Derry Forum

Derry V Armagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

93vintageyear and Orlaith, ye pretend that ye want people to come out and support the team but at the same time you can't help getting the wee dig in that anyone coming out now will be jumping on the 'bandwagon'.Do you resent not having all the glory to yourself? Not the actions of people who truely want others to support the cause. I'm starting to think you might be the same person. Were you on the Sunday game at the weekend too 93vintageyear???!!!

idirandalinn (Donegal) - Posts: 155 - 21/06/2011 10:02:36    961590

Link

I welcome all supporters to any game the more the better. Our degree of success will be reflected in the support level and vice versa as in any other county or sport. I hope to see you all at the game on 17 july in your colours with your flags and in fine voice.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 21/06/2011 10:51:45    961654

Link

Bosch.. what game were you at ?, Bradley was fouling Donaghy, ie. lying against him and then falling, ( an old Canavan trick), inc tugging his own jersey, then he runs to the umpires, he wanted an Armagh man sent off, ask Andy Mallon what happened prior to their little altercation.
How was Aaron Kernan injured, ask one of your Derry forwards, Ref or linesman didnt see that incident.
Steve Mc Donnell and Jamie Clarke were pulled and dragged all over the place, I know Mc Allary got yellowed, but what about 3 others.
As for your Manager, it's not his job to point things out to the Ref or Linesmen, his function is to Manage his team, solely, not harass and verbally abuse the officials.

sam02 (Tyrone) - Posts: 643 - 21/06/2011 11:34:05    961712

Link

Sam02 get over yourself, forwards drawings fouls of defenders has been going on for years and it takes a cunning forward to win these types of fouls ie as you rightly mentioned Canavan was an expert at it, but don't tell me Armagh forwards don't do it. Your blaming everyone else whereas you should be blaming the Armagh players and management for your failings on Sunday.

I've watched Derry for a hell of a long time and they have produced awful displays and you just have to take it on the chin and admit on the day the better tem won.

On another note, I always felt that Derry would beat Armagh but I have to admit I didn't see us winning by such a margin. I have a lot of friends in Armagh and they told me prior to the game that this Armagh team are no way near as good as people are making out (words of your own supporters), maybe they got over confident after the Down result, I don't know but the same thing could happen to Derry in the final if they rest on there laurels.

Championship football is unpredictable and the form book is nothing to go by.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 21/06/2011 12:26:58    961767

Link

There is nothing more unpleasant to the palate than sour grapes.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 21/06/2011 12:37:55    961774

Link

derryman
County: Derry

As they say around my part of the country, the only thing worse than a sour grape, is a sour apple ;)

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 21/06/2011 12:46:23    961786

Link

mourne army
There does appear to be a few in the orchard tis summer

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 21/06/2011 13:01:51    961804

Link

Strange to hear Armagh fans complaining off dirty tatics we could list quite a few from Armagh players down through the years but maybe some people have short memories best leave it at that

redonion (Down) - Posts: 180 - 21/06/2011 13:24:07    961837

Link

What a result! Havent even seen the replays yet! Hopefully will get the whole match tonight. Raging I missed it but cant wait to the 17th. I want Tyrone. What an atmosphere that would be!

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 21/06/2011 13:38:46    961854

Link

Come on Sam02, do you want me to start naming incidents where a Derry player was fouled?!

Swings and roundabouts.

Armagh didnt lose because of a referee, they lost due to P O'Rourke not closing up the massive space your half backs left for Skinner and Deets to run into.
I could have kicked passes into that area!

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 21/06/2011 15:18:43    961988

Link

By the by i wouldnt be getting too carried away on the back of this performance, as is the case with Derry supporters (eternal optimists).
We always have one big game in us and its been against Armagh, Fermanagh was a red herring, a half decent club team could have beat Fermanagh. (No offence to Fermanagh people, i know other factors have dictated your county team this year).
So it remains can we string a 2nd big game together for the final?

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 21/06/2011 15:23:21    961992

Link

sam02
County: Armagh

Bosch.. what game were you at ?, Bradley was fouling Donaghy, ie. lying against him and then falling, ( an old Canavan trick), inc tugging his own jersey, then he runs to the umpires, he wanted an Armagh man sent off, ask Andy Mallon what happened prior to their little altercation.
How was Aaron Kernan injured, ask one of your Derry forwards, Ref or linesman didnt see that incident.
Steve Mc Donnell and Jamie Clarke were pulled and dragged all over the place, I know Mc Allary got yellowed, but what about 3 others.
As for your Manager, it's not his job to point things out to the Ref or Linesmen, his function is to Manage his team, solely, not harass and verbally abuse the officials

haha look at this man nit picking cant taking your beating son, go away and analyze the game and come back to me. Derry where better than Armagh on Sunday full stop,even your own manager and players said it. you cant buy hunger and the oak leafers had it on Sunday.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 21/06/2011 15:57:41    962054

