Carlow Forum

CARLOW VS LAOIS

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think the carlow players and management will be very disapointed with the performance. we never got goining, but had goal chances in first half (jordan morrisey was brought down which looked a penelty to me) and we kicked some bad wides. we won no ball in midfeild either. overall the whole thing just passed us by. But hopefully a decent draw tomorrow and see what happens, i feel like carlow will have a point to prove after that game. sean gannon went off at half time was thar threw injury?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 10/06/2018 20:25:39    2109552

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Can we be drawn against Kildare tomorrow morning, if we can we will. I have a gut feeling."
It is an open draw
Mayo in [email protected]@@

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 10/06/2018 20:55:19    2109566

Link

Hope I didn't come across too negative, I love this county, anyway we push on now

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 10/06/2018 21:46:26    2109593

Link

Not a good result today. No ball won in key area of midfield as were forced to kick long often. Apart from Morrissey and Moran going forward little real threat to Laois.
System needs to change of we are to WIN games.

Even when we were down and little time left we still played the same set up... we have won 2 championship games which is great but... a game we should have been closer today. May not get as good a chance again for a while to get to a final. Might sound harsh but...

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 10/06/2018 21:58:25    2109598

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Can we be drawn against Kildare tomorrow morning, if we can we will. I have a gut feeling."
yeah you are in bowl 2 tomorrow morning. Hoping Kildare get ye also :)

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 10/06/2018 22:00:22    2109601

Link

Leix were better and deserved their win.

But .... those goal chances. I'm even more frustrated now after seeing the Sunday Game than I was at the match. They didn't show the Jordan Morrissey one (I thought when seeing it live it was outside the box and therefore a free rather than penalty) but the Diarmuid Walshe and Shane Redmond chances were agonising. If either were scored the lift would would've been huge and who knows.

Sean Gannon was a huge loss. It must have been an injury as he's vital to our game as he gives us a great outlet and moves the ball well up the field with his pace and mazy runs. A good target for kick outs as well and we struggled badly without him. Draws a lot of frees also. Missed him a lot in the second half I thought.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 10/06/2018 22:27:10    2109621

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "It is an open draw
Mayo in [email protected]@@"
No open draw Blackbog, just listened in teams drawn from two bowls, bowl A and bowl B
Carlow drew Tyrone.
Kildare drew Longford.
What a difference one game makes, ah well.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 11/06/2018 08:50:17    2109718

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Leix were better and deserved their win.

But .... those goal chances. I'm even more frustrated now after seeing the Sunday Game than I was at the match. They didn't show the Jordan Morrissey one (I thought when seeing it live it was outside the box and therefore a free rather than penalty) but the Diarmuid Walshe and Shane Redmond chances were agonising. If either were scored the lift would would've been huge and who knows.

Sean Gannon was a huge loss. It must have been an injury as he's vital to our game as he gives us a great outlet and moves the ball well up the field with his pace and mazy runs. A good target for kick outs as well and we struggled badly without him. Draws a lot of frees also. Missed him a lot in the second half I thought."
I also thought it was outside the square but remind me, exactly what was the black card introduced to football for?
Did this ref have a new rule book? Why was this not shown on the Sunday Game? Would it have been too much together with the Meath decisions?

Small margins. Against Kildare they went our way, yesterday we couldn't buy a break.

Get well wishes to Stephen Attride - nasty accident and a bad injury to a good player.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 144 - 11/06/2018 10:58:00    2109798

Link

A lot of people from ouside the county having a go at Carlow for style of play. 33 years since last promotion if that doesn't show people where Carlow have come from I don't know what will. I would love to see a win against Tyrone to silence a few. This is year 2 working with this game plan there's already been improvements in the attacking side this year so hopefully if same group of players and management are in place they can evolve game plan further next year. Rome wasn't built in a day

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 11/06/2018 11:38:33    2109849

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "A lot of people from ouside the county having a go at Carlow for style of play. 33 years since last promotion if that doesn't show people where Carlow have come from I don't know what will. I would love to see a win against Tyrone to silence a few. This is year 2 working with this game plan there's already been improvements in the attacking side this year so hopefully if same group of players and management are in place they can evolve game plan further next year. Rome wasn't built in a day"
Totally agree with that. The style of play works for this team, we just need to take our goal chances.

