National Forum

Sam is between Dublin, Cork and Kerry..

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i really feel this is kildares year... its mcgenneys fifth season and they are improving every year so i think they will be hard bet in 2012.. if they can get a run of games together again and maybe finally get a bit of luck on a big day in croke park they will be in the mix.. i think tyrone will be up there as they are looking unstopable at the moment.kerry cork and the dubs will be up there.donegal will be stronger and i feel galway will be a better team this year.it makes for an intruiging summer.

asdfg (Cavan) - Posts: 316 - 23/03/2012 19:44:32    1135851

Link

Thanks asdfg that really narrows it down.

kickpass (Down) - Posts: 208 - 23/03/2012 19:48:27    1135854

Link

Can't look past the munster boys. Dubs will suffer from second season syndrome i think. Tyrone have peaked to soon. Think there are to many young lads on the team as well. Donegal seem to have gone backwards. The boys in the west aren't up to much if you ask me. Mayo are well Mayo and Galway have no consistency this year. Kildare I think may be a sneaky bet for Leinster but other than that won't do anything.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 23/03/2012 21:05:12    1135906

Link

Good thing about the Dubs is that there are some new guys in defense that will force people to up there game.

Also in the forwards, if O'Gara and Connelly can keep going, with Flynn and Cullen we have some forward line to support the Brogans.

We will challenge hard again. Whoever beats the Dubs will win Sam, as had been the case, more or less, for the last decade.

witnof (Dublin) - Posts: 1604 - 23/03/2012 21:52:11    1135935

Link

although i think it is a bit early as things such as injuries can damage a team's chances,you just have to look at the injuries cork and kildare were hit with in one year but.. ill give my two cents..i hope this year the championship is a bit more exciting with a novelty pairing ending up at the final simliar to 2010.
AI Quarter finals: (provinical winners) = mayo , cork , kildare , down/tyrone v kerry , dublin , tyrone/down , galway
AI semi finals : depending on the draws of course:cork,kildare,dublin,kerry,
AI final : cork v kildare final the rebels verses the lillies ;)
love to know gammy knees views he nearly has he's prediction on the league 100% correct so far with the exception of louth beating kildare (bogey team).:D

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 23/03/2012 21:54:22    1135938

Link

Cannot see anyone win it outside Kerry,Cork and Dublin. Tyrone look the best of the rest.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 23/03/2012 21:56:21    1135940

Link

There is no team outside of Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Tyrone capable of winning Sam. Personally I think Dublin will win it again. They are having an up and down league, but when it comes to the championship they will start to hit top form.

Leixonian (Laois) - Posts: 20 - 24/03/2012 09:15:29    1135956

Link

Leixonian
County: Laois

1135956 There is no team outside of Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Tyrone capable of winning Sam. Personally I think Dublin will win it again. They are having an up and down league, but when it comes to the championship they will start to hit top form.

do you not think that kildare are capable.? they are not far away. all they need is some luck and they can run any team close and their fitness and organised stlye of play is the kind of foootball that can win you sam. also donegal could be a dark horse..i feel they will peak in the championship..

asdfg (Cavan) - Posts: 316 - 24/03/2012 10:44:28    1135978

Link

kildare have no chance, what exactly have they ever won? its 1965 since they won an all ireland at any grade, and only 2 leinsters since 1956, playing in division 2, this is the most hyped team ever, ok before ye start, they are better than us, but thats no big deal, this is the worst meath team in living memory, cork, dublin, kerry, tyrone, mayo , galway, down, armagh are all teams better than kildare, and maybe you could throw a couple more,

millhouse (Meath) - Posts: 892 - 24/03/2012 11:49:59    1136003

Link

Lol Gatekeeper have you got a wee bit of a split personality going on here? Heading to McHale Park on Sunday are you?
Redd Tyrone

Good one Redd. Lol. I'm a wee bit schizo alright but this takes the biscuit!
The Armagh ones have been whinging all week about name calling!
What about name theft?! This imposter has practically stolen my name,
I blame the system Redd! There can be only one!

TheGateKeeper (Tyrone) - Posts: 2843 - 24/03/2012 12:06:57    1136011

Link

this is the most hyped team ever

Ever? Well coming from a man who obviously doesn't partake in any over-exageration yourself that clearly means something!

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 24/03/2012 12:45:31    1136025

Link

asdfg
County: Cavan

i really feel this is kildares year... its mcgenneys fifth season and they are improving every year so i think they will be hard bet in 2012.. if they can get a run of games together again and maybe finally get a bit of luck on a big day in croke park they will be in the mix..

asdfg
County: Cavan

do you not think that kildare are capable.? they are not far away. all they need is some luck and they can run any team close and their fitness and organised stlye of play is the kind of foootball that can win you sam. also donegal could be a dark horse..i feel they will peak in the championship..

Well Seanie, how's training going?

