Kerry Forum

Kerry Vs. Mayo Super 8'S Game 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Could name 3 or 4 ahead of him - with Crowley being the frontrunner"
Please do name the other three except of G Crowley...be interested to see who you think ?

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 10/07/2019 23:32:57    2209301

Link

Any player worth his salt can mark or cover 'space' whereas I admit Griffin has bulk he is sadly lacking in composure and ball ability. Example league game vs Dublin we a point up, he wins a great Mark and then ball straight to a blue Jersey.

If this is PK's ploy, then Crowley, Spillane, Mikey Geaney or even Lyne or Jack Barry would be more suitable as a body with ball retention ability or he go back to what Fitz flirted with Paul Murphy at 10 as the extra defender.

Still I think he will opt for 5 forwards with 3 in mid field- that was his usual plan at times as a minor manager and in fairness it was a success

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4148 - 11/07/2019 09:01:09    2209343

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "If Peter Keane wants to stick someone in front of Morley to protect the full back line, and you look to the bench then it's either Gavin Crowley or Griffin.
The big problem here is at the beginning of the year Peter Crowley was going to be our No. 3 and I believe Morley was going to be the Stopper, now Morley is covering No.3 and we are stuck for a stopper..

Gavin Crowley or Griffin is probably as good as we have. If either shores up the middle I personally dont care if they touch the ball once.

Is there anyone else? Enright? Brendan O Sullivan from Valentia? It's like he vanished into thin air. A big strong physical player......"
Watch for Graham O Sullivan and Liam Kearney .For my money Killian Spillane should be inside with David Clifford Killian is tarred with the work ethic brush but I doubt if there is a more natural forward in the country, what he has in natural talent cant be coached into a player I was disappointed he did not get an extended run in the league, Brendan O Sullivan an honest good junior footballer .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 712 - 11/07/2019 09:04:41    2209344

Link

Let's not forget the last time we played Mayo in the championship Eamon put Paul Murphy in as as a sweeper and it was a bit of a disaster. It's not something you can just do without having worked on it in training.

I don't think I'd be bringing Griffin in regardless, yes he is strong but he is a liability with the ball in hand and an important part of that job is helping work the ball out of defence. I'd prefer to rearrange things and have any of Enright, O'Beaglaoich, Graham O'Sullivan, Gavin White playing somewhere in the back six and have Sherwood, Murphy or Crowley as the spare man.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 11/07/2019 09:39:12    2209354

Link

Ok lads, would love to hear what teams you would select to try and tame Mayo?
Horse for courses and all that but personally I don't think the team would be hugely different from what we saw against Cork.
Rumors around about Geaney being dropped but personally I would be keeping JOD on the bench to spring him in the last 20 minutes against a hopefully tired Mayo defence.
What we have to do is have something in place to protect our defence against Mayo's strong running game. If Cork could do such damage what could Mayo do given the same time and space?
I'm really hoping, though it might be wishful thinking, that Kerry decided they had enough to take Cork without needing to unveil some defensive system they'll be showcasing on Sunday!
Will Tommy play any part and if so where? Has he made any appearance at all this summer - I missed the Clare game.

Nerves and giddiness well and truly abounding now and still 4 long days to go!
Someone mentioned its been the semi-final in 2015 since we last beat a Division 1 team in the Championship. It's mad to think that. I know this is a young team but we really need a win here, esp when we are in our home patch and defending an hugely impressive home record!
We really need to see this side show their potential and see just how good the men on the line are over them.
For me the next couple of games after are irrelevant at this point - we simply have to go into this with a mindset that this is do or die, win or bust - a proper, knockout Championship game.
This is probably the biggest game Fitzgerald stadium has seen since the Munster final in 2017, probably the replayed final in 2015. There should be a ferocious appetite from the Kerry supporters to be there in their droves on Sunday.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 11/07/2019 11:10:45    2209395

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Watch for Graham O Sullivan and Liam Kearney .For my money Killian Spillane should be inside with David Clifford Killian is tarred with the work ethic brush but I doubt if there is a more natural forward in the country, what he has in natural talent cant be coached into a player I was disappointed he did not get an extended run in the league, Brendan O Sullivan an honest good junior footballer ."
Killian was probably the best corner forward in the intermediate championship and divison 1 past few years. He was the difference in the Templenoe vs Spa game which was the first game of the round Robin. Both teams knew the winner would be 30 bare to the intermediate championship after that game. I dont think the management rate him enough, I was in Cavan this year for the league, nothing went right for him and Kerry were overall poor. Killian got taken off with a minute left in the 1st half for Dara Moynihan. Didnt even wait till half time to take him off. Hope I am wrong but cant see Killian getting the nod. My team if Peter Keane was to ask me would be:
Ryan
Enright Foley T O'Sullivan
Morley
Murphy G Crowley G White
Sherwood Moran
S O Brien S O'Shea D Moynihan
Clifford Geaney

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 11/07/2019 11:29:57    2209413

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Let's not forget the last time we played Mayo in the championship Eamon put Paul Murphy in as as a sweeper and it was a bit of a disaster. It's not something you can just do without having worked on it in training.

