Derry Forum

Derry V Dubs

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well lads and lassies, how do you see this one going the weekend??

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 11/03/2014 20:19:32    1558512

Link

Either way, it'll be another hurling score.

The black card has tilted the game big style towards attack. Somebody somewhere on a forum last year said it would be good for Derry, given the lack of cynicism in the team (see the Cavan game). Looking that way so far.

Another new development is how a team plays after taking a big lead. As seen last week, trailing even by double digits early on, no longer means the game is over. There'll still be the odd "Cavanagh" tackle on attackers going through, but only if its very late on.

Back to game; containment is no longer an option. So if Derry can get a decent lead early on, they can weather the Dubs inevitable fight back and push on in final quarter to win the game.

On the other hand, Dublin will tear someone a new one sometime soon. Derry will have to watch out it isn't them.

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 13/03/2014 09:33:42    1559063

Link

Absolutely dying for this.

Love away days.

Havent been up to that particular neck in the woods a while.

Up The Dubs !!

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13502 - 13/03/2014 13:03:57    1559180

Link

I think Derry will win this game, but It will be to the wire. This current Dublin team don't lose many games, and only by a single point if they did lose in the past 2 seasons ( Thinking Tyrone and Cork ).

Dublin's forwards are top drawer, and they tend to keep the oppositions defenders/sweepers occupied. Dublin use certain speedy backs to run through in waves to attack. Seen Johnny Cooper recently at it, and Jack McCaffrey is another speed demon who nips downs the left flank and can normally make his way into the goal mouth are.

Derry minus the Bradley brothers have currently built a very formidable outfit, a strong team with plenty of pace and scoring ability.
It should be an excellent game, I would think a very open and high scoring game.

Mary B's will be rocking if Derry win

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 13/03/2014 13:27:43    1559196

Link

Not expecting very much out of this game. Travelled to Cork last weekend and was not overly impressed. The cracks in this Derry team was exposed in the 1st 15 minutes of the Cork game. We had players marking space instead of marking their man, defenders standing 3 or foot off their man constantly. We made it too easy for the Cork forwards, our defenders need to learn to press the play, we can't allow opposing forwards to win so much easy ball. We need all our players playing at the top of their games, we rely too heavily on Lynch, Doherty, O'Kane etc too play well. It's everyone that needs to up their game.

Last week against Cork, in my opinion one of the most talented footballers in Ireland had a shocking game and was subsequently subbed. He was subbed because his work rate off the ball is appalling, in our 3 previous games it was glossed over because of the final result but against Cork a blind man could see his work rate was awful. Another point, a member of the management team talking about All Stars at this time of the year is absolutely crazy.

I want to see Derry competing with the best in Ireland and winning championships so let's see a vast improvement against the Dubs.

If anyone was at the U21 match last night you could see evidence of some of the pre madonna's in the Derry Jersey. They want too look the part but don't want to put in the effort.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 13/03/2014 17:32:27    1559333

Link

Looking forward to the dublin game should be a decent crowd,hopefull of a better start to the game and dont be behind early on.think it will be close and the dubs out of croker you never can tell how they settle out of their comfort zone,when they played westmeath away they won but it will give us a chance of a upset.Our minors and under 21 s still under acheive why?

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 13/03/2014 18:27:50    1559359

Link

I tipped Derry to be a surprise package on the main forum last year and was laughed at. They have shown this year that they can compete with the best and they will be a tough proposition in Celtic Park. However they won't have played a fast attacking team such as a Dublin yet. I'm normally a pessimist but I have a sneaking suspicion that Derry may be caught on the hop here and the Dublin forwards are due to take more of the many goal chances that they have been creating. Should be a good open game of football.

Derry lads - for Dubs travelling up by car where will be the best place to park bearing in mind that City have a game in the Brandywell that day as well?

Up the Dubs!

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4025 - 13/03/2014 20:45:39    1559415

Link

Joxer
County: Dublin

Derry lads - for Dubs travelling up by car where will be the best place to park bearing in mind that City have a game in the Brandywell that day as well?

Up the Dubs!

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 14/03/2014 12:45:27    1559607

Link

Joxer
County: Dublin

I just checked and yes it appears Derry City v Cork City is in The Brandywell at 15.15. With Celtic Park and The Brandywell placed right next to each other, I think its a bit mad that nobody had flagged this. But it should be grand.

Parking is awkward, but I would suggest parking below the Brandywell stadium on the Old Letterkenny road which leads to Killea village in Donegal. If driving back to Dublin afterwards, you can actually continue out that road follow signs to Lifford, cross over the bridge in Lifford to Strabane in Co Tyrone, and proceed via the A5 Omagh/Monaghan/Ardee road to Dublin.

That would be much quicker than trying to go back into the city after the game, and crossing the double deck bridge and make your way to Strabane.

Safe Journey up on Sunday.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 14/03/2014 12:57:44    1559614

Link

Gerrymac, don't worry there is plenty of parking, Saint Cecilia's college car park is open on match days. From the mini roundabout at the end of Foyle Road, take right onto Lonemore rd, drive past Celtic Park and take the 1st exit on the left, about quarter way up the hill you will see the school car park on e left.

Hope this helps and safe journey, hopefully you'll enjoy the match but not the result,

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 14/03/2014 13:21:50    1559629

Link

Gary/Oak - thanks very much for the advice. As an avid Bohs fan as well as an avid Dubs fan, I'd be tempted to drop into the Brandywell to catch a few minutes of the city game. Anyway Dubs come first.

Will stick to your advice re parking. Let's hope it's a good game and the result goes the right way :)

Enjoy the match but hopefully not too much ;)

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4025 - 14/03/2014 14:59:07    1559679

Link

your very welcome WAYNOL . will the dubs have many travelling , may be worth while in the bars afterwards in derry city ?

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 14/03/2014 21:05:15    1559838

Link

GET BEHIND OUR TEAM PLEASE . DONT BE EMBARRASSED AND LEFT LOOKING LIKE DUMMYS AT HOME .. DOIRE ABU

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 14/03/2014 21:37:49    1559863

Link

C,mon Da Dubs. This should be a good open game of ball looking forward to the crack with the derry ones...

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 15/03/2014 10:37:04    1559911

Link

Ok, that should secure Div. 1 status for next season ....

No, seriously - absolutely fantastic result lads.

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 16/03/2014 15:42:12    1560226

Link

Well done on your result today lads, some of your players played some lovely football. Ref was poor for both sides , but that's the way it goes. ye kicked some beautiful points and deserved your victory.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 16/03/2014 16:52:54    1560322

Link

All I want to say is 'thanks'.was waiting to see a Derry performance that could match and beat the best in Ireland.

Great turnout by our supporters today, keep the support going as I feel we are going places with this team.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 16/03/2014 17:21:06    1560354

Link

Well done to the derry lads great result lynch,the doc,patsy,all had fine displays should give us belief confidence were a match for anyone.The ref had a shocker defo pen and black card,tremendous vocal support also Doire abu

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 16/03/2014 18:41:25    1560448

Link

Good result for Derry today other than ourselves i hope Derry can win ulster think b mc iver good manager best of luck for the rest of the season

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 755 - 16/03/2014 19:59:09    1560548

Link

OakGael
County: Derry

1560354 All I want to say is 'thanks'.was waiting to see a Derry performance that could match and beat the best in Ireland.

Great turnout by our supporters today, keep the support going as I feel we are going places with this team

well deserved victory,but matching and beating the best in Ireland,dude that was dublins b team,enjoy your win.

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 1869 - 16/03/2014 20:28:33    1560582

Link