Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Absolute nonsense calling off today's game, I went to Galway & Salthill today & the prom was busy with people walking. We went to the Connacht match last night when the weather was even worse & the game went ahead, the pitch there was in great shape. The pitch in Pearse Stadium had a massive six figure sum spent on it 3 years ago so should have been well able to take the game. Another backlog looming & club games put on the back burner again.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 997 - 16/02/2020 17:35:36    2267984

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Absolute nonsense calling off today's game, I went to Galway & Salthill today & the prom was busy with people walking. We went to the Connacht match last night when the weather was even worse & the game went ahead, the pitch there was in great shape. The pitch in Pearse Stadium had a massive six figure sum spent on it 3 years ago so should have been well able to take the game. Another backlog looming & club games put on the back burner again."
Duggan Park in Ballinasloe is in perfect condition and can also play Saturday Night games under lights at 7pm.
Easy to get too, straight off the motorway with big wide streets for parking.
No traffic problems getting in or out of the ground and could hold 6,000 people no bother.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 16/02/2020 20:10:53    2268015

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Absolute nonsense calling off today's game, I went to Galway & Salthill today & the prom was busy with people walking. We went to the Connacht match last night when the weather was even worse & the game went ahead, the pitch there was in great shape. The pitch in Pearse Stadium had a massive six figure sum spent on it 3 years ago so should have been well able to take the game. Another backlog looming & club games put on the back burner again."
I was at the Connacht game also. Great game. Great win. Couldn't hurl in it though. You know. Because in rugby the ball spends most of the time going through the hands. And in hurling its on a soaking sod. And the game was called off due to health and safety reasons in conjunction with the Gardai. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. Be surprised if it affected club games. League Final was due to be on 22nd March. Even a week delay puts it on the 29th which is a week prior to the start of our club championship.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 504 - 16/02/2020 20:21:52    2268016

Link

Replying To katser:  "Duggan Park in Ballinasloe is in perfect condition and can also play Saturday Night games under lights at 7pm.
Easy to get too, straight off the motorway with big wide streets for parking.
No traffic problems getting in or out of the ground and could hold 6,000 people no bother."
Pearse Stadium is a white elephant. Duggan Park is an excellent option for matches with its location.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 908 - 17/02/2020 09:05:53    2268070

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Pearse Stadium is a white elephant. Duggan Park is an excellent option for matches with its location."
Sell Pearse Stadium.Renovate Duggan Park, buy the Fair Green across the road from it and fill it with concrete for a mega Car Park.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 17/02/2020 10:35:09    2268092

Link

Great call to call it of early in the morning for people travelling.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 18/02/2020 22:22:48    2268380

Link

Another defeat for SON v Waterford today.
Don't worry there will be no backlog of Club games because lose to Cork next weekend and the league is over for Galway.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 23/02/2020 16:04:32    2269299

Link

Sickener for the lads, but with all those wides we were the authors of our own downfall today, because other than that, some of the lads played lovely hurling.

This league was always going to be a challenge given the managerial woes, but that was a game we should have at least earned a draw from.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 23/02/2020 17:22:01    2269342

Link

At some stage it comes to a point where players need to stand up and be counted. Certain players are getting chance after chance and delivering very little week in week out. Have we any better I personally don't know but we need to draw a line with a few players.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 23/02/2020 21:22:36    2269479

Link

Another defeat to a Waterford team who have done nothing in the last few years. Conor Cooney doesn't score whatsoever and is withdrawn - if Galway are to have a good year then he must perform. I am slightly worried with games v Cork and Tipp to come. It is clear that the aura we once possessed is now long gone after a disappointing 2019.

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 24/02/2020 09:11:29    2269579

Link

Our lack of scoring power is extremely worrying, 0-30 in our last two games, while Limerick pretty much put that score up in one game against Cork yesterday. When we won the All Ireland in 2017 we were putting up huge scores in every game, however bar the Leinster Final Replay in 2018 when we scored 1-28 and 1-23 in regular time in the semi final against Clare (1-30 after extra time) our scoring returns have been awful since then to say the least. We rarely look like scoring a goal, and while you could live with our lack of goals if we were putting up huge points tallies, or current scoring return is like something from the 80s or 90s. Definitely a major worry, and especially considering the likes of Limerick and Tipperary are putting up massive scores every week.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 24/02/2020 12:01:34    2269665

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "At some stage it comes to a point where players need to stand up and be counted. Certain players are getting chance after chance and delivering very little week in week out. Have we any better I personally don't know but we need to draw a line with a few players."
draw a line with who?

