Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Are the players there, I mean really there good enough ready to leave everything on the pitch.

Lots of reasons why MoD left Galway , seasoned observers believe MoD seen that the players were not there. Against Limerick in 2018 we put out a team carrying injuries why well because no one on the Galway squad were showing anything in training to suggest a place on the team.

Iam a SoN fan , we need the players to stand up and give everything for the cause.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 06/02/2020 18:08:08    2265743

Link

Folks - some perspective here. Limerick game was the first real test, the first week of February. Lots of more tough league games to come and let's use it to find out who can stick the pace at 6 or 3 and who do we have as a backup. I can't believe the disrespect for SON in some recent treads; he is giving players a chance to stand up and make the team, players to potentially make it in a different position and for us then have alternatives come championship time or a forced injury.

Sliotar99 (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 06/02/2020 22:09:01    2265805

Link

Replying To katser:  "Tommy, this O'Neill lad is going to be a complete Disaster...I'd say he hasn't a clue and only took the Galway job for his own ego.
He drops lads because they are not ball winners?
How many balls did Concannon or Kilcommins or even Flynn win the last day!
He is trying to mould S. Cooney into a Galway no 6?
Shane is a great Club no 6 but is clearly out of his depth with a County no 6 Jersey.
O'Neill definitely isn't get the best out of Gmac, P.Mannion,C.Mannion, C.Whelan and C.Cooney its backwards they are going and these men would be the heart and engine of the team.
If the Manager is too easy going, laid back and not passionate about the job,well its obvious the players will be the same.
Galway don't even look fit or in shape. There is no aggression or even interest to burst a gut to win!
O'Neill needs to get the finger out!!!!!!"
We 've had one real game( Westmeath game practically a challenge match once they had their centre back sent off) and he is not getting the best out of lads??? Cooneys first game back so how could he be not getting the best out of him. , trying G Mac at full back when Daithi is out seems sensible as what if Daithi gets injured or we try Daithi out the field... give SON a chance, we need to try something new and that's what he is trying to do

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 06/02/2020 23:02:52    2265825

Link

Replying To katser:  "Will you don't mind JJ Delaney or any of them other outsiders..they will only butter us up like they've been doing for years, the eyes don't lie and you can only go with what you see.
I'm saying O'Neill isn't getting the best out of Conor Cooney even though he made a difference when he came on.
Let him leave GMAC at 6 and P.Mannion wing back and not to be messing with team and confusing the players, it's his job to get them into shape and Sharpe.
I was thinking myself if Joe Canning played at 14 , would he rattle in consistent goals for us!
What would Conor Whelan be like at 11, he is some bull of a man!"
whelan could play anywhere 8 to 15 hes so good but id leave him in close to goal as he is our only real consistent goal threat.

c mannion would play 11 for me.

id love to put a rocket up flynn the poster is right that said hes too easily quitented hes a shadow of the player from when we got to all ireland in 2015.

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 07/02/2020 08:00:10    2265855

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "I think they have the players and we'll struggle to beat them imo. Davy gets the best from them also, not because he jumps up and down but because he is a good manager.

Jury still out on SON, but jumping up and down isn't going to win us an AI."
The jury is still out on SON, for god's sake he's barely in the job a wet week, not to mention he has taken over a side that in truth is probably on the wane, and of course he has to deal with that old awful Galway trait of been frustrating to the point of driving you insane. Maybe MOD knew the writing was on the wall for this team, and got out while history would still be kind to him, either way SON has a big rebuilding job on his hand, not to mention the elephant in the room in that Joe has at best one to two good seasons left in him. I would hazard a guess that all Galway supporters are dreading the day that the great mean departs the scene, for while none of us would like to admit it, we are an average side at best without Joe.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 07/02/2020 09:51:16    2265883

Link

It's gone a bit mad for sure.

Shane Cooney does deserve another chance, I thought he did ok, still think we will end up with Daithi at 3 and Gmac at 6, I don't think P Mannion is strong enough for 6. Playing GMac at 3 for now is a good idea imo and he hasn't done too bad there either.

Conor Cooney looked better than I'd seen him in a Galway jersey for a long time, his best position is full forward though.

I think we'll need Whelan at 11, we need ball winners and they seem to be in short supply.

Joe at 14 would yield more goals and I'd like to see us try that, but no point having him in there if we don't get the ball into him, he's probably better where he is at the moment.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 07/02/2020 10:09:14    2265888

Link

I have great hope for SON and he'll be a success in the long run if he's given enough time. Having said that; anyone who doesn't think Limerick are going to win Liam this season is in denial or not within their full senses. They left a handy All-Ireland behind them last year and they'll make sure there's no complacency this year. I still think we're the second best team in the country with all players available. It's still painful every time I think of this second rate Tipp team being All-Ireland champions.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 07/02/2020 14:49:07    2265954

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "We 've had one real game( Westmeath game practically a challenge match once they had their centre back sent off) and he is not getting the best out of lads??? Cooneys first game back so how could he be not getting the best out of him. , trying G Mac at full back when Daithi is out seems sensible as what if Daithi gets injured or we try Daithi out the field... give SON a chance, we need to try something new and that's what he is trying to do"
Let's see what SON does for the Tipp match this weekend so.
Its important to get places 3, 6, 9, 11, 14 nailed down and sorted, then fill the other places with the best we have.
Start Daithi Burke 3, Gmac 6, David Burke 9, JC 11, Conor Cooney 14.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 11/02/2020 11:36:32    2267017

