Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To katser:  "SON had C.Mannion C.Cooney J.Flynn and E.Niland all taking frees at different stages of the Match today. That's 4 different free takers and we still chalked up about 17 wides alot of them from frees.
O'Neill obviously hasn't a clue as to who should be first choice Free Taker when Joe isn't starting."
C. Cooney is a strange one. Took a couple against Limerick too. Since the Ballyea shocker a few years ago he doesn't really take them club wise. Maybe he still fancies taking them. I wouldn't have him. Mannion the same. With JC out I would to see Niland on them. Might help him grow into the Jersey.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 01/03/2020 22:04:10    2271411

Link

Replying To katser:  "SON had C.Mannion C.Cooney J.Flynn and E.Niland all taking frees at different stages of the Match today. That's 4 different free takers and we still chalked up about 17 wides alot of them from frees.
O'Neill obviously hasn't a clue as to who should be first choice Free Taker when Joe isn't starting."
Well it's hard to have a clue when they keep missing. None of us are any the wiser as to who the back-up free-taker should be in Joe's absence.
A very important win today. As has been mentioned, we need to be a lot more clinical.
It's still very early and the league is less important now given the championship structure. We have plenty work to do, but we're seeing some improvement.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 729 - 01/03/2020 23:09:31    2271446

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Well it's hard to have a clue when they keep missing. None of us are any the wiser as to who the back-up free-taker should be in Joe's absence.
A very important win today. As has been mentioned, we need to be a lot more clinical.
It's still very early and the league is less important now given the championship structure. We have plenty work to do, but we're seeing some improvement."
That's fair enough but we had 2 proven free takers on the bench, if Joe doesn't play one of them should, puts a lot of pressure on the team not having a proper free taker on the pitch. and it's not as if they are useless when they come on.

Great to get the win at the same time, good battling performance.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 02/03/2020 09:04:19    2271507

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "That's fair enough but we had 2 proven free takers on the bench, if Joe doesn't play one of them should, puts a lot of pressure on the team not having a proper free taker on the pitch. and it's not as if they are useless when they come on.

Great to get the win at the same time, good battling performance."
Niall Burke would be a proven free-taker too, he's excellent at club level. However, he's had a few poor days on the frees at senior intercounty.
I don't think anyone's proven until they've done it consistently at that level. There's an added level of pressure.
In fairness to all, conditions are a nightmare at the moment for free-takers.
Definitley a positive to see how we ground it out. It wasn't looking good after we'd left a lot of scores behind us.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 729 - 02/03/2020 09:34:57    2271515

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "That's fair enough but we had 2 proven free takers on the bench, if Joe doesn't play one of them should, puts a lot of pressure on the team not having a proper free taker on the pitch. and it's not as if they are useless when they come on.

Great to get the win at the same time, good battling performance."
To be in with a shout v TIPP chances have to be taken full stop both from play and frees. TIPP have Jason Forde who is a 90% taker. Niland for me is the back up to Canning but is he a starter yet that said he is making an impact off the bence.
On another point we seem to have found a Keeper in Eanna Murphy excellent yesterday.
There are a lot of positives. SON is building and bringing through players which hasn't happened in a few years.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 02/03/2020 10:54:53    2271555

Link

SON confirmed afterwards that Canning wont be available next week with his injury proving slower to heal that initially thought

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 02/03/2020 11:15:38    2271566

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "To be in with a shout v TIPP chances have to be taken full stop both from play and frees. TIPP have Jason Forde who is a 90% taker. Niland for me is the back up to Canning but is he a starter yet that said he is making an impact off the bence.
On another point we seem to have found a Keeper in Eanna Murphy excellent yesterday.
There are a lot of positives. SON is building and bringing through players which hasn't happened in a few years."
I think Niland has a bit more to offer from open play than he is getting credit for, set up a lovely score for David Burke and did the same last week for Whelan against Waterford. He is very quick to get the ball into hand and has good awareness of whats around him.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 02/03/2020 12:34:25    2271613

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "I think Niland has a bit more to offer from open play than he is getting credit for, set up a lovely score for David Burke and did the same last week for Whelan against Waterford. He is very quick to get the ball into hand and has good awareness of whats around him."
I agree... He has made a difference on both days. He seems to be everywhere. Jamie Barron type player.Just what we need young lads doing well and pushing

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 02/03/2020 13:34:15    2271646

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "I agree... He has made a difference on both days. He seems to be everywhere. Jamie Barron type player.Just what we need young lads doing well and pushing"
I agree with all of this..... so come on SON make a decision, if JC is unavailable for the Tipp match then start young Niland and make him the Free Taker. Let Niland practice this week in training for the role as Free Taker v Tipp.
I'm really looking forward to the Tipp match, anytime Galway play Tipp it gives me a good idea of what standards Galway are at.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 02/03/2020 18:34:20    2271757

