9. Daragh Burke (St. Thomas')

10. Alan Burke (Oranmore-Maree)
11. Niall Burke (Oranmore-Maree)
12. Bernard Burke (St. Thomas')

13. Sean Burke (Kilconeiron)
14. Niall Burke (Kilconeiron)
15. Eanna Burke (Oranmore-Maree)

Anyone got a keeper?"
Fair play. Shauna Burke of Craughwell in goal maybe.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 729 - 06/03/2020 14:05:00    2272502

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Gmac one of our best players in the league, no place for him??"
Well i think daithi burke has enough credit in the bank to reclaim the no. 3 jersey. while having shane cooney at 6 shows galway's intention to move in a new direction, from having mcinerney at 6. then i see the 2 wing backs as certainties. possibly 2 of the best hurlers in the country.
probably being harsh leaving tadgh harran out as well, could be in there ahead of touhy.
dont think it is harsh to leave conor cooney out though.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 06/03/2020 14:25:49    2272505

Link

Brian Burke Killiomordaly
Gary Burke Turloughmore
Cian Burke Turloughmore
Ronan Burke Gort

galwayforthecup (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 06/03/2020 14:27:58    2272506

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Well i think daithi burke has enough credit in the bank to reclaim the no. 3 jersey. while having shane cooney at 6 shows galway's intention to move in a new direction, from having mcinerney at 6. then i see the 2 wing backs as certainties. possibly 2 of the best hurlers in the country.
probably being harsh leaving tadgh harran out as well, could be in there ahead of touhy.
dont think it is harsh to leave conor cooney out though."
If Daithi is fit he plays wherever, could be 3 or 6 depending on where SON wants to play him, I think the only reason Gmac is at 3 at the moment is because Daithi is out, but I'd imagine both will play if fit, Shane is looking good also.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 06/03/2020 15:31:54    2272515

Link

Lovely sunny day for the egerily awaited Galway v Tipp match even though its live on TG4, I expect a big crowd at this one!
Massive game and test for Galway and whoever wins would be expected to beat Wexford in the Quarter Final and have real momentum going into the Semi Final.
I'm a bit sceptical of the starting 15 O'Neill has picked....still no Daithi Burke at no.3 and keeping faith with S.Cooney at no.6!!
He looks to be going with experience definitely from numbers 8 -15 , so will just have to wait and see how it goes......Really love these Tipp Clashes...timber abú Gaillimh!!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 13:23:45    2272801

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "No. I think ye will take Tipp. It should be a fine game. I also think Waterford will beat limerick. They are the team to watch this year."
Yes i thought ye would do it. Fine display by Galway, but Tipp folded badly at the end. They have had a poor league capaign and only defeated Westmeath convincing as Waterford had 16 wides again them

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 08/03/2020 15:34:51    2272825

Link

Replying To katser:  "Lovely sunny day for the egerily awaited Galway v Tipp match even though its live on TG4, I expect a big crowd at this one!
Massive game and test for Galway and whoever wins would be expected to beat Wexford in the Quarter Final and have real momentum going into the Semi Final.
I'm a bit sceptical of the starting 15 O'Neill has picked....still no Daithi Burke at no.3 and keeping faith with S.Cooney at no.6!!
He looks to be going with experience definitely from numbers 8 -15 , so will just have to wait and see how it goes......Really love these Tipp Clashes...timber abú Gaillimh!!!"
I'm soaking, made the mistake goin to the terrace as it was Sunny when we arrived. But it was worth it.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 395 - 08/03/2020 15:59:22    2272829

Link

Replying To katser:  "I agree with all of this..... so come on SON make a decision, if JC is unavailable for the Tipp match then start young Niland and make him the Free Taker. Let Niland practice this week in training for the role as Free Taker v Tipp.
I'm really looking forward to the Tipp match, anytime Galway play Tipp it gives me a good idea of what standards Galway are at."
Brilliant and always sweet when you humiliate the All Ireland Champions!!!
Delighted he started Nilland and as I expected a top class free taker.
P.Killeen, I've said it time and time he is not suitable for the Galway team.
It's only when he took S.Cooney off that the whole team clicked and started to flow!!
Daithí Burke No.3 GMAC No.6 is the way it should be.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 16:15:33    2272837

Link

Our hurlers are back in business again...surely?

That was one of the gutsiest displays from our hurlers in years...and what was most encouraging is it was the youngsters who stood up most of all, Concannon and Niland have surely cemented their claims to permanent places. Niland is full of vision and awarenesss, he can survive being rather light I believe. Conor Whelan is a Warrior!

Lots of work still to sort out in defence but Shane Cooney and Fintan Burke showed they too look like summer starters.

It's a relief to see the team believes in themselves again.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 08/03/2020 16:23:46    2272839

Link

Replying To katser:  "Brilliant and always sweet when you humiliate the All Ireland Champions!!!
It's only when he took S.Cooney off that the whole team clicked and started to flow!!
Daithí Burke No.3 GMAC No.6 is the way it should be."
I'm pretty sure Shane Cooney was injured when he came off and I thought he played very well...
Gmac played great too at 3 so should be left there. Daithi should be 2 or 6.
Whatever...it's good we seem to have more choices!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 85 - 08/03/2020 16:28:57    2272842

Link

Replying To katser:  "Brilliant and always sweet when you humiliate the All Ireland Champions!!!
Daithí Burke No.3 GMAC No.6 is the way it should be."
What's your issue with Shane Cooney? Two posts today seem to be critical of him. Thought he hurled very well today until he went off injured.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 08/03/2020 17:56:12    2272859

