National Forum

Spawell site for Dublin Gaa?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see a few of the papers are reporting this morning that the Dublin county board are again in negotiation for the purchase of the Spawell site, be a great start to the new year for us Dubs if we came out on the right side of this, it's actually disgraceful that we are the poor relations of the Gaa world, I'm full of envy when I see county powerhouses like Meath kildare and Tyrone etc with their centres of excellence, its about time we put this right!

DUBJOHN (Dublin) - Posts: 932 - 19/01/2017 06:58:43    1946848

Link

I don't disagree that the Dubs should have their own centre of excellence but the Gaa have a poor record in capital projects & love spending millions on big capital projects, many which are white elephants in debt. Yes the Dublin county board will be paying for most of Spawell, but look, Dublin play league matches between Croke Park & Parnell Park, two good grounds, why do they need a third stadium. Why spend millions on Spawell when Abbotstown is developed. Let's face it Abbotstown is open to all & was only built by the Gaa because all the other codes had bases there & the Gaa wanted to be up there with them. It is not going to be used on a regular basis by all other clubs due to travel time, costs, traffic. If a club from Connacht want to use Abbotstown it would take 3.5 hours each way & a fortune on buses/accomodation/ food, etc. Most Clubs in Connacht don't even use the Connacht centre of excellence for this reason let alone Abbotstown. The Dubs have been using the gym & kitted it out under Bryan Cullen. It only makes economic sense for the Dubs to use Abbotstown as their centre of excellence. The money that is going to be spent in Spawell, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Hyde Park & Casement Park is hundreds of millions all for the Inter County scene, at a time when clubs are in dire straits. What cost to maintain & staff, Parnell Park, Croke Park, Abbotstown & Spawell ? Imagine what those hundreds of millions would do if it was invested in children & games & proper coaching, that's where it should be spent. The Gaa has gone mad & is now splitting into two different Associations. Spawell is costing €9 Million to buy & will take €60 Million minimum to build, imagine investing €60 Million plus into Dublin communities especially disadvantaged communities. It is an obscenity to go this route when Abbotstown could be used by the Dubs. My suggestion is Abbotstown be leased to the Dubs as a centre of excellence & invest the €9 Million projected for Spawell into local disadvantaged communities promoting games for children.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 19/01/2017 10:36:24    1946903

Link

drive by that place regularly on my way to the pale,it looks like it will be at the expense of a pitch and putt course,many 5 a side pitches,is there a driving range in there also as well as a pub,etc?
so basically a community loses amenities,jobs,a facility like a pitch and putt course which is probably used all day to be replaced by a few pitches which will be used far less frequently.
a shame in my view,we don't really need more pitches,do we?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 19/01/2017 11:50:16    1946931

Link

This was started as a new thread but as the subject is the same it has been incorporated here.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265171

A great day for for South Dublin and all Gaa lovers.
clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts:8191

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 19/01/2017 12:04:42    1946935

Link

This was posted in a similar thread that has now been amalgamated into this thread.

Congratulations. I presume this is different to the Leinster Councils mad plan for a neutral M50 stadium and is Dublin specific.
RoyalBadger (Meath) - Posts:338

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 19/01/2017 12:06:15    1946936

Link

This is for a stadium not a centre of excellance.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4896 - 19/01/2017 12:20:36    1946943

Link

Agree with moc.dna I think it's only a vanity project like the other counties have wasted money on.
I much preferred our developing players approach as oppossed to developing facilities approach other counties have gone down over last decade's.
what happens when the 25 thousand stadium can't handle the demand?
We have a perfectly situated stadium available smack bang in town with terrific infrastructure already leading to it that has the capacity to grow dublin gaa not cap it like spawell can only do, out on a motorway that has reached critical levels with road users this year being it's highest ever and leading to it becoming severely overpopulated and at crisis point.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 19/01/2017 12:55:05    1946957

Link

Absolute waste of money. 3rd stadium for Dublin. Sickening with club volunteers around country out every day fund raising to raise enough for hurleys, helmots or just to keep the club open

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4624 - 19/01/2017 13:41:35    1946974

