Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Concannon and Whelan destroyed Tipp in the second half but it's hard to understand why Sheedy left Tipp operating with a two-man full back line. OK, Alan Flynn was probably following his man but playing against the elements it was amazing that Tipp gave so much space to the Galway attack, especially given their well-publicised lack of pace.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 167 - 08/03/2020 22:41:37    2272927

Link

Replying To Kinvara:  "Great performance today, very nice to see them respond well after a tough first half.

The Tipp goals were poor ones to concede, but I think Daithi Burke holds together the full back line so it should improve when he's back. I thought Cooney played well today but I would probably have Mannion at 6, Daithi at 3 and move Harte back to wing back with Gmac and Cooney on the bench should they be needed.

Concannon was a bit wasteful in the first half but was very very good in the second half. I'm not fully sure there's a place for Niland when Canning is back but he is definitely an option.

Whelan is a generational player. He will go down as an All time great and he's probably the toughest player to mark in the country at the moment"
Gmac has been one of our best players and he's on the bench?

I think Cooney has done well, and I'd look to put Fintan back in the corner as I think it might suit him more until he gets a few years under his belt.

Daithi and Gmac could alternate between 3 & 6.

Either way it's great to have more options and competition for places.

Niland is more than a free taker, he gets the ball into hand quickly, and is very aware of whats around him.

Concannon developing nicely, agree re Whelan, himself and Cathal are generational players(as is Daithi), it's a privelege to watch and support them.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 09/03/2020 08:57:12    2272948

Link

I thought David Burke really lifted the intensity around the middle when he came on. Fintan Burke, Touhy and Coen very good around the middle third in the last 15 minutes which forced Tipp to bring Callanan out the field to try and win puckouts.

Concannon probably played some of his best hurling in a Galway shirt. Big positive from yesterday has to be Niland. Worked very hard and his awareness of runners around him is immense. Broke a puckout down in the second half for a crucial score for Conor Cooney and set up Mannion for his goal in addition to his free taking.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 09/03/2020 09:56:53    2272958

Link

Conor Whelan is an incredible player. his second goal was genuinely as good as you would see. The skill, leadership, strength, confidence and finishing ability was top notch. he's some player

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 09/03/2020 10:03:07    2272960

Link

Tipp are the worst All-ireland champions in my memory. They got eviscerated in the Munster final last year and let off the hook in the All-Ireland semi by a far superior Wexford team. They weren't even great against Laois in the quarters. A very poor Kilkenny showed up for one game last season and by beating Limerick gave Tipp their All-Ireland when Richie Hogan lost his sanity. Great to beat them but no need to go overboard. Wexford and their manager are a far more serious outfit now.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 09/03/2020 10:50:02    2272974

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Tipp are the worst All-ireland champions in my memory. They got eviscerated in the Munster final last year and let off the hook in the All-Ireland semi by a far superior Wexford team. They weren't even great against Laois in the quarters. A very poor Kilkenny showed up for one game last season and by beating Limerick gave Tipp their All-Ireland when Richie Hogan lost his sanity. Great to beat them but no need to go overboard. Wexford and their manager are a far more serious outfit now."
I wouldn't say Tipp are the worst champions in years, and I don't agree that Wexford are 'far superior' to them, or even better than them. If they were far superior, the time to prove it was last summer. I do agree that there is no need 'to go overboard' about beating Tipp on March 8th, and I feel sure that nobody will.

I do agree that there's a slight 'problem' with Tipp, and that problem imo is that the bulk of observers believe that Limerick are a superior force to them, as evidenced at the Munster Final '19 annihilation. That can't be a nice feeling for Tipp, when they're supposed to be the champions, but everyone is talking about how awesome Limerick are. Even the pundits on TV last evening spent 10mins telling everyone how great Limerick are, and how they 'might' be beaten, and not a word was said about the fact that they are not the all-ireland champions.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 09/03/2020 11:47:51    2272985

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I wouldn't say Tipp are the worst champions in years, and I don't agree that Wexford are 'far superior' to them, or even better than them. If they were far superior, the time to prove it was last summer. I do agree that there is no need 'to go overboard' about beating Tipp on March 8th, and I feel sure that nobody will.

