National Forum

Does GAA get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To keeper7:  "That's a ridiculous statement, Jimski. How about mentioning the fact that it was an absolutely riproaring contest from start to finish? Meath retaining the trophy is 100% a good news story."
A rip-roaring contest in a competition that the GAA in itself by its actions doesn't really value. If it did it would promote the Ring/Rackard/Meagher Cups properly. They'd run them off in tandem with the McCarthy Cup competition and play the finals on the same programme as big championship games. The Ring Cup final should have been played before the Leinster final next Sunday this year and every year or before one of the All Ireland quarter or semi finals instead of before a few hundred people last week. I expect the crowd last week would have been about the same as attend an average League of Ireland match. And therein lies the answer to Media man's allegation of bias by RTE: no crowd/ no promotion by GAA leads to zero media coverage in the lead up to the match.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 29/06/2016 15:33:33    1873869

Link

Didn't know he'd left!

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 29/06/2016 15:43:51    1873879

Link

Tuned into Off The Ball tonight. Granted at the moment there is a major international soccer tournament on which will take up a lot of the show.

But it's 3 hours long, they spend 90minutes odd on soccer they still have a 30 minute section on rugby, despite the fact they had another 30min section on rugby only on Monday even though the season is done and dusted.

All they can manage then is a 10 minute preview of the Munster football final shoehorned in between some waffle about the zika virus!

It's the same in the spring. An hour devoted to a soccer show every night, another 30-40 minutes in the two hours before also talking soccer. At least three 30 minute slots a week on rugby and even though the National League is going on around them they might devote a few minutes to it at some stage over the course of the week, usually only if something controversial might have happened in a game.

Surely if the station gets to broadcast GAA matches during the summer, the GAA can insist that they devote much more time on their shows to the GAA.

It really turns me off the programme how biased they are towards soccer, rugby and even golf compared to the GAA.

The Association needs to be a lot more pro-active in getting sports shows like this to carry GAA segments.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 29/06/2016 21:49:02    1874040

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Tuned into Off The Ball tonight. Granted at the moment there is a major international soccer tournament on which will take up a lot of the show.

But it's 3 hours long, they spend 90minutes odd on soccer they still have a 30 minute section on rugby, despite the fact they had another 30min section on rugby only on Monday even though the season is done and dusted.

All they can manage then is a 10 minute preview of the Munster football final shoehorned in between some waffle about the zika virus!

It's the same in the spring. An hour devoted to a soccer show every night, another 30-40 minutes in the two hours before also talking soccer. At least three 30 minute slots a week on rugby and even though the National League is going on around them they might devote a few minutes to it at some stage over the course of the week, usually only if something controversial might have happened in a game.

Surely if the station gets to broadcast GAA matches during the summer, the GAA can insist that they devote much more time on their shows to the GAA.

It really turns me off the programme how biased they are towards soccer, rugby and even golf compared to the GAA.

The Association needs to be a lot more pro-active in getting sports shows like this to carry GAA segments."
They're appealing to a target audience who obviously like soccer, rugby, hurling, Gaelic football, golf and other sports and not just hurling and Gaelic football.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 29/06/2016 23:10:49    1874073

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Less craic since Wooly left though."
I was wondering did he leave alright. I thought he just didn't go to France with the rest of the OTB team but I assume he just got a job somewhere then.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 30/06/2016 09:27:58    1874117

Link

Just looking through the listings for this weekend. It doesn't look like either Ulster Semi Final replay is going to be shown on any channel!! They have been 2 of the best games in the championship so far and I'd imagine those not attending the games would love to tune into them. I actually find this absolutely shocking!! It's the most competitive provisional championship, all 4 teams no matter what happens this weekend will hope to make at least the quarter final and they all will be in action in Division 1 next year.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 30/06/2016 09:36:52    1874120

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "I was wondering did he leave alright. I thought he just didn't go to France with the rest of the OTB team but I assume he just got a job somewhere then."
He went to Joe.ie to take up the post as GAA editor. I'm not a big fan of a few of them kind of sites. They seem fairly bereft of any really new stories or proper sports journalisms and more making cash from hipsters who are happy to see retweets, vines and youtube clips.