I don't think I'd be bringing Griffin in regardless, yes he is strong but he is a liability with the ball in hand and an important part of that job is helping work the ball out of defence. I'd prefer to rearrange things and have any of Enright, O'Beaglaoich, Graham O'Sullivan, Gavin White playing somewhere in the back six and have Sherwood, Murphy or Crowley as the spare man."
It's funny you mention that Gerry as I would have Murphy as sweeper in this particular game if of course like you say it has been worked on.

My team would be:

Ryan
Foley Morley Sullivan
White Sherwood Crowley
Moran Barry
Paul Murphy O'shea O'Connor
Clifford jod o'brien

I'd have Murph sweep and if that's not working I'd put him centre back and let Sherwood sweep.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 11/07/2019 16:02:58    2209570

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "It's funny you mention that Gerry as I would have Murphy as sweeper in this particular game if of course like you say it has been worked on.

My team would be:

Ryan
Foley Morley Sullivan
White Sherwood Crowley
Moran Barry
Paul Murphy O'shea O'Connor
Clifford jod o'brien

I'd have Murph sweep and if that's not working I'd put him centre back and let Sherwood sweep."
I've nothing against Murphy as a sweeper at all but I was just reminding people that we tried that v Mayo in 2017 and it backfired he wasn't able to stop the ball coming in and Andy Moran made hay all game. Putting the extra man in did nothing and we didn't look comfortable playing that way.

Then again we did the same thing in that fiery league final v Dublin earlier that year and it worked very well and made us look solid defensively. It's not something I'd be against as long as it is implemented properly.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 11/07/2019 18:47:25    2209629

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I've nothing against Murphy as a sweeper at all but I was just reminding people that we tried that v Mayo in 2017 and it backfired he wasn't able to stop the ball coming in and Andy Moran made hay all game. Putting the extra man in did nothing and we didn't look comfortable playing that way.

Then again we did the same thing in that fiery league final v Dublin earlier that year and it worked very well and made us look solid defensively. It's not something I'd be against as long as it is implemented properly."
I know you have nothing against Murphy Gerry I read your post wrong and sorry bout that I thought you said you didn't want Murphy as sweeper.

Murph has played the sweeper roll a few times this year already and has done it really well what happened the last time we played Mayo in 2017 was fitzmaurice panicked the night before the game and changed his plans and decided to put Paul as a sweeper.

How fitz left enright on Andy Moran I'll never know.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 12/07/2019 09:39:54    2209806

Link

The u20s had a comfortable win last night over Limerick, 0-18 to 1-3. We played ok but Limerick were very poor. They got large numbers behind the ball. Donal O'Sullivan was outstanding at full forward, he kicked 7 points from play. He seems to have it all. I was also impressed with Barry Mahony and the powerful Joe O'Connor at midfield. Paul O'Shea also showed his class for the short time when he was on, I would find a starting place for him personally. All 4 look good prospects. Patrick Warren also did well at centre back. Cork assuming they overcome Waterford will be a much tougher test.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 12/07/2019 10:10:09    2209825

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "The u20s had a comfortable win last night over Limerick, 0-18 to 1-3. We played ok but Limerick were very poor. They got large numbers behind the ball. Donal O'Sullivan was outstanding at full forward, he kicked 7 points from play. He seems to have it all. I was also impressed with Barry Mahony and the powerful Joe O'Connor at midfield. Paul O'Shea also showed his class for the short time when he was on, I would find a starting place for him personally. All 4 look good prospects. Patrick Warren also did well at centre back. Cork assuming they overcome Waterford will be a much tougher test."
Barry O'Mahony has always impressed me every time I saw him play, even at underage. He is one I have earmarked to be brought in next spring. He's very versatile

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4148 - 12/07/2019 10:46:25    2209854

Link

If that comes to pass Horse I reckon he would be in line to be the first Crotta man to ever represent the Kerry seniors!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 12/07/2019 10:59:48    2209864

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Barry O'Mahony has always impressed me every time I saw him play, even at underage. He is one I have earmarked to be brought in next spring. He's very versatile"
I think he could be suited to a wing forward role at Senior. He has the football and would bring mobility, work rate and physicality. Could he play a Galvin type role, bringing a physical edge to the half forward line? How versatile he is reminds of me Brian Howard.

