National Forum

Gooch on Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "Hear, Hear. The number of likes is ultimately irrelevant, but it does raise questions about who's who and the honesty of the discussion on here. Needs to be looked at.

Breffni39 (Cavan) - Posts:11317 - 04/10/2017

Yeah the green / red thumb numbers don't usually bother me but it's not the first time there's been some sort of anomaly with them like this."
Seems to be a regular thing for that user

http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/PopularUsersPostsPage.aspx?UserID=54760&Username=KK1926

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 04/10/2017 12:02:38    2052957

Link

As a separate point, I must say that the bregudergy of a legend like Gooch on here lately is remarkable, even by the standards of this website.

Having a go at someone for writing a book? Honestly??

How many of you probably have both of Roy Keane's, or the 3 or 4 Wayne Rooney has already brought out? Hell I remember seeing this massive tome about Theo Walcott on a shelf one time after he was only 2-3 years playing for Arsenal and plenty probably bought that cack too. So ye'll think nothing of having a go at a lad who brought you endless hours of entertainment and got nothing for it. But you'll have the Christmas stockings full of biographies of multi-millionaire soccer players that are not worth the paper they are printed on.

If you don't like the book grand. But having a go at him for making a few quid from a book, get real.

As for his dinner thing, is someone putting a gun to your heads and forcing you to pay for it? No? Well then, isn't there more important stuff going on in Gaelic games right now.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts:3065 - 04/10/2017 11:44:15

I think Cooper has been one of the most universally liked Gaelic Footballers of his generation so I think people were happy for him to get all the endorsements he got during his career, as well then getting the cushy number on the Sunday game for another few bob, as well as another little bonus with the book.

However I think some people find the notion of money dinner thing a little greedy and people tend not to admire greedy people.

Best of luck to him with it but he's definitely changed a lot of people's perceptions of him and people will remember this when his name comes up for a good while I think.

I don't necessarily think it's begrudgery.

People are entitled to their opinion that Gooch's Cap in Hand Collection dinner is a little embarrassing and comes off a tad greedy.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 04/10/2017 12:03:05    2052959

Link

Seems to be a regular thing for that user

http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/PopularUsersPostsPage.aspx?UserID=54760&Username=KK1926

Breffni39 (Cavan) - Posts:11318 - 04/10/2017

Him and the brother are both very popular alright.

I mentioned it on another thread as well, assume it was the same 8 people liking / disliking the last 3 posts on this one;

http://hoganstand.com/Forum/MessagePage.aspx?TopicID=101928&Latest=1#Latest

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 04/10/2017 12:08:00    2052961

Link

Replying To keithlemon:  "
Replying To TheHermit:  "[quote=MesAmis:  "A replay and nothing more.

So not only did ye not beat Tyrone in the naughties but ye didn't beat Kerry either , did ye beat Mayo in the naughties?
KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5941 - 04/10/2017 01:25:21

Nothing more indeed but still more than Kerry achieved against Tyrone in the 00s!

A team that barely beat anyone the whole decade still got closer to Tyrone than Kerry did!

Mayo beat Tyrone and all, as did Laois!

Kerry did not beat Tyrone in the 00s though. Couldn't even get a draw that Pillar's boyos got!"
Ah yes, Dublin now, Tyrone in the 2000s, there were others before too, Cork, Meath, Offaly - Down and Galway in the 1960s etc, etc

You see the thing is other counties come along, have their couple of years in the sun and slip back into the pack again. Down in the Kingdom we take the long view, sporting dominance is a marathon not a decade or half decade sprint.

Tyrone should be proud they got the better of a great Kerry side in a couple of finals, but as the record books show they have 3 AI and we have 37.
Dublin should be proud of their current team too. The 2010s have certainly not proven a rich harvest for the Kerry seniors. Indeed with only one AI title and 1 League title thus far this decade will go down as bad as the 1990s unless we cam turn things around fast in the next two years.
But the future looks very bright and again we are still a long way out in front in the records books when compared with the Dubs.

A good few posts on here are positively dripping with glee remembering some of Kerry's past final defeats. So be it, the dominant force is rarely loved in any walk of life. I actually take the labeling of certain counties at certain times as Kerry's 'bogey teams' as a compliment. It's just an acceptance that Kerry are always there as the ones to be measured against.

Anyway just a final thought on all of this: in 2017 Kerry teams won the AI Senior Club Championship, the Intermediate Club Championship, their 4th Hogan Cup in a row, their 4th AI Minor Title in a row, their third Junior title in a row, The Senior, Junior, Minor and U-21 Munster Championships and the Senior National League. Now for us without Sam Maguire to top it off, it still goes down as a bad year. But what other county can point to this success at all levels? And done under our own steam too, no Croke Park money to power it!