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "What's your issue with Shane Cooney? Two posts today seem to be critical of him. Thought he hurled very well today until he went off injured."
I'm critical with him from day one not just today!
He definitely was at fault for the goal v Cork when the Cork lad did a burner on him from the half foward line and there was Cooney jogging back after him dragging the hurl along the ground completely gassed out .
He is like P.Killeen big awkward and physical but absolutely no speed or pace whatsoever!
On a dry sod and fast ball he wouldn't be able for Inter County hurling speed.
He is like a tractor turning and then Jack knifing getting bogged down when a nippy quick forward takes him on.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 18:50:18    2272867

Link

What a pleasure to be in Pearse Stadium today..really enjoyable. Conor Whelan my God the second goal was top drawer. Hats off Evan Niland what a performance for a first start in NHL. Dare to imagine Niland on frees and the link man with Canning now free to go to the full forward line with Whelan and Concannon..... We have options now

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 08/03/2020 19:12:07    2272872

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'm critical with him from day one not just today!
He definitely was at fault for the goal v Cork when the Cork lad did a burner on him from the half foward line and there was Cooney jogging back after him dragging the hurl along the ground completely gassed out .
He is like P.Killeen big awkward and physical but absolutely no speed or pace whatsoever!
He is like a tractor turning and then Jack knifing getting bogged down when a nippy quick forward takes him on."
Ah Katser, that is harsh, the players always give their all. We all have players we like or maybe think aren't good enough but that is just our opinions. You've slated two players there, one of them has come back from a major injury, we don't hammer amateur players as generally the Galway football and hurling forums are balanced.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 395 - 08/03/2020 19:18:10    2272875

Link

Replying To GDL:  "I'm soaking, made the mistake goin to the terrace as it was Sunny when we arrived. But it was worth it."
Great result, Delighted we have Wexford in the Quarter Final...we will win that.
Just sort out the no.6 and tidy up the Full back line and hopefully ourselves and the Clare lads are in separate Semi Finals and it will be ourselves and the Banner in the League Final Yahoo!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 19:38:46    2272876

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'm critical with him from day one not just today!
He is like a tractor turning and then Jack knifing getting bogged down when a nippy quick forward takes him on."
Fair enough your entitled to your opinion. But vastly different to me. From watching him underage for Galway and for Thomas's I felt he should of got his chance before this season. He's the new breed of half back by which he's a ball playing half back. He plays from the front and drives forward any chance he gets. He had a number of vital interceptions today when he was covering our full back line. Don't like him fine. But call a game as it is without the blinkers. He had a decent game today. And by the time he went off Galway were on the front foot and the tide had turned.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 08/03/2020 19:43:37    2272879

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Ah Katser, that is harsh, the players always give their all. We all have players we like or maybe think aren't good enough but that is just our opinions. You've slated two players there, one of them has come back from a major injury, we don't hammer amateur players as generally the Galway football and hurling forums are balanced."
I'm not doubting that they don't give it 100% I just don't believe they are Suitable for the Galway team.
Let's think big here as in winning the All Ireland again and I wouldn't have faith in them two lads to deliver the goods. The goals Tipp got were scandalous.... McGrath turned him so easily and also there was a big hole in the defence where the no.6 should have been.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 19:54:05    2272881

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Fair enough your entitled to your opinion. But vastly different to me. From watching him underage for Galway and for Thomas's I felt he should of got his chance before this season. He's the new breed of half back by which he's a ball playing half back. He plays from the front and drives forward any chance he gets. He had a number of vital interceptions today when he was covering our full back line. Don't like him fine. But call a game as it is without the blinkers. He had a decent game today. And by the time he went off Galway were on the front foot and the tide had turned."
He plays from the front and drives forward?? I have never seen him driving up the field with the ball from the half back line like the great Pete Finnerty , Sean Silk, Tony Keady(Rip) or even P.Mannion did/does? He has got his chance throughout the league, remember Tom Morrissey made a holy show of him down in Limerick ? He is a liability and going to get caught out.
Are you the fellow who was saying that lad from Loughrea Jamie Ryan should be on the Galway team?
Would you have Ryan on the team now?

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 08/03/2020 20:03:46    2272888

Link

Replying To katser:  "He plays from the front and drives forward?? I have never seen him driving up the field with the ball from the half back line like the great Pete Finnerty , Sean Silk, Tony Keady(Rip) or even P.Mannion did/does? He has got his chance throughout the league, remember Tom Morrissey made a holy show of him down in Limerick ? He is a liability and going to get caught out.
Are you the fellow who was saying that lad from Loughrea Jamie Ryan should be on the Galway team?
Would you have Ryan on the team now?"
What has Jamie Ryan done to upset you? His club form remains the same. Outstanding. I've no idea if that will replicate county form because he hasn't played county. Look at the incident where Shane Cooney got injured early in the second he went through a number of bodies kicking and forcing the ball forward. And he carried the ball forward on a number of occasions today. Why are you bringing up previous games again? I mentioned his performance today. That's it. Nobody came away with much credit in Limerick. He's a young lad that you are writing off very early with only a few games under his belt.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 08/03/2020 21:10:41    2272904

Link

Great performance today, very nice to see them respond well after a tough first half.

The Tipp goals were poor ones to concede, but I think Daithi Burke holds together the full back line so it should improve when he's back. I thought Cooney played well today but I would probably have Mannion at 6, Daithi at 3 and move Harte back to wing back with Gmac and Cooney on the bench should they be needed.

Concannon was a bit wasteful in the first half but was very very good in the second half. I'm not fully sure there's a place for Niland when Canning is back but he is definitely an option.

Whelan is a generational player. He will go down as an All time great and he's probably the toughest player to mark in the country at the moment

Kinvara (Galway) - Posts: 32 - 08/03/2020 22:21:32    2272924

Link