Carlow Forum

Carlow v Laois

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I know its only the O Byrne Shield but there is something special in the rivalry between the two counties. I reckon we will put it up to Laois.

tinhoops94 (Carlow) - Posts: 84 - 11/01/2012 14:50:11    1091871

Link

If you play like you did for 3/4s of the game against Dublin , You wont just put it up to them , You will beat them handsomely.

Good luck.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13497 - 12/01/2012 14:13:03    1092525

Link

Hard to judge the Dubs last sunday. They were under strength and not at full pace. I always felt they had a few more gears to go through if needed. Would love to take Laois scalp though.

tinhoops94 (Carlow) - Posts: 84 - 12/01/2012 15:27:58    1092589

Link

Few lads out injured for this one on Sunday i hear.Conor Lawlor,Darragh Foley and John Murphy all out as far as i know.Paul McElligott also out for month.As good and all as it would be to win this one Sunday,i suppose you would rather have them out injured now and hopefully have them all back for the start of the league,which ultimately,is our main aim

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1046 - 13/01/2012 19:47:58    1093339

Link

yeah lawlor got a knock in the u21 game on wednesday night, hope he is not out for too long he is developing into a good full back, laois look very experimental too so should make for a good game with lads trying to get a place for the league

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1243 - 13/01/2012 21:00:48    1093418

Link

I'm afraid I wont be at the game tomorrow as I'm out of bounds for a while, it would be great to get a win so early in the year, theres no reason why we cant,so good luck to all.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1946 - 14/01/2012 11:50:14    1093495

Link

worst carlow performance in years. 2 man advantage and we leave them sweeping at the back when we were loosing by 6 with 10mins left. brendan murphy is an incredibal footballer but unless he learns to pass the ball more he will be playing div4 football with carlow for many years to come, he is the best player we have but tries to do too much on his own. how some players were left on the pitch it was a miracle getting roasted big time. and to top it off the referee was with carlow

carlow4ever (Carlow) - Posts: 81 - 15/01/2012 16:41:17    1093870

Link

I wasn't at the game today, but my contacts tell me it was the worst ever performance by a Carlow senior football team, he goes further and says that it was an inexperienced and experimental Laois team but they played with guts and determination where as we didn't play at all, and any hope we got from the Dublin game is all but dead and buried as the will isn't there to go any further full stop. They both went on to say we as a county don't have the Will or the passion to progress, or may be its protest football they played to day, like I say I wasn't at the game so I don't know.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1946 - 15/01/2012 18:51:04    1093998

Link

Supersub - don't know if it was the worst ever performance - i have been at a few over the years that were worse to be honest but its up there in top 10 anyways. It was a small bit embarrassing to see us struggling against 13 men. I don't know what' protest football' means? Its hard to blame the lads on the field as some of them just aren't intercounty standard and could well be in for a few beatings in Div 4. Peter Canavan has revitalized Fermanagh and went out of his way by all accounts to make sure he had all the counties best players in especially after what happened to them last year. Wicklow, limerick, waterford and even clare and Leitrim are going to be a handful. I don't understand why people are going on about Dublin last week - they were also an experimental team who barely got into 2nd gear. I hope Luke doesn't attempt to make excuses about injuries and unavailable players!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 15/01/2012 19:05:17    1094018

Link

Carlow were poor today and any momentum they had from Dub game is gone too slow to release the ball and basic mistakes... okay it is january but laois showed how to move ball at pace and convert to scores... very clinical even down to 13 men in second half. carlow were down to 14 for the last 10mins...laois backs played very well in second half when carlow were on the up.. all in all work to do , the making of a decent team, murphy and gannon showed some great fielding but carlow seem to labour to find the right pass throughout the game.. ledger some great frees and hayden in patches and ... , laois are div1 zand it showed today

petro (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 15/01/2012 19:12:18    1094025

Link

Poor performance today no question but its only the second week in January and we have played two Division 1 teams in a week. We won't play anything as good as either this year until we play Meath in June. We have four weeks now to the most important game of the year for us v. Leitrim. Win it and we are set up for a good crack at the league as we can build momentum with the fixtures we have to start off, we could/should be 8/8 after 4 games. Lose to Leitrim and the wheels could well come off the wagon. Hopefullly we can get a big crowd out for that Leitrim game and a big performance.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 15/01/2012 19:56:55    1094060

Link

I noticed the name Darren Maher on the Laois subs list on program for todays match - It gave his club as Tinryland - is he playing with Tinryland or is it somewhere else - i haven't heard the name?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 15/01/2012 20:16:33    1094082

Link

Mistake,think Darren Maher is Stradbaly.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1046 - 15/01/2012 20:32:08    1094109

Link

I feel that losing to-day wasn't so bad but the way we lost is what was awful. We had two spare men for a lot of the second half and had we players out on the wing to open up play? not on your nanny -like a flock of sheep in a huddle in the centre with short passing to a colleague who was surrounded.. At juvenile level, if this kind of play went on, I can assure you it would be stopped rapidly. Which brings me to the real question - if Luke Dempsey had the Dublin players, would he win the first round? The bunching of players to-day was a shambles, failing to get back or go forward as the situation demanded and the failure to kick the ball without twisting and turning made me sick. Either he is promoting this system or he is unaware of it, so in either case he carries the can for a team performance that hasn't shape nor make.

