Kerry Forum

Kerry Vs. Mayo Super 8'S Game 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great performance yesterday by Kerry at a sun drenched Fitzgerald Stadium. Many congratulations to P.Keane and he's team. Kerry made a statement to Mayo yesterday before a ball was even kicked with A.O'Shea trying he's tough bully boy antics but my god D.Moran gave it back to him and more. Brilliant to see Moran play with aggression and it set the tone for out first half exhibition of football. Moran was immense and was possibly he's best ever game in a kerry shirt. D.Clifford is just a magician on the ball[a joy to behold]. Special mention for S.Enright whom had a storming game. I Believe our youngsters are starting to grow into men and will only improve with time. The kingdom is full of smiles this Monday morning. Killarney races will be buzzing for the week as we look forward to a huge test next sunday against Donegal.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 83 - 15/07/2019 11:17:13    2211249

Link

I'm just glad I took today off ... ugggghhhhhh....Hennessys, 2am, bad idea....

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 15/07/2019 12:32:47    2211302

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I'm just glad I took today off ... ugggghhhhhh....Hennessys, 2am, bad idea...."
:-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 15/07/2019 13:35:57    2211347

Link

Lads who ever came up the idea of playing Shane enright as sweeper it was a brain and I firmly believe it is the key too this kerry team. And it gives our forwords the confidence too stay where they are supposed to be and get the scores too win us games. The football yesterday was played the kerry way and it glanned my heart to see it. We can go all the way with a little degree of luck

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 15/07/2019 16:31:19    2211437

Link

Replying To GreenAndGold74:  "Great performance yesterday by Kerry at a sun drenched Fitzgerald Stadium. Many congratulations to P.Keane and he's team. Kerry made a statement to Mayo yesterday before a ball was even kicked with A.O'Shea trying he's tough bully boy antics but my god D.Moran gave it back to him and more. Brilliant to see Moran play with aggression and it set the tone for out first half exhibition of football. Moran was immense and was possibly he's best ever game in a kerry shirt. D.Clifford is just a magician on the ball[a joy to behold
. Special mention for S.Enright whom had a storming game. I Believe our youngsters are starting to grow into men and will only improve with time. The kingdom is full of smiles this Monday morning. Killarney races will be buzzing for the week as we look forward to a huge test next sunday against Donegal."]Nice one no doubt ,happy to have my doubts and fears allayed. It required drastic surgery that I did not see forthcoming Crowley and Enright added steel and a little brawn to backline They stemmed the tide of down the centre attacks I hate to see it but David Moran layer down a marker ever before the ball was thrown in he did not retreat from Aidan O Shea' s bullyboy tactics and I'd say that was the first throw i Kerry has won against Mayo since the halcyon day's of Darragh ,Adrian Spillane s running game gave David Moran the luxury of being able to play his preferred stay at home game and with more than a 50/50 return from midfield the forwards thrived Kieran Donaghy makes a very valid point today " one day does not make a summer " but a day like yesterday certainly goes along way towards converting hope to confidence Let's not forget all those who contributed to what we saw yesterday College coaches minor coaches development workers and a point the last backroom team an Kieran Donaghy made over and over the importance of the vociferous travelling fans, Mayo support magnificent would as many Kerry people have travelled if the game was played in Castlebar ?! I remember the almost inaudible cheer that greeted the team as they ran out to play Galway last year in Croke Park Kerry fans Bí ann as seo go ceann scríbe

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 712 - 15/07/2019 16:33:08    2211440

Link

Fantastic performance. Fair play to Peter Keane, he got everything spot on from tactics to personnel. Foley, Crowley, Enright, Moran, Spillane, O'Brien and Clifford were all brilliant. Geaney's form seems to be improving too which is a huge positive. A full Fitzgerald Stadium is some setting. I know Mayo had injuries and were tired but to beat them by 10 points was still fair going. It's great to have another game to look forward to just a week later. It will be some game between ourselves and Donegal.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 15/07/2019 17:17:16    2211469

Link

Well lads hydration is the key after a day/night like that - the zombie phase is passing :D

Great stuff yesterday, what a performance, what an occasion. Killarney was hoping and when the sun is shining like that and the green and gold are flowing around the sod - what else could you possibly hope for.
I still have to go back and watch the game on tv just so I can properly appreciate how majestic some of that football was.
Moran take a bow, some of those high catches were art itself.

Yes Mayo were poor but can I ask were they also made to look poor by a Kerry team primed and ready for battle?
Despite everything however, we still have plenty to work on. I thought our intensity dropped back well before the final whistle. True you could argue the game was effectively over at half time but I'm a firm believer in keeping the foot on a team's throat when we have them in that situation. JOD remains a concern he wasn't in the game yesterday at all.

Anyway great to have such momentum heading into another big test. Result on Sunday means we should have a decent Kerry crowd going now!
€30 and no concessions is a bit mean though?!!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 15/07/2019 17:33:50    2211479

Link

Apparently we'll be playing in our traditional Green and Gold for the next two games for those who can't warm to the mustard geansai!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 15/07/2019 18:03:31    2211496

Link

As always the hermit and indeed horsebox not a bad word said about your county team to nite I'm back in London. I'm not going too dublin next weekend the flights are massive. Will be watching on the telly. It surely was one of the great days and by by god I've seen some. Let's hope David Moran stays primed up now and leads the young guys as he did yesterday ciarrai Abu.