I do agree that there's a slight 'problem' with Tipp, and that problem imo is that the bulk of observers believe that Limerick are a superior force to them, as evidenced at the Munster Final '19 annihilation. That can't be a nice feeling for Tipp, when they're supposed to be the champions, but everyone is talking about how awesome Limerick are. Even the pundits on TV last evening spent 10mins telling everyone how great Limerick are, and how they 'might' be beaten, and not a word was said about the fact that they are not the all-ireland champions."
Pope the amount of rubbish writing this time of year is unbelievable. It suits Tipp perfect just think back to 2017 Tipp champions and untouchable in league till Galway clipped us in final. Over on the Limerick site they are comparing there panel to the greatest team of all times the great KK team from 2005 to 2014. The truth is and you said it nobody will know until the Summer. For me it's between Galway, KK, Tipp and Limerick with any team capable of beating each other on the day.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 09/03/2020 12:54:56    2273003

Link

It was a good win for Galway in the end when they opened up a bit in the second half and really started to play hurling. I was surprised by how "dirty" Tipp were especially their backs with hurleys up around the helmet face-guards of Galway forwards like Whelan and Concannon when they started to run at them. They were lucky not to pick up more yellow cards at least. Anyone else notice that?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 09/03/2020 14:40:15    2273038

Link

i have seen it and heard it said in a lot of places that wexford were the better team against tipp last year and that wexford should have won. the fact is that wexford had an extra man for the last 20 mins and they didnt make it count. if they couldnt win in those circumstances then i think they simply didnt deserve to win.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 09/03/2020 15:33:38    2273062

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "It was a good win for Galway in the end when they opened up a bit in the second half and really started to play hurling. I was surprised by how "dirty" Tipp were especially their backs with hurleys up around the helmet face-guards of Galway forwards like Whelan and Concannon when they started to run at them. They were lucky not to pick up more yellow cards at least. Anyone else notice that?"
No.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 167 - 09/03/2020 15:51:44    2273065

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I wouldn't say Tipp are the worst champions in years, and I don't agree that Wexford are 'far superior' to them, or even better than them. If they were far superior, the time to prove it was last summer. I do agree that there is no need 'to go overboard' about beating Tipp on March 8th, and I feel sure that nobody will.

I do agree that there's a slight 'problem' with Tipp, and that problem imo is that the bulk of observers believe that Limerick are a superior force to them, as evidenced at the Munster Final '19 annihilation. That can't be a nice feeling for Tipp, when they're supposed to be the champions, but everyone is talking about how awesome Limerick are. Even the pundits on TV last evening spent 10mins telling everyone how great Limerick are, and how they 'might' be beaten, and not a word was said about the fact that they are not the all-ireland champions."
Interesting that Limerick are seen as unbeatable just as they were last year by the pundits. Daly is hyping them up in the paper again today too.

Yet they lost to a KK team Galway beat w/o Joe and lost to an average Cork team last year too.

They match up well against Galway and Tipp but not the others.

Nowhere near the great KK side IMO.

Maybe it suits the pundits to over-hype them?

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 908 - 09/03/2020 16:04:28    2273069

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Tipp are the worst All-ireland champions in my memory. They got eviscerated in the Munster final last year and let off the hook in the All-Ireland semi by a far superior Wexford team. They weren't even great against Laois in the quarters. A very poor Kilkenny showed up for one game last season and by beating Limerick gave Tipp their All-Ireland when Richie Hogan lost his sanity. Great to beat them but no need to go overboard. Wexford and their manager are a far more serious outfit now."
In fairness I don't think we're in any position to cast stones or dispersion upon any team. We have blown up in more All Irelands than I care to remember, and much and all as it pains me, Tipperary won three All Irelands in the previous decade (all against Kilkenny) while we won one against Waterford. Yes Tipperary have generally been awful in the season following an All Ireland win, but I'd still rather be in their place with three All Irelands from the last decade.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 09/03/2020 16:07:49    2273071

Link

Replying To midlands:  "No."
I wouldn't have expected you to notice being from Westmeath and all!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 09/03/2020 16:24:03    2273074

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I wouldn't have expected you to notice being from Westmeath and all!"
Not sure what that comment is supposed to mean but I'm not going down the road of referee-bashing. If anything Johnny Murphy may have been a little over-fussy and he certainly wasn't found wanting in producing yellow cards when warranted. Despite very difficult weather conditions it wasn't by any means a physical game and I didn't see any dirty play from either side.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 167 - 09/03/2020 17:09:38    2273092

