National Forum

Captain leader legend icon JBM the KING

(Oldest Posts First)

Cant belive jimmy is gone and just want to say while we have had some maestros in cork hurling in my time none stand this mans equal.Really gutted as this is the end of a era five hurling ai one football a goal against galway in that final that was coolness personified and one against kk which gave us 3 in a row these moments will never be forgotton .Took over in 96 and took a serious pasting by limerick but yet again the man delivered us to the holy grail in 99 and only for a timekeeping error would have delivered again in 13.The man was and is the king and will always be my hero so to jbm i say this thank you for everything you have given our great county many are called but only few are chosen without doubt jimmy was chosen all the best for the future jimmy you are simply captain leader legend icon YOU ARE SIMPLY THE KING

blackrockeddie (Cork) - Posts: 160 - 30/08/2015 11:28:57    1777887

Link

Well said. None stands his equal. In my book the greatest legend in GAA for the diversity of his achievement and the manner in which it was achieved. Well done Jimmy.

gaillimh73 (Galway) - Posts: 669 - 30/08/2015 12:14:44    1777905

Link

I have to say even though he broke our hearts in the 86 Munster Final he was a gentleman on and off the field.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 30/08/2015 12:25:06    1777908

Link

You ruined that post with your reference to the timekeeping error. It makes you sound petty. One of JBMs greatest traits was that when he won or lost, he was equally humble and gracious. People rightly praise him for his class on and off the field. If he is your hero, then you should learn from him and adopt that trait.

Anyway to clarify, first of all there was no error as it is a minimum of two minutes - not exactly two minutes. Second of all Clare were much much better on the day and overall and thoroughly deserved to be All-Ireland champions. Move on and get over it!

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 30/08/2015 13:24:43    1777928

Link

Jimmy lived a few doors from me growing up. I can still remember him as a child endlessly hitting the ball left & right across the road bouncing it off walls and pavement stone. Grew up to be a great sportsman but more importantly a great man. Only time I meet him now is at a funeral of an old neighbour, he will always recognize me and come over and say hello. But its not just with me, he is the same with everybody, just a genuinely decent bloke. In many ways I always felt he was "too nice" for hurling Management but he did manage us to win a Title in 1999 so fair credit to him for that.Thanks for all the memories Jimmy you were one of the very best.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 30/08/2015 13:26:55    1777929

Link

well said eddie we have had our disagreements in the past but i endorse everything you said about the icon that is jbm.it is a sad day in many ways but time and tide wait for no man.like you said i seen the goal against galway in the final and it was sheer class as was the one in hurling also against galway i think it was 1983 dont quote me on that though again sheer class.i personally would like to thank jimmy for the memorys he gave me as a cork fan most coming from him so thank you jimmy gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN.THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING

monkstownrebel1 (Cork) - Posts: 351 - 30/08/2015 14:25:55    1777945

Link

Bennybunny im not going to get into a arguement but i am just going to point something out to you and if you wish to reply you will be having the last word as quite frankly of all days im not in the mood for your tantrums.i have never said clare were not better in the two games never.what i said is that cork despite been outplayed were in front when the two minutes were up that is a fact.a fact which jimmy also said after the defeat to galway 3 weeks ago a timekeeping error cost us jimmys words.now if that game was tied do you think the ref would have played on?no neither do i.now its over and done with benny so reply or leave it iv said my peace

blackrockeddie (Cork) - Posts: 160 - 30/08/2015 14:49:40    1777953

Link

I was full sure after listening to Jimmys post game interview v Galway,that we wouldn't have the pleasure of seeing him patrol the sideline again.Although he replied "cannot wait" to the question of whether he would be there next year,it seemed apparent to me that this was said in jest.I felt he had enough and posted as much the same time.It comes as no surprise to me that Jimmy has confirmed his departure.A sad way to depart,but at the end of the year,there can only be one winner.Cork were nnot good enough,and im sure Jimmy knows that better than most.He really is a genuine legend of GAA.Such a decent,respectful and genuine man,which earns him respect from all quarters.Jimmys legacy will never be forgotten.Jimmys gone,but Cork will be back.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 30/08/2015 19:12:08    1778261

Link

A legend and a gentleman.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 30/08/2015 19:59:04    1778317

Link

I recall that first championship game when he took over. Limerick were 1-5 to 0-7 down at half time and we obliterated Cork in the second half. We rained ball after ball down on their full back line and they couldn't cope with it. Cork 1-8 Limerick 3-18. Jimmy Barry looked a bit shell shocked in the cork Dug out.

To go from there to All-Ireland champions in three years was a massive achievement. He took Cork hurling by the scruff of the neck and went with a game plan that was new to them and to hurling in general. I thought Kilkenny would massacre Cork in the 99 final, but there had been signs that cork were building. They were much the better side than us in the Gaelic Grounds in 1998, had a mighty tussle with Clare that year, then beat them in the Munster Final also. They got past the 1998 All-Ireland champions Offaly before finally beating Kilkenny. Then in 2000 they played a great Munster Final v Tipp coming out on top by two points in a mighty game of hurling.

In his second tenure he wasn't as successful but did his best to keep an average Cork side in touch with the elite, landing a notable Munster title.

All that added to his class as a player, he's a big loss to the game. For some reason I don't think he is like Allen or O'Grady and I don't see him managing another side. That said, I think he would be a good fit for Limerick :-) Won't happen though.

The overhead pull v Galway in the 83 All-Ireland Semi and the goal in the replay in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in 1983 that broke our hearts - some of my earliest memories of hurling. He was the type of hurler most kids wanted to be. The fact he was a lethal footballer too marks him down as one of the all time greats of the GAA.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6480 - 31/08/2015 11:32:38    1778789

Link

I have seen 43 Munster finals and almost as many All Ireland finals. If I was to pick a team of the best players I have every seen JBM would be first name down. Peerless.

onlyhurling (Galway) - Posts: 800 - 31/08/2015 13:53:46    1778969

Link

Jbm seems like a through gentleman and is one of the few GAA men universally admired and respected all over the country, I wish him well in his retirement.

I'm going to espouse a controversial view here to Cork fans but I think it's a valid question; do ye think his hero-worship in Cork gave him an immunity from criticism that wasn't afforded some of his predecessors?

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 31/08/2015 19:08:05    1779331

Link