National Forum

I think of English media when RTE describe Dublin.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Dublin are a fantastic team and I think will actually go on to win 5 in a row. However they are allowed to be criticised. Every time Brolly even tries to put a negative slant across Lyster jumps like a high jumper from his seat. The bit on real football was very embarassing.. I thought Dublin were very average in the first half but alas you dare not mention it ☺☺.

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 26/06/2016 19:41:02    1872362

Link

Replying To sam1884:  "Dublin are a fantastic team and I think will actually go on to win 5 in a row. However they are allowed to be criticised. Every time Brolly even tries to put a negative slant across Lyster jumps like a high jumper from his seat. The bit on real football was very embarassing.. I thought Dublin were very average in the first half but alas you dare not mention it ☺☺."
Brolly was worse than anyone at half time - "Dublin play a very pure brand of football". Yet he and his sunday game chronies lambast the fact that the high fielding contest in midfield has gone from the game. Dublin killed it with their short kickout strategy. If that's a pure brand of football then so be it but IMO it's killing the game as a spectacle.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 26/06/2016 20:13:52    1872372

Link

Time to scrap the uneven, unfair, and grossly unbalanced provencial championships and have 8 groups of 4 seeded on league standings in champions league format.

It makes far to much sense and will never happen.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 26/06/2016 20:16:19    1872374

Link

Yes they were average in the first half when compared to their sky-high expectations but you have to put in context they were in 2nd gear the whole match and won by 10 points, no other team could do that against a Division 2 team and win so comfortably

KYTitletown (Kerry) - Posts: 816 - 26/06/2016 20:20:19    1872377

Link

Dubs did what they had to do, Meath offered nothing, not the Dubs fault, played at a canter and won by 10!!

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4896 - 26/06/2016 20:21:50    1872379

Link

Marty Morrissey and Martin Carney's 70 minute fawning session was quite cringe-worthy too.

ZeitChrist (UK) - Posts: 154 - 26/06/2016 20:31:20    1872386

Link

Replying To salvador:  "Time to scrap the uneven, unfair, and grossly unbalanced provencial championships and have 8 groups of 4 seeded on league standings in champions league format.

It makes far to much sense and will never happen."
I think the GAA should borrow the Euro 2016 model. 24 teams over six groups of 4 with a last 16 in the knockout stage. It would add excitement as most teams would stay in the main championship and have something to play for in the group stages with 4 third place teams going through. The other 9 counties outside the 24 are Div 4 teams who have there secondary competition.

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 26/06/2016 20:37:57    1872395

Link

Replying To sam1884:  "I think the GAA should borrow the Euro 2016 model. 24 teams over six groups of 4 with a last 16 in the knockout stage. It would add excitement as most teams would stay in the main championship and have something to play for in the group stages with 4 third place teams going through. The other 9 counties outside the 24 are Div 4 teams who have there secondary competition."
Your on to something there..great idea!

Of course its way to fair and transparant to all teams. Better just stick with the unfair and lopsided provencial system.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 26/06/2016 20:49:17    1872410

Link

Replying To salvador:  "Time to scrap the uneven, unfair, and grossly unbalanced provencial championships and have 8 groups of 4 seeded on league standings in champions league format.

It makes far to much sense and will never happen."
Agree would be much fairer. I wish brolly would stop going on about this 2nd tier championship that the players have come out and said they don't want it . Just because he dosen't want to watch it. He gets paid to watch it the players don't . I know he makes the headlines but I'd prefer any gaa pundit over him.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1678 - 26/06/2016 21:07:05    1872423

Link

Replying To sam1884:  "I think the GAA should borrow the Euro 2016 model. 24 teams over six groups of 4 with a last 16 in the knockout stage. It would add excitement as most teams would stay in the main championship and have something to play for in the group stages with 4 third place teams going through. The other 9 counties outside the 24 are Div 4 teams who have there secondary competition."
Doesnt matter what the gaa do.

There will still be hammerings week in week out with the big teams not getting started until knock out.

Dublin didnt even need to turn on the engine and we cruised through that.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/06/2016 21:13:16    1872430

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Agree would be much fairer. I wish brolly would stop going on about this 2nd tier championship that the players have come out and said they don't want it . Just because he dosen't want to watch it. He gets paid to watch it the players don't . I know he makes the headlines but I'd prefer any gaa pundit over him."
He was pretty insufferable today after the game today. What's particularly irritating is he constantly interrupts his colleagues. O Se today actually wanted to discuss the game at hand but Brolly wanted to air his old worn out agenda again.

