National Forum

Sunday Game negativity

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

After 8 months of waiting, it's here. 3.15pm on 17th May, the first Sunday Game of the 2015 Championship. Michael Lyster sets the scene and introduces his guests. And then it goes wrong...

The very first words out of Colm O'Rourke's mouth were to bemoan the state of the game, saying that we'd be lucky to get about 2 good games this summer. Next up was Joe Brolly, who more-or-less backed him up. To be fair to the oft-maligned Pat Spillane, he tried to introduce some positive vibes, but the negative tone for the year had already been set.

I contrast this with how SKY handle the start of the Premiership or Heineken Cup rugby, or the phenomenal sales job that all the US networks do to promote their national sports. Just about any sport, really. I mean, could you imagine the BBC starting their Olympic or World Cup coverage by saying 'We'll be lucky to get a couple of exciting moments this year'? Talk about buzz-kill.

Despite being handed the country's biggest sporting cash cow on a plate, RTE do nothing to promote or market gaelic games. They treat our sports as lesser citizens on the news, and criticise it at every turn on their programmes. It's about time the GAA put it to RTE and their flagship Sunday afternoon show that there needs to be less moaning and much more enthusiasm about the entertainment on view - in the current media age, there are many other options out there.

Thomas Clarke (Tyrone) - Posts: 1002 - 19/05/2015 09:54:53    1725308

Link

I understand your point. But the thing you have to consider is, are they right or are they wrong? If they are right, then what is the point of wanting to be fooled? Id rather them give their honest opinion that become used car salesmen.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 19/05/2015 10:36:37    1725329

Link

TheMaster
County: Mayo

1725329 I understand your point. But the thing you have to consider is, are they right or are they wrong? If they are right, then what is the point of wanting to be fooled? Id rather them give their honest opinion that become used car salesmen.

100% agree with Thomas Clarke, if this was Irish rugby they'd be wetting themselves in anticipation.

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 19/05/2015 10:43:12    1725334

Link

But I mean what do you expect, it's always been the case with them, I timed my race perfectly, got in just as the ref was picking up the ball for throw in. I did listen to a bit of the h/t analysis for fun and because of all the pushing and shoving, but again they just told me back everything I'd just seen, analysis really isn't all that interesting, not for me anyway.

Now I understand if your own county is playing it's more interesting, I play a lot more attention when Meath are playing for example because you want to see the game from as many aspects as possible but for the neutral I just want to see the game, the opinions of Spillane, O'Rourke and Brolly etc don't really interest me.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 19/05/2015 10:46:13    1725336

Link

In my view Gaelic football has never been better. The players are fitter, more skillful and great value for money. RTE sport and society in general seem to have made their minds up to back Rugby and hurling. The GAA does not need the Sunday game anymore in my opinion. It helps Irish rugby when companies like Guinness and Bank of Ireland are backing you. I would axe O Rourke, Brolly and Spillane as they are whingers. What does the GAA sponsors think when they see and hear the tripe that O Rourke comes out with? Sack him from RTE I say ( for the sponsors sake).

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2519 - 19/05/2015 11:02:16    1725348

Link

I agree about the negativity it is getting to ridiculous proportions but people are lapping the negativity up, it stimulates debate and makes reputations for anyone who is willing to be the most controversial or attack the players personally and people still tune in every week. Until people start voting with their feet (Metaphorically) and turn away from this negativity it is all we'll get. You have people harking back to a bygone era which may or may not have been better but surely 'It was better in my day' is not constructive or in depth analysis.

Teams are more professional than ever and as a result this brings a win at all costs mentality and whilst there'll be some horrible mis matches this summer the games at the upper echelons are close and competitive, it may not be the free flowing spectacle we are led to believe is the holy grail but you have 6-8 teams who are competitive and whilst the cream does rise to the top to quote Mr Spillane the teams most able to adapt to professional practices will be successful.

If the analysts and media have the morals of an alley cat when it comes to criticizing teams and players it filters down to the players hence the goading, sledging and unsightly aspects of professionalism which are taking over. It happens in all professional sport yet other media outlets tend to promote the good aspects rather than focus on the negativity.

Football still has us tuning in every week and whilst it has the power to enthral us all for a summer people will watch but until the wider media decides our games are worth something this negativity will continue. We have drugs cheats in athletics, soccer is dominated my a select few bankrolled by oligarchs, rugby is generally elitist yet they all sell their products it seems there is something in the Irish psyche which prevents us as a country from appreciating what we have and all our summers would be much duller if we didn't have the GAA championships.

duckula20 (Antrim) - Posts: 175 - 19/05/2015 11:05:26    1725352

Link

brendtheredhand
So what you are saying is, we are not sufficiently intelligent or savvy enough to make up our own minds, we need to be told by the 'experts' from the outset!

100% agree with Thomas Clarke, if this was Irish rugby they'd be wetting themselves in anticipation.

