National Forum

Connacht championship

(Oldest Posts First)

can anyone explain to me why in a province where there are 7 teams competing that one team has to win 3 games to get to a final whilst another plays once to get to a final.

surely if you have 7 teams A,B,C,D,E,F,G the competion should run as follows.

quarter finals

(1) A v B
(2) C v D
(3) E v F

semi-finals
(S1) winner 1 v G
(S2) winner2 v winner 3

final
S1 v S2

why is it not run along these lines instead of

Preliminary
New York v Roscommon

Quarter
Leitrim V Roscommon
Mayo v London

Semi-Final

Sligo v Roscommon
Galway v Mayo

Final
Galway v Roscommon

so Roscommon play in the preliminary round and also the quarter final whereas Sligo and Galway play in neither. as both get a bye in to the semi.

I mean is it time to do away with these provincial councils as they don't seem up to the task

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 24/07/2016 13:20:15    1889095

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "can anyone explain to me why in a province where there are 7 teams competing that one team has to win 3 games to get to a final whilst another plays once to get to a final.

quarter finals

(1) A v B
(2) C v D
(3) E v F

semi-finals
(S1) winner 1 v G
(S2) winner2 v winner 3

final
S1 v S2

Preliminary
New York v Roscommon

Quarter
Leitrim V Roscommon
Mayo v London

Semi-Final

Sligo v Roscommon
Galway v Mayo

Final
Galway v Roscommon

so Roscommon play in the preliminary round and also the quarter final whereas Sligo and Galway play in neither. as both get a bye in to the semi.

I mean is it time to do away with these provincial councils as they don't seem up to the task"
The New Yor game is treated as somewhat of an exhibition match.
It'll bite the GAA soon when they beat one of the teams.

Then they'll have a case of either fly s team out to play a second New York game or have New York have to travel over, which they won't want to do as not all players are over there above board.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4208 - 24/07/2016 13:36:19    1889106

Link

It's a joke, only in the west can you have 8 or 9 rounds just to play 3 lousy games, quarter, semi and final. We have a preliminary round then a 2nd plem round followed by a 3rd, then there's the round for emigrants, then the round for locals, then a round for politicians, a round for the churches, a round for the county councils before we get the semis

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 24/07/2016 16:18:11    1889191

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "It's a joke, only in the west can you have 8 or 9 rounds just to play 3 lousy games, quarter, semi and final. We have a preliminary round then a 2nd plem round followed by a 3rd, then there's the round for emigrants, then the round for locals, then a round for politicians, a round for the churches, a round for the county councils before we get the semis"
Is this about football, drink or both?

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 24/07/2016 16:42:20    1889209

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "can anyone explain to me why in a province where there are 7 teams competing that one team has to win 3 games to get to a final whilst another plays once to get to a final.

quarter finals

(1) A v B
(2) C v D
(3) E v F

semi-finals
(S1) winner 1 v G
(S2) winner2 v winner 3

final
S1 v S2

Preliminary
New York v Roscommon

Quarter
Leitrim V Roscommon
Mayo v London

Semi-Final

Sligo v Roscommon
Galway v Mayo

Final
Galway v Roscommon

I mean is it time to do away with these provincial councils as they don't seem up to the task"
Simply - they want their elite teams to get the 'Kilkenny' treatment !

omahant (USA) - Posts: 2570 - 27/07/2016 19:15:56    1891154

Link

Happens in every province to some degree. Didnt Antrim get a bye to THE FINAL each year in the hurling until recently?

DoireCityFC (Derry) - Posts: 1580 - 27/07/2016 19:52:38    1891174

Link

Now they're saying Mayo deliberately lost to Galway. Say it ain't so Stephen.

liner (Mayo) - Posts: 756 - 27/07/2016 20:04:43    1891179

Link

Replying To DoireCityFC:  "Happens in every province to some degree. Didnt Antrim get a bye to THE FINAL each year in the hurling until recently?"
that's different . Antrim were always the top team in Ulster and would hammer the others. In connacht it seems the team that travels to NewYork also have to play a quarter final whilst 2 other teams get a bye in to the semis. I can't see the logic. Can someone explain please.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 27/07/2016 21:59:20    1891251

Link

Its a bad system alright. Roscommon played 6 championship games this year and were out before quarter final stage, Galway could win an All Ireland by playing 6 games in total, and they both got to Connacht Final

Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts: 90 - 28/07/2016 09:19:50    1891341

Link