National Forum

Does GAA get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To alano12:  "be honest and fair in your responses or your as bad as u claim he is,..why would u20 rugby receive coverage on the tv and u21 hurling not?"
Why are you asking me?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/07/2016 13:19:12    1877878

Link

"And yet http://m.rte.ie/sport/ has the Dublin U21s winning Leinster tonight as the main news item. Remember the website? The one you would supposedly reference at 22:00."

By 10.15pm the hurling result had slipped down to item 3.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 07/07/2016 14:27:49    1877938

Link

Replying To alano12: why would u20 rugby receive coverage on the tv and u21 hurling not?

last year sunday game showed highlights of under 21 all ireland hurling semis and final with analysis -i remember it as limerick were involved- i dont recall such highlights being shown of the 20s world cup -

to be fair tg4 do great job covering under 21 hurling

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 07/07/2016 14:34:54    1877942

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Why are you asking me?"
you are the one continually trying to keep mediaman quiet..why are you posing responses if you are not prepared to accept the points he makes or at least debate them?..why cant you keep objectivity instead of trying to keep somebody quiet because you dont agree with them?

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 14:57:24    1877956

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "Replying To alano12: why would u20 rugby receive coverage on the tv and u21 hurling not?

last year sunday game showed highlights of under 21 all ireland hurling semis and final with analysis -i remember it as limerick were involved- i dont recall such highlights being shown of the 20s world cup -

to be fair tg4 do great job covering under 21 hurling"
very rare occurance that must have been janesboro..tg4 do a decent job for what they have but they are a limited broadcaster...yeah rte were busy giving the u20s loads of 6 nations coverage and given their world cup campaign prime coverage on rte news but hey lets not debate the point lets just deflect and deflect.,..ill ask you again..why were the u20s given coverage on the news and the u21 stuff not?

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 14:59:05    1877957

Link

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts:118 - 07/07/2016 14:59:05 18779
very rare occurance that must have been janesboro..--yep very rare rte shows gaa indeed
yeah rte were busy giving the u20s loads of 6 nations coverage -part of the 6 nations contract - s4c, sky and french tv also do live games -in fiarness they do loads of gaa coverage - three games this week -plus the two on sky -plus next week tg4 will have both munster semis.
and given their world cup campaign prime coverage on rte news didnt know it got prime coverage -i thought it was
.ill ask you again..why were the u20s given coverage on the news and the u21 stuff not?
dont know - assume the under 20s rugby was shown because there is an interest in it -maybe you should contact rte for a response

havent watched the dubs v offaly game yet as was at limerick v clare intermediate game what size crowd was at it - was there much travelling support from dubs, there was around 3k at our game last night - pretty good crowd i thought

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 07/07/2016 15:22:04    1877973

Link

Replying To alano12:  "you are the one continually trying to keep mediaman quiet..why are you posing responses if you are not prepared to accept the points he makes or at least debate them?..why cant you keep objectivity instead of trying to keep somebody quiet because you dont agree with them?"
I've made plenty of responses in this and the forerunner to this thread. Many of them agreeing with some of Mediaman's point but disagreeing with his reactive rather than proactive stance. Difficult to debate with someone who never responds to your posts. Go and read them. For someone who claims to love all things GAA and never posts in any thread on GAA matters. Someone so offended by an anti-GAA bias that he will do nothing about it but moan.

You should direct your questions to Radio Television Eireann who Mediaman claims he has an issue with. I say claim because this and previous thread are just an anti-rugby rant. And find an online dictionary that explains the following words and the differences between them: opinion, fact, objectivity, statistic, reckon, tolerant, information, attendance, viewership, selective.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/07/2016 16:07:44    1878011

Link

Replying To keeper7:  ""And yet http://m.rte.ie/sport/ has the Dublin U21s winning Leinster tonight as the main news item. Remember the website? The one you would supposedly reference at 22:00."

By 10.15pm the hurling result had slipped down to item 3."
Probably further down the list by 23:00 as RTE site covers loads of sports.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/07/2016 16:14:23    1878013

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "alano12 (Dublin) - Posts:118 - 07/07/2016 14:59:05 18779
very rare occurance that must have been janesboro..--yep very rare rte shows gaa indeed
yeah rte were busy giving the u20s loads of 6 nations coverage -part of the 6 nations contract - s4c, sky and french tv also do live games -in fiarness they do loads of gaa coverage - three games this week -plus the two on sky -plus next week tg4 will have both munster semis.
and given their world cup campaign prime coverage on rte news didnt know it got prime coverage -i thought it was
.ill ask you again..why were the u20s given coverage on the news and the u21 stuff not?
dont know - assume the under 20s rugby was shown because there is an interest in it -maybe you should contact rte for a response

havent watched the dubs v offaly game yet as was at limerick v clare intermediate game what size crowd was at it - was there much travelling support from dubs, there was around 3k at our game last night - pretty good crowd i thought"
again janesboro....you arent being genunine in your responses..this is in relation to u21 gaa...why are you bringing in other gaa into this?..i asked you a simple question..one you werent able answer..you dont think there was an interest in both yet one received coverage over the other?..strange that is i must say..dont recall bbc or itv showing any u20 games on their primary channels...that is a pretty good crowd..much better crowd then the usual u20 games receives..the 6 o clock slot on the rte news is as prime as it gets

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 16:57:41    1878039

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "I've made plenty of responses in this and the forerunner to this thread. Many of them agreeing with some of Mediaman's point but disagreeing with his reactive rather than proactive stance. Difficult to debate with someone who never responds to your posts. Go and read them. For someone who claims to love all things GAA and never posts in any thread on GAA matters. Someone so offended by an anti-GAA bias that he will do nothing about it but moan.

