Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Oldertourman:  "They beat Kilkenny and Cork when in 2018 on days both those teams put them to the pin of their collar and they have already beaten Cork twice this year, once at home. They also beat good Waterford and Clare teams heavily in last years championship, as well as beating Dublin in the League, the team that knocked Galway out of the championship, after the blues had knocked out Tipp in Thurles Hardly true to say they only play well against Galway and Tipp."
When did Dublin knock Galway out of Championship?

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 09/03/2020 22:08:33    2273161

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Gmac has been one of our best players and he's on the bench?

I think Cooney has done well, and I'd look to put Fintan back in the corner as I think it might suit him more until he gets a few years under his belt.

Daithi and Gmac could alternate between 3 & 6.

Either way it's great to have more options and competition for places.

Niland is more than a free taker, he gets the ball into hand quickly, and is very aware of whats around him.

Concannon developing nicely, agree re Whelan, himself and Cathal are generational players(as is Daithi), it's a privelege to watch and support them."
Maybe you're right. Personally I would like the halfback line to be more mobie but Gma has been very good and would bee needed for the likes of Limerick.

Kinvara (Galway) - Posts: 32 - 09/03/2020 22:19:10    2273163

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "When did Dublin knock Galway out of Championship?"
Was it not the result of the Dublin match that finally knocked Galway out last year.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 09/03/2020 23:22:33    2273169

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "When did Dublin knock Galway out of Championship?"
They beat Galway 3.19.to 24 points on June 15 '19, the night KK and Wex drew as we watched on spellbound in Wexford Park. If Galway had drawn that game they were home and hosed, so Dublin did indeed knock them out last year.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 09/03/2020 23:28:30    2273170

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Nobody in Limerick takes Daly or Cusack, or any of these pundits, seriously- end of story. As you rightly say nobody should carried away about matches played in February or March. Tipp won the All Ireland last year and are thus worthy champions as every team that ever won an All Ireland are."
All are worthy but some are less worthy than others. Limerick know they should be in their 3 in a row season. That'll sting and ensure there are no slip ups this year. Their squad does match up to the great KK teams. It just remains to be seen if their mentality does.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 10/03/2020 08:41:16    2273181

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "All are worthy but some are less worthy than others. Limerick know they should be in their 3 in a row season. That'll sting and ensure there are no slip ups this year. Their squad does match up to the great KK teams. It just remains to be seen if their mentality does."
Thanks Mallman. Agree fully.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 10/03/2020 09:40:53    2273188

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "They beat Galway 3.19.to 24 points on June 15 '19, the night KK and Wex drew as we watched on spellbound in Wexford Park. If Galway had drawn that game they were home and hosed, so Dublin did indeed knock them out last year."
Dublin weren't alone on the night, with referee McAllister lending them a significant 'helping hand', imo.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 10/03/2020 11:06:41    2273199

Link

I would be a little worried about the corner-back positions assuming Daithí resumes at fullback releasing GMac to the halfback line. The likes of Loftus (who is a nice hurler but more of a stickman than a battler) is not really suited to that role and Morrissey is a little slow when turned. I do like the cut of TJ Brennan in the right corner when I have seen him play and (as someone here mentioned already) Fintan Burke could do a job in the left corner so I would go with a backline of TJ Brennan, Daithi Burke, Fintan Burke, Padraig Mannion (if he recovers his pre-2019 form), Gmac, Shane Cooney. Other options would be Harte, Tuohy, Morrissey , Killeen and Loftus to cover for those players.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 10/03/2020 11:44:46    2273206

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Dublin weren't alone on the night, with referee McAllister lending them a significant 'helping hand', imo."
I allow that, but Galway were just that bit below par last year. I just feel they could have beaten Carlow by much more and used home advantage better against Wexford. It was also incredible bad luck to go out with five points out of eight- Limerick went on to win an All Ireland with the same number of points in '18.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 10/03/2020 11:54:55    2273208

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "They beat Galway 3.19.to 24 points on June 15 '19, the night KK and Wex drew as we watched on spellbound in Wexford Park. If Galway had drawn that game they were home and hosed, so Dublin did indeed knock them out last year."
Dublin beat us as they deserved to beat us. Our shocking performances against Wexford and especially Carlow was more the reason Galway didn't progress. Galway were the only team to lose once and not progress. Munster had two teams qualify with two losses. For the record Galway were knocked out on points difference. Not by Dublin.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 10/03/2020 11:58:51    2273211

