National Forum

Question for Tyrone lads here

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There are so many threads now all discussing the same thing in roundabout ways, but I want one just to get as many of ye together to see what the general consensus is.

Tyrone lads, many of whom I know on here for years, over a decade, and I have huge regard for, tell me this; Do ye think Tyrone are the victims of a southern witch hunt and a media contrived assassination? Do ye think maybe Tyrone players and management have over the years as a collective brought this on themselves with their tactics and behavior? Would ye accept that Tyrone fans and players have on occasion, more than rarely, over stepped the line of whats acceptable or not acceptable by GAA norms?
Can ye see why many people see Tyrone as possibly a negative force in GAA when u see so many stories from minor, thru to 21's, IC and even club football?

No county is full of angels, no county is whiter than white, we all have our bad eggs and our shameful acts, but it does seem disproportionate with Tyrone, for a while now.

Can ye accept these points and address them, or do you think I am way OTT and talking out my arse? :)

Thanks lads.

LW

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 22/05/2015 14:49:14    1727096

Link

as a neutral who would be sympathetic to the abuse tyrone receive..i think most of it is largely overblown...success breeds jealousy and tyrone have had a lot of it over the last decade upsetting quite a few of the establishment counties on the way..they have now become an easy target to take shots at even easier then the dubs which is hard to believe

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 22/05/2015 14:56:38    1727105

Link

Uh oh... This will start a heated debate.

Donegal_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 37 - 22/05/2015 14:56:40    1727106

Link

yeah the whole ulster/tyrone thing has gotten even worse over the last few years i think in terms of the hatred towards them

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 22/05/2015 14:59:46    1727107

Link

Liam throws the grenade :-)

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 22/05/2015 15:01:23    1727110

Link

Yep, we're bad eggs. End off story, accept it , move on

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 22/05/2015 15:04:03    1727112

Link

fabio...if thats the case, why are these stories not a stream of stories coming out of Kerry and Dublin? God knows we have had our "issues" in the past, with kicks to the head, biting incidents, fan trouble on the Hill, but never the same level of concentration as Tyrone in the last few years if you get me? Thee just seems to be so many incidents in recent years attaching themselves to Tyrone and I wonder how the Tyrone lads feel. I saw a comment from Tyrone fan Duke yesterday where he kinda admitted to there maybe being an issue that needs to be dealt with in Tyrone.
I have to be honest, legend that he is, gentleman that he seems to be, GAA icon that will always be, I kinda wonder does Mickey Harte speak out of both sides of him mouth??

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 22/05/2015 15:05:25    1727115

Link

cacsmckilly
County: Tyrone

1727112 Yep, we're bad eggs. End off story, accept it , move on

P.S you should come see a few of our clubs matches, holy molie, leave your kids at home

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 22/05/2015 15:08:04    1727117

Link

Sports media, especially GAA, is all about the narrative.

The narrative at the moment is that Tyrone are the big bad bullies. Stories are sought out to reflect that. The narrative must be fed.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 22/05/2015 15:10:39    1727120

Link

The accusation that came out yesterday certainly puts Tyrone on the back foot - as such I think that now is not necessarily the best time to objectively ask or answer this question. Some would call it kicking a man when he is down.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 22/05/2015 15:12:31    1727122

Link

First of all, yesterdays accusation, is an accusation and thats all. If this is true, i have spoke to some our minors and they strongly refute this then surely donegal should go through the proper channels. Bonner has a history of talking crap in the media.

We have brought stuff on ourselves. Success brought a fanbase of idiots with it and i have actually ahd to tell some of our supporters (mainly woman and old men) to button it at times can be cringeworthy. I cant comment on other counties to that regard but donegal certainly had plenty of their own sunday for i imagine the same reason.

When we were flying high no one could say anything because we just waved the trphies in their faces but now we are there for the taking as have slipped back so far. Add to that mr brolly and spillanes hatred churned out every week and definately some biased media and anything against tyrone seems to sell.

There is very little we can do about it but why oh why do mickey harte and sean cavanagh feel the need to comment on anything outside of tyrone football i dont know. does not help us in anyway.

We are changing everything regarding underage coaching at the minute and looking to the future again. All we can do is try teach our youngsters the correct way and hope it produces gentleman the likes of Cormac McAnallen.

