National Forum

New York in Feile

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Really magnificent achievement by New York in winning Division 1 Feile in Cavan at the weekend. What a serious team of young athletes. In their five games they outscored opponents by 25 goals and 56 points to 1 goal 16 points. Serious amount of work being done at underage level now bearing fruit. Congratulations to New York Minor Board, the players, coaches and all involved. The challenge will now be to keep all these kids together up to the adult ranks as traditionally there has been a huge fall off from minor up.
With Rockland GAA opening their magnificent new facilities in early July, new playing surface in Gaelic Park, plans to build new facilities in Gaelic Park moving ahead things are looking rosy in the big apple.
Yes there are many problems but it shows with the right people involved and the right attitude great things can happen.
Congratulations to all.

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 26/06/2017 20:45:18    2006010

Link

Fantastic. Would it be feasible for NY to enter the Connacht u-17 championship ?

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 26/06/2017 20:51:16    2006014

Link

surely its time to split New York??
they've a bloody huge pick!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1890 - 26/06/2017 21:29:10    2006033

Link

New York beat Derrynoose in the semi-final of the div 2 cup ladies. New York has a population of 8 million and something like 20 clubs. They pick 30 players from all those clubs. Apparently they had over 200 girls at the trials. They fielded 30 athletes - similar to a county team.

Derrynoose has 300 houses and 19 girls that play football in a rural part of Armagh. An amazing achievement to put it up to the big smoke. The only team to beat them came from outside of Ireland.

New York should have a feile qualifier like every county and one of their clubs should represent New York. Like it's not exactly fair play is it?

Same craic with the boys. A team full of 6 footers!!

DooReg (Armagh) - Posts: 33 - 26/06/2017 22:59:40    2006091

Link

Replying To DooReg:  "New York beat Derrynoose in the semi-final of the div 2 cup ladies. New York has a population of 8 million and something like 20 clubs. They pick 30 players from all those clubs. Apparently they had over 200 girls at the trials. They fielded 30 athletes - similar to a county team.

Derrynoose has 300 houses and 19 girls that play football in a rural part of Armagh. An amazing achievement to put it up to the big smoke. The only team to beat them came from outside of Ireland.

New York should have a feile qualifier like every county and one of their clubs should represent New York. Like it's not exactly fair play is it?

Same craic with the boys. A team full of 6 footers!!"
As far as I know there are three clubs in New York area with all girls U14 teams. All other U14 girls play in mixed teams. New York girls in particular have a very limited pool of players. To say that New York has the pick of eight million people is stretching the facts. But New York teams take the Feile very seriously. They start training specifically for Feile in early December, often traveling long distances twice or three times a week. A large number of parents put in a lot of volunteer hours training them, fundraising, organizing the trip etc. By the time June rolls around the team is well drilled and in great physical shape. I doubt very much if most other teams put in the same level of commitment. That is why New York teams have done so well in the past few years. New York has come a long way from when they first started entering teams at the lowest divisions, both boys and girls. Also, saying that the boys are all six footers is untrue.

Liameen (USA) - Posts: 38 - 27/06/2017 22:02:07    2006566

Link

Amazing achievement. If the GAA are serious about growing the game outside of Ireland these young lads need plenty of support and be allowed to play in the Connacht under 17 championship.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 27/06/2017 22:37:07    2006585

Link

Replying To DooReg:  "New York beat Derrynoose in the semi-final of the div 2 cup ladies. New York has a population of 8 million and something like 20 clubs. They pick 30 players from all those clubs. Apparently they had over 200 girls at the trials. They fielded 30 athletes - similar to a county team.

The boys team they had were all over 6 foot and talking to them they had 1000 boys at trails for this squad that is unbelievable they just steam rolled everyone.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 704 - 27/06/2017 23:35:05    2006608

