Leitrim Forum

County Manager 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any word on who the 2 leitrim selectors are going to be with highland?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 15/08/2018 00:34:11    2133445

Link

Lots of rumours doing the rounds but nothing definite. Two that seems to be on everyone's mind would be good. It's a secret as well kept as the managerial one was. All in all it seems positive

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 17/08/2018 23:07:07    2134156

Link

Hyland show definitely get you out of Div 4 within 5 years.

Inaroundehouse (Cavan) - Posts: 975 - 22/08/2018 11:46:03    2135556

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Any word on who the 2 leitrim selectors are going to be with highland?"
I expect Belturbet's manager will be with your new manager he is a good man he is called Padraig Dolan. Well respected in the Cavan circle for sure.
Reading the posts I see all ready people are knocking but if you are a betting man I can tell you these men will have your county in division 3 for 2020.
I wish your manager and his back room team all the best going forward. Embrace his methods and you will be half wheres there. Good luck once again.
Tell you one thing I don't think Cavan would be excited about meeting you in the qualifiers next year.

The Quiet Man (Cavan) - Posts: 4533 - 22/08/2018 12:13:03    2135572

Link

I think Hyland is a great appointment. I don't care what his tactics are, we are starved of success in this county so if he gets us promoted it would be massive. The biggest obstacle he has is the players. The players need to buy into his philosophy and do what it takes. Conditioning needs to be stepped up big time and the players need to be 100% committed to it, both in training and outside of training. For the last few seasons some players have not been disciplined enough and the management has taken flak for it. It's time for the talented players to cut out the messing and go for it 100%. I'm very optimistic about what the next couple of years will bring.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 47 - 22/08/2018 14:58:56    2135622

Link

Is it true that Sean Pierson is one of the new selectors

littleben (Leitrim) - Posts: 26 - 23/08/2018 13:55:41    2135938

Link

Any word on Terry's backroom team yet? Enda Lyons is staying on as S&C coach. Other than that it's just pure speculation. I assume it will soon be knowing as I'm sure terry will want to have a meeting with the panel or at least last years panel to see there intention for next year.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 04/09/2018 10:06:56    2139060

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Any word on Terry's backroom team yet? Enda Lyons is staying on as S&C coach. Other than that it's just pure speculation. I assume it will soon be knowing as I'm sure terry will want to have a meeting with the panel or at least last years panel to see there intention for next year."
Padraig Dolan is with him again doing stats, from ballyconnell.

blueman1903 (Cavan) - Posts: 719 - 04/09/2018 11:25:43    2139091

Link

I've heard that Hylands background team is: Gary Donohoe, Padraig Dolan, Ray McBrien, Enda Lyons (S&C) and an unnamed past player.
Now this may all be idle speculation but if Donohoe is involved I'd be happy and I've heard good reports about Padraig Dolan. The Ray McBrien one seems to be a bit random I'm not sure he has much coaching experience but if it's true Hyland must know something about him?
Would still like a good Dublin based trainer as 80% of our panel is based up their now. But I'm sure Hyland was in the exact same position in Cavan so he will have a plan for this.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 04/09/2018 11:47:36    2139099

Link

Who's Padraig dolan?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 04/09/2018 12:36:13    2139107

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "I've heard that Hylands background team is: Gary Donohoe, Padraig Dolan, Ray McBrien, Enda Lyons (S&C) and an unnamed past player.
Now this may all be idle speculation but if Donohoe is involved I'd be happy and I've heard good reports about Padraig Dolan. The Ray McBrien one seems to be a bit random I'm not sure he has much coaching experience but if it's true Hyland must know something about him?
Would still like a good Dublin based trainer as 80% of our panel is based up their now. But I'm sure Hyland was in the exact same position in Cavan so he will have a plan for this."
Ray has done a good bit of coaching with aughvas and other clubs. He would know most players in the county from referring.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 05/09/2018 09:12:42    2139333

Link

League fixtures out.

