Leitrim Forum

County Manager 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

For weeks we have been on tenterhooks about whether Benny and his team will stay on for 2019 after a highly successful 2018 campaign. The departure of Michael Moyles is a huge blow but isn't fatal.
Rumours abound that former successful Mohill manager Padraic Davis could be about to step up to the position. What are people's feelings on the matter?

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 19/07/2018 21:01:40    2123868

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "For weeks we have been on tenterhooks about whether Benny and his team will stay on for 2019 after a highly successful 2018 campaign. The departure of Michael Moyles is a huge blow but isn't fatal.
Rumours abound that former successful Mohill manager Padraic Davis could be about to step up to the position. What are people's feelings on the matter?"
Padraig Davis about to step up?? You for real?does that mean the current manager is being forced out? He obviously doesn't want to go and I feel he should be given more respect than that. They obviously are trying to settle terms with him. It could be costly on the co board and I for one think it is a massive mistake. The team made massive progress this year and how the co board can force out the manager after this is incredulous. However it may be all just media talk I hope as we all know rumours abound at this time of year about all high profile managers.

Terribletwos (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 19/07/2018 22:17:23    2123880

Link

Replying To Terribletwos:  "Padraig Davis about to step up?? You for real?does that mean the current manager is being forced out? He obviously doesn't want to go and I feel he should be given more respect than that. They obviously are trying to settle terms with him. It could be costly on the co board and I for one think it is a massive mistake. The team made massive progress this year and how the co board can force out the manager after this is incredulous. However it may be all just media talk I hope as we all know rumours abound at this time of year about all high profile managers."
Where did Leitrim make progress this year?
Leitrim finished on 4 points in division 4.

Leitrim beat New York after extra time by a point,
New York play one competitive game a year.

Leitrim lost to Roscommon by 14 points.

Leitrim beat Louth well, although the game only started to swing Leitrims way when they had a man red carded.

Yes Leitrim played well against Monaghan, for 15 minutes, then things fell apart.

This cannot be called a progressive year no matter how much we all want to tell ourselves we are making progress. Progress is not and won't be made until there is a change.

Progress will begin when Leitrim are in a Div 4 league final. Not when we beat a good for nothing New York and Louth team.

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 19/07/2018 23:34:25    2123900

Link

Maybe Davis is taking over Moyles role within the current set up?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 19/07/2018 23:40:28    2123902

Link

There has been no progress. Poor league which I am certain will happen again in 2019 with same management team.
Padraic Davis deserves job on his own terms not bit part player in poor system.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 20/07/2018 18:45:19    2124086

Link

According to the observer website Benny Guckian has stepped down

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 20/07/2018 19:30:54    2124102

Link

So Benny has stepped down from the role which wasn't his decision. Has to be a big name manager now or at least someone that will get the best 25 lads playing and competing for places within the county. There is loads of talent in leitrim to get us out of div 4 in 2019 let's hope the county board get a management team that can match the quality of players we have to get promoted. Forget championship its all about the league for leitrim. You only improve by playing better opposition we seen that in the qualifiers.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 20/07/2018 20:21:55    2124126

Link

So it looks like the county board asked Guckian to reapply for the job. This led me to ask why? Why??

Ok - so he had served his two years of a two year term- but why reapply instead of asking for and either recieving an extension or else clubs voting on an extension or change ?? It seems to me that it he must be re-applying for one thing - to be going into competition with other candidates.

In my opinion they asked him to reapply to a position whereby the other candidate would have won anyway, and that way they could call it a fair choice to go with the new man. It was a way to let him down gently. As far as I am concerned a new manager must be in line already and in place, ready to take over now. He would have beaten brendan in his re-application that they told him he must do. This new man must have been head hunted before Brendan met the county board at all.