Link

Replying To midlands:  "Not sure what that comment is supposed to mean but I'm not going down the road of referee-bashing. If anything Johnny Murphy may have been a little over-fussy and he certainly wasn't found wanting in producing yellow cards when warranted. Despite very difficult weather conditions it wasn't by any means a physical game and I didn't see any dirty play from either side."
Ok fair enough - I thought you were being "smart" but I take your point that you didn't think there was anything too malicious. I thought there were some instances when a free was warranted mainly due to some Tipp high challenges on Galway forwards (particularly on Whelan and Concannon in the second half) but there may have been some that could have gone the other way too.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 09/03/2020 18:20:11    2273108

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "In fairness I don't think we're in any position to cast stones or dispersion upon any team. We have blown up in more All Irelands than I care to remember, and much and all as it pains me, Tipperary won three All Irelands in the previous decade (all against Kilkenny) while we won one against Waterford. Yes Tipperary have generally been awful in the season following an All Ireland win, but I'd still rather be in their place with three All Irelands from the last decade."
It's not accurate to say Tipp have generally been 'awful' in the season following an all-ireland-win. Not in the past 10 seasons anyway. In 2011, they were back in the final, and were competitive in it. In 2017, they were 'labeled invincible' up to the NHL final, and were hugely competitive in the all-ireland semi, a match that Galway 'had Barry Kelly for', and still only scraped home by 1 point. I'd expect Tipp to be 'competitive' in the summer. They really need to beat Limerick for credibility. and so too do Galway.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 09/03/2020 18:38:17    2273114

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "What has Jamie Ryan done to upset you? His club form remains the same. Outstanding. I've no idea if that will replicate county form because he hasn't played county. Look at the incident where Shane Cooney got injured early in the second he went through a number of bodies kicking and forcing the ball forward. And he carried the ball forward on a number of occasions today. Why are you bringing up previous games again? I mentioned his performance today. That's it. Nobody came away with much credit in Limerick. He's a young lad that you are writing off very early with only a few games under his belt."
Did you see the photo of the Tipp no.6 aka Centre Back Paudi Maher when Conor Whelan was scoring the goal? There he was full blooded committed to defend his team ,sprinted back from his Central position to the Full backline and dived with his hurl out to try and block Whelans shot who wasn't even marking him. Now that's what you call a Real no.6.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 09/03/2020 19:46:26    2273129

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "Pope the amount of rubbish writing this time of year is unbelievable. It suits Tipp perfect just think back to 2017 Tipp champions and untouchable in league till Galway clipped us in final. Over on the Limerick site they are comparing there panel to the greatest team of all times the great KK team from 2005 to 2014. The truth is and you said it nobody will know until the Summer. For me it's between Galway, KK, Tipp and Limerick with any team capable of beating each other on the day."
Hold on right there. No Limerick contributor has said that. On e said that so called experts and he roundly contradicted them and was quite right. Most, in fact the vast majority of us Limerick supporters are glad we have a fair good team at last b but few, if any, are saying they are better that they are better that the great KK team

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 09/03/2020 20:46:36    2273136

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Interesting that Limerick are seen as unbeatable just as they were last year by the pundits. Daly is hyping them up in the paper again today too.

Yet they lost to a KK team Galway beat w/o Joe and lost to an average Cork team last year too.

They match up well against Galway and Tipp but not the others.

Nowhere near the great KK side IMO.

Maybe it suits the pundits to over-hype them?"
They beat Kilkenny and Cork when in 2018 on days both those teams put them to the pin of their collar and they have already beaten Cork twice this year, once at home. They also beat good Waterford and Clare teams heavily in last years championship, as well as beating Dublin in the League, the team that knocked Galway out of the championship, after the blues had knocked out Tipp in Thurles Hardly true to say they only play well against Galway and Tipp.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 09/03/2020 20:54:00    2273138

Link

Nobody in Limerick takes Daly or Cusack, or any of these pundits, seriously- end of story. As you rightly say nobody should carried away about matches played in February or March. Tipp won the All Ireland last year and are thus worthy champions as every team that ever won an All Ireland are.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 117 - 09/03/2020 20:59:55    2273140

Link