Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Uptheduffer:  "Would have to agree that lads got over excited with the result in Mullingar. We should take each game as it comes rather than talk crap about how we are going to win promotion after one decent result. It was obvious that some players just didn't show up today.

Serious questions have to be asked of management. Both Ciaran Moran and young Shane played an influential role in the result in Mullingar and yet both left out of the starting line up today? instead of who? D O'Brien? Alan Kelly? John Murphy? Absolutely disgraceful in my opinion. There is a disgraceful attitude in the county at the moment, and several lads have touched on it here already, and it is the reluctance of management to drop/replace those familiar faces who have been in at county level for the last couple of years. It's about time we saw management introduce the new fresh faces they harp on about because the familiar faces aren't producing what is required. So hesitant to make calls on the sideline and introduce changes where needed. Gary Kelly's man scored 3/4 points off him in the first half and he wasn't taken off until 5 mins to go.

The starting half forward line was very weak. They lacked the pace required for that role in the modern game, particularly with the tactics and system Carlow are trying to implement. Absolutely no support when lads broke forward they were forced to turn back and play the handball back and forward."
Agree 100%. Time and time again players looked to feed brendan Murphy when he demanded ball instead of taking on the task of running direct or looking to make something different happen themselves . Carlow have some big physical players and a more traditional 15 on 15 set up would have caused London lots of problems instead of a game plan that allows little room for error (as we saw).

GAAman41 (Dublin) - Posts: 87 - 12/02/2017 23:33:43    1955813

Link

With this result it looks like a Carlow, London and Wicklow battle to see who finishes bottom of D4. Cannot see London picking up too many more points as they are travelling for each match this year.
Carlow had a good result last weekend but yesterday has really nullified that result.
Wicklow are struggling at the moment. Cannot really see where their first points are coming from.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 13/02/2017 08:00:22    1955867

Link

We got our first point last week jack. I think there is far to much been made of this game plan, no matter what way you play if the work rate is not there it won't work. Yesterday was ugly there is no doubt about that but stick with how we are playing and make sure the work rate is there, out reaction to falling behind was bad also we were turning on each other on the field shouting and roaring at your team mates instead of focusing on your own game which in the end is the only thing you can directly change. Mentally we seem very weak that's not something that can be fixed with any plan

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 13/02/2017 09:10:29    1955904

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "We got our first point last week jack. I think there is far to much been made of this game plan, no matter what way you play if the work rate is not there it won't work. Yesterday was ugly there is no doubt about that but stick with how we are playing and make sure the work rate is there, out reaction to falling behind was bad also we were turning on each other on the field shouting and roaring at your team mates instead of focusing on your own game which in the end is the only thing you can directly change. Mentally we seem very weak that's not something that can be fixed with any plan"
if you really believe there was a plan there yesterday you have some imagination Barrow sider. :》

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 13/02/2017 11:06:15    1956014

Link

Of course there was a plan it just didn't work, panic set in too moving Murphy to full forward was a mistake also.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 13/02/2017 11:31:57    1956029

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Of course there was a plan it just didn't work, panic set in too moving Murphy to full forward was a mistake also."
panic set in by half time when he removed three players... who were not the poorest trio on the field, as it happened.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 327 - 13/02/2017 11:48:02    1956046

Link

Murphy going full forward caused a lot more problems for London than we had done earlier in the game so how was that a mistake

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 13/02/2017 12:05:05    1956055

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "We got our first point last week jack. I think there is far to much been made of this game plan, no matter what way you play if the work rate is not there it won't work. Yesterday was ugly there is no doubt about that but stick with how we are playing and make sure the work rate is there, out reaction to falling behind was bad also we were turning on each other on the field shouting and roaring at your team mates instead of focusing on your own game which in the end is the only thing you can directly change. Mentally we seem very weak that's not something that can be fixed with any plan"
Carlow played Louth in the O'Byrne cup and should have beaten them, played Westmeath and should have beaten them, two "glorious" defeats if there is such a thing, A week or so later Carlow drew with Westmeath in the NFL in Mullingar and drew with them, should have beaten them, it's worth remembering Louth were de facto leinster champions in 2010, Westmeath were leinster finalists in 2015 and 2016, as supporters we were all reasonably happy.
Personally I was happy enough with Carlow's performance against Westmeath although it fell a bit short of a winning performance, so getting back to the London game, it's my belief that some were still thinking of the Westmeath game and not enough thought on the London game, a couple more looked a bit drained, motionless, tense, frustration set in, as a result work rate is down and tenacity is gone.
Westmeath didn't take too kindly in the way that the same Carlow team drew with them and indeed could have beaten them, so they pulled out all the stops against limerick Carlow have to learn from yesterday's result/performance against London, and reverse it against limerick in the same way as Westmeath did, that will be the real test.
The players know what's needed to win, management should know too.?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 13/02/2017 12:20:58    1956068

Link

Supersub you make good sense. 5 performances and one disaster yesterday. I think we will pick it back up in the next game vs Limerick.
London had their homework done on Carlow's short kickout game and they man-marked for this every time and got the rewards. We need to vary our kick-outs long and short.
With so many London players committed to pushing right up on our back line we would have benefited from long kicks.
London also got some great long range scores in the first half using the wind. Some of our players being critisized on this forum have played their hearts out and worked extremely hard since end 2016.