No1realist (Carlow) - Posts: 125 - 15/01/2012 20:36:22    1094118

Link

Carlow team v Laois

Andrew O'Brien (miseal)
Benny Kavanagh (eire og)
Barry Lambe (Bagnelstown)
Padraig Murphy (Tullow)
Gary Nolan (Fighting cocks)
Tony Bolger (Rathvilly)
David Mulvaney (Clonmore)
Brendan Murphy (Rathvilly)
Sean Gannon (eire og)
Cormac Walsh (tinryland)
Brian Murphy (Rathvilly)
Ed Finnegan (Rathvilly)
Daniel st Ledger (Kildavin)
Cormac Mullin (eire og)
Derek Hayden (eire og)

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 15/01/2012 21:09:04    1094157

Link

The amount of big name players Laois were missing today , followed by 2 sending offs to say we are glad of the win is an understatement!! It wasnt Championship football so Laois wont get carried away , neither should Carlow beat themselves up about it.Carlow have some very good footballers , but lets be serious lads there have been players either never playing championship with their clubs or chaps who are far from automatic on their club sides getting on Carlow panels , thats madness in my opinion.Lets call a spade a spade here , Laois dont think their brilliant because we know we are from it but the majority know what level we are at , i think a fair few Carlow people need to realise they havent got a team filled with inter county class players and the club championship doesnt help the standard either!

Best of the luck with the League and the Championship

WonderBoy (Laois) - Posts: 217 - 15/01/2012 21:10:51    1094160

Link

I wouldnt go as far as 2 say it was the worst Carlow performance ever because unfortunately ive witnessed worse,but let me say this much,I was utterly dissapointed and embaressed by what I saw today.Regardless of whether its only January or not its still no excuse for the pathetic display that unfolded before our eyes.For me 2011 is now a distant memory,any progress we made is gone and be under no illusion, we are in serious trouble for the rest of the year if todays problems are not sorted out immediately.Firstly management are back to square one,unable to pick players in right position and when its not working not alone are they not able to change it quick BUT cant see the need to change it at all.Full forward line players our only serious hope of scoring and der left in same positions all match,esp Cormac at full forward whats that all about.we couldnt kick a score if life depended on it,panicked when they got the ball time after time and either sent it a mile wide or a garryowen straight into laois hands.To put it simply we cannot think what to do with the ball under pressure and havnt a clue how to deliver a ball to a better placed colleague let alone to think to look for a better place colleague before kicking it.One thing is patently obvious and it pains me to say it, but Tom Walsh is a big loss.We have no leader in the forwards capable of stringing it all together between the 6, and actually no leader on the pitch capable of gizzin up the lads when we are under the kosh.I understand there are a few new players and some are not up to standard and others just need time to bed in,but for the love of god where was all this team unity that was built up esp as we have been back in earlier this year training??? The more experienced guys were inclined to think that they were going to do everything themselves and wouldnt pass the ball,and this is one of the greatest problems we cant seem to get rid of,instead of delivering ball quick its hold onto it for as long as possible.Now Luke can harp on about how great it was to play Dublin and how much they learnt,but for me talk is cheap. I didnt see one thing the players learnt that showed today,quite the opposite in fact.Yes Laois showed their Div 1 experience and knew what to do,we on the other hand were like startled bunnies caught in the glaring lights. We now have 4 weeks to prepare for the start of the league,I just hope to god every one puts their heads down now and puts in a lot of hard work because its seriously needed if we are to have any hope of getting promotion this year.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 15/01/2012 21:49:09    1094192

Link

Wonderboy I think you slightly misguided there on a few things.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 15/01/2012 21:53:00    1094197

Link

Sorry THE BOSS you couldnt be more wrong and as much as your bias against Laios ppl's blinds your opinion, Wonder Boy is spot on!!

Kilbill (Carlow) - Posts: 43 - 16/01/2012 09:32:51    1094236

Link

If thats the team that played well then why is anyone remotely surspised that we lost. That wouldnt make a god junior team. The half back line is a joke. I would only pick six (lambe, 2 murphys, gannon, ledger and hayden) to start on a league team if we are to have any hope of promotion , which I doubt by the way.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 16/01/2012 10:20:45    1094262

Link