Carlow Forum

Greatest Championship Team of the last 50 Years

(Oldest Posts First)

I missed the Indo's supplement yesterday which gave the greatest championship teams in each code from the last 50 years for all counties

can someone post the two Carlow teams, if they have em?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 15/05/2012 10:14:48    1172445

Link

here ya go

football
j kearns
l molloy
b canavan
t cullen
w quinlan
p brophy
c hughes
g ware
t dwyer
j nevin
p quirke
b hayden snr
a keating
n doogue
b murphy

hurling
m keogh
n kavanagh
t english
e coady
j o'hara
s kavanagh
j nevin
p quirke
c hughes
l walsh
m morrissey
b hayden jnr
e quirke
d murphy
m murphy

i don't think they did much research in picking the teams

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 15/05/2012 13:33:11    1172656

Link

evidently not. brendan murphy corner forward. he has played 4 games in the championship, all at midfield. that's indicative of the laziness involved in making that selection

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 15/05/2012 14:41:20    1172744

Link

Sure isn't that what the GAA and related issues is all about, - - - Controversy.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 15/05/2012 15:16:51    1172766

Link

football
j kearns Murt Hayden for me,
l molloy
b canavan
t cullen
w quinlan Somewhere in the forwards - can only remember him playing wing back once. Would have Kevin Madden in here.
p brophy
c hughes
g ware Never did enough for me. Would have B. Murphy, Tiger Kearns, Joe Walshe or Red Mick Nolan ahead of him.
t dwyer
j nevin
p quirke
b hayden snr
a keating Should be in the left corner
n doogue
b murphy Ridiculous positioning, would have Willie in the right corner

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 15/05/2012 21:50:04    1173132

Link

These teams are always a bit if fun.... especially as the GAA championships are just starting. I would agree with many on the team, but I wuld have Linus Kearns in for Tommy Dwyer and brendan Murphy for Ware. Ware played well for Eire Og and Tom Dwyer had a great boot but neiher player u to the consistent standard of the Rathvilly men.

Madden was a class act too and while Willie Quinlan was always a busy player who got better with age, I dont think he would be as god as what Maden was. Martin Hayden RIP was probably the goalkeeper all round. After that it is hard to argue with the team.

Pat Coady would definitely have his admirers for the hurling team and I think he should have been included. Brendan Hayden while an excellent player did not play to the same extent as Pat and Pat with his excellent free taking I thought would see him in that spot.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 20/05/2012 16:33:13    1176318

Link

Madden and Lar Molloy were huge losses to Carlow at a time when we could genuinely hope to make a Leinster final. The 85 team with the two of them, Dywer, Quirke, Smokey Joe, Willie Doyle, Tiger, Murt (RIP), Joe Walshe to name a few left it behind them in DCP v Leix. Slaughtered Westmeath in round one and should have been in the Leinster final at least. Ironically the Leix team that beat us and did make the final had a string of Carlowmen playing for them (Willie Brennan, Christy Maguire, Pascal Doran, Curly Prendergast) but maybe I should leave that alone for now!

As for Dywer, if you kicked it to him he would catch it and was a fierce threat driving forward with a ferocious shot on him. Distribution was a bit wayward alright but with midfield being so important them days I always felt we had a chance with him against anyone.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 20/05/2012 20:41:13    1176619

Link

Hurling
1.Mattie Kehoe, 2.Jimmy Dermody, 3.Shane Kavanagh 4.John O Hara, 5.Edward Coady, 6.Johnny Nevin, 7.Pat Mcnally 8.Cyril Hughes, 9.Declan Kavanagh, 10.Pat Coady, 11.Paddy Quirke, 12.Mark Mullins, 13.John Mcdonald 14.Des Murphy 15. Terry Byrne

Dirtyowlgearbag (Carlow) - Posts: 86 - 21/05/2012 12:46:46    1177044

Link