Carlow Forum

Club Hurling Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

now that the senior championship group games have come to a close what way are teams shaping up? What happened with Naomh Eoin this year? any stand out players from any of the 4 teams?
By the look of the IHC Baganalstown Gaels look the strongest in it by the scores they are tallying up and it would be great to see them back in the SHC. Any updates from the IHC B or the Junior or how will they shape up?

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 09/09/2019 07:44:05    2233719

Link

Replying To LetItIn6:  "now that the senior championship group games have come to a close what way are teams shaping up? What happened with Naomh Eoin this year? any stand out players from any of the 4 teams?
By the look of the IHC Baganalstown Gaels look the strongest in it by the scores they are tallying up and it would be great to see them back in the SHC. Any updates from the IHC B or the Junior or how will they shape up?"
The senior is very open with no teams really impressing so far. MLR have qualified for the final and will play winners St Mullins/Ballinkillen . St Mullins will be fancied. to get through that

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 16/09/2019 09:07:21    2235928

Link

How will the Senior semi go sunday folks? St mullins gave Ballinkillen a trimming in the group game but Ballinkillen seemed to have got it together in the games against Myshall and MLR. Can anyone foresee Ballinkillen winning?

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 26/09/2019 08:22:00    2239276

Link

The game is off today. Brave decision by Ballinkillen to stand their ground over the situation.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1820 - 29/09/2019 09:50:47    2239962

Link

I see from the Ballinkillen statement that alternative dates were proposed. I'm curious as to what these proposals were and if they were also agreeable to Kildavin Clonegal, Myshall, Fenagh and St Mullins who are the other affected clubs.
A midweek re-fixing of the KC vs Myshall IFC SF seemed like the most logical solution but I'm not sure if this was ever suggested.

Milltown (Carlow) - Posts: 21 - 01/10/2019 09:26:29    2240527

Link

Are Ballinkillen gone now,does anyone know?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 01/10/2019 10:55:57    2240557

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Are Ballinkillen gone now,does anyone know?"
Yes as things stand but it seems they are appealing the decision to the Leinster Council.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1820 - 01/10/2019 11:50:26    2240582

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "Yes as things stand but it seems they are appealing the decision to the Leinster Council."
Given how small Carlow's hurling community is, it would reflect well on both St Mullins & MLR if they refused to play any more games until Ballinkillen are reinstated.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 317 - 01/10/2019 12:14:33    2240591

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Given how small Carlow's hurling community is, it would reflect well on both St Mullins & MLR if they refused to play any more games until Ballinkillen are reinstated."
Hear hear.its a disgusting decision from a co.board completely out of touch. They can't even sort out a website for God's sake.lets hope Mullins and rangers do the honourable thing here.it will have serious repercussions for Carlow hurling if this isint sorted.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 01/10/2019 12:58:13    2240608

Link

Replying To Milltown:  "I see from the Ballinkillen statement that alternative dates were proposed. I'm curious as to what these proposals were and if they were also agreeable to Kildavin Clonegal, Myshall, Fenagh and St Mullins who are the other affected clubs.
A midweek re-fixing of the KC vs Myshall IFC SF seemed like the most logical solution but I'm not sure if this was ever suggested."
Yes that's a good question. It would be nice if that was cleared up.
Their statement also says they haven't been in semi final for several years...….they were in it last year by the way.

KC/ Myshall should of been played mid week definitely

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 01/10/2019 15:05:54    2240663

Link

County Board made it difficult for themselves with having the Kildavin Myshall football match rescheduled for ths day before semi of hurling.
Looks like Balinkillen will.stand their ground and hard to blame them.
I think they have the support of the vast majority of hurling supporters in the county.
A hornets nest stirred up by that football fixture has been further complicated by it ending level !
Hope the Co Board back down, accede to Balinkillen request and get out of the mess they started.
Hurling under enough pressure without having to deal with football fixtures interfering as well.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 01/10/2019 15:47:17    2240684

Link

Why are the club championships not already completed by now?