The spotlights on us but we will percievere

redhanddefender (Tyrone) - Posts: 913 - 22/05/2015 15:26:43    1727130

Link

I think things have escalated ever since the Sean Cavanagh/Joe Brolly fiasco and this year in particular the stick really has taken on a new level. The Minors, Under 21's and Seniors all have taken a fair bit of stick over the last couple of months in particular, granted some of it may be merited if the accusations coming from the Donegal minor camp are true. I don't believe there is a southern media witch-hunt against Tyrone either however i did agree with Fergal Logan in saying that the Under 21 team didn't get enough credit for winning the All-Ireland a couple of weeks back.

Overall id say Tyrone Gaels will be happy with the state of Gaelic Games in their county. Seniors put up a good performance against Donegal, The Under 21's are All-Ireland champions, The minors were beaten by a very strong Donegal team who are probably 2nd/3rd best minor team in the country, the senior hurlers are in the Nicky Rackard semi final and the state of club football in the county is very strong.

So_it_is (Fermanagh) - Posts: 40 - 22/05/2015 15:30:44    1727134

Link

i agree with with mesamis liam in that the narrative has been formed...look at the embaressing coverage the row in that derrytresk game got a few years ago..in reality countless incidents like this and worse have happened up and down the country...the other biggest incident involved sean cavanagh bringing a player down..what did the man actually do wrong?..he committed a blatant foul and was booked for it....in the u21 final mcshane was the player receiving more abuse than anybody else..think of how many of these incidents hold any sort of weight in reality and how many are actually overblown?..or the most famous 1 is tyrone playing a new style of football which somehow makes them evil based on the words of 1 pundit known for making silly statements..

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 22/05/2015 15:36:52    1727140

Link

As a dub you should well know about taking flack from those that oppose your very existence. From calls to split your county in two,the biting allegations, begrudgery to your players getting cars/sponsorship etc. It has all been slung at the Dubs over last few years also. Mostly from "culchies" lol. Difference here is that Dublin is the nations capital and the Dubs are such a huge part of gaa tradition and revenue. Simple as that really. Whereas Tyrone are outside the jurisdiction of the republic,viewed as upstarts by winning too many titles in the last decade and we are not a huge part of gaa tradition and history. It's laughable too that many of those that hold us to ridicule are the rugby loving elites in the beloved republic that would have yez back in the UK in a heartbeat if they could. Tyrone are coming in for unfair criticism cos these people and certain gaa folk,shame on them,want to bury Tyrone and not have them raise their heads up again for a very long time. Had Donegal won last year they would undoubtedly be taking some more heat now too cos of being an Ulster side and because of the way they play. It would have been less vicious though cos they are in the republic and they have Daniel O' Donnell :) Would have been the same abuse directed at Armagh had they had the gall to grab a few more titles also.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 22/05/2015 15:45:45    1727148

Link

Fair play to ye lads for the responses. Balanced, fair and honest. I cant ask for more.

I would love to hear what people like Thomas Clarke, Big Sacks and Brend think, if ye are there lads?
Thanks

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 22/05/2015 15:55:38    1727156

Link

http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/05/exclusive-allegations-not-true/

Now Liam let me ask you do you think there is any slight chance of a bias against tyrone, any chance and the media are all over us!

redhanddefender (Tyrone) - Posts: 913 - 22/05/2015 16:38:44    1727180

Link

What is the crack with all of these similiar themed threads?Tyrone never caused me offence.Nor any other county for that matter.There will always be individual disciplinary issues in all counties but castigating a whole county or province is silly stuff.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 22/05/2015 16:41:50    1727181

Link

Would you's ever get the f*** off our backs, its little wonder we come out fighting when we are constantly harassed on message boards like this and demonised in the press. just give it a f****** rest Liam would you!!!

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 22/05/2015 16:44:55    1727183

Link

The media have had it in for Tyrone and Ulster football in general ever since that famous 2003 match against Kerry when Tyrone bullied Kerry up and down the field. Anything Tyrone does will be blown out of all proportion by lazy journalists trying to sell papers. The Southern sides particularly Kerry are just as physical and negative in the big games yet nothing much gets made of it.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1799 - 22/05/2015 16:48:51    1727186

Link

redhanddefender
County: Tyrone

1727180 http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/05/exclusive-allegations-not-true/

Now Liam let me ask you do you think there is any slight chance of a bias against tyrone, any chance and the media are all over us!

In fairness.. this only came out because of a fellow Ulsterman

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 22/05/2015 16:56:24    1727191

Link