National Forum

Pat Spillane ( The Manager )

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Listening to him on the Sunday game last night he made it very clear that he would love the opportunity to manage or be a part of the management team at intercounty or club level but doesn't seem to have too many takers.
Interesting to hear what HS posters think of the notion and if he would be better in this role than perhaps it might first appear.
Sounded like he had made approaches in Kerry but was rebuffed fairly sharpish.
Would you consider him as an option wherever you might be from ?

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 27/06/2016 17:03:32    1872919

Link

Replying To catch22:  "Listening to him on the Sunday game last night he made it very clear that he would love the opportunity to manage or be a part of the management team at intercounty or club level but doesn't seem to have too many takers.
Interesting to hear what HS posters think of the notion and if he would be better in this role than perhaps it might first appear.
Would you consider him as an option wherever you might be from ?"
Pat this...Pat that..Pat me Bag :)

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 27/06/2016 17:17:06    1872927

Link

Replying To catch22: "Listening to him on the Sunday game last night he made it very clear that he would love the opportunity to manage or be a part of the management team at intercounty or club level but doesn't seem to have too many takers.
WhyTheLongFace (USA) - Posts:374 - 27/06/2016 17:17:06 1872927

I see,I take it that's a no then.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 27/06/2016 18:01:14    1872959

Link

I'd love to see Pat as a manager,I'd bet there'd be a huge amount of goodwill towards him.

extranjero (Wexford) - Posts: 375 - 27/06/2016 18:14:21    1872964

Link

Replying To catch22:  "Replying To catch22: "Listening to him on the Sunday game last night he made it very clear that he would love the opportunity to manage or be a part of the management team at intercounty or club level but doesn't seem to have too many takers.
WhyTheLongFace (USA) - Posts:374 - 27/06/2016 17:17:06 1872927

I see,I take it that's a no then."
look he may well be a good manger ...but he dirty his bib by writing awful things over the years about teams..it wouldn't be very hard to motivated players playing against Pat Spillane teams..he gave them plenty of ammo already!

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 27/06/2016 18:15:43    1872966

Link

Not a chance.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 27/06/2016 18:22:50    1872971

Link

He'd be about as much use as Dunphy would.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7896 - 27/06/2016 18:48:27    1872979

Link

At least he has said he would like to be involved, O'Rourke, Brolly, Whelan etc are yapping on every game and won't throw their names into the ring, time to put your money where your mouth is. Will O'Rourke put his name forward for the Meath job when it comes up? I doubt it

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 27/06/2016 19:04:48    1872988

Link

By all accounts he was an awesome footballer .

That doesn't mean he has great knowledge of the game .

Many many successful sports people make poor coaches ,

My opinion is that he's a really poor pundit - in fact he's pretty awful .

I wouldn't want him near my football team .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 27/06/2016 19:17:46    1872993

Link

Listening to him for 10 minutes every other week is enough for me.As mes said,not a chance!

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 27/06/2016 19:19:31    1872994

Link

And Spillane also thinks that modern day football is full of bluffer, or has he called them, dieticians and statisticians. Pat is stuck in the good old days when men were men and all that other shite people say.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7896 - 27/06/2016 20:57:51    1873033

Link

I'd love to see him have a go, it'd be a bit of craic listening to him anyway. But by jaysus, he could play! And I thought he was very frank about his lack of say 'bite' as a player, but he was that good, it didn't matter.

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 28/06/2016 03:02:41    1873110

Link

Surely he could get involved with a club team?

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 28/06/2016 10:04:07    1873146

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "At least he has said he would like to be involved, O'Rourke, Brolly, Whelan etc are yapping on every game and won't throw their names into the ring, time to put your money where your mouth is. Will O'Rourke put his name forward for the Meath job when it comes up? I doubt it"
I think O' Rourke did must his name in the hat for the Meath job previously. He has also managed St Pat's in Navan to success.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 28/06/2016 10:13:15    1873155

Link

He expressed interest in the Under 21 job few years back but Darragh O'Se beat him to the post that time..... still lads waht many of ye might not be aware of is that he has been involved in his divisional team a few times and is an extremely passionate gaa man and has a good reading and insight into the game... I bet you many lower division counties would bite off his right arm to be involved... personally I would love to see him involved at underage or Junior level in kerry...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5491 - 28/06/2016 10:33:09    1873167

Link

Is there a problem with putting up my posts?