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would be a little worried about the corner-back positions assuming Daithí resumes at fullback releasing GMac to the halfback line. The likes of Loftus (who is a nice hurler but more of a stickman than a battler) is not really suited to that role and Morrissey is a little slow when turned. I do like the cut of TJ Brennan in the right corner when I have seen him play and (as someone here mentioned already) Fintan Burke could do a job in the left corner so I would go with a backline of TJ Brennan, Daithi Burke, Fintan Burke, Padraig Mannion (if he recovers his pre-2019 form), Gmac, Shane Cooney. Other options would be Harte, Tuohy, Morrissey , Killeen and Loftus to cover for those players."
Some tinkering may be needed. Fintan is a big Bullock of a man so again we may have issues with small nippy forwards causing issues as John McGrath did on Sunday. Brennan had done little wrong so agreed that maybe he should get his spot back. Morrissey had a tough enough day on Sunday but I thought he got to grips with things eventually. (Obviously everyone looked better in the second half) wonder would it be worthwhile trying Daithi at 6? Or both Daithi and GMc in the full back line? Daithi being back would be helpful at this stage. Might quell the football rumours too.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 10/03/2020 12:08:44    2273213

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I wouldn't say Tipp are the worst champions in years, and I don't agree that Wexford are 'far superior' to them, or even better than them. If they were far superior, the time to prove it was last summer. I do agree that there is no need 'to go overboard' about beating Tipp on March 8th, and I feel sure that nobody will.

I do agree that there's a slight 'problem' with Tipp, and that problem imo is that the bulk of observers believe that Limerick are a superior force to them, as evidenced at the Munster Final '19 annihilation. That can't be a nice feeling for Tipp, when they're supposed to be the champions, but everyone is talking about how awesome Limerick are. Even the pundits on TV last evening spent 10mins telling everyone how great Limerick are, and how they 'might' be beaten, and not a word was said about the fact that they are not the all-ireland champions."
I think like Clare and Wexford in the mid nineties and your county in the eighties a team coming back on the scene after a long absence generate a certain amount of hype. Add to this the fact that Tipp are playing average enough, giving up big leads to both Limerick and Galway and only beating Waterford, who had thirteen men and sixteen wides, narrowly at home. I do agree with this hype, but there you go. Incidentally Loughnane, in whatever rag he writes in, yesterday wrote a most skinning appraisal of Tipp at the moment. It was quite mad really.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 10/03/2020 12:08:47    2273214

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would be a little worried about the corner-back positions assuming Daithí resumes at fullback releasing GMac to the halfback line. The likes of Loftus (who is a nice hurler but more of a stickman than a battler) is not really suited to that role and Morrissey is a little slow when turned. I do like the cut of TJ Brennan in the right corner when I have seen him play and (as someone here mentioned already) Fintan Burke could do a job in the left corner so I would go with a backline of TJ Brennan, Daithi Burke, Fintan Burke, Padraig Mannion (if he recovers his pre-2019 form), Gmac, Shane Cooney. Other options would be Harte, Tuohy, Morrissey , Killeen and Loftus to cover for those players."
Ye, we still haven't found our corner backs, Morrissey has done well but needs to hold his ground and mark the player rather than always trying to win the ball. Its a gamble.

Loftus isn't a natural corner back, but he has some good blocking and hooking skills, and will naturally fill in as sweeper if we have a spare man.

Killeen is probably the best defender but is just a bit too slow especially if he gets dragged out the pitch.

TJ looks a super player for one so young and a definite star of the future I would say.

Anything to be said for putting Tuohy back in there, he seems a lot stronger now, he's not a natural defender.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 10/03/2020 13:24:15    2273225

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Some tinkering may be needed. Fintan is a big Bullock of a man so again we may have issues with small nippy forwards causing issues as John McGrath did on Sunday. Brennan had done little wrong so agreed that maybe he should get his spot back. Morrissey had a tough enough day on Sunday but I thought he got to grips with things eventually. (Obviously everyone looked better in the second half) wonder would it be worthwhile trying Daithi at 6? Or both Daithi and GMc in the full back line? Daithi being back would be helpful at this stage. Might quell the football rumours too."
Good insightful post there and would agree with all of that. At least now we have some strength in depth and more options in certain key positions rather than being threadbare (using the same and in fairness largely successful players) as we seemed to be for the last couple of years.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 10/03/2020 13:39:25    2273228

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Ye, we still haven't found our corner backs, Morrissey has done well but needs to hold his ground and mark the player rather than always trying to win the ball. Its a gamble.