Link

Dublin need a fit for purpose Stadium of their own that they can call home, they currently don't have a fit for purpose Stadium they can call their own and the continued use of Croke Park for league matches is an unfair situation and dilutes the importance of Croke Park and the achievement of getting to play there, the national GAA stadium with an 82'300 capacity should not be used for run of the mill league games only in exceptional or special occasions. I am delighted to see this Dublin County Board being so proactive in this regard and Dublin teams and supporters deserve a proper home ground to host games in. Croke Park gets far too much use in my opinion anyway and things like Leinster semi finals and some All Ireland quarter finals should be moved about the country, I wouldn't even object to the odd All Ireland semi final being shipped out if the geographical pairing made sense.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 19/01/2017 13:45:29    1946975

Link

Dublin need a fit for purpose Stadium of their own that they can call home, they currently don't have a fit for purpose Stadium they can call their own and the continued use of Croke Park for league matches is an unfair situation and dilutes the importance of Croke Park and the achievement of getting to play there, the national GAA stadium with an 82'300 capacity should not be used for run of the mill league games only in exceptional or special occasions. I am delighted to see this Dublin County Board being so proactive in this regard and Dublin teams and supporters deserve a proper home ground to host games in. Croke Park gets far too much use in my opinion anyway and things like Leinster semi finals and some All Ireland quarter finals should be moved about the country, I wouldn't even object to the odd All Ireland semi final being shipped out if the geographical pairing made sense.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 19/01/2017 14:35:33    1946990

Link

There aren't two perfectly good GAA Stadiums (or should that be Stadia?) in Dublin. Croke Park is too big for most Dublin matches and Parnell Pk is too small. Parnell pk also has huge access and parking issues. A few gigs, naming rights and 10-year ticket sales shoul mean that it doesn't become the financial millstone that some county grounds end up. They aren't making any more land in Dublin and I think the county board had to go for this before it disappeared.
It'll be costly but it makes sense in the long-term imo.

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 19/01/2017 14:37:35    1946991

Link

Replying To Richieq:  "Dublin need a fit for purpose Stadium of their own that they can call home, they currently don't have a fit for purpose Stadium they can call their own and the continued use of Croke Park for league matches is an unfair situation and dilutes the importance of Croke Park and the achievement of getting to play there, the national GAA stadium with an 82'300 capacity should not be used for run of the mill league games only in exceptional or special occasions. I am delighted to see this Dublin County Board being so proactive in this regard and Dublin teams and supporters deserve a proper home ground to host games in. Croke Park gets far too much use in my opinion anyway and things like Leinster semi finals and some All Ireland quarter finals should be moved about the country, I wouldn't even object to the odd All Ireland semi final being shipped out if the geographical pairing made sense."
Agree 100% Parnell Park is seriously run down and Croke Park been used for Dublin games in the league which I don't agree with on many levels.Parnell should be improved upon or they built a new stadium.I would built a new stadium as Parnell Parks location,parking etc is far from ideal.The Spawell site would suit to be fair.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 19/01/2017 15:02:10    1947004

Link

Replying To Mickmick:  "There aren't two perfectly good GAA Stadiums (or should that be Stadia?) in Dublin. Croke Park is too big for most Dublin matches and Parnell Pk is too small. Parnell pk also has huge access and parking issues. A few gigs, naming rights and 10-year ticket sales shoul mean that it doesn't become the financial millstone that some county grounds end up. They aren't making any more land in Dublin and I think the county board had to go for this before it disappeared.
It'll be costly but it makes sense in the long-term imo."
Agree 100% and if anyone can afford it,it is Dublin in fairness.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 19/01/2017 15:03:14    1947005

Link

Replying To Mickmick:  "There aren't two perfectly good GAA Stadiums (or should that be Stadia?) in Dublin. Croke Park is too big for most Dublin matches and Parnell Pk is too small. Parnell pk also has huge access and parking issues. A few gigs, naming rights and 10-year ticket sales shoul mean that it doesn't become the financial millstone that some county grounds end up. They aren't making any more land in Dublin and I think the county board had to go for this before it disappeared.
It'll be costly but it makes sense in the long-term imo."
Agreed, the other thing is that with the people in charge of Dublin GAA I imagine financial prudence and common sense will prevail, certain GAA infrastructural developments have represented poor value for money if for example you look at the cost of the new stand in MacHale Park or the refit of the stands in Semple Stadium (which couldn't even find its way to put a full roof on the old stand despite millions being spent, watch Pairc Ui Chaoimh take over in Munster) or the preference of uncovered terracing over covered seating in Killarney. I would imagine given the financial prowess and expertise shown by the Dubs in securing all their sponsorship deals that they will achieve value for money on any new facilities