No, Im saying that in the job these guys are paid to do, Id rather they did it honestly, rather than spin us a load of rubbish about it. If they are honest and completely wrong then that is different, that would mean they aren't good enough as a pundit. But if they are honest and right, surely that can only be a good thing? I just don't get this thing of giving out about guys for telling the truth, and saying we would rather they talked it up, without any consideration given to the possibility of them being right or not.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 19/05/2015 11:14:48    1725365

Link

Nice to see early doors and Ulster Defence hatches have been hoisted well and truly in the air , one game in and the need to be loved is out already . I personnaly find the Sky coverage the one that insults , that was intriguing [ rubbish ] , not one of his better ones [ he had a mare ] . TSG has all types call it as it is and don't need to put spin on everything , really enjoyed it .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/05/2015 11:17:05    1725367

Link

Master
County: Mayo

No, Im saying that in the job these guys are paid to do, Id rather they did it honestly, rather than spin us a load of rubbish about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've all been convinced that watching grown men kick a ball around a field is a pastime worth consuming a large portion of our spare time, so don't be so naive as to think that you haven't already had a sales job done on you.

As for TSG, I have no issue with negative opinions being expressed in appropriate ways/quantities, but to kick off the season's coverage with a slating of the state of the game is totally unnecessary. People do want hype and excitement, as that is a large part of what sport is about. Look at SKY, or ESPN, or any other major sports network. Do they hype their events for the sake of it? No, they do it because that is what the public respond to. For example, Gary Neville is a vastly superior analyst in his chosen field that Brolly/O'Rourke are in theirs, because he is capable of balancing honesty with enthusiasm. He certainly wouldn't last long in his job if he opened the premiership season by saying that viewers would be lucky to see much in the way of entertainment this year.

The GAA deserves and should insist on better. Perhaps it's time for them to follow the NFL model by start their own television network, and selling their own advertising space. RTE add nothing to the product.

Thomas Clarke (Tyrone) - Posts: 1002 - 19/05/2015 11:37:23    1725384

Link

The Difference between them telling the truth is in the eyes of the viewer. I see these old bucks who no longer understand football or in Brollys case just want to saying something to be in the newspapers the following day.
Put it this way I much more enjoyed the brief analysis of whelan, o se and Coulter in the night time. Atleast they could shed some light on what its like to play the game nowadays and they were able to atleast highlight some positives.

The fact that what these men are saying is true isnt the debate they should hire people who can atleast comment on the positives instead of wasting everyones time with cliches and rubbish analysis. I would add a few others into the group with them aswell. For instance I dislike McHugh as an analyst also.

Get rid of these old guard and get in ex players who care more about the game than making headlines.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1209 - 19/05/2015 11:43:06    1725387

Link

The greatest pundit of them all was enda collaran , a man who had been there done that and was retired quite awhile but still at his best. Fair balanced not afraid to criticize or praise, he took up on the points that mattered to me as a viewer , he has never been equalled never mind been surpassed. As for Whelan and them? Ahh give me a break . Remind me how many all ire medals has coulter or Whelan got between them?

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/05/2015 12:13:31    1725415

Link

So what you are saying is, we are not sufficiently intelligent or savvy enough to make up our own minds, we need to be told by the 'experts' from the outset!

Well show some of this intelligence and trun the game on at throw in if their opinion is neither wanted or valid???? Sounds like coming on to a public forum and complaining is exactly what you yourself are complaining about!!!!!

DoireCityFC (Derry) - Posts: 1580 - 19/05/2015 12:27:24    1725423

Link

How many All-Irelands have you Royaldunne?

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12120 - 19/05/2015 12:38:55    1725433

Link

Out with old, in with the new. Would love to see Philip Jordan, Declan O'Sullivan, Wooly Parkinson and Padraig Joyce as analylists

HughHunt24 (Cork) - Posts: 841 - 19/05/2015 12:48:42    1725441

Link

I don't think The Sunday Game is half as negative as the Hoganstand forum, every day there's a new thread started moaning about something!

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 19/05/2015 12:58:03    1725449

Link

HughHunt24
County: Cork

1725441 Out with old, in with the new. Would love to see Philip Jordan, Declan O'Sullivan, Wooly Parkinson and Padraig Joyce as analylists
Hugh theres a whole raft of potential analysts out there who would bring a modern slant to the game and an altogether more positive outlook, they say football is dying, I think football coverage is the one that will soon be administered that last rites.

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 19/05/2015 12:59:15    1725451

Link

The Master - Colm O' Rourke and Spillane are actually incapable of analysing a match - all they do is summarize a game . They were great players but before and at half time , they simply summarize the game . They are not able to say what might happen and never discuss tactics . Don't know why RTE persist with them . Bring Whelan and O' Se etc and more younger panellists . O' Rourke is depressing !

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 19/05/2015 13:00:01    1725452

Link

HughHunt24
County: Cork

Out with old, in with the new. Would love to see Philip Jordan, Declan O'Sullivan, Wooly Parkinson and Padraig Joyce as analylists.

DV also, he was probably the only pundit who guaranteed Donegal would beat Dublin last summer!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9136 - 19/05/2015 13:06:27    1725454

Link

turkeyplucker
County: UK

1725449 I don't think The Sunday Game is half as negative as the Hoganstand forum, every day there's a new thread started moaning about something!

Agree 100% , the problem on this forum is that its OK to be negative about others but few like to look in the mirror . TSG Ive disagreed and agreed with pundits in equal measure . My own favourite was Anthony Tohill and feel C Whelan is getting there .
The games are played in a negative way or positive way , you can and should comment on what you see . Last years semi finals aside it wasn't a great championship and cant blame some being pessimistic , myself spring/summer at the moment my glass is half full , hope it turns out Im right .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/05/2015 13:11:12    1725457

Link

Bref more than Whelan has :).

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/05/2015 13:11:30    1725458

Link