Loftus isn't a natural corner back, but he has some good blocking and hooking skills, and will naturally fill in as sweeper if we have a spare man.

Killeen is probably the best defender but is just a bit too slow especially if he gets dragged out the pitch.

TJ looks a super player for one so young and a definite star of the future I would say.

Anything to be said for putting Tuohy back in there, he seems a lot stronger now, he's not a natural defender."
Tuohy is what I call a "free-spirit" hurler. He has a lot of pace and skill plus he can score but he doesn't always use the ball wisely and sometimes can fumble it under pressure especially in defensive positions so as you say he is not a natural defender although he did have some good outings at right cornerback in 2016 / 2017. When he is on song he can be very good but to me he is more a midfielder come sweeper behind midfield as he needs space to get on the ball, go on solo-runs, go for scores etc. I think he is beginning to settle into his new role around the midfield area and is a useful addition to the squad so I would leave him there.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 10/03/2020 14:44:38    2273235

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "I think like Clare and Wexford in the mid nineties and your county in the eighties a team coming back on the scene after a long absence generate a certain amount of hype. Add to this the fact that Tipp are playing average enough, giving up big leads to both Limerick and Galway and only beating Waterford, who had thirteen men and sixteen wides, narrowly at home. I do agree with this hype, but there you go. Incidentally Loughnane, in whatever rag he writes in, yesterday wrote a most skinning appraisal of Tipp at the moment. It was quite mad really."
Limerick look good at the moment but hype can be a dangerous thing Oldtourman...if you take it too much to heart.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 10/03/2020 14:51:47    2273237

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Tuohy is what I call a "free-spirit" hurler. He has a lot of pace and skill plus he can score but he doesn't always use the ball wisely and sometimes can fumble it under pressure especially in defensive positions so as you say he is not a natural defender although he did have some good outings at right cornerback in 2016 / 2017. When he is on song he can be very good but to me he is more a midfielder come sweeper behind midfield as he needs space to get on the ball, go on solo-runs, go for scores etc. I think he is beginning to settle into his new role around the midfield area and is a useful addition to the squad so I would leave him there."
If Touhy has any future it will be around midfield as you say...but please, please let's not consider him a defender, he has no instinct to defend, his style is too careless.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 10/03/2020 14:57:31    2273238

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Ye, we still haven't found our corner backs, Morrissey has done well but needs to hold his ground and mark the player rather than always trying to win the ball. Its a gamble.

Anything to be said for putting Tuohy back in there, he seems a lot stronger now, he's not a natural defender."
I think TJ Brennan looks a fantastic prospect...not sure why he didn't appear on Sunday, injured?

Gmac is playing well so should be left at 3 as far as possible for now. However I like the idea of Daithi playing alongside him, would give a very physical cut to the full line.

I believe the full back line is the key line that SON needs to resolve as it's been our achilles heel all of the past three years . The other lines have lots of options now, bar injuries, problems up the field are resolvable, not so the full back line.

The young goalkeeper Murphy looks the part as well, exceptional distribution and confidence...Skehill still prone to fumbles but has lots of experience so good to have as a backup.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 10/03/2020 15:16:16    2273243

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "If Touhy has any future it will be around midfield as you say...but please, please let's not consider him a defender, he has no instinct to defend, his style is too careless."
That's what I and Galwayspur said Flaherty - he is not a natural defender and IMO the only place for him is around the midfield diamond area where he has space to latch onto balls, solo, take the odd score or lay off a pass which in fairness he is quite good at most of the time.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 10/03/2020 15:37:01    2273251

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "That's what I and Galwayspur said Flaherty - he is not a natural defender and IMO the only place for him is around the midfield diamond area where he has space to latch onto balls, solo, take the odd score or lay off a pass which in fairness he is quite good at most of the time."
Yes...I know you both said that, just making sure! Fully agree he has potential around the middle third but he needs to be a little more physical perhaps with it too.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 10/03/2020 15:59:27    2273259

Link