Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Tashy needs to lay down and rest his head."
tashy will refuse to be silenced on these issues and using put down comments will not work on the thing. Tashy still maintains that Roscommon will win comfortably on Sunday and will go on to Mayo next whereas Tashy hopes Leitrim will have a good run in the qualifiers. Tashy will support the neighbours as always. hoping from a good game anyway.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 09/05/2019 09:59:22    2182660

Link

You would hope Terence's tactical knowledge of the game versus who is essentially a hurling coach will stand to us too. The sideline battle will be very imporfnant isn't he. Ah yes I hope that we are in the melters pot with two or three minutes to go. This could have extra time I have a funny feeling

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/05/2019 10:58:21    2182680

Link

Looking at some team selections seem laughable, how can you start Mulligan? worst player on pitch in Croker bar none.

LeitrimLoyal (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 09/05/2019 11:05:01    2182684

Link

Replying To LeitrimLoyal:  "Looking at some team selections seem laughable, how can you start Mulligan? worst player on pitch in Croker bar none."
You won't get any thanks saying that around here!

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/05/2019 11:26:40    2182688

Link

Replying To LeitrimLoyal:  "Looking at some team selections seem laughable, how can you start Mulligan? worst player on pitch in Croker bar none."
Tashy and all the Rossies hope that Mulligan starts- we will be much happier then

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 09/05/2019 11:45:35    2182692

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "You would hope Terence's tactical knowledge of the game versus who is essentially a hurling coach will stand to us too. The sideline battle will be very imporfnant isn't he. Ah yes I hope that we are in the melters pot with two or three minutes to go. This could have extra time I have a funny feeling"
Hurling coach who with garrycastle and st brigids achieved more than terence ever did at football.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1320 - 09/05/2019 12:17:08    2182698

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Hurling coach who with garrycastle and st brigids achieved more than terence ever did at football."
Unfortunately one person makes up the majority of posters on this forum Ohtobearossie.

Anyway Leitrim's aim in my opinion was to get promoted and have a decent run in the qualifiers this year. One has been achieved. Hopefully Sunday's outcome won't change the other significantly.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 09/05/2019 12:33:44    2182708

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Hurling coach who with garrycastle and st brigids achieved more than terence ever did at football."
Tashy considers this mud slinging to be beneath contempt and it should cease presently! Just to mention not to belittle the Leitrim head coach's credentials- he lead Cavan to division one and also won successive if not three Ulster under 21 titles. Not a bad achievement considering the strength of football in that particular province there some would argue. Tashy would appreciate if people could stop getting personal on this forum- it is uncalled for and not how Tashy was reared

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 09/05/2019 13:23:35    2182725

Link

Few surprises on the team named. Great to see Fergal named at 3. Going to be the next Séamus Quinn of Leitrim football. Aidan Flynn has to be disappointed. Saying that young Reynolds is more suited to the orner and is very good man marker. Obviously Sean mc weeney is doing something special in training. Dean mc Govern is supposed to be carrying a knock. Glad to see paddy maguire at centre back. Will suit his running game. Team looks very strong around the middle third for aerial presence with 5 strong fielders named fom 8 to 12. I expect Shane Quinn to move back and provide cover for Murtagh and Cox. This will free up space for young Heslin to eat up the ground of the Hyde.

Thoughts on the team from all the Leitrim supporters out there

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 09/05/2019 13:24:39    2182727

Link

Leitrim name four championship debutants for Roscommon game. #GAA https://t.co/tKfdU292NP https://t.co/gEG0yoDgcY
Team for Sunday

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 146 - 09/05/2019 13:31:44    2182730

Link

We put it up to Monaghan last year for a half. Realisitically we should have been in front at half time.

No reason why we can't see the same on Sunday.

Best of Luck lads.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 09/05/2019 14:03:53    2182739

Link

Very happy with that team even if it is probably only for Media purposes. Taking that team at face value…. Surprised that either McGloin or Aidan Flynn aren't named to start but I wouldn't be shocked if they were late additions to the team. McGloin for D Flynn and Aidan Flynn for Sean McWeeney.

I would have had Gary Plunkett way ahead of Domhnail Flynn or even Evan Sweeney but once again Terry is boss and obviously sees something in Flynn and obviously doesn't fancy Gary Plunkett strangely.

There a lot more speed in the team which should give us a better opportunity to transition the ball from defence to attack better.

Here's how I expect the formation or shape to be on Sunday

McCrann

Reynolds McTague McWeeney

McWeeney

Quinn Maguire Mulvey

Moran Dolan Plunkett

Flynn

Heslin

O'Rourke Sweeney

In Plunkett, Moran and Dolan we have 3 players well able to dominate in the air as well as being good ball players which should hopefully give us a good platform. I would have preferred either Gary Plunkett or McGloin to take Flynns position/role as I think they possess more speed and move the ball quicker.

Don't think the management had any other option then to start McTague as Cox is such a physical player. If McTague can bring his form from Aughawillans campaign last year into the game on Sunday he will hold his own as I don't think Leitrim have had a full back with his physicality and presence since John McKeown/Seamus Quinn. He is raw though so will need lots of cover.

Can't remember the last time Leitrim have had a bench with calibre and experience of players such as Diarmuid McKiernan, Emlyn Mulligan, Noel Plunkett, Gary Plunkett, Dean McGovern, Cillian McGloin, Aidan Flynn etc

That's even before we consider that Conor Cullen and Darragh Rooney are gone, Damien Moran, Sean Flanagan and Oisin Madden are injured and that Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne, Paul Brennan Kevin Conlan etc. aren't on the panel for various reasons. We also have 4 or 5 u20 players who will make our panel next year. Not expecting Leitrim to win on Saturday but Football in the county is on the up and it hasn't been too often in the last 10 years we have talked positively about our county so we should embrace it.
No reason why that group of players can't really really frighten the Rossies though.

