Derry Forum

Derry V Armagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i would urge fellow derry gaels to come to clones and support your county,traditionally our support is average till poor ,if we can get 5000 we will do well.Armagh are a improving side ,but not in the top bracketof sides like kerry cork dublin kildare,so if these derry players are hungry and motivated we can shade it.There has not been a draw so far i dont know if theres a replay or not.So i would like to wish JB AND ALL DERRY PLAYERS THE BEST FOR SUNDAY,hope we can make it to the ulster final.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 14/06/2011 19:01:14    956465

Link

Derry will win this match no bother.

Armagh are being hyped up on the basis of beating a vastly overrated Down team.

Derry have far better forwards than Armagh and will win handy enough.

Legendary_Lad (Derry) - Posts: 10 - 14/06/2011 21:06:50    956615

Link

it will be interesting 2 see if Armagh go with the new attacking system or revert back to the old blanket defence,last year at celtic park they had 13 men behind the ball and we struggled 2 break them down .A mallon fouled skinner all day and got away with it and being frustrated stupidly gotl sent off,i hope this referee is better than last years.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 14/06/2011 21:08:03    956618

Link

Coldrick is a very fussy referee, so it'll probably be a stop start encounter.

Skinner has the beating of anyone in the Armagh defence, pulling and dragging is the only way they can stop him, so i'm sure it'll be more of the same.

Legendary_Lad (Derry) - Posts: 10 - 14/06/2011 21:23:23    956633

Link

coldrick is the best referee in the country without a shadow of a doubt , you are lucky to have him so please dont complain as it infuriates me

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 14/06/2011 21:32:35    956638

Link

This is last chance saloon for alot of our boys Big Enda, McCloy, McGuckin, Gilligan, Gillis (along with Paddy Bradley & Fergal Doc) have been the mainstays of our team for the last 7/ 8 seasons, the years have gone by with little or no reward we all remember the semi final lows heartache and disappointments. Its time to right a few wrongs, lets get serious this will be no walk in the park we are up against it , Armagh represent a fierce challenge. Its time to step up to the plate and rise to the challenge for our younger players the likes of Lynch, O'Kane, Diver, Skinner and the McGoldricks these boys are no rookies they are seasoned championship players who's time it is now to show the country that we are not a bunch of nearly men. I wish Derry all the best for Sunday, and tell everyone in the county to get behind us, we need all the support we can get to help us push over the line on Sunday. Good luck boys Doire Abu!

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 15/06/2011 10:08:38    956768

Link

All the best to Derry on Sunday. There seems to a few things going against us with the injuries to some big names, but it's from positions of adversity that characters are tested. Hopefully the lads are ready for that test this weekend. Will be watching intently from afar.

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 15/06/2011 12:48:59    956984

Link

Unfortunately I am unable to get to the semi-final on Sunday due to personal circumstances (first championship match I will miss in 17 years). Supported Derry in the good times and bad times and will continue to do in the future.

I wish the players and management team all the very best for Sunday and I have no doubt in my mind that under JB we will break this semi-final hoodoo. People on this forum have slated players who have contributed greatly to Derry over the years without any recognition of success in the way of championship medals. Players like Muldoon, McGuckin, McCloy, Gilligan have been great servants for our ounty and when they were at their peak they deserved the plaudits. These boys have experience and hunger to win and I don't like people doubting their ability. Yes this may well be their last chance but lets get behind them and drive them on.

As a county lets stopping knocking our footballers and get behind them as success breeds success.

Derry by 4 points on Sunday (I would settle for a repeat of the last 1 point win over Armagh in Clones) was a great day that day and I felll Sunday will just be as good.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 15/06/2011 14:31:25    957159

Link

it would make a change if derry or donegal could break Armagh or Tyrones dominance and win ulster 2011,1998 the last team `derry`to win other than them.Can it be done this year,or will it be another status quo.Alot of young kids in derry under 10 8s would benefit if the anglo celt could be delivered,winning helps promoting gaa success breeds success,kids aspire to be there heroes when they watch there county successfull ,i remember 93 the feel good factor it brought 2 fellow gaels around the county kids were excited about being an anthony tohill or henry downey,so it would be positive if we can reach the final on sunday .

