Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thought we could use this to chat about the team selection, performances, etc for the balance of the league. Lots of exciting games ahead that should give us a great insight into the mindset of the new management team. The league is unlikely to get any tougher than the LIT Gaelic Grounds this Sunday. Limerick have strength in depth, and are likely to run up a decent score (even with a relatively small number of 'natural' marksmen) Really looking forward to it.

Spudsareboilin (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 29/01/2020 10:09:08    2263420

Link

Schedule sets up lovely for us in this league. See what happens in Limerick on Sunday and then we have a week break before Tipp at home which gives an opportunity for the St Thomas' lads and Daithi to come back into the side.

Can imagine most of the team that lined out last weekend will start again on Sunday aside from resting Darren Morrissey who has a game on Thursday. Would be good to see the forwards click this weekend, they were over-playing the ball against Westmeath.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 29/01/2020 13:36:33    2263498

Link

I actually hope Darren Morrisey plays this Sunday, as he absolutely looks like a player for the future, and also it won't get much tougher than playing arguably the best team in the country at home. Dying also to see Fintan Burke in a Galway jersey, it actually is great to see Shane O'Neill so willing to try young players, as it's something that we have been crying out for years. We have some seriously tough fixtures this year in the National League after three years of f**ting around in Division 2, so hopefully these games will stand to us, and some new talent will be unearthed.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 29/01/2020 15:25:01    2263534

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Schedule sets up lovely for us in this league. See what happens in Limerick on Sunday and then we have a week break before Tipp at home which gives an opportunity for the St Thomas' lads and Daithi to come back into the side.

Can imagine most of the team that lined out last weekend will start again on Sunday aside from resting Darren Morrissey who has a game on Thursday. Would be good to see the forwards click this weekend, they were over-playing the ball against Westmeath."
If the forwards didn't 'click' v Westmeath, I won't be holding my breath that they'll 'click' in Limerick.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 29/01/2020 15:46:32    2263537

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "I actually hope Darren Morrisey plays this Sunday, as he absolutely looks like a player for the future, and also it won't get much tougher than playing arguably the best team in the country at home. Dying also to see Fintan Burke in a Galway jersey, it actually is great to see Shane O'Neill so willing to try young players, as it's something that we have been crying out for years. We have some seriously tough fixtures this year in the National League after three years of f**ting around in Division 2, so hopefully these games will stand to us, and some new talent will be unearthed."
Crying out for years..for new players...really? One year, I'd say, max. 2017 champs. 2018, bust their ass trying to bring it back again. 2019, maybe needed new players. So, one year max, let's keep it real.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 29/01/2020 16:01:01    2263540

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "I actually hope Darren Morrisey plays this Sunday, as he absolutely looks like a player for the future, and also it won't get much tougher than playing arguably the best team in the country at home. Dying also to see Fintan Burke in a Galway jersey, it actually is great to see Shane O'Neill so willing to try young players, as it's something that we have been crying out for years. We have some seriously tough fixtures this year in the National League after three years of f**ting around in Division 2, so hopefully these games will stand to us, and some new talent will be unearthed."
I agree on Darren Morrisey. In fairness to Micheál Donoghue, in both the 2018 and 2019 leagues he played at least 30 players in both seasons. Unfortunately, very few made sufficient impact to get retain a place come championship.

Spudsareboilin (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 30/01/2020 10:31:38    2263702

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Crying out for years..for new players...really? One year, I'd say, max. 2017 champs. 2018, bust their ass trying to bring it back again. 2019, maybe needed new players. So, one year max, let's keep it real."
A few new faces might have helped in 2018. We did incredibly well to reach another All Ireland final, but in truth we were struggling for most of that season (particularly defensively) and bar injuries pretty much the same team was been picked over and over again.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 30/01/2020 11:45:40    2263722

Link

Its an opportunity to have a look at Fintan Burke at this level maybe corner back. I would also expect to see Conor Cooney come into the forward line...

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 30/01/2020 12:15:41    2263736

Link

Team is being named this evening for Limerick. Good news today is that most of the St Thomas' lads are available for selection and David Burke is coming back a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 30/01/2020 12:24:52    2263740

Link

I think its a little bit unfair on MOD, Morrissey played against the Dubs, was injured prior to that, likewise Fintan would have been on the panel only for injury.

He could have given Haran and Ja a bit more time in the league in 2019 I would say but not sure there was anyone exactly playing brilliantly. Probably Shane Cooney deserved a chance as well.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 178 - 30/01/2020 12:59:53    2263746

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "I think its a little bit unfair on MOD, Morrissey played against the Dubs, was injured prior to that, likewise Fintan would have been on the panel only for injury.

He could have given Haran and Ja a bit more time in the league in 2019 I would say but not sure there was anyone exactly playing brilliantly. Probably Shane Cooney deserved a chance as well."
Galway senior hurling team to play Limerick this Sunday.