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 19/01/2017 15:05:46    1947007

Link

Replying To bad.monkey:  "Absolute waste of money. 3rd stadium for Dublin. Sickening with club volunteers around country out every day fund raising to raise enough for hurleys, helmots or just to keep the club open"
Agree 100%.

A waste of money imo. A shiny new out of town stadium in the middle of a car park beside the M50! Disappointing news as the money could be much better spent.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 19/01/2017 15:44:39    1947025

Link

Spent better on what? Please don't say coaches. Country folk go nuts that we play all our games in Croker now we're building our own stadium your still not happy? The centre of excellence won't happen there so I don't get why some posters are jumping on what the article said " may cater for more than just a staduim , with talk of a centre of excellence " ah sure that means it's a definite plus there's only enough land there for a staduim no way would you fit 4 or 5 pitches out there as well

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 19/01/2017 16:04:04    1947037

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Spent better on what? Please don't say coaches. Country folk go nuts that we play all our games in Croker now we're building our own stadium your still not happy? The centre of excellence won't happen there so I don't get why some posters are jumping on what the article said " may cater for more than just a staduim , with talk of a centre of excellence " ah sure that means it's a definite plus there's only enough land there for a staduim no way would you fit 4 or 5 pitches out there as well"
Hurls, helmets, footballs, cones, jerseys, sliotars, coaching courses, grants to clubs for hurling walls, grants for general improvement to club facilities.

I'm sure there's a lot more.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 19/01/2017 16:10:32    1947039

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Agree 100%.

A waste of money imo. A shiny new out of town stadium in the middle of a car park beside the M50! Disappointing news as the money could be much better spent."
Where would the money be better spent? According to Pauric Duffy there shouldn't be a club in Dublin under financial pressure thanks to Bertie if he had his way ye would probably be playing league matches in the "Bertie Bowl". Dublin have sponsorship deals that no other county will ever come close too and some Dublin clubs have sponsorship deals that some county boards would be envious of, ye have the same shirt sponsor as the All Blacks for Christ sake yet you have no fit for purpose home stadium!! I'm sure the money used to rent out Croke Park could be better spent to, add all that up and I'd say you would have the price of the groundwork and foundations at least.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 19/01/2017 16:16:55    1947044

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Agree 100%.

A waste of money imo. A shiny new out of town stadium in the middle of a car park beside the M50! Disappointing news as the money could be much better spent."
Where would the money be better spent? According to Pauric Duffy there shouldn't be a club in Dublin under financial pressure thanks to "the Bert", if he had his way ye would probably be playing league matches in the equally cavernous "Bertie Bowl". Dublin have sponsorship deals that no other county will ever come close too and some Dublin clubs have sponsorship deals that some county boards would be envious of, ye have the same shirt sponsor as the All Blacks for Christ sake yet you have no fit for purpose home stadium!! I'm sure the money used to rent out Croke Park could be better spent to, add all that up and I'd say you would have the price of the groundwork and foundations at least.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 19/01/2017 16:24:13    1947047

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Spent better on what? Please don't say coaches. Country folk go nuts that we play all our games in Croker now we're building our own stadium your still not happy? The centre of excellence won't happen there so I don't get why some posters are jumping on what the article said " may cater for more than just a staduim , with talk of a centre of excellence " ah sure that means it's a definite plus there's only enough land there for a staduim no way would you fit 4 or 5 pitches out there as well"
It's 35 acres believe it or not, footprints of Croke Park and Aviva are both about 16-17 acres. Plenty of room for training pitches and Coach park. You might even squeeze in a hotel and conference facilities on it to help pay for the stadium.

The site's big problem is it's very far away from the Luas or DART lines.

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 19/01/2017 16:30:47    1947051

Link