being interested for a while. He could replace Jim Gavin.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 08/12/2019 16:27:25    2253823

Link

Any word on challenge games played or coming up?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 09/12/2019 11:16:50    2253908

Link