Carlow Forum

Intermediate Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

The Intermediate Chamionship is getting near the business end. Can The Blues get back to the top table . I fancy them big time. Eire Og were blessed to beat them last weekend. I reckon the Blues will see them off in the semi or final. Any thoughts??

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 163 - 09/08/2018 19:44:10    2131323

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "The Intermediate Chamionship is getting near the business end. Can The Blues get back to the top table . I fancy them big time. Eire Og were blessed to beat them last weekend. I reckon the Blues will see them off in the semi or final. Any thoughts??"
Ballinabranna will be hard beat going by the first two rounds, but on paper the Blues look the strongest. A lot depends on the commitment of the Blues and their commitment to the soccer season which starts soon. I don't think Eire Og are strong enough to win an Internediate but they are in a great position

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 09/08/2018 23:41:35    2131402

Link

I would say ballinabranna are probably best placed to win it, earlier on it looked like the blues would do it but they seem to be falling away. To be honest whoever wins it will go straight back down anyway.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1147 - 11/08/2018 12:59:36    2131723

Link

Yea Ballinabranna going well. Blues probably favourites. If Eire Og keep Chris Blake from senior they will take some stopping. He was on fire against the Blues last weekend. I reckon the Blues can win it though.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 163 - 11/08/2018 15:42:04    2131776

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Yea Ballinabranna going well. Blues probably favourites. If Eire Og keep Chris Blake from senior they will take some stopping. He was on fire against the Blues last weekend. I reckon the Blues can win it though."
blues have no panel, how is mark carpenter still togging for the blues? the most overated player in recent history on the local scene, if blues manage to win it they will go straight back down

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 11/08/2018 20:45:44    2131931

Link

Replying To arsebiscuits:  "blues have no panel, how is mark carpenter still togging for the blues? the most overated player in recent history on the local scene, if blues manage to win it they will go straight back down"
Marc Carpenter won a Leinster club SFC (albeit he missed the final), four Carlow SFC's, not to mention a couple of under 21's. He served the county for 11 or 12 years, through thick and thin. And also played for Leinster for a few years in the inter-pros. Plus, Carpenter scored one of the best points I ever saw in DCP: 2007 to beat Offaly in the championship. Under pressure from close to the sideline, near the 45.

And you think he's overrated?

As for why he's still playing for the Blues first team?Well older 'stars' have always clung on at club level. Brian Kelly at Palatine, Willie Quinlan at Eire Og, Johnny Nevin at Old Laughlin to name a few recent examples. And let's be honest, the O'Hanrahan's "production line" isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. AFAIK, they couldn't field an under 21 team and didn't even enter the minor? But that's another story, partially the clubs fault and also somewhat down to losing the battle locally with soccer.

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 6 - 12/08/2018 14:03:12    2132221

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Marc Carpenter won a Leinster club SFC (albeit he missed the final), four Carlow SFC's, not to mention a couple of under 21's. He served the county for 11 or 12 years, through thick and thin. And also played for Leinster for a few years in the inter-pros. Plus, Carpenter scored one of the best points I ever saw in DCP: 2007 to beat Offaly in the championship. Under pressure from close to the sideline, near the 45.

As for why he's still playing for the Blues first team?Well older 'stars' have always clung on at club level. Brian Kelly at Palatine, Willie Quinlan at Eire Og, Johnny Nevin at Old Laughlin to name a few recent examples. And let's be honest, the O'Hanrahan's "production line" isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. AFAIK, they couldn't field an under 21 team and didn't even enter the minor? But that's another story, partially the clubs fault and also somewhat down to losing the battle locally with soccer."
I dont think soccer has had much impact on the juvenile side of things that's more a senior problem, they probably could have fielded at 17s this year but with two division 1s it was going to mean playing 14/15 year olds way out of their depths, I think if clubs like o'hanrahans want to keep their young players they will have to look to join up with another club at juvenile so as to make sure they can field right the way up to senior. Eire og and pal have great underage structures and loads of people helping out with coaching etc, even if o'hanrahans were to get a massive influx of young players it wouldn't be able to cope as they only have a handful of coaches to cover all ages.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1147 - 12/08/2018 15:33:52    2132242

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I dont think soccer has had much impact on the juvenile side of things that's more a senior problem, they probably could have fielded at 17s this year but with two division 1s it was going to mean playing 14/15 year olds way out of their depths, I think if clubs like o'hanrahans want to keep their young players they will have to look to join up with another club at juvenile so as to make sure they can field right the way up to senior. Eire og and pal have great underage structures and loads of people helping out with coaching etc, even if o'hanrahans were to get a massive influx of young players it wouldn't be able to cope as they only have a handful of coaches to cover all ages."
Who would O'Hanrahan's join up with? From a geographical POV?

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 6 - 12/08/2018 18:02:24    2132337

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Who would O'Hanrahan's join up with? From a geographical POV?"
I was actually making a general point it doesn't have to be o'hanrahans specific, there are loads of small clubs In the county who could be better joining up for underage, this was discussed at the county forum a few years ago but I don't think clubs have an appetite for it, but it works well elswhere kileshin/crettyyard in laois would be just one off the top of My head.
Anyway this is the intermediate football thread we should keep it to that, sorry for the hijacking , if Eire og were to win this Intermediate would that mean no demotion from senior this year?

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1147 - 12/08/2018 20:38:57    2132412

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Marc Carpenter won a Leinster club SFC (albeit he missed the final), four Carlow SFC's, not to mention a couple of under 21's. He served the county for 11 or 12 years, through thick and thin. And also played for Leinster for a few years in the inter-pros. Plus, Carpenter scored one of the best points I ever saw in DCP: 2007 to beat Offaly in the championship. Under pressure from close to the sideline, near the 45.

As for why he's still playing for the Blues first team?Well older 'stars' have always clung on at club level. Brian Kelly at Palatine, Willie Quinlan at Eire Og, Johnny Nevin at Old Laughlin to name a few recent examples. And let's be honest, the O'Hanrahan's "production line" isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. AFAIK, they couldn't field an under 21 team and didn't even enter the minor? But that's another story, partially the clubs fault and also somewhat down to losing the battle locally with soccer."
2005!

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1012 - 13/08/2018 21:38:53    2132955

Link

Replying To fergie:  "2005!"
Yeah, I know. Typo. Sorry. It was 2005 (Liam Hayes-era). A time when the jersey colours were almost changed, and Braveheart and positive thinking were in vogue. And we finished ahead of Roscommon in the league - just behind Monaghan!

Then, as was always the case in those days, the wheel fell off the bike the following year.

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 6 - 14/08/2018 09:23:46    2133049

Link