National Forum

If you could have three wishes from the GAA?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Three wishes .Be it rule changes to the game ,structure of AIl Ireland championship or anything else you can think of.

Nothing related to your country winning the AI or silly stuff about other counties fans. Only logical things that can have genuine impact on football/hurling.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 20/08/2016 23:46:44    1903708

Link

1. Timeclock like in the ladies game
2. Black card scrapped
3. Sin bin in

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 21/08/2016 08:30:55    1903723

Link

Inter-county championships finished in August to allow remainder of the year for club championships.
Teams finishing 3rd and 4th in the Leinster qualifier group and both Christy Ring finalists being allowed into the All-Ireland hurling 1st round qualifier.
Group stage in both codes consisting of provincial finalists and the same number of qualifier counties.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7823 - 21/08/2016 09:06:08    1903731

Link

1. Distribute funding fairly across the board
2. Put the black card fiasco on to the scrap heap.
3. Remove the 2/3rds majority vote needed to get things through congress.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 1328 - 21/08/2016 09:48:57    1903744

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "1. Timeclock like in the ladies game
2. Black card scrapped
3. Sin bin in"
Couldn't agree more, especially the clock.
I'd like to see umpires as we know them scrapped and replaced with four referees who can actually influence and help the match referee, I'd like to see Hawkeye introduced in more inter county grounds especially for the hurling, I'd like to see referees more accountable after matches for decisions they may or may not have made.

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1898 - 21/08/2016 10:22:39    1903748

Link

#1 I'd like to see Dublin earn the right to play in Croke Park again. As a fan I'm bored of the place during the league and early championship. Its a wonderful sporting arena, One of the best in Europe. And many of my recent experiences there in the past 4 or 5 years (Apart from the all Ireland knockout stages) have been fairly drab, boring affairs. No atmosphere, 1/3 or 1/4 of the ground full. It doesn't feel like the sacred place it used to feel like growing up when you would long for days out in Croke Park. What is it they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt. If that meant Dublin building a new ground somewhere with a capacity of 35,000 and leaving Croke park for the all Ireland series then so be it.

#2 I'd like to see every single county competitive. Whatever we say about the premier league in the soccer, Its so competitive, With teams with financial benefits and bigger pull factors losing to teams that are miles below them in terms of quality. Burnley beating Liverpool yesterday, Hull beating Leicester. I'd just love a league and championship campaign where you couldn't with any great certainty predict the result, Or if a team like Dublin had to play out of their skins to beat a Longford for example.

And finally

#3 A controversial one, But i'd like to see intercounty players looked after financially. A basic wage nothing more. No superstar 100k a week payments, Just a basic, simple, living wage that's capped at 400 euro a week. Not thought too much about how it would work, But I think in the long term it would help especially in the so called weaker counties, to attract people to play a sport and earn a living from it if you are good enough or at least balance it around a part time job.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 21/08/2016 10:36:26    1903750

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "1. Timeclock like in the ladies game
2. Black card scrapped
3. Sin bin in"
Ya defo agree with the first two especially . Stop controversy with phantom injury time with a stop clock.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 21/08/2016 10:47:43    1903753

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "#1 I'd like to see Dublin earn the right to play in Croke Park again. As a fan I'm bored of the place during the league and early championship. Its a wonderful sporting arena, One of the best in Europe. And many of my recent experiences there in the past 4 or 5 years (Apart from the all Ireland knockout stages) have been fairly drab, boring affairs. No atmosphere, 1/3 or 1/4 of the ground full. It doesn't feel like the sacred place it used to feel like growing up when you would long for days out in Croke Park. What is it they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt. If that meant Dublin building a new ground somewhere with a capacity of 35,000 and leaving Croke park for the all Ireland series then so be it.

#2 I'd like to see every single county competitive. Whatever we say about the premier league in the soccer, Its so competitive, With teams with financial benefits and bigger pull factors losing to teams that are miles below them in terms of quality. Burnley beating Liverpool yesterday, Hull beating Leicester. I'd just love a league and championship campaign where you couldn't with any great certainty predict the result, Or if a team like Dublin had to play out of their skins to beat a Longford for example.

And finally

#3 A controversial one, But i'd like to see intercounty players looked after financially. A basic wage nothing more. No superstar 100k a week payments, Just a basic, simple, living wage that's capped at 400 euro a week. Not thought too much about how it would work, But I think in the long term it would help especially in the so called weaker counties, to attract people to play a sport and earn a living from it if you are good enough or at least balance it around a part time job."
Agree with number one and two. One is obvious. Croke park is overused for everything. Quater and half full looks horrible .Each match should be judged according to roughly how many people are expected and use the smaller stadiums across the country accordingly. No point of having a Tipp v Galway in croker with Tipp having far fewer football fans.

