National Forum

Rochford for Mayo

(Oldest Posts First)

Heard from a very realiable source that Corofin manager Stephen Rochford has been approached for the Mayo job and that he'll be taking Alan Flynn with him should he get it , not the first time the pair have worked together , could he do what he did with Corofin and claim an all Ireland title with Mayo?

SpionKop (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 02/10/2015 21:22:17    1795329

Link

Highly doubtful.. Corofin have the players, not just 1-15 but 1-30, plus massive difference between club and county. Mayo are still 3/4 players away from an All Ireland winning team

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 05/10/2015 10:22:15    1795828

Link

Why would that make it highly doubtful though? You have just told us what corofin have, what does that prove? Are you saying he isn't that good and anyone could have won the AI with them? Remind me, how long was it before this famous '1 to 30' won the AI before he arrived?

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 05/10/2015 10:26:16    1795830

Link

Mayo have a great chance next year. I don't think this coup will negatively impact on them at all as long as they get the right calibre of candidate in.

If Rochford is the man then you'd have to give Mayo an excellent chance next year. Both Kerry and Dublin will probably be on the other side of the draw from Mayo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13719 - 05/10/2015 10:30:31    1795835

Link

TheMaster
County: Mayo

1795830 Why would that make it highly doubtful though? ( because Mayo have consistently failed and haven't won an All Ireland since 1951) You have just told us what corofin have, what does that prove? ( It proves that in order to win an All Ireland you need a squad of 30 and any of whom can do the job on big days, something that Corofin proved all last year) Are you saying he isn't that good and anyone could have won the AI with them? ( No I never said that , are you trying to imply it?) Remind me, how long was it before this famous '1 to 30' won the AI before he arrived? ( not since 1998, still a bit off 1951)

No I am not saying he isn't that good, he is actually a very good coach, what I am saying is that we have an excellent squad and great back up to the starting 15, Mayo as proved over the last number of years do not have a squad and are a number of players short.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 05/10/2015 10:58:27    1795854

Link

Donegal had an even smaller squad... They won an AI.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 05/10/2015 11:00:01    1795856

Link

It's not the managers costing Mayo - yes there has been certain decisions

IMO it's more down to this

It's the fact that they are having to over reach year after year with a shallow panel and lack of options, when you play the best this is when Mayo become exposed

After a while you'll not be able to grab what you want despite your best effort to reach it

Moving AOS into the forwards speaks volumes - lack of options and you have to resort to moving in arguably the best midfielder in the country to play as a long ball target man, worked fine against weaker teams but was found out, and Mayo became very one dimensional

But listen..

Best of luck to whoever comes in - they do indeed have a very good chance of reaching a final in 2016

But we'll have to see... Higgins getting skint like that, is he coming down from his peak, Mayo have been performing at a high level now for some time, it's only natural that keeping that momentum up with the same faces is very difficult, can anyone else in Connacht improve to trouble them - maybe.. but probably not, not if Mayo come back to the same level

They'll avoid Dublin and Kerry - It was always a very big ask in 2015 the way the draw worked out

In saying that - Tyrone look to be building again and at this stage would be my favs to win Ulster and progress to a semi-final

Tyrone looked very good in the closing stages in 2015

If they had a little more quality up front, one out and out forward, they'd be a very dangerous team - if they can find that bit extra on that front

You're looking at a very good Tyrone team who will be very difficult to beat

All to play for... but the way it's falling in 2016 when you factor in Dublin going for back to backs and Kerry perhaps losing a number of players and being exposed in certain areas - it will be that bit harder for both panels

Unless injuries come about.. which could have a massive effect on this Mayo team given their lack of options, Mayo do indeed have every chance and they'll sit comfortably once again in the top 3 teams, but lose a couple of key players... I think out of the top 3 teams this would have the worst impact on Mayo.

It all depends if a new manger will want to try new things, and will that take time to implement, does that mean using the league to try out new ideas, that might mean losing a number of games before it comes right - so patience will be required and given the fact that the Myao players forced this change that might bring added pressure

It will be very interesting to see

An intriguing 2016 lays ahead

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20601 - 05/10/2015 11:04:38    1795860

Link

TheMaster

1795856 Donegal had an even smaller squad... They won an AI.

You always come back to the Donegal team.. Yes they did! They had an excellent manager and a strong team, with 6 excellent forwards, no weak links!!

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 05/10/2015 13:21:21    1795959

Link

Belclare1
County: Galway

1795959 TheMaster

1795856 Donegal had an even smaller squad... They won an AI.

You always come back to the Donegal team.. Yes they did! They had an excellent manager and a strong team, with 6 excellent forwards, no weak links!!

______

And an incredibly efficient system of play that utilised the maximum potential of their smaller panel

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20601 - 05/10/2015 13:25:02    1795960

Link