Carlow Hurlers and footballers finished intercounty action on weekend of June 9th. There is no excuse for not having enough time to have championships completed by now without having to resort to any midweek games

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 202 - 01/10/2019 17:26:49    2240713

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Given how small Carlow's hurling community is, it would reflect well on both St Mullins & MLR if they refused to play any more games until Ballinkillen are reinstated."
Would totally agree... it defies logic to be playing out the semi/finals in both codes when atrocious weather is guaranteed with all those long evenings in July and August. There needs to be a kickback to resist this boll**oligy.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 152 - 01/10/2019 19:06:50    2240732

Link

4 teams in the shc and here we are in October still not finished and one of the 4 teams booted out. Limericks made it to the all Ireland semis and their final is this weekend. There is something majorly wrong if we can't run off our competitions a little bit better than this. I don't think any player should have to play two championship games with 18hrs of each other, and it's worth noting that player welfare is used as a reason why clubs can't fix under 15s to 17s games on weekends as they are with the county.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 01/10/2019 22:05:19    2240783

Link

Anyone know when BK appeal is due to be held?isint chairman of L council from Carlow!surely he can't adjudicate on this!

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 01/10/2019 23:10:49    2240809

Link

What's the format of the Carlow club hurling Championships?

I know in total there are 6 rounds of football championship, but I'm not sure of football format.

In Wexford, there are 8 rounds of both hurling and football. So 16 championship weekends. Nearly all clubs are dual. Wexford finished in the All Ireland championship on July 28th, a full 7 weeks later than Carlow, yet as it currently stands Wexford is at the final stage of the football championship and all but for a game being cancelled due to a bereavement we would be at the semi final stages of the hurling.

My point is that Carlow have less rounds in both their hurling and football championships than Wexford, and have had 7 weeks EXTRA in which championship could be played, yet you're championships are only at the same stage as Wexford? And teams are being expected to cram in games now, when nearly the whole months of June and July, a 6/7 weeks period passed when none of your championships were fixed. Do people in Carlow GAA circles not see how seriously unacceptable this is?

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 202 - 01/10/2019 23:48:39    2240818

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "4 teams in the shc and here we are in October still not finished and one of the 4 teams booted out. Limericks made it to the all Ireland semis and their final is this weekend. There is something majorly wrong if we can't run off our competitions a little bit better than this. I don't think any player should have to play two championship games with 18hrs of each other, and it's worth noting that player welfare is used as a reason why clubs can't fix under 15s to 17s games on weekends as they are with the county."
Its a disgrace that the hurling championships are dragged out that long in carlow. Ask any player and i would almost guarantee every answer would be that they would want to hurl during the summer months and not have to wait months for a dragged out championship played in poor weather and bad ground. Fair play to Balinkillen for standing there ground, about time someone stood up to the county board. As a previous poster said they cant even get the website right.

Also its not just Ballinkillen who were hard done by, Ballinabrannas relegation final with MLR was fixed the same night that Naomh Brid were out in the championship. County board are rotten but hopefully this series of events will incute some change.

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 02/10/2019 08:29:17    2240843

Link

Yes, the championships should have been run off earlier especially in the few weeks after Carlow got knocked out of the championship but I think we are more affected than other counties when it comes to balancing hurling/football at this time of year.

Because we have such few clubs, there's more of an overlap of players at the knockout stages of competitions. For example:

Naomh Eoin are involved in IHC semi final and IFC quarter final, semi final and a replay. They also have a few with Kilbride.
Bagenalstown involved in IHC final and SFC quarter final and semi final.
Ballinkillen involved in SHC semi final and have players involved with Kildavin in IFC semi final and replay and with Fenagh in JFC semi final and final.
MLR involved in SHC final and a SFC relegation final
Naomh Brid playing Intermediate B hurling have players with Ballinabranna and Old Leighlin who had relegation/knockout games.

Hopefully it all works out in the end but if the senior hurling semi final is refixed, the fixtures will be a nightmare.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1820 - 03/10/2019 17:15:56    2241192

Link

Anyone any update here? SHC final down for Sunday week, IHC final supposed to be on same weekend. IHC b final still to be played too.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1091 - 03/10/2019 20:17:29    2241222

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Anyone any update here? SHC final down for Sunday week, IHC final supposed to be on same weekend. IHC b final still to be played too."
I heard they have agreed to play the semi next saturday probably depending on how fenagh vs tullow goes tomorrow.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1283 - 04/10/2019 10:48:26    2241299

Link