Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think 'the other argument' is the way to go. Keep picking this 'starting team', and keep trying to collect wins. It's not as if we're an established team yet anyway. It's already a new team, new management, trialing a new style, so it mightn't be a great idea to overload it with a raft of changes. It's always easier to trial new players in ones or twos into a stable base, than to make 5or6 changes, and hope lads impress in the possible chaos."
Dead right. Steady as u go, 1 possible 2 changes at a time.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 05/03/2020 12:52:20    2272332

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think 'the other argument' is the way to go. Keep picking this 'starting team', and keep trying to collect wins. It's not as if we're an established team yet anyway. It's already a new team, new management, trialing a new style, so it mightn't be a great idea to overload it with a raft of changes. It's always easier to trial new players in ones or twos into a stable base, than to make 5or6 changes, and hope lads impress in the possible chaos."
Despite a previous post, I agree with you Pope. We need to develop a winning mentality bearing in mind it's a squad game where most teams use around the 18 players per game. Let's put Mayo away , they would do it to us.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 05/03/2020 18:55:16    2272397

Link

Business end of the league and the Championship is only around the corner. Time for experimentation has passed, and Joycey will be looking to settle an existing extended squad, with starters, power-subs, etc. I would expect some minor tweeks, and little more going forward.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 06/03/2020 22:50:48    2272542

Link

Any updates on the nature of the injuries to Duggan and O Currain

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 07/03/2020 11:25:13    2272573

Link

The championship team that I feel we could see against new york could be this.

1.Gleeson
2.Kelly
3.Mulkerrin
4.Heaney
5.Silke
6.Daly
7.Mcdaid
8.Steede
9.Flynn
10.Brannigan
11.Comer
12.Daly
13.Finnerty
14.Walsh
15.Varley

It's gonna be difficult for Molloy and Power to 2 get into the starting 15 cause of their injury problems but if they are available for the next 2 league games and get game time they need 2 have stand out performances great options 2 have though.

No. 15 is the one position which is seriously up for grabs. Varley for me has had a very good league and it's his jersey 2 lose at the moment but we still haven't seen Ian Burke who should see game time. He didn't have a good club campaign but will still be an important player this summer.

Dissapointed Farragher was taking off early last week hope he doesn't lose confidence and he gets another oppurtunity. One player who is lucky 2 be holding onto his position is Micheal Daly.

He hasn't shot the lights out in this league he has huge potential and Joyce sees something in him 2 keep persisting with him in the hope he will deliver come championship but he will have 2 cause Conroy is seriously putting his hand up for selection after the last 2 games.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 354 - 07/03/2020 12:47:16    2272596

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "The championship team that I feel we could see against new york could be this.

1.Gleeson
2.Kelly
3.Mulkerrin
4.Heaney
5.Silke
6.Daly
7.Mcdaid
8.Steede
9.Flynn
10.Brannigan
11.Comer
12.Daly
13.Finnerty
14.Walsh
15.Varley

It's gonna be difficult for Molloy and Power to 2 get into the starting 15 cause of their injury problems but if they are available for the next 2 league games and get game time they need 2 have stand out performances great options 2 have though.

No. 15 is the one position which is seriously up for grabs. Varley for me has had a very good league and it's his jersey 2 lose at the moment but we still haven't seen Ian Burke who should see game time. He didn't have a good club campaign but will still be an important player this summer.

Dissapointed Farragher was taking off early last week hope he doesn't lose confidence and he gets another oppurtunity. One player who is lucky 2 be holding onto his position is Micheal Daly.

He hasn't shot the lights out in this league he has huge potential and Joyce sees something in him 2 keep persisting with him in the hope he will deliver come championship but he will have 2 cause Conroy is seriously putting his hand up for selection after the last 2 games."
It is a good few weeks yet till the championship. But, I don't know why you are questioning Aido at 15 on his current form yet name Finnerty who has been poor, however his club mate Cathal Sweeney must be very close and I imagine PJ will call him up to the senior squad. He will be asking big questions of the other half backs after this afternoons performance. Just out of minor but looks a senior player to me.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 395 - 07/03/2020 17:37:30    2272644

Link

Replying To GDL:  "It is a good few weeks yet till the championship. But, I don't know why you are questioning Aido at 15 on his current form yet name Finnerty who has been poor, however his club mate Cathal Sweeney must be very close and I imagine PJ will call him up to the senior squad. He will be asking big questions of the other half backs after this afternoons performance. Just out of minor but looks a senior player to me."
U misheard me GDL i'm not questioning Aido at 15 at all in actual fact I think he should start come championship cause his performances have been superb.

I'm meerly making the point that there are other players in contention for that jersey like Burke, Farragher and possibley Conroy. I think ur being harsh on Finnerty he had one quiet game and that was against Tyrone he did well when he came on against Meath.