If I am right that is rough justice for Brendan- who made an improvement (however slight) in his time in charge. He held together the vast majority of a talented young squad instead of rebuilding a new squad in his second year as others have not. He had a solid case to defend his position unopposed or else let clubs vote on it. However I do think it is the right decision as we need someone to bring this talented young squad on to the next level and get more better footballers out there committed to and come back to the set up (Pearse Dolan, Conor Cullen, Conor Dolan etc...) a new experienced man is needed for this

Hands up - this just my opinion. But the situation looks like this. Expect a quick appointment to oversee the club championship and players available

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 20/07/2018 21:07:55    2124140

Link

I can't understand why the county board haven't given Brenden a decision on his future in the job before now. Judging by the interviews with players after the Monaghan game they wanted the management team to continue and keep the squad together. Brenden has made his decision and best wishes to him. The county board have opened the job the the public which is fair enough but I feel they need to be going and getting their man rather than waiting on someone. Hopefully a high profile manager, Banty McEnaney or the likes

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 20/07/2018 21:14:36    2124144

Link

To be honest, I'm not sad that Benny has stepped down. The Louth game was a highlight but I'm not convinced that we would have won as convincingly were it not for the first half sending off. It tells what players think of a management team when a number of top players couldn't be convinced to commit to the team from the first game of the league. Very little process was made in the league and it's there where we need to make it happen if we are to progress. Our neighbours in Longford have shown how it can be done with a similar population base. The reality is that the county board will have to go out and approach a big name if any progress is to be made in 2019. If Terry Hyland could be convinced to take the reins, he'd be the man I'd be speaking to. Perhaps George Dugdale could be convinced to come on board as a selector or someone like Gerry Flanagan who brought Belnaleck to a Ulster Club Junior Final last year. The County Board have to think big or we will all be here again next year scratching our head.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 20/07/2018 21:54:11    2124155

Link

I don't really think terry highland would be the Anserw. James Horan has to be top of the list that's shown real ambition and every player in the county would play under him. Don't say he wouldn't touch us. We all know that money talks. Let's invest in this group. You'd actually save money in the long run as you would might get an extra 500-1000 people at league games that's an extra 5-10k each game.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 20/07/2018 23:18:59    2124178

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I don't really think terry highland would be the Anserw. James Horan has to be top of the list that's shown real ambition and every player in the county would play under him. Don't say he wouldn't touch us. We all know that money talks. Let's invest in this group. You'd actually save money in the long run as you would might get an extra 500-1000 people at league games that's an extra 5-10k each game."
Let's not loose the run of ourselves. James Horan is not a realistic target. And anyhow how motivated would he be? http://www.the42.ie/james-horan-can-only-see-himself-coaching-mayo-3834302-Feb2018/ Anyhow, he managing Westport at the moment.
Someone like Hyland or perhaps Fergus O'Donnell would be more realistic targets who have underage and county experience. Let's not beat around the bush here... there's few managers of any worth queuing up to manage Leitrim. As for Banty... no thanks. One year at Wexford and did SFA. Loved by the media but certainly not by the fans in the counties he's managed.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 21/07/2018 09:39:24    2124212

Link

Champotime excellent point about revenue created from having a competitive team. That seems lost on our box ticking County Board. The way Benny has been let go isn't nice but Barney and George were treated worse.
I dread to see who the co board come up with as possible replacement but I hope all of you are members of a club firstly ask the person you are nominating and then bring that persons name forward to the county board. A suggestion here is useless.
Terry Hyland and Banty while they are great footballing men I think they might already be past their best in terms of management.
This young panel needs an inspirational, modern thinking and dogmatic personality to drive them on. I think a sense of belief needs to be instilled which in turn will see each player develop a further 10-20%. Those margins should see our county being competitive against or beating 20-25 counties in the country. 2 years will be used a benchmark of progression, not the league campaign of 2019. Short term unrealistic goals have been the bane of Leitrim football.
James Horan (Westport), Padraic Davis (Drumlish) , Jason Reilly (Cavan Gaels), Declan Darcy (St Brigids) and Kevin O Brien (Corofin) should all be on any sensible shortlist, all in touch with the game and successful everywhere they go. Winning breeds winning.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 21/07/2018 09:48:15    2124214