I like Wooly though so I'll keep an eye on Joe for him. I once saw him arguing with a parking official outside O'Moore Park before a league match. I think yer man was telling he couldn't park there cos he didn't have an official players pass displayed on the car ! Like who would not know Wooly played for Laois in '07. I don't Wooly would be a big fan if pedantic Patricks! Hope he does well in whatever he tries and we hear him back on the airwaves and TV soon.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 30/06/2016 10:20:45    1874135

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Just looking through the listings for this weekend. It doesn't look like either Ulster Semi Final replay is going to be shown on any channel!! They have been 2 of the best games in the championship so far and I'd imagine those not attending the games would love to tune into them. I actually find this absolutely shocking!! It's the most competitive provisional championship, all 4 teams no matter what happens this weekend will hope to make at least the quarter final and they all will be in action in Division 1 next year."
Sure TV schedules were made before the season started so they can't back out of commitments now even if better games are there to watch.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 30/06/2016 10:26:22    1874139

Link

Seriously? Quinlan? Well he is from Tipp so he should be knowledgeable about Hurling and Football. But while he's very knowledgeable on the rugby and makes good points he sounds so serious in his delivery that I find him boring to listen to very little craic out of him. For a man who played at a top level with such desire and enthusiasm and an edge to his game it's hard to believe it's the same fella talking about rugby.
Why do most TV and radio stations and newspapers think that ex-players make the best sports journalists? For many of them it's just run-of-the-mill descriptions of players playing their old sport/job. They can can never decsribe the absolute awe that you and me and the average supporters have when watching these great games, be they hurling, football, soccer, rugby, boxing, snooker etc. It's like a jobs for the boys scheme for ex-sportspeople that are poor writers to begin with and don't get much better. There's lads posting here that can write better stuff in their sleep than most ex-player journalists.
GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:2493 - 29/06/2016 14:09:45
Alan has said so himself that rugby saved him. He barely did his LC, and if it wasn't for pro rugby he would have worked in a garage all his life. Just because someone plays a sport at a high level doesn't mean they can talk about it very well. The tv/radio stations use ex players as those players can sell based on their name. It isn't a job for the boys its about making sales.

Tuned into Off The Ball tonight. Granted at the moment there is a major international soccer tournament on which will take up a lot of the show. But it's 3 hours long, they spend 90minutes odd on soccer they still have a 30 minute section on rugby, despite the fact they had another 30min section on rugby only on Monday even though the season is done and dusted.
Surely if the station gets to broadcast GAA matches during the summer, the GAA can insist that they devote much more time on their shows to the GAA. It really turns me off the programme how biased they are towards soccer, rugby and even golf compared to the GAA.
The Association needs to be a lot more pro-active in getting sports shows like this to carry GAA segments.
TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts:1456 - 29/06/2016 21:49:02
Rugby is professional as is soccer which immediately helps in terms of the number of stories available to the media. Access to media is easier with professional teams. GAA cant really insist anything on Newstalk that they have to show x amount of GAA per night. The channels are not biased in favour of other sports. More they cover what their listeners want them to.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 30/06/2016 10:58:05    1874151

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Sure TV schedules were made before the season started so they can't back out of commitments now even if better games are there to watch."
That is true but it actually highlights the small amount of planning that goes into the TV scheduling of games. There's always the possibility of replays in championship football but unless it's a provincial final or all ireland semi final or final it's doesn't get shown. Surely there should be deferred coverage at the very least as this wouldn't interfere with the matches already planned to be shown. Do we not live in an age where it's possible to show more than one game at a time with red button options etc. It should be possible to watch every game whether it be live or deferred coverage of games perhaps a bit like the way sky sports show the PL games on saturday evening on their Football First show. Surely the GAA must be thinking of setting up their own channel?? I know people might worry about attendances dropping but I don't think it would have a huge impact. It hasn't affected other sports anyways.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 30/06/2016 11:30:27    1874171

