Carlow Forum

Where do we go from here.?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So from today its official, our promotion hopes are gone, dead and buried, and this thing of mathematical miacles are out the window. If you care to go back and read any of my posts from 13/03/12 'till now you will see I was almost spot on and in particular with todays score which is going to cause a few problems for us like, 1. Our promotion hopes are gone. 2.Nothing left to fight for. 3. We are going to go into our game with Wicklow on a low, ie no incentive and not fired up. 4. We will go into the game with an unsettled team. 5. Between now and Sunday none of the players will know what the team will be so how can they psyche them selves up.
However, all that said I am inclined to agree with most if not all of Wonder Boys post.
The possibilities for Sunday is, 1. We will be hammered. 2. We will experience another "Glorious" defeat, or because its Wicklow we are playing, that in itself may be just enough to make us stand and deliver, do the impossible and come away with a win, even allowing for the fact that we are playing at home in DCP.
I believe it's now up to the players themselves to take the game by the scruff of the neck, throw caution to the wind, prove a point to us critics in doing what you have to do to get that win.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1987 - 19/03/2012 11:10:06    1132051

Link

and also told us carlow and leitrim would be promoted

longrun (Carlow) - Posts: 99 - 19/03/2012 13:15:00    1132177

Link

Great stuff from the hurlers. Really showing up well this year and the results speak for themselves.

I think they will win the league now and probably hand it to Laois in the championship.

As for the football, there is clearly something wrong. They have not pushed on from last year, at all. I find this surprising because, on paper, this is the best panel they've had in recent years.

Given the objective was to qualify from division 4 this year (anyone recall the 5 year plan?) I see nothing wrong with changing the management right now. The best candidate would be mick Dempsey. But he probably cannot take it - so why not give it to Joe Murphy until the end of the season and take it from there?

It's inevitable that Luke is going to get the chop this year so let's not repeat 2008 and do it now rather than at the end of April.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 19/03/2012 13:45:41    1132195

Link

The two matches that we won were won away from home, the two that we should have won but lost, were lost at home in Dr. Cullen Park, we are going to play a Wicklow team that's bursting with confidence and still in with a reasonable chance of promotion, our promotion hopes are gone, yet we're expected to go out and beat them next Sunday, we lost two games that we were expected to win at home in DCP, how then can we win this one that we're expected to loose in DCP. We didn't get a favourable result yesterday and the fall out from that hasn't hit us yet, but I suspect , if we get a bad result next Sunday who knows what will happen, but then if we do manage to beat Wicklow, ah here we go again ------

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1987 - 19/03/2012 14:42:58    1132252

Link

We should be preparing our selves for the worst and have a chat with John Evans and Joe Murphy, together.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1987 - 19/03/2012 14:49:19    1132261

Link

good man supersub you have a great knowledge of the game your predictions are something else

longrun (Carlow) - Posts: 99 - 19/03/2012 14:53:58    1132264

Link

Longrun, is a person not allowed change their opinion after watching matches?

I don't know when Supersub said that ourselves and Leitrim would be promoted, but at the start of the year it would have been fair to say we all saw this as being the best chance we've had of promotion in a long time.

The Louth result last year and a very kind fixture list should have been the base for a big shove. Instead we got a massive flop.

St.John (Carlow) - Posts: 202 - 19/03/2012 15:09:23    1132282

Link

Match aginst Wicklow next weekend is a four pointer. The loser consigned to another year in D4

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2760 - 19/03/2012 15:22:58    1132300

Link

good man jack great piece of info,

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 412 - 19/03/2012 16:39:18    1132386

Link

hayden foley brian murphy

smyth st ledger mullins

They are the 6 forwards i posted before the kilkenny game That line up certainly would have given us the required scores vs kilkenny to put us in a position to challenge for the 2nd promotion spot. as someone else pointed out only 2 of those lined out in the forwards - mullins and smyth and scored 2-6 between them.

Also I notice 'longrun' has been very active of late defending luke dempsey even though he only has 19 posts most have been in last few days. Maybe his real name starts with 'D' and has seven letters in it.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 248 - 19/03/2012 18:27:03    1132474

Link

it would be very hard to see us beating wicklow now id imagine morale is at an all time low, the score against kilkenny would seem to confirm that, but it didn't really matter as clare would have us in the head to head anyway, our only path to redemption is win our remaining games and hope limerick beat fermanagh, i was at the waterford fermanagh game, waterford left it behind them so that puts them out of the equation, we have a couple of months to prepare for the championship we should start this by removing the current management now

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1270 - 19/03/2012 21:28:48    1132725

Link

barrowsider i agree with you get in a fresh management team. maybe a team that know what there doing

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 150 - 20/03/2012 12:52:55    1133011

Link

I'm a very passionat Carlow man and for that reason alone I refuse to throw in the towel before a ball is kicked in our game with Wicklow on Sunday, only two things can change between now and Sunday one is our attitude towards the game and the other is the weather, nothing else will change, the weather dosent bother me but our attitude does. The game on Sunday is the biggest test of character we will face this year,fact, not if we were to get to a Leinster senior football final this year would it demand a more test of character, what I'm saying is the game on Sunday is of more importance that the leinster senior football championship, for all the obvious reasons, think about it. After the game however things will change that's for sure, the first thing that will change is our confidence, it will either improve or disimprove, the other thing that will change is our attitude, we will become more positive, or more negative, all this of course depends on the result, the final score.
Where we go from here is up to ourselves, no one else.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1987 - 20/03/2012 13:05:52    1133025