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "The boys team they had were all over 6 foot and talking to them they had 1000 boys at trails for this squad that is unbelievable they just steam rolled everyone."
I'm surprised Yourjoking didn't say that they had 10,000 boys at the trials. Sure haven't they the pick of eight million? Whoever told you that they had 1,000 lads is mistaken my friend. Also, I stand by my statement that it is not a team of all six footers. I know around eight of them personally. But then again it's not a crime either.
And as for DooReg he says "The only team to beat them (his team) came from outside of Ireland". Does he have a problem with that? That's not a crime either. Am I detecting a touch of sour grapes from these two posters? I have gotten this from people before, like the man from Mungret, Limerick who told me two years ago that New York should not be in the competition at all because we were a "foreign team", when in reality, all that was wrong with him was that his team were being beaten by a bunch of American kids. He didn't like it. I think I feel a bit of the same sentiment here.
The New York teams are a great bunch of kids. They love the game and are very Irish even though they're for the most part American born. Here's a YouTube video of the boys first singing the American national anthem and then Amhran na bhFiann in Irish after their win. It would make you proud of them as an Irishman living in America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJx0-gh_xn0&sns=em
They, and other overseas teams, should be encouraged instead of people having little digs at them and quoting inaccuracies.

Liameen (USA) - Posts: 38 - 28/06/2017 14:40:47    2006899

Link

Be better putting the money into Irish clubs

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 262 - 28/06/2017 15:07:21    2006922

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Be better putting the money into Irish clubs"
That's more of it.

Liameen (USA) - Posts: 38 - 28/06/2017 15:21:42    2006934

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Be better putting the money into Irish clubs"
There are 439 GAA clubs outside Ireland (2014 figure) so yeah lets just abandon them all.

The problem with keeping GAA popular and growing it is the saturated sports market already present in the USA. EVERY night of the week there are major American sports games on TV which fill the bars from the after work crowd or the "Industry" as they like to call them in NYC.

American kids growing up are more likely to play Baseball, Ice Hockey or American Football. Irish American's do great work in keeping the games alive over there.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 28/06/2017 15:32:26    2006943

Link

Fair play to New York. to hell with the begrudgers. It's only because they won that people have a problem with them. If they were not any good then these same people wouldn't have a problem.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 28/06/2017 15:35:56    2006947

Link

That's laughable. If you had spent anytime trying to promote GAA abroad you would understand the folly of your point. If New York is like London, the pick would be small. Also the girls and boys would not have regular football, playing different opposition once or twice a week for schools and clubs. Kids in London may have 6 teams in their champ and play maybe 8 games a year. That's the difference. I'm sure New York have the same challenges for their kids.

Great achievement by them and South London in div 2 with a pick from 3 clubs alone

BaldyBadger (Cork) - Posts: 311 - 28/06/2017 15:43:50    2006953

Link

Replying To Liameen:  "I'm surprised Yourjoking didn't say that they had 10,000 boys at the trials. Sure haven't they the pick of eight million? Whoever told you that they had 1,000 lads is mistaken my friend. Also, I stand by my statement that it is not a team of all six footers. I know around eight of them personally. But then again it's not a crime either.
And as for DooReg he says "The only team to beat them (his team) came from outside of Ireland". Does he have a problem with that? That's not a crime either. Am I detecting a touch of sour grapes from these two posters? I have gotten this from people before, like the man from Mungret, Limerick who told me two years ago that New York should not be in the competition at all because we were a "foreign team", when in reality, all that was wrong with him was that his team were being beaten by a bunch of American kids. He didn't like it. I think I feel a bit of the same sentiment here.
The New York teams are a great bunch of kids. They love the game and are very Irish even though they're for the most part American born. Here's a YouTube video of the boys first singing the American national anthem and then Amhran na bhFiann in Irish after their win. It would make you proud of them as an Irishman living in America.
They, and other overseas teams, should be encouraged instead of people having little digs at them and quoting inaccuracies."
No sour grapes at all - i was stating a pure fact that the only team to beat Derrynoose (yes, my club) were from outside of Ireland. Am i right or wrong in that statement? The chip must be on your shoulder my friend. I am ecstatic about how well our wee club did and stating that we beat every team bar New York is great for our club.

As it happens, Kilkenny beat New York in the girls Div 2 final (i'm seriously surprised at that result because i couldn't see how any team could beat them - but they did and fair play to them). Incidentally, Derrynoose beat Kilkenny in the group stages, so that's why i was surprised.

But, lads, when the best U14 boys team in Ireland can only score a few points against New York (which let's face it is like a county team) there must be something inequitable about that. The rules clearly state that clubs cannot amalgamate solely for Feile - if New York have an U14 Championship with their Clubs, then, technically, the formation of "New York" for Feile should not be permitted. I'm just referring to the rules issued by the Feile organizers.