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 15/07/2019 18:44:13    2211516

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "As always the hermit and indeed horsebox not a bad word said about your county team to nite I'm back in London. I'm not going too dublin next weekend the flights are massive. Will be watching on the telly. It surely was one of the great days and by by god I've seen some. Let's hope David Moran stays primed up now and leads the young guys as he did yesterday ciarrai Abu."
Well a wander around somewhere like Camden tonight should be all the more enjoyable after yesterday :D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 15/07/2019 20:24:03    2211580

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well lads hydration is the key after a day/night like that - the zombie phase is passing :D

Great stuff yesterday, what a performance, what an occasion. Killarney was hoping and when the sun is shining like that and the green and gold are flowing around the sod - what else could you possibly hope for.
I still have to go back and watch the game on tv just so I can properly appreciate how majestic some of that football was.
Moran take a bow, some of those high catches were art itself.

Yes Mayo were poor but can I ask were they also made to look poor by a Kerry team primed and ready for battle?
Despite everything however, we still have plenty to work on. I thought our intensity dropped back well before the final whistle. True you could argue the game was effectively over at half time but I'm a firm believer in keeping the foot on a team's throat when we have them in that situation. JOD remains a concern he wasn't in the game yesterday at all.

Anyway great to have such momentum heading into another big test. Result on Sunday means we should have a decent Kerry crowd going now!
€30 and no concessions is a bit mean though?!!!"
Fantastic display by full squad. There seems to be great spirit in the camp and everyone is backing each other.
Donegal will be a different kettle of fish and will give a truer picture of where we are at.
Looking forward to seeing the Green and Gold on Sunday.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 16/07/2019 13:18:16    2211846

Link

Replying To traleeexile:  "Fantastic display by full squad. There seems to be great spirit in the camp and everyone is backing each other.
Donegal will be a different kettle of fish and will give a truer picture of where we are at.
Looking forward to seeing the Green and Gold on Sunday."
I wonder will jack Barry be available for this game Gerry?

I'd still start Spillane though as he was excellent on Sunday.

I wonder who'll get the job of marking Murphy maybe Gavin Crowley?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 16/07/2019 14:32:51    2211890

Link

I think Shane enright should do an aidan o mahony job on Michael Murphy follow him all over the field and I think we are better than donegal all over the rest of the field and our bench is looking stronger by the day. I still think gavin o brien should be in the squad very hard to know what happened there. Because he had a great league

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 16/07/2019 15:13:28    2211910

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I think Shane enright should do an aidan o mahony job on Michael Murphy follow him all over the field and I think we are better than donegal all over the rest of the field and our bench is looking stronger by the day. I still think gavin o brien should be in the squad very hard to know what happened there. Because he had a great league"
Enright wont have the legs to keep with Murphy. Gavin Crowley is your man for Murphy, Morley to pick up mcbrearty and Murphy or Tom Sullivan to pick up brennan

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 16/07/2019 16:33:30    2211946

Link

Many people have said that Mayo looked tired or didnt turn up. I would tend to disagree with this, the intensity that we brought throughout the first half shocked them and they just could not cope. As fine a half of football we have seen in years.

It was understandable of course that we dropped a small bit in the second half but everyone knew the game was well over but it could turn out to be important that we maintained a big win over them with points difference a possibility and not let the winning margin drop to 4 or 5 points.

A somewhat irrelevant point but on his first half performance alone it was more then surprising to see Moran not being awarded man of the match. Clifford was top class as usual but I wonder who was in charge of picking man of the match? Co commentator i suppose?

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 871 - 16/07/2019 16:46:47    2211958

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "As always the hermit and indeed horsebox not a bad word said about your county team to nite I'm back in London. I'm not going too dublin next weekend the flights are massive. Will be watching on the telly. It surely was one of the great days and by by god I've seen some. Let's hope David Moran stays primed up now and leads the young guys as he did yesterday ciarrai Abu."
David got news of his Grandma' s death shortly before throw in some performance his first half was equal to Darragh against Armagh in semi of 2004 and that is saying something Jason zFoley is the man for Mc Brearty Nice to see the positive comments Jason had on Eamonn Fitzmaurice in today's Irish Times Eamonn offered far more than he was given credit for. He took the job when no one else would take It the then incumbent saw the writing on the wall Under21s beaten by was it 22 pts by Cork The backbone of the 2014 team all went together in 15 and 16 his patience with Seanie O Shea, Jason etc paid off anyway Jason was sagacious enough to recognise a tactical master class in the 14 senior final as he sat on the bench of the first of the five in a row minor run . Sunday's performance was way beyond what I expected hopefully it carries on through next weekend ar aghaidh leo

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 712 - 16/07/2019 21:39:42    2212098

Link

Been off the grid for a few days, but it was no harm to let the dust settle in this one before commenting. I think it is fair to say that no one and I mean even the staunches of supporter did not see this one coming. Everyone here knows I have been harping on about Adrain Spillane and his ability for a while but I am also first to admit that I have been overly critical of Moran. I think first and foremost that PK and co have to take a serious bow here. We have been beaten twice recently, both by Mayo, Cork showed up frailties in the Munster Final and we questioned the visible input lacking that normally a team under the stewardship of Donie Buckley would have.