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 15/06/2011 18:50:50    957466

Link

93vintageyear
County: Derry

957466 it would make a change if derry or donegal could break Armagh or Tyrones dominance and win ulster

Agree with you there from a nuetral point of view it would be nice if there were 2 different teams competing in ulster final.I can see Donegal beating the red hands but as for yourselves tough call...

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 15/06/2011 20:55:12    957624

Link

I seen Enda Muldoon has been appointed a coach in Derry City, couldn't think of a better man to be teaching football skills to young kids. Speaking of the big easy if Brennan employs him as a third midfielder on Sunday much like against Fermanagh its likely Armagh would man mark him and maybe drag out Ciaran McKeever to give Enda a tough time and not afford him time on the ball. Do you think Enda would be able to shake off the "extra attention" he's sure to get on Sunday?

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 16/06/2011 12:35:28    957862

Link

Enda Muldoon is a Derry legend, and such a nice fella. I would play him corner forward and thump high balls into him, he would cause serious damage, getting on in years therefore wouldn't expect a lot of running off him, but hes a great target man.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 16/06/2011 14:10:17    957985

Link

Big Enda quality player suffered alot of injuries past few years,need him on sunday 2 be at his best,would play him at full forward or corner also.He is the only one in squad with an ulster sen medal.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 16/06/2011 16:45:42    958152

Link

Enda Muldoon is best played around the middle were he can pick the passes into the forwards, quick ball from the middle in helps negate any blanket defence tactics.
If we had another Enda then fair enough id put him in full so he could kick himself the ball.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 17/06/2011 08:49:33    958489

Link

Still looking forward to this still confident. G o K a big miss but if we can not concede goals we will win this.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 17/06/2011 19:34:28    959187

Link

Good luck to the senior footballers tomorrow against Armagh - noticable we are being completely written off - Daily Mirror, Irish News, RtE teletext, Hoganstand all picked Armagh to win (rightly so ) we never carry the favourites tag well anyway so from that point of view the pressure is off - i would still like to being going in to this game with PB GoK James Conway and Patsy Bradley fully fit (Brennan has had no luck with injuries) - but at least if we can keep it tight with 15 mins to go you never know what might happen - we have to believe - Doire Abú !

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 18/06/2011 10:59:52    959337

Link

Hope to see plenty of Doire Gaels in Clones tomorrow, hopefully a great match and cracking atmosphere!!

sean og (Armagh) - Posts: 1004 - 18/06/2011 11:07:02    959340

Link

i hope derry play the expansive football that has served them so well this year
john brennan is obviously the right man for the job so hopefully derry can stick with him for the forseoable future and derry can build under him and get some continuity going .
lynch , bradley , gilligan and muldoon can cause armagh problems with the different qualities each player brings and the likes of kilet , bateson , mcgoldrick and oboyle can chip in with some scores
would be great for ulster , derry and derrys people to win this big match , derry hasnt had much luck in the last few years and to reach an ulster final without pb and under brennans first year would be huge
good luck!

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 18/06/2011 12:37:33    959393

Link

Anyone know how much of a crowd attendance roughly there will be...

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 18/06/2011 12:50:19    959406

Link

15000 roughly speakn 2 a few derry gaels and quite a few makin trip tomorrow,maybe 5000 plus support for derry,i hope we put in a big performance and we will see were that takes us.hopefully we can get the correct matchups player for player right,tighten up defensively break even at midfield not b 2 far away.Headn 2 clones 2 give doire support 2morrow so again wish JB AND DERRY PLAYERS THE BEST OF LUCK for the match. DOIRE ABU / /.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 18/06/2011 13:35:03    959439

Link