Maybe the work being put in in New York is now of a standard that the organisers must rethink allowing them to amalgamate for Feile. No team wants to go to Feile and get walloped like this. The Armagh Champions (Harps) only scored 3 points against them - and they are a decent team.

DooReg (Armagh) - Posts: 33 - 28/06/2017 16:42:08    2006994

Link

Replying To DooReg:  "No sour grapes at all - i was stating a pure fact that the only team to beat Derrynoose (yes, my club) were from outside of Ireland. Am i right or wrong in that statement? The chip must be on your shoulder my friend. I am ecstatic about how well our wee club did and stating that we beat every team bar New York is great for our club.

As it happens, Kilkenny beat New York in the girls Div 2 final (i'm seriously surprised at that result because i couldn't see how any team could beat them - but they did and fair play to them). Incidentally, Derrynoose beat Kilkenny in the group stages, so that's why i was surprised.

But, lads, when the best U14 boys team in Ireland can only score a few points against New York (which let's face it is like a county team) there must be something inequitable about that. The rules clearly state that clubs cannot amalgamate solely for Feile - if New York have an U14 Championship with their Clubs, then, technically, the formation of "New York" for Feile should not be permitted. I'm just referring to the rules issued by the Feile organizers.

Maybe the work being put in in New York is now of a standard that the organisers must rethink allowing them to amalgamate for Feile. No team wants to go to Feile and get walloped like this. The Armagh Champions (Harps) only scored 3 points against them - and they are a decent team."
No chip here.
So why did you mention it at all? One look at the name of the team will tell you that they are from outside of Ireland.

Liameen (USA) - Posts: 38 - 28/06/2017 16:55:19    2007000

Link

Replying To Liameen:  "No chip here.
So why did you mention it at all? One look at the name of the team will tell you that they are from outside of Ireland."
So we aren't allowed to mention that the only team that beat us was from outside Ireland? Catch a grip man. Must be a chip....................

DooReg (Armagh) - Posts: 33 - 28/06/2017 17:04:13    2007003

Link

Replying To Liameen:  "I'm surprised Yourjoking didn't say that they had 10,000 boys at the trials. Sure haven't they the pick of eight million? Whoever told you that they had 1,000 lads is mistaken my friend. Also, I stand by my statement that it is not a team of all six footers. I know around eight of them personally. But then again it's not a crime either.
They, and other overseas teams, should be encouraged instead of people having little digs at them and quoting inaccuracies."
The reason i said 1000 boys were at trails is because it came from people from new york who i spoke too at the event. Personally i don't have a issue with it congrats.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 704 - 28/06/2017 17:35:13    2007022

Link

So we're back to this great competition being all about winning ? Who ever remembers a kids blitz which is what it is , we won Dublin div 3 version hurling league and football league all in the same year , this year those same lads are first year minors from the squad we have 7 players , see it for what it is a blitz that should be fun and that's all , it's all about keeping them interested that the hopefully play into adulthood , so New York won OK with me good luck to them , maybe they should send a substandard team over just to make us feel better about ourselves

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 28/06/2017 19:01:25    2007066

Link

Maybe NY play the old style and less short passing and more direct football. Most clubs in Ireland in Div 1 have more under 14 players that all clubs combined in NY. As well as that NY only play Gaelic as a pass time and its not their lead sport. Most of them would go to baseball before football any day of the week. Its a wake up call to clubs in Ireland.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 553 - 28/06/2017 19:43:57    2007081

Link

I have been in New York many times my niece and nephews all coached go-games and summer camps over the summer. These are hugely attended and brilliantly funded, they are making inroads into the very difficult High Schools but thye are succeeding where they failed before. These coaches that go over earn money and help the game on J1's and then some play with clubs at night and what always struck me was the amount of home grown players in the game in recent years. Its not a professional sport so it can't be attractive to kids who need sport as a way out of poverty or into riches. It is more for the hobbyist and I can't see that changing. As for the Feile I think that has had its day a quaint throw-back to a different time, but the GAA is great at holding onto its rusting ancient traditions.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 28/06/2017 20:17:37    2007096

Link