National Forum

Ulster GAA question?

(Oldest Posts First)

With both Ulster semi-finals ending in draws has this ever happened before? Can't remember it ever happening before.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 27/06/2016 12:02:12    1872677

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "With both Ulster semi-finals ending in draws has this ever happened before? Can't remember it ever happening before."
Not sure but id be interested to know aswell to be honest.

Two decent games, I look forward to the replays.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 27/06/2016 12:45:41    1872703

Link

Last time (and only that I can see from going through records) it happened was 1959.

Cavan and Armagh drew (0-13 to 2-7) the first day with Cavan edging the replay by 2 points.
Down and Tyrone drew the other (1-6 apiece) with Down running out easy winners the next day.

As an aside what was quite amusing when going through the different years of the All-Ireland there was how many games back in the day were replayed because of an objection lodged. Not just talking Ulster but across the Provinces. One wonders what grounds did Counties have to object and how bad were they that they ordered a replay. Maybe the scorekeeper couldn't work the Abacus.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 27/06/2016 12:51:04    1872709

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Last time (and only that I can see from going through records) it happened was 1959.

Cavan and Armagh drew (0-13 to 2-7) the first day with Cavan edging the replay by 2 points.
Down and Tyrone drew the other (1-6 apiece) with Down running out easy winners the next day.

As an aside what was quite amusing when going through the different years of the All-Ireland there was how many games back in the day were replayed because of an objection lodged. Not just talking Ulster but across the Provinces. One wonders what grounds did Counties have to object and how bad were they that they ordered a replay. Maybe the scorekeeper couldn't work the Abacus."
Most of the objections were to do with players on the pitch that shouldn't have been, wouldn't happen now though

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 27/06/2016 13:21:43    1872744

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Not sure but id be interested to know aswell to be honest.

Two decent games, I look forward to the replays."
Does anyone know if they're being televised?

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 27/06/2016 13:22:23    1872746

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Last time (and only that I can see from going through records) it happened was 1959.

As an aside what was quite amusing when going through the different years of the All-Ireland there was how many games back in the day were replayed because of an objection lodged. Not just talking Ulster but across the Provinces. One wonders what grounds did Counties have to object and how bad were they that they ordered a replay. Maybe the scorekeeper couldn't work the Abacus."
Good man Offside. Cheers.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 27/06/2016 14:02:34    1872767

Link

I know I have often pondered the same question. I think even all-ireland finals were disputed. Teams refused to travel etc etc.

On another note I believe it is time to do away with replays up to provincial finals (extra-time instead). (was this passed at congress recently).

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 27/06/2016 16:59:40    1872915

Link