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "That is true but it actually highlights the small amount of planning that goes into the TV scheduling of games. There's always the possibility of replays in championship football but unless it's a provincial final or all ireland semi final or final it's doesn't get shown. Surely there should be deferred coverage at the very least as this wouldn't interfere with the matches already planned to be shown. Do we not live in an age where it's possible to show more than one game at a time with red button options etc. It should be possible to watch every game whether it be live or deferred coverage of games perhaps a bit like the way sky sports show the PL games on saturday evening on their Football First show. Surely the GAA must be thinking of setting up their own channel?? I know people might worry about attendances dropping but I don't think it would have a huge impact. It hasn't affected other sports anyways."
But who finances this GAA channel? Where does revenue come from? It would have to be pay per view for it to really work and would there really be enough subscribers to make it financially viable?
How do you know RTE have the resources to show more than 1 game at a time?
Sky Sports has a budget many many multiples of what RTE has so trying to compare the GAA and anything like a GAA channel is nonsense. Premier league soccer is a multi billion business while the GAA and gaelic and hurling championships are not even small fry for them.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 30/06/2016 11:59:15    1874188

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "But who finances this GAA channel? Where does revenue come from? It would have to be pay per view for it to really work and would there really be enough subscribers to make it financially viable?
How do you know RTE have the resources to show more than 1 game at a time?
Sky Sports has a budget many many multiples of what RTE has so trying to compare the GAA and anything like a GAA channel is nonsense. Premier league soccer is a multi billion business while the GAA and gaelic and hurling championships are not even small fry for them."
Fair enough, what I suggested may not be financially possible but it's crazy that in 2016 that there is not a structure in place to show all/most championship games. RTE and Sky share the rights at the moment and I believe the BBC have an agreement with RTE for Ulster championship games. When the TV schedule is being drawn out before the season starts I'm sure they know what games are not going to be broadcasted live (including potential replays). Why can't these games be offered to TG4 for example without them having to pay for the rights as these games are not going to be shown anyways? When I think about it I'd say the revenue the GAA generates already would be enough for them to trial an online channel or something and if successful they could introduce PPV for matches in the future without touching the existing agreements in place with the current broadcasters.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 30/06/2016 16:14:56    1874344

Link

Fair enough, what I suggested may not be financially possible but it's crazy that in 2016 that there is not a structure in place to show all/most championship games. RTE and Sky share the rights at the moment and I believe the BBC have an agreement with RTE for Ulster championship games. When the TV schedule is being drawn out before the season starts I'm sure they know what games are not going to be broadcasted live (including potential replays). Why can't these games be offered to TG4 for example without them having to pay for the rights as these games are not going to be shown anyways? When I think about it I'd say the revenue the GAA generates already would be enough for them to trial an online channel or something and if successful they could introduce PPV for matches in the future without touching the existing agreements in place with the current broadcasters.
Mobot (Donegal) - Posts:20 - 30/06/2016 16:14:56
If you put all games on television you lose out on ticket attendance. This is very much part of why Premier League still has most of its games on at 3pm on a Saturday and games cant be shown live at that time. Having more and more games on tv affects the GAA financially. I don't think PPV would work either as that does affect existing agreements in some form or another

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 30/06/2016 18:51:06    1874426

Link

This morning's Sean O'Rourke Show on RTE carried a prolonged interview with a body builder who uses steroids to bulk up or enhance his muscle development. Interesting interview. Then completely out of the blue the interviewer asked 'What about the GAA?' Not what about other sports just 'What about the GAA?' I have no doubt some footballers or hurlers do use steroids but I think everyone knows which sport is most likely to have a steroid problem and it isn't football or hurling. But then it wouldn't do for RTE to be in any way negative about its favourite sport. I think we all know which one that is.

mediaman (Antrim) - Posts: 355 - 05/07/2016 21:17:05    1877022

Link

Replying To mediaman:  "This morning's Sean O'Rourke Show on RTE carried a prolonged interview with a body builder who uses steroids to bulk up or enhance his muscle development. Interesting interview. Then completely out of the blue the interviewer asked 'What about the GAA?' Not what about other sports just 'What about the GAA?' I have no doubt some footballers or hurlers do use steroids but I think everyone knows which sport is most likely to have a steroid problem and it isn't football or hurling. But then it wouldn't do for RTE to be in any way negative about its favourite sport. I think we all know which one that is."
They're taking steroids in golf ????