Link

I for one am saddened to see Brendan leaving especially when he wanted to stay on. The players also need to take a good long hard look at themselves. Players getting the hump and leaving the panel, players who in their own minds are legends but in reality when it comes to performing don't want it enough. The panel that Brendan had for the last two games are the lads for the future in my opinion, no egos or think they are bigger than the team, or deciding to depart when the qualifiers start.
The new Manager is in for a surprise when he sees lads feeling the panel when he dishes out a bit of constructive criticism. Good luck to Brendan and his back room staff for the future and thanks for all your hard work.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 21/07/2018 10:18:04    2124217

Link

Look the right outcome for the future of Leitrim football has come about even if the way it has occurred has left a sour taste in some people's mouths. Benny Guckian owes nothing to Leitrim football both as a player and as a manager he gave his all. This is not a criticism of him as no doubt he tried his best but I just don't think he had the proven record to manage a county team and this has been shown over the past few years. No doubt he has learned a lot during the job and will do well for a club team over the next few years.

All this yap of only allowing the players that were on the panel for the last game to be there next year is crazy. We have too small of a playing pool for that Bullshit. We need a clean slate. We need to trust our players and giving sly digs to them does not help.

To the next few years now. We have shown glimpses of the potential we have and now it really needs to be drove on.
Pauric Davis is the most obvious and more than likely probable candidate. However, I do think we should assess all possible options before picking one.

I would be happy with a team like Pauric Davis, Trevor Smullen, Gary Donoghoe, Aidan Rooney and George Dugdale together. I think that is a proven backroom team. And some people might not agree but it covers the whole county so no team can argue that their side of the county is being neglected. They are all proven winners also and Donoghoe and Dugdale are known to be technically brilliant but also tuff men who will only accept the best. Davis will also get a buy-in from the Mohill lads which is vital as we all know they have the most depth in the county.

We need to be realistic. James Horan Peter Canavan are out of our league and price range. We will also be competing with Cavan for managers who have the carrot of Div 1 football to convince people. However, the likes of Mick Bohan, Pillar Caffrey, Fergal O'Donnell, Jason Ryan, Nigel Dineen are all people who could be convinced. I also think Niall Carew. The Kildare man who was over Sligo would be a positive appointment.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 21/07/2018 11:32:45    2124234

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Champotime excellent point about revenue created from having a competitive team. That seems lost on our box ticking County Board. The way Benny has been let go isn't nice but Barney and George were treated worse.
I dread to see who the co board come up with as possible replacement but I hope all of you are members of a club firstly ask the person you are nominating and then bring that persons name forward to the county board. A suggestion here is useless.
Terry Hyland and Banty while they are great footballing men I think they might already be past their best in terms of management.
This young panel needs an inspirational, modern thinking and dogmatic personality to drive them on. I think a sense of belief needs to be instilled which in turn will see each player develop a further 10-20%. Those margins should see our county being competitive against or beating 20-25 counties in the country. 2 years will be used a benchmark of progression, not the league campaign of 2019. Short term unrealistic goals have been the bane of Leitrim football.
James Horan (Westport), Padraic Davis (Drumlish) , Jason Reilly (Cavan Gaels), Declan Darcy (St Brigids) and Kevin O Brien (Corofin) should all be on any sensible shortlist, all in touch with the game and successful everywhere they go. Winning breeds winning."
We were all here 2 years ago talking about promotion to Division 3 and so on and so on. And for years before that. The last 2 managers we had have been young and relatively inexperienced. It just hasnt worked. We need someone who has actually managed and won something at county level, someone who can bring their own experience of how a county structure should operate in total from Underage to Senior. More achievable targets would the two that I've mentioned. I'm not sure about O'Reilly or Davis, both would have ambitions of managing their own counties and it would be a risk to take on Leitrim with this in mind. Declan Darcy is unlikely to leave one of the most successful teams of all time to come manage Leitrim. If anything, he might be a candidate for the top job in Dublin himself whenever the day comes. The rest are too far removed from Leitrim to be of any use or unrealistic targets in my opinion. Finally, the players have to want to play for Leitrim and in the short term I think that maybe the bigger problem (be it the players cannot commit for work or other reasons). As a county we have to try and keep our best lads in the local area or as close as possible if we are to have any hope of success (success for me at the moment is promotion from Division 4).