Leitrim ABU!!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 09/05/2019 14:17:11    2182745

Link

Flynn and Reynolds are weak links hope they prove me wrong, the bookies are giving us a 7 point head start which is respectable, hope the Leitrim fans come out in force

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 09/05/2019 14:28:46    2182751

Link

I get excited about this game every year a week beforehand and it always turns out to be a let down and damp squib. We want a performance thats all. We have a lot of young players with time on their side. 2 to 3 years time I think we'll be more ready to take on these lads properly. I feel theres a bit more development to be done with these players. Looking forward to Sunday regardless.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 09/05/2019 14:50:00    2182756

Link

Team named and obviously a few shocks but I don't expect this to be the team to start . injuries list is not to bad in comparison to other years with Damian moran and Sean Flanagan out for the rest of the season, dean mc govern Oisin madden and Cillian mc gloin all picked up injuries in the last few weeks and mc govern and mc gloin where expected to start from reports of one of the players. I feel we have as good as chance as any year to put in a performance against the rossies obviously they will have to much for us yet but the gap is closing. Our full back line is new and very naive in my view with two debutants there where as Roscommon full forward line is there strong point so this is where the game is going to won and lost, no harm to the boys there but everyone knows inter county championship pace is different gravy so will take time but the experience will stand to them and Leitrim football in the long run. I have questions marks over mc Guire at centre back aswell, better suited to man marking so I can see an early switch. The rest of our team is similar to our league campaign So optimistic that the belief is there for the first time in a long time. Still as a loyal Leitrim supporter I find myself jumping ahead but let's put the principles on the table and that we haven't got with in 10 points of Roscommon in the last few meetings, we are in our first year of new management team , Roscommon have played div 1 teams this year while we have played div 4 and our team is still relatively young and still a few years off our prime so it's important to take these factors in after the full time whistle. Still have to remain positive and we go out to win and it's very possible. My Prediction is Roscommon to win by 9 but as I said the gap is closing

hurricane567 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 09/05/2019 16:04:53    2182773

Link

I think looking at the team that Leitrim management has picked, is not the team that will start against Roscommon. I can't see that team holding Roscommon, Conor Cox, and Murtagh will do an awful lot of damage, Paddy Maguire is for me the best man to man marker Leitrim have and he should start at full back. If Leitrim has to have any chance of getting good ball to O Rourke and Heslin, they need the experience of Mulligan at centre forward who is probably one of the best foot passers in the game. Dean Mc Govern should be at Midfield a natural for that position. So I hope that the best team starts on Sunday, and that we rock the Hyde. Up Leitrim

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 09/05/2019 16:56:45    2182784

Link

Terence has learned from his league final mistake and is naming a very strong and wonderful side to take on our nearest rivals

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/05/2019 17:28:21    2182788

Link

Can't see that team starting, can see Mc guire in full back and Quinn back no. 6 and either mulligan or mc gloin starting wing forward. I think championship pace is to fast for Donal flynn and Sean Mc weeney but let's wait and see.
To see progress we must look to be with I 5 or 6 points, looking back to two years ago in the Hyde when the only positive that day was Daragh Rooneys brilliant goal early in the first half we have come along way... I remember half time that day we were at least 10 or 12 points down and John o Mahoney didn't follow the team in at half time he clearly distanced himself from the team as if to say he didn't want to be associated with Leitrim football, that was a low point but there has been a lot of progress made under Terry but the league is over and the championship is a different ball game

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 09/05/2019 19:40:28    2182813

Link

Harley you are spot on, forecast good for weekend, hard fast pitch, Sean and Domhnall bound to struggle, worried about McTague too. Great to see Jack back but think we need him further out. Hopefully Gary Plunkett is brought in early. Ray who has been injured since Croker but I hope he has recovered fully as he and Jack can cause problems going forward. Should open room for Ryan. Mark and Shane have big task ahead in the middle but one they are capable of doing well with. Let's hope for a day where the lads give their all, are in it at half time and like the champions league this week keep going for it. As stated the bench has some very capable lads, best in the longest time, with some of them very peed off at not starting, if those lads channel that right when introduced could be a tight finish. Fingers crossed.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 09/05/2019 21:13:44    2182835

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Harley you are spot on, forecast good for weekend, hard fast pitch, Sean and Domhnall bound to struggle, worried about McTague too. Great to see Jack back but think we need him further out. Hopefully Gary Plunkett is brought in early. Ray who has been injured since Croker but I hope he has recovered fully as he and Jack can cause problems going forward. Should open room for Ryan. Mark and Shane have big task ahead in the middle but one they are capable of doing well with. Let's hope for a day where the lads give their all, are in it at half time and like the champions league this week keep going for it. As stated the bench has some very capable lads, best in the longest time, with some of them very peed off at not starting, if those lads channel that right when introduced could be a tight finish. Fingers crossed."
Yes I agree we have a strong bench however one criticism I would have of the current management is they are slow to bring lads on even when it's clear lads on the field are out of steam. For me plunket should start and mc gloin for his speed alone. I can't understand why enda Smith isn't starting he must be injured?? Or he may just start? Can't understand why managers can't just name the starting 15 that's going to start like is their really an advantage naming the wrong line up? I'm sure it messes with lads heads

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 09/05/2019 22:18:32    2182850

Link