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 24/03/2012 13:18:06    1136036

Link

millhouse kildare might have to beat one of tyrone,dublin,cork or kerry i accept until we do kildare will recieve the over hyped jibes like yours but your suggestion that galway? and armagh? are a better team..
no offense to the teams but kildare have been in the last quarters finals and a semi final for the past four years..how is galway better? when they havent been there kildare have..your just letting your grapes or anti kildare cloud your judgement im afraid.
build a bridge.

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 24/03/2012 13:21:01    1136038

Link

if in doubt HAHAHAHAA.. afsdg your right there about kildare.

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 24/03/2012 13:36:08    1136048

Link

on another point millhouse did tradition or history dictate armagh in 2002 lifting sam no!
did all them all irelands kerry have matter no! who was their leader..that famous picture of
kieran mc geeney lifting sam pointing out to the crowd, ill tell you no better man to lead kildare and say tradition or history doesnt matter its out the window..its all about the moment and them 70 minutes!
kildare under mc geeney = anything is possible

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 24/03/2012 13:44:27    1136054

Link

Its hard to call. No team you'd be rushing down to the bookies to back.

I don't think Tyrone are as good as people are making out and they will be exposed when it comes to q/f or s/f stage. Don't really fancy anyone else in Ulster, Donegal will be awkward opponents again but they'll have to evolve this year if they hope to do anything.

There is nothing worth talking about in Connacht. Mayo caught Cork on the hop last year, but if they get a favourable draw in the Quarter Final they may get back to the semis.

Cork have a lot to prove after last year, after the 1st half against Kerry and the capitulation against Mayo they have it all to do. Kerry are trying out a few new players but it'll be tough for them to go all the way this year. The 2011 All-Ireland will haunt them for a long time.

Dublin will be there or there abouts again. Kildare for all the talk need to do something this year. They have had a lot of bad calls against them in recent years but still they had Donegal bet in extra time last year (3 pts is a big lead in extra time). I think their opportunity may have passed. The very least they need this year is to get promoted into division 1 and to take one big scalp in the championship.

If I was asked now I'd say Cork, they have been mixed in the league but they need a big year this year. At a guess I'll go with Cork to beat Tyrone handy enough in one semi final, Dublin to beat Kerry in a tight contest in the other and Cork to win a tight final. Probably will be way off the mark!!

Stuckinthepast (Galway) - Posts: 472 - 24/03/2012 13:48:47    1136057

Link

lilywhitemagic
McGeeney will eventually realise he wont win anything with kildare!
He's learning the ropes of management till armagh get a decent team
again, that isn't going to happen any time soon though, so yis will have
him for a while!

TheGateKeeper (Tyrone) - Posts: 2843 - 24/03/2012 14:50:16    1136080

Link

millhouse
County: Meath

1136003 kildare have no chance, what exactly have they ever won? its 1965 since they won an all ireland at any grade, and only 2 leinsters since 1956, playing in division 2, this is the most hyped team ever, ok before ye start, they are better than us, but thats no big deal, this is the worst meath team in living memory, cork, dublin, kerry, tyrone, mayo , galway, down, armagh are all teams better than kildare, and maybe you could throw a couple more,

For the umpteeth time, it is not 1965 since Kildare won an AI in any grade.

And frankly I'm happy enough once we're better than Meath. Enjoy the relegation battle. ;-)

sedico (Kildare) - Posts: 1682 - 24/03/2012 16:28:43    1136106

Link

I would firmly agree with that, with Donegal, Kildare and Tyrone thrown into the mix as well. If Mayo find some consistency and toughen up they are in with a shout. Heres my thoughts on each team for what its worth:

Dublin - the only that will stop them is that the opposition raise their game or the pressure gets to them. Serious talent upfront and Cooper, McMahon, Dias are serious contenders for a breakthrough to the tea this year. Will be hard stopped.
Kerry - hugely impressive to date. Superb forwards and young fellas stepping up to the mark. Will be primed and hungry, but one will wonder can the maintain this standard for another 6 months?
Tyrone - as above.
Cork - have the ability and hallmarks of champions, but just don't play at a high intensity enough.
Kildare - my second favourite county will be contenders, but afraid to win an All-Ireland a team needs at leat two top class forwards performing consistently! Kildare have one (John Doyle) and he operates at midfield. Hope they do it, but just can't see it happening.
Donegal - If Jim McGuinness is more positive, and allows his side more freedom, whilst still being a tough nut to crack, they are in with a shout. May take another year or two to become the complete package.
Mayo - the lads from the west need to toughen up and go a step further in developing this year. Will be contenders, but not winners this year.

Footbote: Will we see a resurgence from Down this year??

rover08 (Longford) - Posts: 443 - 24/03/2012 17:02:48    1136121

Link

Mayo equals bottlers

Peace_On (Kerry) - Posts: 53 - 24/03/2012 19:23:17    1136195

Link