He's way more boring than the football.

First half way decent, second half Meath were v poor, I think they were just out on their feet. Also Dublin's forward are just so good, Connolly got 2 superb points in the first half. The one that clipped off the bar he hit from 40 yards under pressure from 2 players. The other from the right hand side that he guided over with the outside of his boot after dummying the defender. I mean that's just too good.

One thing I agree with Brolly though is that there is too much of a focus on defence in the modern game. You could tell the Meath team hadn't worked enough on attacking moves. When they got the ball forward everything was off the cuff. Whereas with Dublin you could see they had a plan. It's not even rocket science either. Work the ball to close to the 45, McManamon finds himself a pocket of space behind the Meath half back line and the Connolly or Flynn created the third man who'd support McManamon and would then take the shot.

Meath didn't find a way to get their best scorers Newman and Reilly on the ball enough. Newman is wasted in the full forward line, particularly when they withdraw their whole half forward line. They'd no focal point either to get good possession inside Dublin's 45.

There are very few managers in the modern game have a clue how to construct an attacking plan, that is why Dublin and to a lesser extent Kerry are so far ahead of the pack at present.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4226 - 26/06/2016 21:38:45    1872446

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Doesnt matter what the gaa do.

There will still be hammerings week in week out with the big teams not getting started until knock out.

Dublin didnt even need to turn on the engine and we cruised through that."
Yes their will be hammerings.However Each team will play the exact same amount of games against similer opposition. Dublin/Kerry and Mayo in recent years have had a massive advantage over the top Ulster sides.Totally and utterly unfair.No one can dispute that fact.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 26/06/2016 21:49:59    1872451

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Doesnt matter what the gaa do.

Dublin didnt even need to turn on the engine and we cruised through that."
I think the format should be looked at.

At the end of the day though there is just a lack of depth in the game. Meath are about the 12th best team Ireland and got trounced by Dublin today. Dublin would hammer every team they play in a champions league format group also.

The provincial championship outside of Leinster have been interesting this year.

It's just Dublin are too good for Leinster, but they are over 10 points better than all but 3/4 teams in the whole country.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4226 - 26/06/2016 21:50:11    1872452

Link

Is it me, or do pundits on RTE seem to think their role is to use their platform to create political change within the GAA, rather than match or team analysis.

I watched the two Leinster SF's, and the waffle of Joe Brolly about the game. Just analyse the match, or watch SKY's coverage and see what a pundit should be doing at half time or full time. Team analysis or match analysis is fine, but leave changing the GAA rule book to his articles. The same goes for Pat Spillane.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 27/06/2016 15:48:50    1872856

Link

Dublin are a joy to watch. Pat Gilroys team were more functional but this group are really good.

Current format is poor but apart for the format i think other counties need to take responsibility for themselves. If Dublin hurlers can come from where they were to the top table it should be possible for most football counties to do something similar with correct structures.

Maybe Central Council should tie funding to proper structures. Use funding as a carrot to sort out fixtures etc and make the whole season more streamlined at the same time the long term advantage would be more counties competing.

PS ......................I have no connection to Dublin

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1829 - 27/06/2016 16:09:12    1872875

Link

Not dublins fault to be fair but are you all suprised at rte bias they went to town last year on mc cann and not Donegal keeper for his dive .but on Dublin hardly players fault

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 27/06/2016 16:15:55    1872880

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "Is it me, or do pundits on RTE seem to think their role is to use their platform to create political change within the GAA, rather than match or team analysis.

I watched the two Leinster SF's, and the waffle of Joe Brolly about the game. Just analyse the match, or watch SKY's coverage and see what a pundit should be doing at half time or full time. Team analysis or match analysis is fine, but leave changing the GAA rule book to his articles. The same goes for Pat Spillane."
My thoughts exactly.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4226 - 27/06/2016 20:28:45    1873015

Link

Dublin are the model for other counties to follow, not complain about.

Same as NZ in rugby. Kilkenny in hurling. Barcelona in soccer.

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 27/06/2016 21:06:00    1873037

Link

Come off it would you
our media are twice as bad as the English when it comes to national soccer team.
we finished their of four teams in a group and beat an Italy reserve team with a late goal to even manage that and they class it as the greatest sporting achievment.
some cheek dragging Dublin into the same breath as them hyped up lots.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 27/06/2016 22:23:16    1873058

Link

At least the Dubs win titles.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 27/06/2016 22:33:44    1873065

Link