Link

@supersub, it's pretty much out of our hands at this stage, while wicklow have their faith in their own hands, maybe with the pressure off we will produce a win but looking at the stats from the division so far the odds are firmly against us, wicklow conceded 4 goals against waterford and in the two games since have conceded none, we conceded 2 sloppy goals against leitrim and did the same against clare, the difference would seem to be that they have learned from mistakes we haven't

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1270 - 20/03/2012 13:23:13    1133048

Link

I understand your point Barrowsider,but my interest and concern is for one game only ie Carlow V Wicklow, I'm not interested in promotion from now on, just this one game to restore a bit of pride in Carlow football, and to show we are capable of raising our game when our backs are to the wall, from there on what ever happens, happens for the good of all.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1987 - 20/03/2012 14:15:46    1133123

Link

Barrowsider i dont think its head to head but points diff. first. Not 100% on that . But on the general point bout dempsey making excuses well he was always a master at that. Look, anyone at leitrim and Clare games knows that neither team are world beaters, they are very middling in fact but they do have something that Carlow sadly lack and thats heart and passion and pride in the jersey. This is what I blame Dempsey for more than anything else i. e. not being able to instill that passion and pride into 20-25 young men. He can bluster all he wants to local media,it wont change the fact that he is not up to it and the sooner he goes the better for carlow football.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/03/2012 17:23:29    1133340

Link

Luke Dempsey should be careful when he talks about the Carlow public in such terms - as far as i can see he has very little support from the public as it stands and its only the short sighted County Board thats keeping him in his job! We know we are not in the same league as the Dubs or Kerry etc and we also know what our limitations are at the moment but dont insult us be saying that Clare are suddenly great footballers and he is the only one that see that! Pennypincher is right - he is a master of deflection especially when it comes to his own inabilities.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 20/03/2012 17:43:40    1133362

Link

Carlow football is in a very very dark place at the moment. We are NOT moving forwards, in fact we are going backwards if we are going in any direction. The management team is simply not good enough. However, in saying that Wayne Middleton and Anthony Rainbow are too very good trainers and for all the training that Carlow do they should be very fit and also competent enough to be competing in division 4. One huge problem with this current bunch of players in the squad is commitment. In what other county would you see at least 4 or 5 starting county players out 'on the lash' every single weekend. This weekend just gone by for example, fair enough we were playing Kilkenny, but I can nothing like what happened here in Carlow Saturday had gone on in Fermanagh or Limerick the night before both of the trounced Kilkenny. I know for a fact that at least 6 of the panel were out on the beer, but worse again I know that at least one of them played a soccer match on Saturday too. We all heard about the three brothers from the Kerry senior hurling team who were dropped for playing a soccer match, why isn't this player dropped like they were? I also know that there was a similar incident last year. Another big problem with this team is that unfortunately the players in reserve are the players who are holding back the performance of the team. Just take a look at some of our panel members, there's three or four there who are at least a stone overweight, and one or two who may be even more than a stone overweight, how can this be accepted at intercounty level, for me it's baffling. Bottom line, we are not moving forward we are going backwards. In fairness to the lads whose names I did not mention but who I did slate, one could say that in the current set up they could think to themselves 'what's the point in not going out when I know two or three others are going to go out on the beer' or in the case of the chap who played soccer he probably said to himself 'well didn't xuxux get away with it last year, so I probably will too'. We need a new management team ASAP and every slate should be wiped clean. There's too many good footballers out there who will not give the commitment to the county team because they know that the current set up is going nowhere. We need a fresh start where everyone will be given an equal chance of making the panel and no favoritism is present, there are too many good players here in Carlow for us to be finishing as a mid to low table division 4 side year in year out. Rant over.

hugefan (Carlow) - Posts: 12 - 20/03/2012 18:40:28    1133409

Link

the fact of the matter is that soccer is much bigger in the county than gaa in fact rugby has now passed out gaa we are probably the only county where this has happen buit in fairness too dempsey he has done wonders with what he has too work with

longrun (Carlow) - Posts: 99 - 20/03/2012 20:38:25    1133519

Link

Some sense of perspective is called for here lads. A lot of people are unhappy about selection decisions (or lack thereof) from the sideline etc. That's a question for another day, which a lot of us here obviously have very strong and differing views about. First things first however, Carlow play Wicklow on Sunday....

A Wicklow team which managed to get pulled apart by Waterford, a few short weeks ago who themselves were easily beaten by Clare. The same Clare who we somehow conspired to award 2 league points to one week beforehand. Nobody apart from maybe Luke Dempsey is of the view this Clare team are world beaters.

Wicklow travel to meet us on Sunday after beating Limerick in Aughrim last Sunday who, it should be noted were also beaten by 'Clare'.

Objectively what exactly was Limericks form going into that game? They scrapped past a very mediocre Leitrim team in the opening round and lost to 'Clare'. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they otherwise beat London and Kilkenny. The table toppers Fermanagh have realistically beaten nobody of note scrapping past most of the aforementioned counties in whats been a particularly poor division. All in all its a bit of a who's who really isnt it?

I have to say I'm absolutely astounded by the new found air of optimism on the Wicklow forum following their 'turn around win' on Sunday. If there was ever an envoy of glass half full men its there you'll find them. There's one thing we do owe Wicklow football on Sunday, and thats consignment to Div 4. It would do me nicely anyhow and I make no apologies for stating it.

Man for man we're more than capable of giving it to them (even allowing for the many credible arguments over selection). The way this division has gone we're over due a win, particular in Dr Cullen and where sweeter a place to start.

Ceatherlach abu a chaired

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 460 - 20/03/2012 20:39:17    1133521

Link