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 05/07/2016 21:47:39    1877031

Link

Championship season or not, for the second night in a row no mention of football or hurling on this evening's RTE 6.01 News and Sport. No surprise there. Not even a mention of the biggest sporting fixture on the island tonight, the Leinster U-21 Hurling Final between Dublin (2-14) and Offaly (1-10). Of course RTE don't have the rights to show the game but they could at least have mentioned it. They didn't have the rights to show the recent U-20 Rugby Union World Cup but they still previewed every match on the 6.01 News and Sport. Indeed these underage competitions are very similar in terms of interest across the nation. The U-21 Provincial competitions attract similar crowds to U-20 Six Nations matches while the U-21 All-Ireland Finals are as well if not better attended than the recent U-20 Rugby Union World Cup Final. The only difference is that RTE 6.01 News and Sport promotes the Rugby Union underage teams and ignores the football and hurling underage players.
The argument that one is international and the other is not is nothing but the usual red herring. If underage Rugby Union deserves coverage so too then does underage hurling and football. Once again it's a question of fairness.

mediaman (Antrim) - Posts: 355 - 06/07/2016 21:14:56    1877596

Link

Replying To mediaman:  "Championship season or not, for the second night in a row no mention of football or hurling on this evening's RTE 6.01 News and Sport. No surprise there. Not even a mention of the biggest sporting fixture on the island tonight, the Leinster U-21 Hurling Final between Dublin (2-14) and Offaly (1-10). Of course RTE don't have the rights to show the game but they could at least have mentioned it. They didn't have the rights to show the recent U-20 Rugby Union World Cup but they still previewed every match on the 6.01 News and Sport. Indeed these underage competitions are very similar in terms of interest across the nation. The U-21 Provincial competitions attract similar crowds to U-20 Six Nations matches while the U-21 All-Ireland Finals are as well if not better attended than the recent U-20 Rugby Union World Cup Final. The only difference is that RTE 6.01 News and Sport promotes the Rugby Union underage teams and ignores the football and hurling underage players.
The argument that one is international and the other is not is nothing but the usual red herring. If underage Rugby Union deserves coverage so too then does underage hurling and football. Once again it's a question of fairness."
And yet http://m.rte.ie/sport/ has the Dublin U21s winning Leinster tonight as the main news item. Remember the website? The one you would supposedly reference at 22:00. Why not provide some facts rather than glib opinions and red herrings. Maybe showing the percentage of RTE viewers/listeners/website users who are only interested in hurling and gaelic football versus same who only like other sports versus those who like hurling, gaelic football and other sports. In fairness those statistic might tell a lot.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 06/07/2016 21:38:17    1877611

Link

Mediaman claims to be from dublin - at 635pm ish (when six one sports was on) or at 21.14 (when he last posted) surely any true blue dublin gaa supporter (as i am sure mediaman is) would be en route to/from tullamore rather than watchin six one news or posting on this webside, i was at limerick clare intermediate game (with much shorter travel time) and was en route to game at 6.35 and still at it at 21.14 due to extra time. and i bloody annoyed we lost -looks like the start of a week of pain

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 06/07/2016 23:29:34    1877660

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "And yet http://m.rte.ie/sport/ has the Dublin U21s winning Leinster tonight as the main news item. Remember the website? The one you would supposedly reference at 22:00. Why not provide some facts rather than glib opinions and red herrings. Maybe showing the percentage of RTE viewers/listeners/website users who are only interested in hurling and gaelic football versus same who only like other sports versus those who like hurling, gaelic football and other sports. In fairness those statistic might tell a lot."
bit of a difference being given tv coverage in a preview though surely you would admit?

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 01:38:02    1877678

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "And yet http://m.rte.ie/sport/ has the Dublin U21s winning Leinster tonight as the main news item. Remember the website? The one you would supposedly reference at 22:00. Why not provide some facts rather than glib opinions and red herrings. Maybe showing the percentage of RTE viewers/listeners/website users who are only interested in hurling and gaelic football versus same who only like other sports versus those who like hurling, gaelic football and other sports. In fairness those statistic might tell a lot."
be honest and fair in your responses or your as bad as u claim he is,..why would u20 rugby receive coverage on the tv and u21 hurling not?

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 07/07/2016 01:38:47    1877679

Link