Kerry football is going nowhere."
You sound like a Liverpool supporter from the 1990's"]What soccer has to do with the history of the GAA is beyond me.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 12:22:49    2052963

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "As a separate point, I must say that the bregudergy of a legend like Gooch on here lately is remarkable, even by the standards of this website.

How many of you probably have both of Roy Keane's, or the 3 or 4 Wayne Rooney has already brought out? Hell I remember seeing this massive tome about Theo Walcott on a shelf one time after he was only 2-3 years playing for Arsenal and plenty probably bought that cack too. So ye'll think nothing of having a go at a lad who brought you endless hours of entertainment and got nothing for it. But you'll have the Christmas stockings full of biographies of multi-millionaire soccer players that are not worth the paper they are printed on.

If you don't like the book grand. But having a go at him for making a few quid from a book, get real.

As for his dinner thing, is someone putting a gun to your heads and forcing you to pay for it? No? Well then, isn't there more important stuff going on in Gaelic games right now.

I think Cooper has been one of the most universally liked Gaelic Footballers of his generation so I think people were happy for him to get all the endorsements he got during his career, as well then getting the cushy number on the Sunday game for another few bob, as well as another little bonus with the book.

However I think some people find the notion of money dinner thing a little greedy and people tend not to admire greedy people.

Best of luck to him with it but he's definitely changed a lot of people's perceptions of him and people will remember this when his name comes up for a good while I think.

People are entitled to their opinion that Gooch's Cap in Hand Collection dinner is a little embarrassing and comes off a tad greedy."
Well like everything else that people complain about on here, we will see what tune they whistle when it's their own county players doing it.

Because I doubt Gooch will the last fella to print a book about his career, become an analyst on the back of his playing days or even have a dinner!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 12:26:34    2052964

Link

If Tyrone don't like what people say about their behaviour then it is up to them to review their ethos and maybe consider change instead of continually rubber stamping the same management with nothing new.

Very defensive taking a pot shot at gooch over his off pitch activities. What a player does outside matches and training sessions is his own business ,and unless illegal in the eyes of the law of the land is nobodies right to criticise.

Tyrone don't do as well in that scenario but should not be mentioned either. I accept they could say certain Dublin players are no better but that is why Dublin are not as popular as could be outside their own following.

Ashrules (Dublin) - Posts: 518 - 04/10/2017 12:29:38    2052967

Link

Well like everything else that people complain about on here, we will see what tune they whistle when it's their own county players doing it.

Because I doubt Gooch will the last fella to print a book about his career, become an analyst on the back of his playing days or even have a dinner!
TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts:3067 - 04/10/2017 12:26:34

If a Dublin player decides to have a Gooch Fundraiser to pay to build their extension then I'll say the exact same thing about them. Greedy and embarrassing.

No problem with Gooch being paid to do a job, i.e. be a pundit or "write" a book.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 04/10/2017 12:40:14    2052972

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "
Replying To MesAmis:  "As a separate point, I must say that the bregudergy of a legend like Gooch on here lately is remarkable, even by the standards of this website.

People are entitled to their opinion that Gooch's Cap in Hand Collection dinner is a little embarrassing and comes off a tad greedy."

Because I doubt Gooch will the last fella to print a book about his career, become an analyst on the back of his playing days or even have a dinner!"
Nobody has any issue with Gooch's role as pundit or releasing a book. I'm not sure why you're bringing these into the argument.
He is however the first player to organise a testimonial dinner for himself, from which a hefty amount of the proceeds will he going in to his own pocket.
If a former Galway player did the same, it wouldn't sit right with me either. You need to look beyond the county affiliation on some issues. Cooper has always been very well-liked nationally, and has right received a lot of adulation from all corners of the country.
To be trying to paint this as it's an issue because he's from Kerry, is completely missing the main point.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 2034 - 04/10/2017 12:54:11    2052981

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "
Replying To TheHermit:  "[quote=MesAmis:  "As a separate point, I must say that the bregudergy of a legend like Gooch on here lately is remarkable, even by the standards of this website.

Because I doubt Gooch will the last fella to print a book about his career, become an analyst on the back of his playing days or even have a dinner!"
Nobody has any issue with Gooch's role as pundit or releasing a book. I'm not sure why you're bringing these into the argument.
He is however the first player to organise a testimonial dinner for himself, from which a hefty amount of the proceeds will he going in to his own pocket.
If a former Galway player did the same, it wouldn't sit right with me either. You need to look beyond the county affiliation on some issues. Cooper has always been very well-liked nationally, and has right received a lot of adulation from all corners of the country.
To be trying to paint this as it's an issue because he's from Kerry, is completely missing the main point."]As far as I know gooch didn't organise this event but was aproched about having it and it would take a fair man to turn that kinda money.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 04/10/2017 14:59:20    2053029

Link

It's nothing to do with him being from Kerry, I'm just saying that you see people on here constantly complaining when its an issue to do with another county player or team, but when it's one of their own they say nothing.