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 127 - 24/02/2020 14:46:44    2269756

Link

Replying To CillTormoir:  "draw a line with who?"
flynn and n burke are two that come to mind for every good game they have they have 2 or 3 where they are not influential.

c cooney really needs to step up soon to keep his place

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 24/02/2020 15:36:01    2269782

Link

Replying To RicoSuave:  "Another defeat to a Waterford team who have done nothing in the last few years. Conor Cooney doesn't score whatsoever and is withdrawn - if Galway are to have a good year then he must perform. I am slightly worried with games v Cork and Tipp to come. It is clear that the aura we once possessed is now long gone after a disappointing 2019."
I thought Cooney looked good against Limerick when he came on, not involved whatsoever yesterday.

I would have hoped we'd make a bit of a statement that we're still around, can't see us beating Tipp as they will be well up for it. Not sure we will beat Cork but I think it's important we do.

for the time he was on, Flynn wasn't as bad as some make out.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 24/02/2020 16:21:54    2269797

Link

Replying To jm25:  "flynn and n burke are two that come to mind for every good game they have they have 2 or 3 where they are not influential.

c cooney really needs to step up soon to keep his place"
The problem is that there are too many players that were very very influential in 2017 that are off form including the likes of Conor Cooney, Jason Flynn and Niall Burke and there are not too many of the younger players really stepping up to take their place. Its worrying at the moment and the lack of goals and even points scored is beginning to hurt the team leading to poor results. The return of Daithí Burke, David Burke, Joe Canning and possibly / hopefully Joseph Cooney and Johnny Glynn should help but the work-rate and intensity also has to increase big time starting against Cork in the next game.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 24/02/2020 16:26:54    2269800

Link

Replying To RicoSuave:  "Another defeat to a Waterford team who have done nothing in the last few years. Conor Cooney doesn't score whatsoever and is withdrawn - if Galway are to have a good year then he must perform. I am slightly worried with games v Cork and Tipp to come. It is clear that the aura we once possessed is now long gone after a disappointing 2019."
I don't ever remember an 'aura' carrying much currency for the Galway hurlers on Walsh Park trips, in terms of 'getting results' in winter/spring NHL fare. We won there in 2013 to stay up iirc, and I don't believe we've won there since, despite having to go to Waterford almost annually in recent seasons. and of course making two trips a year ago with weather issues. A 1pt loss yesterday, with the team we're currently fielding, was a fairly good result, imo.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 24/02/2020 19:08:25    2269844

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I don't ever remember an 'aura' carrying much currency for the Galway hurlers on Walsh Park trips, in terms of 'getting results' in winter/spring NHL fare. We won there in 2013 to stay up iirc, and I don't believe we've won there since, despite having to go to Waterford almost annually in recent seasons. and of course making two trips a year ago with weather issues. A 1pt loss yesterday, with the team we're currently fielding, was a fairly good result, imo."
By media reports, Galway played well so its with anticipation we await Cork , this is a home game we must win for confidence alone.
Look we need someone to hit the onion net constantly. Is it Whelan put in on the square or is it JC to another. One thing for sure we are going nowhere if we dont start hitting the net

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 25/02/2020 07:25:40    2269948

Link

Rico. I have a feeling Waterford could be much better in Munster this year. They were riddled with injuries two years ago and last year everything seemed to go off the rails under Fanning. They are much better than that and I feel with a good Manager, as Cahill is, they could take a few scalps this year. I alaaso think Galway will improve as the year goes and with Clare and Wexford will there or thereabouts.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 25/02/2020 15:14:03    2270092

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "By media reports, Galway played well so its with anticipation we await Cork , this is a home game we must win for confidence alone.
Look we need someone to hit the onion net constantly. Is it Whelan put in on the square or is it JC to another. One thing for sure we are going nowhere if we dont start hitting the net"
we need to look at canning closer to goal. not necessarily at 14 but if he gets a head of steam up inside 25 metres he is usually going for the onion bag.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 908 - 27/02/2020 15:54:46    2270511

Link

Replying To CillTormoir:  "draw a line with who?"
Skehill, Coen, Tuohy, Niall Burke, Concannon, Flynn and Haran definitely in last chance saloon. Cathal Mannion and Conor Cooney sailing close to the wind now too. A few others who need to pull their socks up like Loftus and Killeen but they haven't had quite as many untaken chances to impress as the aforementioned players just yet.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 27/02/2020 17:01:27    2270523

Link