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 21/07/2018 12:21:59    2124239

Link

Pauric Davis is not the answer for leitrim we need a manager with inter county experience someone that has got at least a promotion in the league at some stage. It does not guarantee success either we had Mickey Moran here and we didn't get out of div 4. But for the county board they have to get a big name as manager to give leitrim football a lift. When we played Antrim in the league this year the county was probably at its lowest ebb. It has been lifted a small bit with the win over Louth. Loosing by 13 points against monaghan isn't really an achievement tbh. I do believe the talent is there and a lot of good work being done in the county with devolpmeny squads. This is the most important appointment in this county in years.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 21/07/2018 14:04:38    2124254

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Look the right outcome for the future of Leitrim football has come about even if the way it has occurred has left a sour taste in some people's mouths. Benny Guckian owes nothing to Leitrim football both as a player and as a manager he gave his all. This is not a criticism of him as no doubt he tried his best but I just don't think he had the proven record to manage a county team and this has been shown over the past few years. No doubt he has learned a lot during the job and will do well for a club team over the next few years.

All this yap of only allowing the players that were on the panel for the last game to be there next year is crazy. We have too small of a playing pool for that Bullshit. We need a clean slate. We need to trust our players and giving sly digs to them does not help.

To the next few years now. We have shown glimpses of the potential we have and now it really needs to be drove on.
Pauric Davis is the most obvious and more than likely probable candidate. However, I do think we should assess all possible options before picking one.

I would be happy with a team like Pauric Davis, Trevor Smullen, Gary Donoghoe, Aidan Rooney and George Dugdale together. I think that is a proven backroom team. And some people might not agree but it covers the whole county so no team can argue that their side of the county is being neglected. They are all proven winners also and Donoghoe and Dugdale are known to be technically brilliant but also tuff men who will only accept the best. Davis will also get a buy-in from the Mohill lads which is vital as we all know they have the most depth in the county.

We need to be realistic. James Horan Peter Canavan are out of our league and price range. We will also be competing with Cavan for managers who have the carrot of Div 1 football to convince people. However, the likes of Mick Bohan, Pillar Caffrey, Fergal O'Donnell, Jason Ryan, Nigel Dineen are all people who could be convinced. I also think Niall Carew. The Kildare man who was over Sligo would be a positive appointment."
No bullshit no yap, no sly dig at players, the facts speak for themselves i.e. for the last few years when Leitrim get knocked out of Connacht , players become unavailable for the qualifiers,
I agree with a clean slate for every player when new manager arrives but the question is can they them selves be trusted to stay on when the going gets tough and see it though to the bitter end?

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 21/07/2018 14:20:52    2124260

Link

I don't see any current players on social media thanking Benny for his time in charge when Moyles stepped down I seen tweets thanking him. Maybe that tells its own story.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 22/07/2018 10:50:47    2124587

Link

I see Longford are now on the look out for a new manager which is bad news for leitrim. With some of the names being mentioned here. Fergal o Donnell is managing kiloe so Longford job is more attractive for him. I'm sure terry highland would be more tempted to go for Longford as well. It's Pauric Davis home county. The commute to Longford and leitrim is similar as well for any manager that has to travel.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 25/07/2018 22:28:17    2126274

Link