National Forum

Seanie Johnston sitting on the Kildare bench

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

28/05/2012 20:27:38
Barrowsider
County: Carlow

1182320 I wonder where all this disgust was when thomas walsh moved to wicklow, the sunday game gave it no airing infact they were full of praise for him, serious double standards

Exactly Barrowsider. Actually RTE covered the 'Tommy' Walsh professional transfer in great depth last night.. albeit a little bit late. Live phone calls and all

Do you not remeber it was Thomas when he left us then Tommy next door?

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 509 - 28/05/2012 21:07:12    1182375

Link

Barrowsider agus a chairde

It was a bit less travel time from Fenagh to Bray than than Sydney at that time too. The silence was deafening

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 509 - 28/05/2012 21:14:11    1182385

Link

what are the facts of this? was he dropped or did he leave? was he approached or did he approach kildare? if as it seems it is the case that he was dropped then as long as he complies with the rules regarding transfers then i feel he is well within his rights to seek a new county.

the truth is nobody cared about thomas walsh because he was moving from a weak county to another weak county, it was a disgraceful transfer and he did not comply with the requirments of a transfer, but apart from a small few most just shrugged their shoulders and passed no remark on it

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1591 - 28/05/2012 21:16:09    1182387

Link

passerby it was indeed, i was only talking to a fella this evening about how it was tommy when he went to wicklow

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1591 - 28/05/2012 21:17:56    1182390

Link

28/05/2012 19:57:46

pigonastick
County: Dublin

This is all wrong! The transfer shouldn't be allowed! I am traditionalist when it comes to transfer matters so before anyone starts asking me who am I to comment when Dublin clubs are tapping up country players I also believe they are wrong and at the time of the eamonn fennell transfer in Dublin I aslo had many a debate on here for the no side on that as well. I am also uncomfortable with the Dublin hurlers policy of playing players from other counties. I do hope this comes to and end now with the huge success and talent coming through from the underage structure within the county. I come from a football upbringing and have never been to a dublin hurling game so don't hold the same gra for it although I love watching hurling from the comfort of the living room.
Seanie Johnston regardless of what the whole story is or isn't didn't grow up dreaming of playing for Kildare football team yet is going to steal somebody elses dream from them by doing so! All the Kildare fans on here who are in support of this transfer need to take a step back and ask themselves what does pride in the lilywhite jersey mean to them as fans? This is another step in the ''win at all costs'' mentality that is not good for our game! This is a misguided attempt by kildare to achieve success for there County! I believe if you are not good enough as a team to succeed in Gaa at the very highest level it has always been about the way you represented yourself as a team and a county. This transfer doesn't say much about Kildare gaa and the people behind this transfer. It is actually on many levels an admission of an inner belief of inferiority by kildare and its management to be openly driving this because they need it! Is there any great pride in that? I don't believe it is a transfer worth fighting for and nor do i believe that it will improve kildare greatly. It is simply a misguided attempt to help achieve some silverware for the county ( or for the managers cv ) but where does it stop and who will benefit from this long term remains to be seen? I don't believe that this is the future we want for our games and imagine what would happen to our great game if the likes of dublin adapted this policy! I would stop going to see dublin play if I say for example Brian Kavanagh was playing in a full forward line with Conor Mortimor and Michael Tierney....no problem with residency here...as a dub where is the pride in that though and I think Kildare as a county need to ask themselves that question!

The problem here is that Kildare is not managed by a Kildare man so a kildare player loosing (and before we hear the chorus of he has to earn his place bull) a Kildare player will loose out, to the managment its not personal its just business. We will be having a discussion at the end of the summer about the discontent of X, Y and Z Kildare forward whos nose is out of joint because he has lost his starting place. Watch this space.

@Sedico. Your point about Clubs in the transfer market and the comparisons to Intercounty football. What happens at Club is pretty disgracful most of the time, we expect more from Intercounty, much more and Kildare have not covered themselves in glory here, but to me what what is baffling is the hard neck they have shown, as if it is perfectnally normal. But lets call a spade a spade, there is only one man ruling the KCB at the moment and its not the KCB chairman.

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 28/05/2012 21:35:36    1182420

Link

bludubstar please dont insult us with your false statements that you care or have a concern for kildare and if a kildare player loses out.
please....

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 28/05/2012 21:50:34    1182448

Link

I think the point that is being missed by alot of people that there is serious concern about where this could lead for the gaa! There are statements being thrown around with not much thought as to the meaning of them to Gaa as a whole!

Things like ''he is a good player he deserves to play county football'' and ''why should they stop him he isn't wanted by his own co.'' when properly considered are dangerous statements if you believe in the traditional structure of the gaa as we know it. Do the people who believe this is valid reason for transfer in this intance believe this structure needs to be changed? How do they see the shape of this new structure with Co. borders no longer an obstacle in team selection? What would this mean for the weaker counties?

The real questions that are being considered by the gaa who obviously don't believe that the above restucturing of our game is the way forward are, is a dodgy address in any old town in whatever county in ireland you have reason to play for next a good enough reason to allow this transfer to take place? How do the gaa close the loopholes that they believe are alow for future abuse of the current structure and also are a threat to the amateur status of the game!