Link

Fancy Tipp to trim us for a finish

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 03/03/2020 16:04:12    2271996

Link

Replying To RicoSuave:  "Fancy Tipp to trim us for a finish"
No. I think ye will take Tipp. It should be a fine game. I also think Waterford will beat limerick. They are the team to watch this year.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 03/03/2020 17:51:08    2272026

Link

Galway are coming together and notting will pump you up and get the blood boiling like a match against the oul enemy. Both Galway and Tip have not shown their hand yet and are using the league for fitness and maturing players. Galway will have to up it a few notches if they are to beat Tip. I would like to see tadgh harnan get another chance or has SON decided he is not up to it. Cathal Mannion midfield and should be the number 2 free taker after JC.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 03/03/2020 19:26:47    2272044

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Galway are coming together and notting will pump you up and get the blood boiling like a match against the oul enemy. Both Galway and Tip have not shown their hand yet and are using the league for fitness and maturing players. Galway will have to up it a few notches if they are to beat Tip. I would like to see tadgh harnan get another chance or has SON decided he is not up to it. Cathal Mannion midfield and should be the number 2 free taker after JC."
I think Cathal is a reluctant free taker tbh, I know its difficult in salthill sometimes but he missed a few. Important that we have someone else that is reliable freetaker, Haran or Niland.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 04/03/2020 10:58:33    2272140

Link

Surprised that no mention of Hoppers Callini anywhere on here. So have to post this here as nowhere else to put it.
Just to say congratulations to the beautiful ladies who revived the glory days of Bullaun and New Inn last Sunday in Croke Park.
Whilst the whole team did Galway proud, it just goes to show that breeding has much to do with sporting success.
This was proven by the wonderful clutch of Hopper and his great sporting wife.
Then we had a Cooney in their doing her stuff.
This in way takes away from what was a great team effort, which deserves a mention on here. After all it is not every day an all Ireland crosses the Shannon - well apart from Galway minors that is.

waterside4 (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 04/03/2020 17:10:16    2272222

Link

Replying To waterside4:  "Surprised that no mention of Hoppers Callini anywhere on here. So have to post this here as nowhere else to put it.
Just to say congratulations to the beautiful ladies who revived the glory days of Bullaun and New Inn last Sunday in Croke Park.
Whilst the whole team did Galway proud, it just goes to show that breeding has much to do with sporting success.
This was proven by the wonderful clutch of Hopper and his great sporting wife.
Then we had a Cooney in their doing her stuff.
This in way takes away from what was a great team effort, which deserves a mention on here. After all it is not every day an all Ireland crosses the Shannon - well apart from Galway minors that is."
Correction - "this in NO way takes away"

waterside4 (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 04/03/2020 19:38:07    2272246

Link

From the outside looking in, this is what i think galways best team might look like;

1Murphy
2Morrisey
3Burke
4Coen
5Mannion
6Cooney
7Burke
8Burke
9Mannion
10Burke
11Canning
12Touhy
13Whelan
14Flynn
15Concannon

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 06/03/2020 10:32:54    2272453

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "From the outside looking in, this is what i think galways best team might look like;

1Murphy
2Morrisey
3Burke
4Coen
5Mannion
6Cooney
7Burke
8Burke
9Mannion
10Burke
11Canning
12Touhy
13Whelan
14Flynn
15Concannon"
We'd have a decent team of Burke's in the county. Anyone able to put together a 15 from senior clubs?

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 729 - 06/03/2020 12:01:19    2272475

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "We'd have a decent team of Burke's in the county. Anyone able to put together a 15 from senior clubs?"

2. Fintan Burke (St. Thomas')
3. Ronan Burke (Turloughmore)
4. Cathal Burke (St. Thomas')

5. Eanna Burke (St. Thomas')
6. Daithi Burke (Turloughmore)
7. Kenneth Burke (St. Thomas')

8. David Burke (St. Thomas')
9. Daragh Burke (St. Thomas')

10. Alan Burke (Oranmore-Maree)
11. Niall Burke (Oranmore-Maree)
12. Bernard Burke (St. Thomas')

13. Sean Burke (Kilconeiron)
14. Niall Burke (Kilconeiron)
15. Eanna Burke (Oranmore-Maree)

Anyone got a keeper?

BurkeCountryCeiliBand (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 06/03/2020 12:54:56    2272486

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "From the outside looking in, this is what i think galways best team might look like;

1Murphy
2Morrisey
3Burke
4Coen
5Mannion
6Cooney
7Burke
8Burke
9Mannion
10Burke
11Canning
12Touhy
13Whelan
14Flynn
15Concannon"
Gmac one of our best players in the league, no place for him??

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 06/03/2020 12:57:58    2272487

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "No. I think ye will take Tipp. It should be a fine game. I also think Waterford will beat limerick. They are the team to watch this year."
I'll give you evens on that double!

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 06/03/2020 13:43:03    2272498

Link