National Forum

Talent loss and AFL recruitment

(Oldest Posts First)

Interesting article -

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=229271

I figured it was only a matter of time before our guys started to make it over there. Home sickness isn't the same issue with skype and technology.

Kildare have lost taking them from being competitive in Leinster to being a out of the picture. What county could cope with losing 3 of their best talents.

Down would have been in the mix for Ulster titles if Caolan Mooney and Marty Clarke were around the past few years.

The loss of Setanta could have cost Cork an All Ireland, similarly Pearse Hanley with Mayo.

Recent recruitment has likely changed the All Ireland winner a number of years. That is a serious impact.

One club Carlton have 3 GAA lads and are looking to add to that number.. If other clubs follow suit we'll be haemorrhaging serious talent which will have a negative impact on attendances, interest and revenue.

Obviously the players are amateur and have every right to try their hand at the AFL but the GAA should see this threat and deal with it.

Professionalism isn't an option but payers should be assisted in every way to maximise their profiles. Building social media profiles leads to brand ambassador opportunities. Higher profile makes them much more attractive to employeers. Sponsored education is another avenue that can be explored more. Spot the top talents and employ them as part time coaches while in college, they are special talents that many other sports would kill for. Let them know they are appreciated and facilitate them in reaching their potential.

I think the old fuddy duddys at the top of the GAA need to realise thy are out of their depth on this one. They are grand for building stadia but they've been a marketing failure for years. It's time to engage professional marketing companies and ideally young members with with the ideas, skills, a passion for our games and a drive to make them a better place for the player.

It's only a matter of time before the provincial rugby teams start recruiting and cross training our best inter county minors and presenting them with a much more attractive option to jump ship to than the AFL. The GAA isn't exactly preparing itself for that day.

dahayeser (Cork) - Posts: 337 - 18/12/2014 11:44:46    1679277

Link

I find it strange there isnt a word about this topic, and it is potentially much more detrimental to the gaa than any other sport. We have read over the last week threads and headlines about players transferring from one county to another and the knock on effects of this, but there is active and aggressive recruitment going on in Ireland for the AFl, and it is scarcely mentioned.

Lets not play favorites with what to criticize.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 18/12/2014 17:18:59    1679354

Link

Lads I know it a balls and in fairness we've lost out share to it ( Tadhg Kennelly tommy Walsh Padraig Lucy) and now we hear we might lose 2 of our minors from this year killian Spillane and Michael burns but would any of ye really want to deprive a young fella of playing professional football ? Personally I wouldn't.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 18/12/2014 20:51:00    1679408

Link

KingdomBoy1
County: Kerry

Lads I know it a balls and in fairness we've lost out share to it ( Tadhg Kennelly tommy Walsh Padraig Lucy) and now we hear we might lose 2 of our minors from this year killian Spillane and Michael burns but would any of ye really want to deprive a young fella of playing professional football ? Personally I wouldn't.

so long as you realize that most youngsters dont make it when they head over.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 18/12/2014 21:57:04    1679431

Link

I've tried posting regarding this topic for last few days but the Admin has censored or blocked completed [being honest I know why as certain terminology may be deemed offensive] We have in this country an abundance of talented young men, from a Kerry perspective out of the All Ireland Minor winning panel several attended Tadgh's AFL Boot camp; 2 of these in particular impressed, young Killian Spillane, Tom's son and a nephew of Pat and a Crokes man from Killarney Micheál Burns, Man of the match in the All Ireland Football Final. It is my opinion from both what I have read and what I have heard through conversations with a player who attending one of these camps is that my fellow Kerry man [and I won't say Gaél] is abusing his power and "status" within the Gaa Family for personal gain, he is basically coming [back] over to Ireland and being allowed by the Gaa to strip or cherry pick raw talented young sports men and act as an agent or scout in a professional recruitment drive within an amateur organisation.

The humble club is the hub and heartbeat of the Gaa and volunteers who invest time and effort in training coaching kids from U8 to Minor do so for the love of the game - all this work is then undone by the likes of this "agent" who can just come in and take the nurtured talent - I think this process goes totally against the very ethos of the gaa and the gaa family as a whole. Look what is the Gaa "Mission Statement": "The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting Gaelic Games, culture and lifelong participation." - what Tadgh and his like is doing is in total contrast to the above statement, and therefore he should be ostracised or expelled from the Organisation as a result.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5491 - 19/12/2014 08:34:03    1679439

Link

Donegalman
County: All

so long as you realize that most youngsters dont make it when they head over.

I think there you've stumbled on why most people aren't that bothered by it.

Ultimately most players don't make it and return to their counties so it isn't seen as much of a threat.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 19/12/2014 08:41:13    1679442

Link