I am also interested by Joe O'Connor of Stacks. He is big, strong and powerful. He was a very good underage rugby player. He has been a big part of Stacks' recent success. I'll be watching him closely.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 12/07/2019 11:08:16    2209869

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "The u20s had a comfortable win last night over Limerick, 0-18 to 1-3. We played ok but Limerick were very poor. They got large numbers behind the ball. Donal O'Sullivan was outstanding at full forward, he kicked 7 points from play. He seems to have it all. I was also impressed with Barry Mahony and the powerful Joe O'Connor at midfield. Paul O'Shea also showed his class for the short time when he was on, I would find a starting place for him personally. All 4 look good prospects. Patrick Warren also did well at centre back. Cork assuming they overcome Waterford will be a much tougher test."
I agree with your assessment there Kerry15, the difference in conditioning between the 2 teams was big. Donal Downs was savage up front and his movement impressive.

Ficra Clifford scored some class points from distance as well.

Paul O'shea had been injured that's why he didn't start, he made a great impression when he came on scoring a great point from outside the 45, and one deadly catch .

Joe o'Connor and Barry Mahoney were excellent and did nothing wrong, the one thing that did get on my goat was we had a few lads that were very selfish on the ball, we had lads free and making hard runs only for guys to hold the ball or take silly shots on.

The reff was very fussy and was more interested in trying to make a game of it.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 12/07/2019 11:26:02    2209878

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I agree with your assessment there Kerry15, the difference in conditioning between the 2 teams was big. Donal Downs was savage up front and his movement impressive.

Ficra Clifford scored some class points from distance as well.

Paul O'shea had been injured that's why he didn't start, he made a great impression when he came on scoring a great point from outside the 45, and one deadly catch .

Joe o'Connor and Barry Mahoney were excellent and did nothing wrong, the one thing that did get on my goat was we had a few lads that were very selfish on the ball, we had lads free and making hard runs only for guys to hold the ball or take silly shots on.

The reff was very fussy and was more interested in trying to make a game of it."
You're spot on Kingdomboy with the conditioning. The Limerick lads looked like they hadn't any conditioning done at all! Paul O'Shea being injured in the buildup makes more sense as I was surprised he wasn't starting. Eddie Horan didn't start for the same reason. Ciaran Kennedy from Beaufort could make the panel the next day, he is just returning from an injury. He came on in every game last year. Also does anyone know if Darragh Rahilly from Rathmore is on the panel? I thought he was excellent for the minors last year at wing forward. He never stops running and always seems to kicome 2 or 3 points. The team could look fairly different in the final.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 12/07/2019 12:44:41    2209919

Link

Call me mad lads but I reckon Kerry's best tactic is to play caution to the wind and take Mayo on in a pure shoot out. Mayo aren't as strong going forward. A lot of their game plan involves wearing the opposition down as their physicality is above that of most other teams. I'm not saying Kerry should let them walk through but play them man to man.
I give him a bit of slagging but Crowley is a big loss for ye, he brings a much needed physicality but more so, its his character that he'd bring in the defence. To get up in the Mayo faces and get them upset. I do think some of the Mayo boys are prone to the wind up. Put it to you this way, Kerry need to get that first hit in on the likes of O'Connor or Coen. Lay down a marker, test the ref, test how up for it Mayo are, test the crowd as well. To get such a flash point going for yis would really get the backs up and the team moving.
If Keane starts trying to play some sort of system they haven't played before then I think Mayo win. The positional sense of some of the Kerry backs is dreadful at times. Keep it simple, go man to man and provide cover as best you can.

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 896 - 12/07/2019 12:58:35    2209929

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "You're spot on Kingdomboy with the conditioning. The Limerick lads looked like they hadn't any conditioning done at all! Paul O'Shea being injured in the buildup makes more sense as I was surprised he wasn't starting. Eddie Horan didn't start for the same reason. Ciaran Kennedy from Beaufort could make the panel the next day, he is just returning from an injury. He came on in every game last year. Also does anyone know if Darragh Rahilly from Rathmore is on the panel? I thought he was excellent for the minors last year at wing forward. He never stops running and always seems to kicome 2 or 3 points. The team could look fairly different in the final."
I didn't hear Darragh Rahillys name mentioned so far Kerry15 but he is more than likely on the extended panel, it would be strange if he wasn't as like you say he was excellent last year.

Looking forward to see what the lads can do against Cork in PUR next Thursday, should be a good game.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 12/07/2019 13:13:03    2209935

Link

Did you say Barry is out Genius? Where are you hearing that?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 12/07/2019 16:06:02    2210010

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Did you say Barry is out Genius? Where are you hearing that?"
Someone said it on Kerry GAA forum, it wouldn't surprise me, he has been struggling with an injury all year. Not confirmed or anything so don't take it as gospel.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 12/07/2019 19:11:15    2210083

Link

https://www.hoganstand.com/Kerry/Article/Index/301635

Actually sorry Peter Keane confirming Barry is in 'pretty good shape', he was clearly nowhere near 100% for the Cork game to my eyes.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 12/07/2019 19:19:22    2210089

Link