National Forum

Anthony Cunningham forced to stand down

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Anthony Cunningham fairly laid into the Galway players in his resignation letter.He didn't spare the rod and he cut a forlorn figure while speaking to Marty Morrissey on RTE News.From the outside looking in,i think this decent man has been treated abysmally.Two All Ireland final appearances,in a great position in both at half time.To be hung out to dry by his own players like this leaves a sour taste in my mouth.Player power in full swing.Anthony was left with no choice.A sad,sad state of affairs.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 16/11/2015 18:01:58    1807682

Link

The player power thing is gone too far. A team who have had multiple changes of success and bottled it everytime then come along and blame the manager for it.

What's also funny is no team has ever benefited from these kinds of action. Cork are only now recovering from it and the same with limerick.

costm (Laois) - Posts: 92 - 16/11/2015 18:35:22    1807695

Link

Agree Cuederocket 100%. Sad state of affairs . Those so called players need to take a good hard look at their 2nd half performance against Kilkenny. It's not Cunninghams fault they were beaten for 50:50 balls. Big players stand up to be counted when the going gets tough. Galways so called big players go missing time and time again when the chips are down . Then they come back 2 months later and want to oust the management . Wake up Galway players and start playing for the jersey your wearing . Show some heart, bottle , will to win .

Awwwwnow (Cavan) - Posts: 1050 - 16/11/2015 18:39:49    1807697

Link

I personally hope this current crop of Galway players never win an All Ireland as a result of how they treated Anthony Cunningham. He had the backing of the clubs, Boards and it seems everyone else other than the players. Can't see a high profile manager taking them over in the near future after this. Cunningham was dead righ to say what he did.

LakemenAbu (Westmeath) - Posts: 134 - 16/11/2015 18:58:08    1807703

Link

Fair dues to Anthony Cunningham, managed to keep his dignity whilst still lobbing a couple of pointed grenades at a well known duo players who everyone knows were at the heart of this heave, love the line about and I'm paraphrasing here, "players looking to prolong their inter county careers and not interested in the good of Galway hurling". Joe Brolly's article in yesterday's Sunday Independent is worth reading in the light of the latest developments in Galway. The GPA has become a body with ridiculous notions of its own importance, inter-county players thinking that they can dictate who their manager is and issuing statements to basically blackmail a man out of his job. Anthony Cunningham's service to Galway GAA over the past thirty plus years has been incredible, a list of achievements that the current players can only dream of, his workload for those players has been phenomenal since 2012 and the 23 players who indicated that they would refuse to play under his management should be utterly ashamed of their cowardly actions. The GPA'S role in this cannot be overlooked, they have become extremely divisive within an Association known for its unity, players at that level seem to believe that they are elite athletes entitled to a wide range of benefits. Sean Potty, a key member of the GPA issued an embarrassing statement last week criticising the GAA and the excellent documentary about All Ireland final day, a sad day for the GAA.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 16/11/2015 19:03:19    1807705

Link

I agree lakemen.I was at both the 2012 and 2015 finals roaring Galway on.I said it quite a few times how much i admired A Cunningham.The way he approached N McGrath immediately after beating Tipperary showed the kind of dignified man he is.As long as theres a certain few of these Galway players togging out i wont be rowing in behind them again.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 16/11/2015 19:06:45    1807707

Link

Sad to see how the players voted on the issue. The new manager should cut twelve to fourteen of those who voted, the fringe element, and replace them with players of his own choosing to guarantee a majority support on all future player issues. Beats me how players who may not even be around in 2016 can pick the manager.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 749 - 16/11/2015 19:17:52    1807708

Link

Really shameful way Anthony has been treated by the players. They will struggle to find a more decent or capable replacement. Admired his statement, no pulling back and important to give the message about the dark forces behind the scene here. Strikes me that a whole bunch of these players have behaved like sheep and have been overly influenced by a few malcontents.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 214 - 16/11/2015 19:39:35    1807712

Link

As much as some people might try to say otherwise, the GPA are the ones who have brought around this player power thing.