The last one is dodgey.I agree players should be paid but I believe it is a slippery slope once you bring in pay.It is what happened professional soccer years ago and now look at the state of things. They used to have a player cap on earnings but slowly better players got paid more then players started going to better paying clubs. My biggest fear is that you could have Kerry lads playing for Dublin or Mayo lads playing for us if things become more professional.I know this happens very very occasionally but is usually due to fall out with management .My favourite thing about the GAA is its loyalty and how I know some players personally on my own team.If you look at soccer , the only loyal people are the fans.I'd hate to see a day when a GAA transfer window started up.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 21/08/2016 10:59:17    1903755

Link

1 Champions League type structure for the championship - it's getting there

2 Empower umpires and introduce video evidence.

3 On a couny note, redevelop our home ground and play all home league matches there or build new ground if redevelopment is restricted.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 21/08/2016 11:17:15    1903756

Link

Mine would be as follows:

1. Scrap black card .(I'm no expert on what should be brought in instead of this but it does need to be seriously addressed soon).

2.I'd like to more games in the championship.Champions league style.Group stage , teams by last years results and then knockout over two legs until the final. I don't see why players couldn't be playing every week throughout the summer.Teams that are knocked out in 3rd /4th place go into a smaller B championship structured similarly .

3.Sky sports crap to be abolished. Sickens me that older rural people might have no access to watch these games on sky and some of them the biggest fans going.If you want to promote the games abroad pay Conor Mcgreogor to go on Tv with a football and get him talking some guff about football/hurling , you'll have half of America playing it by next week. This sky sports bull gets my blood boiling. It is all about money obviously.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 21/08/2016 11:22:12    1903757

Link

1. Improve football standards across all counties and reduce the gap between the top counties and so-called lesser counties.

2. Scrap the black card and have more consistent and decisive refereeing of the yellow and red card.

3. Market hurling and football to tourists. I've posted on this before and see Colm O'Rourke mentioned it in the Sindo in relation to the great hurling semis. Plenty of empty seats at games in summer and an ideal chance to show visitors something unique and great. Would also bring in a few more quid to the GAA and businesses around the grounds.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 21/08/2016 11:35:33    1903759

Link

Anna Geary
Sinead Goldrick
Ashling Thompson

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 21/08/2016 12:31:29    1903765

Link

1.) All cards scrapped bar red - sin bin for Yellow/Black cards
2.) Time clock countdown aka Ladies football
3.) Do away with throw-ins - just alternate possession from sideline - speed up the game.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 21/08/2016 13:15:46    1903775

Link

1. Distribute funding fairly across the board
2. Put the black card fiasco on to the scrap heap.
3. Remove the 2/3rds majority vote needed to get things through congress.
tearintom (Wexford) - Posts:409 - 21/08/2016 09:48:57
What exactly is a "fair" distribution of funding? What defines fair?
Why get rid of the black card and if you do get rid of it what do you replace it with?
Why get rid of the 2/3rds majority vote?
I would like a sin bin, referees to be given more powers and help. Umpires to receive better training. Any abuse of officials is a straight card and then a free is moved up 15 metres.
I'd like to see referees more accountable after matches for decisions they may or may not have made.
Bon (Kildare) - Posts:244 - 21/08/2016 10:22:39
What do you mean by more accountable?
And finally
#3 A controversial one, But i'd like to see intercounty players looked after financially. A basic wage nothing more. No superstar 100k a week payments, Just a basic, simple, living wage that's capped at 400 euro a week. Not thought too much about how it would work, But I think in the long term it would help especially in the so called weaker counties, to attract people to play a sport and earn a living from it if you are good enough or at least balance it around a part time job.
waynoI (Dublin) - Posts:11530 - 21/08/2016 10:36:26
Its not possible for every county to be competitive in terms of the all Ireland the way its structured. The only way every county would be competitive is if you have a tiered competition and all counties can find their right level.
When you want players to be paid is this so they can be more full time athletes or is this on top of their wages as pro athletes.
Where does all this money come from?

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 21/08/2016 13:32:28    1903779

Link

1 Better protection of referees. Player abuse and abuse from sidelines penalised much more

2 stream line inter county competitions and better management of club games. season structure set out in December every year for the following calendar year with only a slight leeway given for extraordinary circumstances.