If a GAA player from wherever wants to try something new and make a bit of money let him off. What rule is he breaking?

I remember Ronan O'Gara and Brian O'Driscoll both having similar events once they retired from well paid sports careers. There was no moral outrage over it? Why is it only coming now because a GAA player does it?
Does a GAA player of Gooch's ability not give up a similar amount of his life in the pursuit of his sport as rugby players like the two above did? And weren't Rog and Drico well paid to give up that time, as opposed to Gooch? Despite that, those two still felt the need to have their whip arounds.

Another point, I'm sure many people on here are members of clubs that pay managers illegal and often inordinate amounts of cash under the counter to train their sides. Again that's acceptable but a retired player being asked to throw a fund raiser isn't?

There's a strange rational to the justification against this testimonial that I don't get.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 15:48:56    2053048

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "It's nothing to do with him being from Kerry, I'm just saying that you see people on here constantly complaining when its an issue to do with another county player or team, but when it's one of their own they say nothing.

If a GAA player from wherever wants to try something new and make a bit of money let him off. What rule is he breaking?

I remember Ronan O'Gara and Brian O'Driscoll both having similar events once they retired from well paid sports careers. There was no moral outrage over it? Why is it only coming now because a GAA player does it?
Does a GAA player of Gooch's ability not give up a similar amount of his life in the pursuit of his sport as rugby players like the two above did? And weren't Rog and Drico well paid to give up that time, as opposed to Gooch? Despite that, those two still felt the need to have their whip arounds.

Another point, I'm sure many people on here are members of clubs that pay managers illegal and often inordinate amounts of cash under the counter to train their sides. Again that's acceptable but a retired player being asked to throw a fund raiser isn't?

There's a strange rational to the justification against this testimonial that I don't get."
What rugby has to do with the history of the GAA is beyond me.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 04/10/2017 15:59:36    2053052

Link

TheHermit, can you outline why you think Gooch deserves this fundraiser ahead of say Tom O'Sullivan please?

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 04/10/2017 16:06:55    2053056

Link

Replying To Wally:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276498

Yeah sledging is why we won the All Ireland Gooch!

Listen I have always had a lot of time for Kerry, especially the team of the noughties.

They are a fantastic county with a great tradition and some very humble and likeable characters but Colm is really starting to let himself down since his retirement."
I agree with you Wally.
I wasn't one of Tyrone's biggest fans in the early noughties. 03 did sting and in 05 I was in the Canal End when Gooch went down and couldnt believe the umpires staying dumb on the incident.
But my most abiding memory of 05 was practically sh*ting myself every time Stephen o Neill or Mulligan got the ball in the second half as they tore us apart.
Also incidents like Gooch getting the finger in the eye or the sledging might hurt at the time but over time that hurt should ease and realize the better team won.
To be complaining about the 05 final in 2017 is fairly cringe worthy on his part I think.

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 04/10/2017 16:07:15    2053057

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "What rugby has to do with the history of the GAA is beyond me."
Was almost the sport of choice instead of football in around the time the GAA was formed

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 04/10/2017 16:12:15    2053061

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "What rugby has to do with the history of the GAA is beyond me."
I haven't heard anything so long winded and slow in getting to the point since I heard a speech about Dante Fires!!

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 04/10/2017 16:44:02    2053073

Link

I haven't heard anything so long winded and slow in getting to the point since I heard a speech about Dante Fires!!

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts:679 - 04/10/2017

I got a bit bored so decided to dismantle my Corby Trouser Press and now I can't put it back together again...

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 04/10/2017 17:01:38    2053078

Link

Replying To Superglue:  "Was almost the sport of choice instead of football in around the time the GAA was formed"
Yes, but it's also a professional sport. Testimonials are commonplace in professional sport. They are not in the GAA, and this is in fact the first, from which the player will receive money.
The main point from my side, is that it's not in keeping with the ethos of the GAA.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 2034 - 04/10/2017 17:04:13    2053079

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Yes, but it's also a professional sport. Testimonials are commonplace in professional sport. They are not in the GAA, and this is in fact the first, from which the player will receive money.
The main point from my side, is that it's not in keeping with the ethos of the GAA."
Is Dublin getting more money than the whole other 31 counties put together part of the ethos of the GAA?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 04/10/2017 18:09:17    2053094

Link

Is Dublin getting more money than the whole other 31 counties put together part of the ethos of the GAA?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5943 - 04/10/2017

Whammo do your thing please and thanks.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 04/10/2017 18:24:58    2053097

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "TheHermit, can you outline why you think Gooch deserves this fundraiser ahead of say Tom O'Sullivan please?"
Why did ROG deserve one over John Hayes?

Now don't you have some Dublin posters to brown nose?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 18:25:12    2053100

Link