Wexford at home
Wicklow away
Antrim at home
Limerick away
London at home
Derry away
Waterford at home

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 05/09/2018 11:50:42    2139397

Link

One player I haven't heard much of a mention of here is Nevin O'Donnell. I know he is returning after his third cruciate operation but he definitely still has something to offer. I suspect he will be given a chance to prove himself over the winter. There has also been whispers that his club mate from Shannon Gaels Niall Walsh who has Leitrim links will also be called up to see if he has what it takes to compete at Inter county level. He is an inside forward which I would argue we have enough quality in but I suppose competition breeds success. The word is that two of Castleknocks defenders are also on the radar which would excite me even more. One of them played minor for Leitrim Neville and has links to Gortletragh I believe and the other is from the Quinn family in Aughawillan who has been on the verges of the Dublin panel. In my mind if we are going to target the Leitrim diaspora this is the sort of quality we need to get not just players who are average and a Leitrim club player could do the same. They need to bring us to the next level if they are to be brought in. Although I doubted Enda Lyons appointment in the first place as I thought he lacked experience the reports of his work has been good. I think we should have a full time S&C coach who looks after all our inter-county teams no matter who the manager is. This means that if there is a change in management or a team gets knocked out the S&C work the players are completing carries on and that there is not a sustained gap where there is no progress made or where players slip through the gap. It's my belief that our low population is a help in this regard that we should be able to get a large number of club footballers who are on the verge of the county panel up to the required conditioning and that a gap does not develop over the course of a year if they do not make the panel which then leaves them further behind those who are on said panel. It's hard not to be optimistic about Leitrim in 2019 and hopefully we see standout performances in the rest of the championships.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 05/09/2018 12:47:17    2139420

Link

The recruitment from Dublin hasn't been good lately. The players we have got are no better than we already have. As the previous poster said we need players who can bring us to the next level. The one player I know of that we should do everything to convince to play for us is Thomas Quinn for the simple reason he's a center back which is a problem area for us. I believe he kept Connolly scoreless in a county final in 2016.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 06/09/2018 11:19:28    2139774

Link

Replying To ThePowerhouse:  "League fixtures out.

Wexford at home
Wicklow away
Antrim at home
Limerick away
London at home
Derry away
Waterford at home"
Thats a great draw for Leitrim. If you can target to win those home games no reasons ye couldnt go up.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1298 - 06/09/2018 12:06:38    2139788

Link

http://www.leitrimgaa.ie/2018/09/2019-leitrim-senior-team-management-members-announcement/

A serious lineup, good to see Gary Donohue involved as well. A top footballing man. For the first time in years, I'm feeling positive for the year ahead.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 22/09/2018 12:06:50    2143246

Link

Great coup for Leitrim this is a top man. Cardio fitness will not be an issue in 2019. Great chance of finishing in top half of league with 4 home games, maybe even sneak into final.

Keephimthere (Roscommon) - Posts: 45 - 22/09/2018 12:42:29    2143248

Link

A very good management team I think. Jason O Reilly was heavily linked with the Cavan job so to get him in as a coach with leitrim is impressive. Gary Donahoe is very well respected where ever he goes. He might be the man to get the best players from the willies and Ballinamore playing. Also McGourty is from the north of the county and knows leitrim Football inside out a pure football man. Enda Lyons had the leitrim team in decent shape last year they ran Louth into the ground in Carrick. Lasted extra time in New York. One concern is that in the first few games of the league last year leitrim looked way off the pace. They need to be moving the way the were against Louth in the first league game this year in order to give promotion a rattle. But like everything management is 30% of the jigsaw it's the players and their commitment levels that makes up the other 70% and having the best players available is a must for this county to improve.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 22/09/2018 12:58:04    2143253

Link

Sounds like a very capable management team good luck to them all. Now i hope we have all our best players making themselves available and really attack the league next year.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 22/09/2018 21:34:11    2143298

Link

A serious backroom team. Im very impressed.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 22/09/2018 22:54:02    2143306

Link