3 change go games and remove all championships from the u12. There is still competitions. Just let kids play blitzes and not have any championships at all and also have more 7s competitions for adults...

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 21/08/2016 13:36:07    1903781

Link

Mine would be as follows:
1. Scrap black card .(I'm no expert on what should be brought in instead of this but it does need to be seriously addressed soon).
2.I'd like to more games in the championship.Champions league style.Group stage, teams by last years results and then knockout over two legs until the final. I don't see why players couldn't be playing every week throughout the summer.nTeams that are knocked out in 3rd /4th place go into a smaller B championship structured similarly .
3.Sky sports crap to be abolished. Sickens me that older rural people might have no access to watch these games on sky and some of them the biggest fans going.If you want to promote the games abroad pay Conor Mcgreogor to go on Tv with a football and get him talking some guff about football/hurling, you'll have half of America playing it by next week. This sky sports bull gets my blood boiling. It is all about money obviously.
GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts:79 - 21/08/2016 11:22:12
Why scrap the black card? It can only be scrapped if you bring in a suitable replacement like a sin bin
If you want more games in the championship what about clubs?
Sky Sports cant be scrapped if it means less games on tv, less money for the gaa. sky sports isn't simply about money

1. Improve football standards across all counties and reduce the gap between the top counties and so-called lesser counties.
2. Scrap the black card and have more consistent and decisive refereeing of the yellow and red card.
3. Market hurling and football to tourists. I've posted on this before and see Colm O'Rourke mentioned it in the Sindo in relation to the great hurling semis. Plenty of empty seats at games in summer and an ideal chance to show visitors something unique and great. Would also bring in a few more quid to the GAA and businesses around the grounds.
GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:2735 - 21/08/2016 11:35:33
how do you improve football standards?
Scrapping the black card to go back to yellow and red is a bad idea. What do you do to get "more consistent and decisive refereeing"?

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 21/08/2016 13:39:09    1903783

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "Anna Geary
Sinead Goldrick
Ashling Thompson"
That mind of yours!

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 21/08/2016 13:47:25    1903785

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Mine would be as follows:
2.I'd like to more games in the championship.Champions league style.Group stage, teams by last years results and then knockout over two legs until the final. I don't see why players couldn't be playing every week throughout the summer.nTeams that are knocked out in 3rd /4th place go into a smaller B championship structured similarly .
3.Sky sports crap to be abolished. Sickens me that older rural people might have no access to watch these games on sky and some of them the biggest fans going.If you want to promote the games abroad pay Conor Mcgreogor to go on Tv with a football and get him talking some guff about football/hurling, you'll have half of America playing it by next week. This sky sports bull gets my blood boiling. It is all about money obviously.
GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts:79 - 21/08/2016 11:22:12
Why scrap the black card? It can only be scrapped if you bring in a suitable replacement like a sin bin
If you want more games in the championship what about clubs?
Sky Sports cant be scrapped if it means less games on tv, less money for the gaa. sky sports isn't simply about money

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:2735 - 21/08/2016 11:35:33
how do you improve football standards?
Scrapping the black card to go back to yellow and red is a bad idea. What do you do to get "more consistent and decisive refereeing"?"
You get so-called lesser counties playing regularly against a higher standard than division 3 or 4, probably by restructuring the league and have divisions of 2 teams each from current divisions 1 to 4.

You won't be going back to yellow and red, they are there already. Referees need to be monitored to show they consistently referee the yellow and redcard and not just a few doing it. Look at Coldrick giving the Tipp player a red for what was less than U10 handbags. A clown of a decision. He also stopped continuity by calling players back when they had a clear advantage. In such cases a ref should be reassessed for his suitability to ref inter-county games.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 21/08/2016 17:42:56    1903946

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "1 Better protection of referees. Player abuse and abuse from sidelines penalised much more

2 stream line inter county competitions and better management of club games. season structure set out in December every year for the following calendar year with only a slight leeway given for extraordinary circumstances.

3 change go games and remove all championships from the u12. There is still competitions. Just let kids play blitzes and not have any championships at all and also have more 7s competitions for adults..."
I really like what you're saying on u12.

GAA has to move to a different model of coaching and young player development. Under 12s should not be playing 15 a side.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 21/08/2016 17:55:07    1903952

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "Anna Geary
Sinead Goldrick
Ashling Thompson"
At the same time?

That seems greedy and a little over ambitious ;)

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13705 - 21/08/2016 18:28:37    1903988

Link