It is not personal against SJ or Kildare its what it stands for which is clearly in contradiction with what the cccc and the suits in the gaa believe and i agreee fully!

pigonastick (Dublin) - Posts: 487 - 28/05/2012 21:59:21    1182466

Link

I only got to read a bit of what brolly had to say on sg.
His point seemed to be that this is a set up transfer and he was given a address of convenience and in my opinion he has hit the nail on the head.
The point that many people miss when they compare this transfer with others is that this according to many is a set up and a convenient address was conjured up to give the perception that its legit. No other transfer has even came near this.
Now if we wish to go down the road of players having a choice of county to play for then kildare can bring a motion to congress and see how it gets on. At the moment there is no such rule and just cause you can get around rules does not make it right. It is time to end this let seannie come out and say I've had enough. I believe he is been given very bad advice by someone , I think most can guess who. But for the future of the gaa this cannot be allowed to happen.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/05/2012 09:44:14    1182519

Link

kefan
County: Kildare

As for the CCCC objecting again, what grounds do they have this time? Like I'm honestly asking the question? I know many people are against it but what are the actual reasons they can object now? If he has proof of residency and neither Cavan or Cavan Gaels are objecting then why can they stop it?

The problem is he is working in Cavan and his residency has NOT been proven. The panelists on the Sunday game set out their stall on this, NO ONE can object to any player moving to another county, working and playing there and then playing for that county its that simple. That has not happened in this case, all the ducks (for a legal transfer) have been lined after the event, that is the big problem with his transfer.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 29/05/2012 09:49:11    1182523

Link

The Sunday Game panelists? Of for the love of j#@#@. They'll be saying something else next week. Amazing how they can change their minds so dramatically.

sedico (Kildare) - Posts: 1682 - 29/05/2012 10:03:47    1182535

Link

I have had Cill Dara as my 'second team' this last few years but because of this whole saga and the attitudes of a lot of people from Kildare and their management and players to it I now hope they gett stuffed. Would anyone else here share those sentiments?

Culann (Dublin) - Posts: 2306 - 29/05/2012 10:27:24    1182562

Link

Sedico. They only said what everyone knows. And what many tried to post on hear but couldn't until it was out in public domain.
Don't tell me you or any one else is that naïve to believe the line of seannie vame to us and he only wants to play football and he is living hear legit.
Come on. I said it in january the dogs in the street knows what went on hear. At least now the panelists have made it common knowledge.
No one can defend this.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/05/2012 10:27:33    1182563

Link

The problem is he is working in Cavan and his residency has NOT been proven. The panelists on the Sunday game set out their stall on this, NO ONE can object to any player moving to another county, working and playing there and then playing for that county its that simple. That has not happened in this case, all the ducks (for a legal transfer) have been lined after the event, that is the big problem with his transfer.

Well he won't be working there next year in Cavan as its been hinted he will be teaching next year in north Kildare, Christ who ever has set up this transfer must have some influence if they can make this happen as a teacher myself I wonder how this can happen so easily if it's true

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 29/05/2012 10:36:13    1182574

Link

Culann I think many will share that view the only problem is that it will be left to dublin to do the stuffing.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/05/2012 10:37:05    1182576

Link

The panelists are only spouting what people want to hear. I know for a fact that one of them was hoping Seanie would get a transfer only a few short weeks ago.

And Culann if you think anyone in Kildare gives a fiddlers if you hope we get stuffed then you're badly mistaken. Do you care when most hope the Dubs get stuffed every time they play?

sedico (Kildare) - Posts: 1682 - 29/05/2012 10:38:49    1182578

Link

Seanie Johnston regardless of what the whole story is or isn't didn't grow up dreaming of playing for Kildare football team yet is going to steal somebody elses dream from them by doing so

agree 100% with the above post have even put up a thread re same on kildare forum. people seem to have the opuinion that no player will loose out but they will and its going to be a lad that has served our county proudly till now. if seanie is on someone is off its not rocket science. and that someone is a kildare player that has gave there all from an early age.

still the question has to be answered WHO STARTED THIS TRANSFER
did seanie suddenly osay I want to play for kildare honestly I dont think so.
was he asked by someone ????? if yes !!! who ????? stand up an admit it because this info is needed to be known. i dont think people realise that not all kildare fans are in favour of this move and were the ones that pay into the supporters club matches etc every year.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 29/05/2012 10:48:01    1182590

Link

Indeed it is baffling and unreal that such efforts have been gone to in order to secure this transfer. Shameful stuff in my opinion. And then some people have the nerve to peddle the he will have to earn his place spiel. So after going to such lengths and even having him pick up a hurley for 10 minutes he will sit on bench?. Come on wake up

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/05/2012 10:49:33    1182592

Link

The problem is under the current rules this transfer probably cannot be stopped but it is also a clear abuse of the system! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any mechanism in the rules to deal with an abuse of the sytem like this as anyone can register an address in a county.

The unfortunate side of it is that a strong county like kildare is willing to support this shameless abuse of the system with total disregard for the the culture and ethos of the GAA! They have taken no consideration as to how they would feel if kildare players began to be tapped up in such a manner. Do Kildare county board believe this type of transfer should become the norm? Do they actually believe it is good for the game?

There hasn't been a proper response on this thread from a kildare fan or anyone else other than to condemn those critising the transfer as being just as bad in some way....I think that says alot....This transfer is undefendable and wrong!

pigonastick (Dublin) - Posts: 487 - 29/05/2012 11:02:56    1182603

Link

sedico
County: Kildare

And Culann if you think anyone in Kildare gives a fiddlers if you hope we get stuffed then you're badly mistaken. Do you care when most hope the Dubs get stuffed every time they play?

I'd have to agree with that and no I couldn't care less but it will make me very happy when Cill Dara lose. I'm just seeing does anyone else share my sentiments!

Culann (Dublin) - Posts: 2306 - 29/05/2012 11:03:01    1182604

Link

Kildare were also my second time but likewise I'm looking forward to then getting knocked out after the way they went out about this. If Niall McNamee is fit a shock could be on the cards in a few weeks!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 1005 - 29/05/2012 11:15:15    1182613

Link