PK named his side Friday night, some are not fans of dummy teams, personally I wouldn't tell the opposition the directions to the pitch, in a tight game it's the little margins that win you out. Crowley, James, Spillane and Enright all changed the dynamic of the team set up, while also affording us the benefits of legs in the home stretch by bringing in Burns, O'Conner and Moynihan. I'm not going to go into the game itself as it has been posted the death above and we all are in agreement, Kerry were good, they were, Mayo was not allowed to settle on the ball and impose their game plan, 4 hard weeks for tired legs on a hot balmy day in Killarney, against a well drilled young speedy team that used the width of Killarney to good effect.

Best of all and here is where I get serious credit to the side-line. LESSONS LEARENED. From the off, Enright in to shore up the middle, a big surprise selection but repaid in spades, Crowley on the wing, all match ups perfect. Foley on Coen, Morley on Cillian, Starting Spillane on O'Shea and not Moran, no running into tackle by Tom Sull/Gavin White like in PUC, fast crisp ball supplying the forwards, full press, forcing kick outs long, it was tactical perfection for this match. But this match only. Our forward movement, O'Shea, O'Brien, DC and Geaney and to a lesser extent James, Moynihan came in here but he didn't grab the game so this position is still available in my opinion for the Donegal game. Still it's horse for courses from now on anyway.

Next week is a different ball game, I'm torn here slightly, whereas I would love momentum and keep building and progressing, I would also prefer to meet Dublin in a Semi-final, I think there would be there for the taking in a semi but in a final with all the razzmatazz for 5 in a row and the pressure on all sides including the gaa and referees etc. it could become a circus. Anyway back to Sunday. The question is will the same team start. Certain players with question marks over them previously, Ryan, Foley, Moran, Geaney all repaid with spades and showed form, DC was majestic but with McGee kicking lumps off you in Croker might be a different story. Also I would imagine our issues through the middle have not disappeared so the Donegal ploy of attaching in mass at speed will be a serious acid test.

One point not mentioned above was Gavin White was selected at 10. This I think is ideal going forward, think of the teams left in it and the pace and danger that certain wing backs have, McHugh, Harte, McCaffery. Gavin on the wing may nullify this aspect of the opposing play.

Anyway back to Sunday next, I don't know will Enright Start, he did nothing wrong, far far from it? I'd match up the danger men as follows Foley (McBrearty), Morley (Langan), Tom Sull (Brennan), Murphy (Thompson), Crowley (Murphy) and Enright  (Gallen he came on and scored 1-1). Midfield stay as is, White, Seanie and O'Brien who was outstanding Sunday, with Gavin White on Ryan McHugh, inside DC, Geaney and being honest I'd Start James, last week James was too deep, I'd pull out Paul and James at stages as both are serious passers of the ball. I still think though James is best served close to goals.

I have to mention a few things from last week though, Clifford's free under the stand and he pass into Geaney for a goal chance in first half were class acts, that and the pre-throw in love in between the 4 midfielders. Stephen O'Brien's mark while back peddling and Foley bursting put for a ball in second half were my highlights. The marker was laid down and Mayo had no answer. Their side-line too made no changes until HT. Horan is quoted to saying he was reactive, he was were PK was pro-active. That was the difference.

Do ye think the same team will start and what are your match ups?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4148 - 17/07/2019 11:59:07    2212288

Link

Now that pk has shown he can mix it up with a game plan from game to game I am not so sure which is great thing as it will also keep the opposition guessing

I have never been the biggest fan of jod. But I just get the feeling that he will come good this year as being a big fan pk I cannot see him sticking with him if he did not think so

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 17/07/2019 15:03:44    2212381

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I think Shane enright should do an aidan o mahony job on Michael Murphy follow him all over the field and I think we are better than donegal all over the rest of the field and our bench is looking stronger by the day. I still think gavin o brien should be in the squad very hard to know what happened there. Because he had a great league"
Amazing truly amazing Shane goes from zero to hero in one easy move Eaten bread is soon forgotten He was always a strong capable defender and eve the best come up against a nemesis Andy Moran take a bow by the same token I once saw Andy roast my hero Aidan he taught him a few sidesteps that helped in dancing with the stars Reading between the lines in Jason's interview in yesterdays irish James o D did what he was asked to do last Sunday viz. create space for two inside Donaghy and Geaney 2014 Clifford and Geaney last Sunday 1 -9 of a return Let's see what Sunday brings

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 712 - 17/07/2019 15:45:53    2212401

Link

Indeed zero to hero Shane's days as corner back were over after the roasting by Moran who is quiet an average lad any way. I must think who ever thought of playing Shane in that roll on Sunday deserves all the credits that are going. You have not many great forwords if you class Moran as one of the great ones. Ciarrai Abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 17/07/2019 21:15:22    2212542

Link