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 28/06/2016 11:36:03    1873197

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "And Spillane also thinks that modern day football is full of bluffer, or has he called them, dieticians and statisticians. Pat is stuck in the good old days when men were men and all that other shite people say."
But sure isn't he right.. It's awful stuff to watch. Gym trained basketball players. The best pick up I saw last weekend was Seamie Coleman in France game. They are training 5/6 days a week and majority of forwards can't kick a score from 25 metres on the run under no pressure. A Kildare forward couldn't even kick a 20 metre free in front of the goals out of his hands. Same for an Armagh forward against Cavan. Brutal stuff by the majority . I don't know what they are doing in training but they ain't practicing the skills of the game. They won't even take a long kick out because they can't field it and are afraid to loose possession . They conceed the kickout like soccer, retreat into zones and hope for turnovers then run like hell in possession flicking it from player to player like rugby across the pitch until they dragged down and win a free that the goalkeeper can talk. Woeful stuff. What makes Connolly and Flynn look good it they can score off the outside of the booth, the majority can't. Let's get some skill back in the game ... A sidestep.. A high catch .. A forward scoring from a sideline ball..,it's glorified soccer with a bit of rugby thrown in

Awwwwnow (Cavan) - Posts: 1050 - 28/06/2016 12:15:35    1873218

Link

Replying To Awwwwnow:  "But sure isn't he right.. It's awful stuff to watch. Gym trained basketball players. The best pick up I saw last weekend was Seamie Coleman in France game. They are training 5/6 days a week and majority of forwards can't kick a score from 25 metres on the run under no pressure. A Kildare forward couldn't even kick a 20 metre free in front of the goals out of his hands. Same for an Armagh forward against Cavan. Brutal stuff by the majority . I don't know what they are doing in training but they ain't practicing the skills of the game. They won't even take a long kick out because they can't field it and are afraid to loose possession . They conceed the kickout like soccer, retreat into zones and hope for turnovers then run like hell in possession flicking it from player to player like rugby across the pitch until they dragged down and win a free that the goalkeeper can talk. Woeful stuff. What makes Connolly and Flynn look good it they can score off the outside of the booth, the majority can't. Let's get some skill back in the game ... A sidestep.. A high catch .. A forward scoring from a sideline ball..,it's glorified soccer with a bit of rugby thrown in"
Listen some of it is awful but to say that dieticians and statisticians are bluffers and spoofers is laughable. And by the way has anyone actually watched old matches on TG4 from the 70's and 80's? The majority of it was pretty poor to be fair.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7896 - 28/06/2016 12:56:56    1873243

Link

Pat was one of the greatest players I ever saw....... but does he deserve a county job because he was a great player...... yes he has coached, come in and out ..... but has he ever taken a team, from U-12 up the whole yr..... I doubt it..... he's on the Sunday game every week so he's not exactly involved in a club team -that would be impossible....
Brolly is involved in coaching ( but what exactly is /was his role - did he ever take a team too) and O'Rourke did put his name forward , but he jumped onto the St. Pat's side managed by P. Cantwell......
like in soccer many can say they will but few will chance their arms.....
every yr there are many many clubs throughout Ireland who would like to have Pat's expertise and knowledge.....
If Pat is still bored and wants a chance , come to Armagh... we will find a job for you

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1673 - 28/06/2016 13:14:13    1873256

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Listen some of it is awful but to say that dieticians and statisticians are bluffers and spoofers is laughable. And by the way has anyone actually watched old matches on TG4 from the 70's and 80's? The majority of it was pretty poor to be fair."
The football 91-95 was as good as you will see. Those Dublin/Meath games Down/Meath etc had everything's. Speed skill hard knocks, great scores. Players faked nothing. Got up and got on with it. Watch it see for yourself. You can't touch a player nowadays but it's a free. It's same as soccer only we can still handle the ball.

Awwwwnow (Cavan) - Posts: 1050 - 28/06/2016 13:17:28    1873261

Link