Let's get over it as the players and management will and look forward to the next game.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 251 - 13/02/2017 12:59:18    1956091

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Carlow played Louth in the O'Byrne cup and should have beaten them, played Westmeath and should have beaten them, two "glorious" defeats if there is such a thing, A week or so later Carlow drew with Westmeath in the NFL in Mullingar and drew with them, should have beaten them, it's worth remembering Louth were de facto leinster champions in 2010, Westmeath were leinster finalists in 2015 and 2016, as supporters we were all reasonably happy.
Personally I was happy enough with Carlow's performance against Westmeath although it fell a bit short of a winning performance, so getting back to the London game, it's my belief that some were still thinking of the Westmeath game and not enough thought on the London game, a couple more looked a bit drained, motionless, tense, frustration set in, as a result work rate is down and tenacity is gone.
Westmeath didn't take too kindly in the way that the same Carlow team drew with them and indeed could have beaten them, so they pulled out all the stops against limerick Carlow have to learn from yesterday's result/performance against London, and reverse it against limerick in the same way as Westmeath did, that will be the real test.
The players know what's needed to win, management should know too.?"
Agree with you on that no point turning on each other now, they need to take the frustration of yesterday and throw it all into the next games.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 13/02/2017 13:26:13    1956115

Link

Like most supporters here actually felt sick in the stomach when I heard the result - we have no God given right to win given our record over the decade but I suppose we dared to dream that something different might be in the air this year. I can only imagine how the players felt last night, today and for maybe the rest of the week. However, the only and best response is to go out the next day and try to put things right. As said before, this division always throws up surprise results and maybe some of the front runners may stumble yet.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 476 - 13/02/2017 14:35:05    1956172

Link

Big game this week, hopefully they can put the London game behind them and show what they are capable of, a win put us back in contention lose and it's all over for another year. I hope there are a few changes, I'd like to see Sean Murphy at midfield with Brendan murphy, that would give us some much needed pace there which we are lacking now. Changes will be forced on us in the forward line with Broderick out ciaran moran and Shane O'Neill should probably step in there, wing forwards need looking at two they left our backs badly exposed the last day. I also hope there are some changes made to the kick out strategy as its jot working

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 20/02/2017 16:15:49    1958761

Link

Heard we beat Armagh in a pratice game the weekend gone. Used long kick outs. That's all I heard. Does anyone have anymore information?

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 20/02/2017 19:10:10    1958847

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Big game this week, hopefully they can put the London game behind them and show what they are capable of, a win put us back in contention lose and it's all over for another year. I hope there are a few changes, I'd like to see Sean Murphy at midfield with Brendan murphy, that would give us some much needed pace there which we are lacking now. Changes will be forced on us in the forward line with Broderick out ciaran moran and Shane O'Neill should probably step in there, wing forwards need looking at two they left our backs badly exposed the last day. I also hope there are some changes made to the kick out strategy as its jot working"
hate to have to say this Barrowsider but I honestly think our goose is cooked already as far as this league is concerned. Hope i'm wrong but doubt it.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 20/02/2017 19:56:53    1958872

Link

Shane Clare and Danny Moran starting tonight instead of Darragh O'Brien and Conor Lawlor

Sean Gannon named in the subs.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 25/02/2017 17:47:11    1960549

Link

Not one mention of the two Div.4 teams (Carlow v Limerick) on the Saturday live match tracker during the first half. ????

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 25/02/2017 19:43:39    1960590

Link

At half time it was said, an exciting tussle is taking place in Dr. Cullen Park
But after that not a mention of a score even in the second half, I wouldn't mind but there was only 3 other games played.

Not even a positive comment about the carlow win.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2018 - 25/02/2017 20:49:04    1960632

Link

That wasn't pretty but they dogged it out. Not a game for purists but don't think we care a whole lot. Surprised to be honest I thought after London things would have gone very flat. Fair play to management and team.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 185 - 25/02/2017 22:20:50    1960704

Link

Having criticised the abysmal performance of the footballers v. London, I am delighted with the win this evening v. Limerick. Unfortunately I didn't see the game because of an influx of visitors who had to be entertained! Let's hope the London game was just an abberation and we can look forward to the Westmeath and the Limerick being repeated in future games

Congrats to the Minors who had a significant victory over Tipperary. That is the kind of victory that gives hope for the future.

No1realist (Carlow) - Posts: 125 - 26/02/2017 00:06:02    1960738

Link

Delighted to win but very hardto watch.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 26/02/2017 01:44:48    1960760

Link