1 E Murphy
2 S Loftus
3 G McInerney
4 TJ Brennan
5 P Mannion
6 S Cooney
7 A Harte
8 A Tuohey
9 S Linnane
10 D Kilcommins
11 C Mannion
12 J Canning
13 J Flynn
14 C Whelan
15 S Bleahene

Wegian (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 30/01/2020 21:27:48    2263882

Link

Replying To Wegian:  "Galway senior hurling team to play Limerick this Sunday.

1 E Murphy
2 S Loftus
3 G McInerney
4 TJ Brennan
5 P Mannion
6 S Cooney
7 A Harte
8 A Tuohey
9 S Linnane
10 D Kilcommins
11 C Mannion
12 J Canning
13 J Flynn
14 C Whelan
15 S Bleahene"
Thanks for posting this. Building for the future it would appear. Pity that Haran picked up an injury as he'd made a great start to 2020 and scored 6 points last week, despite being removed form the frees.

Spudsareboilin (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 31/01/2020 09:24:20    2263922

Link

Well off pace, that much is clear. But you'd hardly be surprised by that given the managerial saga. Nothing won or lost in February, so onwards and upwards lads.

Gaillimh abú!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 02/02/2020 16:56:30    2264503

Link

I know its very early days and I'm not trying to be petty but I am a bit worried about the demeanor of the manager Shane O'Neill on the sideline. He seemed to be rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him without much concern. I'm not saying he should act like a lunatic (like some others we all know!) but at least show a bit of animation or urgency as the players seem to feed off his lethargy and proceeded to follow his lead in that.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 04/02/2020 21:35:39    2265227

Link

Seems that Tom Monaghan, Glennon, Flannery and Darragh Burke have been cut from panel which now stands at 36. Expect a few more cuts in the next week or two. Also, side note which is probably more relevant if he is underage for u20 championship but Jack Canning is back in Portumna.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 114 - 05/02/2020 10:20:29    2265295

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Seems that Tom Monaghan, Glennon, Flannery and Darragh Burke have been cut from panel which now stands at 36. Expect a few more cuts in the next week or two. Also, side note which is probably more relevant if he is underage for u20 championship but Jack Canning is back in Portumna."
why has flannery been dropped? darragh burke also a surprise

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 127 - 05/02/2020 11:55:32    2265325

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know its very early days and I'm not trying to be petty but I am a bit worried about the demeanor of the manager Shane O'Neill on the sideline. He seemed to be rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him without much concern. I'm not saying he should act like a lunatic (like some others we all know!) but at least show a bit of animation or urgency as the players seem to feed off his lethargy and proceeded to follow his lead in that."
Their is a saying " you can take a man from the bog but you cant take the bog from the man" maybe it's a Limerick conspiracy to have Shane in the Galway job ha ha. Slagging and all apart Tommy you are right it would be nice to see a bit of passion from players and management.

We need hunger and talent, a few position switches. Interesting McGrath comments to try dathie at midfield. Tadgh played well against carlow so he needs to be tested and see if it's a position he can make his own or could we have him as an attacking half back.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 05/02/2020 13:21:59    2265349

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Their is a saying " you can take a man from the bog but you cant take the bog from the man" maybe it's a Limerick conspiracy to have Shane in the Galway job ha ha. Slagging and all apart Tommy you are right it would be nice to see a bit of passion from players and management.

We need hunger and talent, a few position switches. Interesting McGrath comments to try dathie at midfield. Tadgh played well against carlow so he needs to be tested and see if it's a position he can make his own or could we have him as an attacking half back."
Good post heartbroken and I fully agree. Yes it is early days but I am not overly convinced by the newer players yet e.g. Loftus, Concannon etc. apart from TJ Brennan who looks a very good prospect with proper support around him. Fintan Burke could also be a very good left halfback -there has been a lot of talk about him and he certainly is not a forward judging by the St. Thomas's - Borrisoleigh clubs semi-final.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 05/02/2020 13:47:53    2265358

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know its very early days and I'm not trying to be petty but I am a bit worried about the demeanor of the manager Shane O'Neill on the sideline. He seemed to be rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him without much concern. I'm not saying he should act like a lunatic (like some others we all know!) but at least show a bit of animation or urgency as the players seem to feed off his lethargy and proceeded to follow his lead in that."
Loughane likened MOD to 'Father Trendy' in the championship summer of 2016, and that comment was rooted in the same sort of observation, but MODs 'priestly' sideline manner still delivered the grandslam in 2017.

Shane O'Neill is possibly a little advanced intellectually to be bothering with excessive animation on the sideline. If he's rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him next June, then we'll all be lobbying that he gets a 1 year term.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 05/02/2020 15:05:03    2265390

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Loughane likened MOD to 'Father Trendy' in the championship summer of 2016, and that comment was rooted in the same sort of observation, but MODs 'priestly' sideline manner still delivered the grandslam in 2017.

Shane O'Neill is possibly a little advanced intellectually to be bothering with excessive animation on the sideline. If he's rooted to the spot, staring out blankly at the awfulness unfolding in front of him next June, then we'll all be lobbying that he gets a 1 year term."
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2020/0205/1113222-finding-the-right-answers-a-tall-order-for-oneill/

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 05/02/2020 16:12:29    2265415

Link