Link

A friend of mine is from Warrenpoint in Co.Down he wasn't raised in a GAA background and had never been to a game in his life b4 and went to the All-Ireland final last year and could only name two players in Coulter & Marty Clarke, now you could call him a glory hunter or to look at the otherside of it he enjoyed the experience that much he went to a few lge games and then their first championship game against Armagh. To cut a long story short success builds a new fan base and thats whats its all about for years to come, im sure a few of our fans came from the success of the early 90's and have followed the team since. To be honest i dont think their will be a shortage of tickets for the Ulster Final and anyone that wants to come will be able to get their hands on a ticket, the more the merrier.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 21/06/2011 16:48:45    962133

Link

congrats lads on a great win. nice to see ye coming back into form.
just wondering what the charge was for the game, adults, children etc!

overview (Mayo) - Posts: 88 - 21/06/2011 16:54:02    962145

Link

topcat1

961214 MickeyMouse

945136 Another semi final defeat on its way. More of the same as we don't have the players, why can't halve of ye not see it. It would be fantastic to do it, but it aint gonna happen.

Well MickeyMouse - so much for your negative prediction! Think I'll take your predictions with a pinch of salt in future!

Think we should rename him "Mickey Quiet as a Mouse"

In fairness though we're all Derry men and im sure you enjoyed every minute of it Mickey.

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 21/06/2011 17:08:31    962171

Link

Think we should rename him "Mickey Quiet as a Mouse"

best comment ever on this forum! I think like the irish news once said about the Baker - he's keeping his powder dry!

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 21/06/2011 19:21:42    962341

Link

RE Idirandalind sorry 2 disappoint u i was in the gerry arthur stand with my son on sun past and had a great fathers day,whats adonegal man getting his knickers in a twist when orlaith and myself were only telling the truth it must hurt PS MISSED ONE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN 20 YEARS LONGFORD DONT WANT A PAT IN THE BACK its just embaressing when we travel all over ireland and our support is poor compared 2 other counties.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 21/06/2011 21:08:52    962447

Link

i dont know how some of our followers can blame the ref for this defeat i thought he got most of the calls he made spot on though there were a few iffy ones but nobodys perfect , we were beat phsyicially , tactically , on the field and on the line by the better team/manager on the day . time to lick our wounds and learn from this and hopefully get a good run in the qualifers . i hope derry go on a win ulster . good luck to all .

appleboy (Armagh) - Posts: 479 - 22/06/2011 15:56:53    963052

Link

'Mickey quiet as a mouse' lol, that was funny. Lads I enjoyed the victory as much as any of you, and hope tp God we can win the thing. it was a pleasure to go to Clones and watch great football without blanket defenses etc. Here is my view. I see so many similiarities from the Monaghan game two years ago in Clones. I see James Kilet referring to it in one of the interviews. We scored somthing like 3:16 against Monaghan, a better team than Armagh were on Sunday, basically a shoot fest between to two teams with poor defences. No doubt brilliant for us.The real question that has to be answered before we all get carried away, is can we beat a team with a blanket defense, and to further complicate matters can we put two bigs games back to back in the Ulster championship (please don't insult the players by suggesting Fermanagh was a championship game). The psychological problem of getting over a semi final has been sorted due mainly to a very good draw, not having a host of injuries, Brennan of course, and finally, it will be interesting to hear you views on this, to not having many of the older players who have failed miserably in so many semifinals ie Paddy Bradley, Doherty, Patsy Bradley, Mc Cusker, Mc Cloy. I know that after the championship game in Celtic park last year that the derry management decided to go with the youth and forget about those players for the already mentioned psychological barrier, and they introduced more young players, interestingly Brennan had aproximately 11 of those on, and with Doherty not playing and PB injured, his hand was forced and I think this has also helped immensely in the mental battle that was an obvious weeakness in that group of players. |But back to the blanket defense, another perennial problem for us for years. We will play either tyrone, who will play a blanket defense against ue or Donegal who will play an ultra blanket defense, interestingly in the tow league games this year where we played teams will ultra blanket defense ie Donegal and laios, we lost heavily. We genuinely have agreat chance in the final if it is Tyrone, but if its Donegal, it woill be more difficult due to the type of players we have. But thats for next week when we know who we play. Really enjoyed the football and particulary the execution of all the goals, particulary Eoin Bradleys finish, so typical of him, IMO a much better player than the brother. Doire Abu

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 174 - 22/06/2011 16:05:41    963070

Link

Brolly_4_pres .............another one who has crept out of the woodwork, prob because Derry City were playing an away game lol.
Everyone who knows anything about Gaelic Football could see what was going on last Sunday, a) Ref , putting Armagh backs on Yellows b) Bradley drawing " Canavan type " fouls, he was the aggressor. c) Manager yapping and snarling like a pitbull terrier at the linesman and referee.
Hope Donegal beat you lot out the gate, yes , they will beat Tyrone on Sunday.

sam02 (Tyrone) - Posts: 643 - 23/06/2011 09:35:51    963539

Link