One thing Finnerty has going for him is that he is very strong 2 go with his skill which is something a lot of forwards don't which is why I worry for Farragher being able 2 make step up to intercounty level does he have the physical strength for this level hope i'm wrong.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 354 - 07/03/2020 18:29:36    2272650

Link

Replying To GDL:  "It is a good few weeks yet till the championship. But, I don't know why you are questioning Aido at 15 on his current form yet name Finnerty who has been poor, however his club mate Cathal Sweeney must be very close and I imagine PJ will call him up to the senior squad. He will be asking big questions of the other half backs after this afternoons performance. Just out of minor but looks a senior player to me."
Cathal Sweeney is doing his leaving.. PJ will not be calling him up ...

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 189 - 07/03/2020 20:33:43    2272692

Link

Lads are we for real Cathal Sweeeney on Senior panel. Give the young lad a chance to enjoy his underage football. We've had excellent U20 teams the last few years so there are older guys to come into the reckoning.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 07/03/2020 21:27:11    2272707

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "Cathal Sweeney is doing his leaving.. PJ will not be calling him up ..."
Paddy McBrearty did it in 2012 for Donegal. Sweeney is one of the best halfbacks in Galway football. He is a serious bit of talent. He always takes the right option. I saw him in the county minor final last year and was impressed, but his performances for this U20 team in Castlebar and again today are unbelievable. We will see him later in the year on the senior team.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 07/03/2020 21:45:31    2272716

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Paddy McBrearty did it in 2012 for Donegal. Sweeney is one of the best halfbacks in Galway football. He is a serious bit of talent. He always takes the right option. I saw him in the county minor final last year and was impressed, but his performances for this U20 team in Castlebar and again today are unbelievable. We will see him later in the year on the senior team."
Trust me .. not a hope

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 189 - 08/03/2020 00:33:27    2272737

Link

Sweeney wouldn't even be close to getting in to the Corofin half back line

sticktight (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 08/03/2020 08:15:03    2272754

Link

Replying To sticktight:  "Sweeney wouldn't even be close to getting in to the Corofin half back line"
He's already a far superior player to Dylan Wall who is Corofins number 7

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 08/03/2020 10:34:37    2272769

Link

If Galway hurlers win toss for home match v Wexford it will be double header next Sunday I woukd think prob have change time for match

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 08/03/2020 16:12:53    2272836

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Paddy McBrearty did it in 2012 for Donegal. Sweeney is one of the best halfbacks in Galway football. He is a serious bit of talent. He always takes the right option. I saw him in the county minor final last year and was impressed, but his performances for this U20 team in Castlebar and again today are unbelievable. We will see him later in the year on the senior team."
Keep in mind he was playing in a team that won by 20 points. Not doubting his quality but it is a big step up for someone so young.

From time to time physical freaks emerge but generally most players are not fully developed strength wise at that age. Not sure what age he is but if he is doing his LC he must be young. Tread carefully! In any case we are doing ok at HB at the moment. Silke, Daly, GOD, McDaid, Molloy

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1217 - 09/03/2020 09:15:08    2272951

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Keep in mind he was playing in a team that won by 20 points. Not doubting his quality but it is a big step up for someone so young.

From time to time physical freaks emerge but generally most players are not fully developed strength wise at that age. Not sure what age he is but if he is doing his LC he must be young. Tread carefully! In any case we are doing ok at HB at the moment. Silke, Daly, GOD, McDaid, Molloy"
He is u20 again next year so I don't think will be called up this year.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved next year though.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 710 - 09/03/2020 10:24:47    2272964

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Keep in mind he was playing in a team that won by 20 points. Not doubting his quality but it is a big step up for someone so young.

From time to time physical freaks emerge but generally most players are not fully developed strength wise at that age. Not sure what age he is but if he is doing his LC he must be young. Tread carefully! In any case we are doing ok at HB at the moment. Silke, Daly, GOD, McDaid, Molloy"
He is 18 going on 19, captained SK to club minor last year. He is a brilliant talent. Plays corner forward for salthill seniors but centre back for Salthill underage because Salthill have so many talented inside forwards coming through. Isn't particularly massive or speedy just a superbly balanced player who would remind me a bit of liam silke physically. Knocks shots over from 45 yards out no bother. A class inside forward hurler too.

Would say he is 2 years away from Galway senior panel, realistically.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 291 - 09/03/2020 10:48:24    2272971

Link

Young Sweeney is a serious talent no doubt
But theres even more lads on that u 20 team who also look good
I think we should them develop with own group
They could win the all ireland at u20
We have some fantastic footballers on this team

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1141 - 09/03/2020 12:14:31    2272991

Link

Liam Silke a doubt for Sunday with a hamstring injury according to Joyce.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 09/03/2020 15:27:43    2273058

Link

Power
Kelly
Mulkerrin
Heaney
O'Donnell
Daly
McDaid
Steeds
Flynn
Brannigan