You should direct your questions to Radio Television Eireann who Mediaman claims he has an issue with. I say claim because this and previous thread are just an anti-rugby rant. And find an online dictionary that explains the following words and the differences between them: opinion, fact, objectivity, statistic, reckon, tolerant, information, attendance, viewership, selective."
why dont you direct your issues to rte if you feel there is a case to be answered for?..you could keep mediaman quiet once and for all by doing so or is that not your goal as why else would you bother continuing to reply to him at this stage if you know his act?

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:00:01    1878041

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "I've made plenty of responses in this and the forerunner to this thread. Many of them agreeing with some of Mediaman's point but disagreeing with his reactive rather than proactive stance. Difficult to debate with someone who never responds to your posts. Go and read them. For someone who claims to love all things GAA and never posts in any thread on GAA matters. Someone so offended by an anti-GAA bias that he will do nothing about it but moan.

You should direct your questions to Radio Television Eireann who Mediaman claims he has an issue with. I say claim because this and previous thread are just an anti-rugby rant. And find an online dictionary that explains the following words and the differences between them: opinion, fact, objectivity, statistic, reckon, tolerant, information, attendance, viewership, selective."
and comparing something put on the website and on the prime news broadcast is not comparing like with like and you know it but that didnt stop you from attempting to imply they were the same

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:00:47    1878042

Link

Replying To alano12:  "and comparing something put on the website and on the prime news broadcast is not comparing like with like and you know it but that didnt stop you from attempting to imply they were the same"
Where did I compare them? Simply referred to the fact that RTE covered the result. 'Fact'.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/07/2016 17:19:50    1878051

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Where did I compare them? Simply referred to the fact that RTE covered the result. 'Fact'."
yes he referred to the coverage during the news broadcast..he didnt mention the website once in his point

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:27:26    1878057

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Where did I compare them? Simply referred to the fact that RTE covered the result. 'Fact'."
the thread is about whether gaa receives fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby..all i noticed was mediaman highlighting yet another example of this...my own personal opinion is it does not receive fair coverage on rte or in the print media especially compared to rugby..the coverage of the soccer isnt all that great bar we get into a major tournament where it all goes in to hyperdrive and i cant argue there that it doesnt warrant it

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:34:38    1878062

Link

again janesboro....you arent being genunine in your responses.. -please explain how i can be more genuine in my answers

this is in relation to u21 gaa...why are you bringing in other gaa into this?. because the title of this thread is does gaa get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby, i believe that in order to analyse this question all GAA coverage on a particular station should be considered not just their underage coverage, the dublin offaly game was on Tg4-what difference does it make what station its on

.i asked you a simple question..one you werent able answer maybe you might answer it yourself if it is so simple

..you dont think there was an interest in both yet one received coverage over the other?..strange that is i must say.. -never said there wasnt

what sort of dublin crowd was at the game - was pleasantly surprised at the crowd for a intermediate game - fine clare support there as well -

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 07/07/2016 17:37:48    1878063

Link

Replying To alano12:  "the thread is about whether gaa receives fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby..all i noticed was mediaman highlighting yet another example of this...my own personal opinion is it does not receive fair coverage on rte or in the print media especially compared to rugby..the coverage of the soccer isnt all that great bar we get into a major tournament where it all goes in to hyperdrive and i cant argue there that it doesnt warrant it"
Agreed Alano. But rather than repeat the same message for two years it's time he put up or shut up and do something about it.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/07/2016 17:42:48    1878066

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "again janesboro....you arent being genunine in your responses.. -please explain how i can be more genuine in my answers

this is in relation to u21 gaa...why are you bringing in other gaa into this?. because the title of this thread is does gaa get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby, i believe that in order to analyse this question all GAA coverage on a particular station should be considered not just their underage coverage, the dublin offaly game was on Tg4-what difference does it make what station its on

.i asked you a simple question..one you werent able answer maybe you might answer it yourself if it is so simple

..you dont think there was an interest in both yet one received coverage over the other?..strange that is i must say.. -never said there wasnt

what sort of dublin crowd was at the game - was pleasantly surprised at the crowd for a intermediate game - fine clare support there as well -"
yes but that wasnt the point we were discussing..by comparing like with like i believe you could be more genuine..we were comparing underage games..you again changed the subject to avoid it....there is a huge difference between being on tg4 and rte and you know it..rte is a much bigger broadcaster with greater resources and in the english language which is preferred by the majority of people....the answer i would have is i would find it very strange and yet another example of rtes pro rugby leanings...yes i misread you there thinking it was an u21 game..thats very impressive going for an intermediate game...no idea what the crowd was for the dublin game im afraid

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:42:58    1878067

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Agreed Alano. But rather than repeat the same message for two years it's time he put up or shut up and do something about it."
i agree with you to a certain degree greenandred but i do find some of the information he posts informative such as the treatment of underage or womens sports,..once he sticks on point without wandering into an anti rugby slant as such...you should post his findings to rte to make everyone happy ;)

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 17:47:17    1878071

Link

Alano, are you full-time at this or is it just for the summer?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 07/07/2016 18:14:04    1878083

Link

alano ---- .there is a huge difference between being on tg4 and rte and you know it..

i dont see any issue with tg4 showing games rugby or gaa - they do a fine job irrespective of whether you totally understand the commentary or not you can easily figure out whats goin on - i dont have shred of welsh but watched all of wales games on s4c and could still make out whats going on - ---- anyway is it part of the gaa remit to promote irish language

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 07/07/2016 19:40:57    1878115

Link