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "I have great hope for SON and he'll be a success in the long run if he's given enough time. Having said that; anyone who doesn't think Limerick are going to win Liam this season is in denial or not within their full senses. They left a handy All-Ireland behind them last year and they'll make sure there's no complacency this year. I still think we're the second best team in the country with all players available. It's still painful every time I think of this second rate Tipp team being All-Ireland champions."
I wish this were true Mailman98, but is this just you been spiteful stating that Tipp are a second rate team. I'm no lover of the Premier County, but this is a team that won three All Irelands in the last decade, not to mention hammering Kilkenny in three finals, whereas we failed miserably against Kilkenny on almost every occasion when it counted. Yes I also have great hopes for SON, although part of me thinks that this side underachieved, and are now on the wane, hopefully they will prove us wrong.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 12/02/2020 12:38:26    2267271

Link

Given we are still missing Daithi and David Burke, I would expect something like this on Sunday. We badly need a performance.

Murphy
Brennan
McInerney
Morrissey
Mannion
Cooney
Harte
Haran
Linnane
Mannion
Canning
Bleahene
Cooney
Whelan
Flynn

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 12/02/2020 15:20:36    2267333

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Given we are still missing Daithi and David Burke, I would expect something like this on Sunday. We badly need a performance.

Murphy
Brennan
McInerney
Morrissey
Mannion
Cooney
Harte
Haran
Linnane
Mannion
Canning
Bleahene
Cooney
Whelan
Flynn"
Lessons need to be learned from the Limerick game. Both corner backs were badly exposed on the day.
The Limerick midfield were the platform for their win and lets face it we had no answer with O'Donovan ending up player of the game.
Flynn has got more than enough chances and his return has been minimal.
Bleahane has the size but has he the hurling???
On a positive note Murphy has a lot of potential in goal.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 12/02/2020 17:19:20    2267364

Link

Really looking forward to Sunday and the visit of Tipp. Not the end f the world if we lose but it would be nice to win

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 12/02/2020 18:02:56    2267369

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Lessons need to be learned from the Limerick game. Both corner backs were badly exposed on the day.
The Limerick midfield were the platform for their win and lets face it we had no answer with O'Donovan ending up player of the game.
Flynn has got more than enough chances and his return has been minimal.
Bleahane has the size but has he the hurling???
On a positive note Murphy has a lot of potential in goal."
Thought TJ Brennan was actually ok in Limerick, problem was too much space in front of him when the ball was coming in. Agree that Flynn and Bleahane wouldnt be in the team only we are missing Joe Cooney and Glynn. Also if we had David Burke, it would allow Haran to move into the forward line.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 13/02/2020 09:38:56    2267455

Link

This Sunday is the real test for SON against a very good Tipp team and a huge test for Galway.
He needs to have the two Burkes, Daithi and David and basically the strongest/best team possible available.
A win for Galway would be massive and gives us a great boost, but a defeat and we will be under big pressure to get results against Cork & Waterford teams that are flying it.
Forget about the last game....This is the REAl game v Tipp that I want Galway to Deliver.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 13/02/2020 20:05:54    2267570

Link

Is Kieran Donaghy still involved with the Galway hurlers?

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 496 - 14/02/2020 15:38:04    2267701

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Is Kieran Donaghy still involved with the Galway hurlers?"
No, he would have gone along with the previous management, although what exactly he brought to the setup last season nobody seems to know!!

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 14/02/2020 16:32:41    2267712

Link

Galway (HL1A v Tipperary): J Skehill; D Morrissey, G McInerney S Loftus; P Mannion, S Cooney, F Burke; C Mannion, A Tuohy; N Burke, J Canning, T Haran; S Bleahene, C Whelan, C Cooney

Subs: E Murphy, TJ Brennan, P Killeen, S Linnan, J Grealish, C Walsh, E Niland, J Flynn, B Concannon, D Kilcommins, J Mannion

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 354 - 14/02/2020 22:52:23    2267769

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Galway (HL1A v Tipperary): J Skehill; D Morrissey, G McInerney S Loftus; P Mannion, S Cooney, F Burke; C Mannion, A Tuohy; N Burke, J Canning, T Haran; S Bleahene, C Whelan, C Cooney

Subs: E Murphy, TJ Brennan, P Killeen, S Linnan, J Grealish, C Walsh, E Niland, J Flynn, B Concannon, D Kilcommins, J Mannion"
Tipp Team
B.Hogan, C.Barrett, B.Heffernan,S O'Brien, S.Kennedy, P.Maher,R.Maher,A.Flynn M.Breen,J.Morris,J. O'Dwyer,C.Darcy J.McGrath, S.Callanan, J.Forde.
Tipp starting the big guns to go all out for the win!
Great test for our full back line and Shane Cooney marking Bubbles! Hope the match goes ahead and we see how this starting 15 do for Galway and Mr SON.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 15/02/2020 09:38:50    2267791

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Is Kieran Donaghy still involved with the Galway hurlers?"
Gone with the Dineros, never to be seen again. What a difference it made..........................................
Might as well have had AP Mc Coy come in to give them a plan to dethrone Tipp.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 997 - 15/02/2020 11:51:38    2267802

Link

Not surprising that today's game has been called off but credit to all involved for making the call early enough to ensure that potential spectators had ample notice, especially anyone who would have been travelling some distance.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 167 - 16/02/2020 11:34:47    2267927

Link