As someone else has pointed out the GPA have filled players heads with ideas of self intitlement and importance. Players now feel like they can do whatever they like. In the last 10 years how many teams have we seen go on strike or force management out? How many of these teams ever gave actual reasons for their actions?

costm (Laois) - Posts: 92 - 16/11/2015 19:42:52    1807713

Link

Of all the heaves in recent years this one is the ugliest and consequently may do most damage.
A county that hasn't won an All Ireland in 27 years gets beaten by a few points by the greatest hurling machine ever and they ambush their manager.

I'd say 90% of GAA followers are disgusted with the player's stance and it will be years before Galway will enjoy the sort of phenomenal support they got this year inside and outside the county.
In fact I'd say if they had to play even Kilkenny in the morning, the whole country would be hoping Cody would inflict a biblical hiding on them.

Joe Canning is taking a monumental gamble here and it could blow up spectacularly on him.
Anthony Cunningham wasn't the reason Joe barely pucked a ball in the 2nd half

Catmandu (Dublin) - Posts: 6 - 16/11/2015 19:43:50    1807714

Link

Disgraceful treatment of a loyal Galway hurling man, who will want this job now?? The nomiimation process will be interesting

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 16/11/2015 20:00:07    1807720

Link

Don't know the finer details of what was this bunches grievance with Cunningham but from what I seen in this years final they can only look at themselves.It was there for the taking and they just couldn't get the job done.Blaming the manager is a desperate measure it would appear from a desperate group of players who don't look like they will ever win an AI and don't think too many people will be too bothered for them after this.Anthony Cunningham has two AI medals and probably two more than these lads will finish with.

SLLY (Dublin) - Posts: 463 - 16/11/2015 20:10:40    1807726

Link

Desperately sad to see. Really feel for him.

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 593 - 16/11/2015 20:27:42    1807731

Link

A sad state of affairs for all involved. Cunningham has always struck me as a passionate yet dignified GAA man. Have the players really thought this through? Who do they want to manage them???

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 16/11/2015 20:46:15    1807738

Link

There is more support for Anthony than the players in Galway.

What is happening in the gaa? The GPA and inter-count players think they are the only show in town. In no other sport do the players think they should pick the manager.

We all know there are a few senior players that should be cut loose that will now be part of selecting teh next manager. Mad stuff.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 935 - 17/11/2015 08:23:02    1807753

Link

What's also funny is no team has ever benefited from these kinds of action. Cork are only now recovering from it and the same with limerick.

I disagree about Limerick. I'm not one for player power and thought Justin McCarthy a great hurling man but the actions taken by all sides in 2010 paved the way for better days from 2011-2014. 2015 was the first year where standards dropped since then. Some good could come out of this for Galway, in that this bunch of players will now have nowhere to hide and if dropped or if they lose, they can't go pointing the finger at anyone again.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6480 - 17/11/2015 08:31:30    1807755

Link

Well said cuederocket. Cunningham behaved with more dignity than the 26 players who wanted him out. He also has 2 senior All-Ireland medals which is 2 more than that shower are likely to win.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 859 - 17/11/2015 08:49:22    1807759

Link

A noticeable amount of galway lads who took such joy in the mayo debacle, have had little to say on this topic. Same old story with the galway lads, always a different story when it is themselves involved.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 17/11/2015 08:57:20    1807765

Link

The so called senior players that instigated this heave are a disgrace.. I have been a loyal follower oF Galway teams for years and I am shocked and saddened by how Anthony has been treated. I really wanted him to stick it out as I believe the county board were going to rafify him again last night before the players took their vote.. The few senior players knew their time was up and it was them who were to blame for the sides collapse in the second half of the All Irelnad. Shame on them everyone in the county know who they are!!

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 17/11/2015 08:58:39    1807766

Link

I wonder would A C like this group of players to win an All Ireland over next few years.Maybe when the dust has settled but,like what happened in Cork a decade ago,the ramifications of which can be felt to this day,this may cause a few nasty divides in the county,which could linger and destabilise the county going forward.If a whole county is not pulling in the same direction,it makes it all the harder for top honours.A huge amount of goodwill is gone now,most neutrals like myself will hope to see ye well beaten.Oh Galway players,what have ye done?

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 17/11/2015 09:03:03    1807770

Link