Perspective needed folks. If someone had said at the start of the year that we would get promotion and then beat Louth and Kildare without our best player, we would have grabbed it.

Players have worked so hard and deserve all the credit for this year. Next year we will develop more and this is only the start.

Carlow rising

carlovia (None) - Posts: 972 - 11/06/2018 13:14:36    2109924

Link

To hell with the critics. We know it's not too pretty at times but it works for us and nothing else has worked as well as this in decades.

Winning teams will always have them. The great Keery team that nearly won five were criticized for playing basketball they hand passed it around so much. Tyrone the same for puke football, then Donegal under McGuinness.

Only one thing worse than being talked about ... and we had that for long enough. Hopefully we'll continue to give them plenty to talk about this summer.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 11/06/2018 15:30:33    2110009

Link

Serious challenge with the draw pulling out Tyrone. A 5 pm start will be an attractive fixture and should be one of the biggest ever attendances for Netwatch Cullen Park ! Really looking forward to the match.
Having thought about yesterday's game I just think that more support needs to be given to our midfield pair. Not enough of our players are getting there for the breaks. If a team pushes up on our backs then we have to kick it long...I also think that more support is needed when we attack. We are inclined to just run at the opposition and we lost a lot of ball yesterday when running solo.
I believe the team us now ready to move on from the style that got US to yesterday but if we are to progress I think we will have to be more trusting and trust iur players more.
Teams like Laoos are in Div 3 and our system did not work in presenting us with a win. To me that is how I judge a system. Yeah we have done very well but to advance and build we need to adjust the system - we don't need to throw it out but adapt it for different plays.
I am very disappointed after yesterday but am trying to he realistic also. Laois knew exactly how we set up and were able to deal with our style easily
They fouled when they needed to, they drew us into fouling them too and were excellent at dealing with our runners in possession.
Great Carlow roar yesterday in Croke Park.. one to remember.i think we can replicate that atmosphere in Netwatch Cullen Park in a fortnight.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 11/06/2018 17:51:37    2110137

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Serious challenge with the draw pulling out Tyrone. A 5 pm start will be an attractive fixture and should be one of the biggest ever attendances for Netwatch Cullen Park ! Really looking forward to the match.
Having thought about yesterday's game I just think that more support needs to be given to our midfield pair. Not enough of our players are getting there for the breaks. If a team pushes up on our backs then we have to kick it long...I also think that more support is needed when we attack. We are inclined to just run at the opposition and we lost a lot of ball yesterday when running solo.
I believe the team us now ready to move on from the style that got US to yesterday but if we are to progress I think we will have to be more trusting and trust iur players more.
Teams like Laoos are in Div 3 and our system did not work in presenting us with a win. To me that is how I judge a system. Yeah we have done very well but to advance and build we need to adjust the system - we don't need to throw it out but adapt it for different plays.
I am very disappointed after yesterday but am trying to he realistic also. Laois knew exactly how we set up and were able to deal with our style easily
They fouled when they needed to, they drew us into fouling them too and were excellent at dealing with our runners in possession.
Great Carlow roar yesterday in Croke Park.. one to remember.i think we can replicate that atmosphere in Netwatch Cullen Park in a fortnight."
I would tend to agree with this, desperately disappointed about yesterday and a little shocked at how we set up, we won no long lockout either and that meant we had to go short to get possession off our own kicks, this made it a lot easier for laois as they targeted our runners, cynical maybe but effective, maybe a side of the game that Carlow still need to learn, I think we lacked the aggression in the tackle to something we were very effective at Vs Louth and Kildare, you would wonder is there some way we could have the defense that when we defend in numbers we try get runners out behind where the attacking team is keeping possession to force them in

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 12/06/2018 00:09:58    2110339

Link