National Forum

Gooch on Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Is there any truth in the rumour going around that there'll be a national Church Gate collection for the Gooch on Sunday 15th October?

KK1926 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 175 - 03/10/2017 22:03:18    2052869

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "We had a better record than Kerry did against the great Tyrone team of the 00s.

Pillar Caffrey and his merry band of lads brought Tyrone to a replay in 2005!

Kerry never got that close."
And what did ye get for drawing that game?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 03/10/2017 22:30:23    2052873

Link

Replying To catch22:  "I think for a finish that Tyrone team had Kerry well and truly bamboozled.They wanted to beat them so badly they were near bet before the throw in.
Even afterwards when they bet a different Tyrone team ( down in Killarney I think it was ) the players and supporters were celebrating like they'd won the all ireland and it was only a league game.
Gooch has clear memories of his encounters with that side I'd say like a lot of the kerry side of the Noughties.
He seems mad for cash alright and I never taught he would be one to go after it in such a bald headed way. Between books and testimonials he'll be like Baron greenback by Christmas."
We actually beat Tyrone in a qualifier game in 2012 and ya we celebrated that win as so we should.

It'll be a sad day for the association when a team don't show a bit of delight at beating their nemesis.

It's not all about the process you know.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 03/10/2017 22:35:19    2052877

Link

And what did ye get for drawing that game?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5939 - 03/10/2017 22:30:23   2052873 

A replay! I thought that much was obvious!

Something Kerry could never get in the 00s off Tyrone.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 03/10/2017 22:48:36    2052879

Link

29 likes in less than hour for a post... seriously what's going on here?

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 03/10/2017 23:05:32    2052880

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "And what did ye get for drawing that game?"
A replay!!!

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 03/10/2017 23:14:33    2052882

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "And what did ye get for drawing that game?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5939 - 03/10/2017 22:30:23   2052873 

A replay! I thought that much was obvious!

Something Kerry could never get in the 00s off Tyrone."
A replay and nothing more.

So not only did ye not beat Tyrone in the naughties but ye didn't beat Kerry either , did ye beat Mayo in the naughties?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 04/10/2017 01:25:21    2052890

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "We actually beat Tyrone in a qualifier game in 2012 and ya we celebrated that win as so we should.

It'll be a sad day for the association when a team don't show a bit of delight at beating their nemesis.

It's not all about the process you know."
Ya , that'sthe one alright.
You'll probably remember it better than myself alright.
It was a different Tyrone side to the one that caused so much heartache to Kerry I know but they were still dealing with the past I think which is probably why it came across as a bit odd how it was such a big deal.
Ah well, it's history now I suppose and you can't role back the clock.Best to move on and try to make some ground on yer current bogey team.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 04/10/2017 08:14:04    2052900

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "
Replying To bulmccabe:  "[quote=bdbuddah:  "Is he really downing Tyrone for sledging, in the article it says 'Tyrone were pushing the boundaries that year - maybe overstepping them at times - and who could really blame them?'. These books if you don't get some specific details like this can be boring."
reading a phil Collins autobiography at the min, he says at the beginning " some people will agree with it , some will disagree, some will feel let down others will say that's not how I remember it or that's not what happened, but this is the truth of how I remember of it " same as any auto bio bits inserted to sell the book or the banquet, but still there to make it a good payday"
Wait, What?"]reading a phil Collins autobiography at the min

I'm not too sure you should publicly admit to that. Thank God for the anonymity here!

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 04/10/2017 09:29:01    2052910

Link

I just wish the Gooch would just stop crying and move on. I am sick of listening to him whinging about what big bad Tyrone did to him - I recall the day in late September in 1986 when a very nice Tyrone team lined up against the mighty Kerry who cynically took out 2 of Tyrones best players. You also had another very nice Tyrone team in the 90's who went down to Croker to play Meath who got all sorts of abuse both physical and verbal - but that's fine as most great teams will do what it takes to win. That Tyrone team in the noughties were not going to let that happen - they had skilful players and they had their fair share of eejits. Perhaps if Gooch wants to cry he can aim it at his own county for creating the monster he had to face in Ricey. Finally I've played football in Ireland at a pretty high standard both north and south and in the US and this so called sledging goes on everywhere and has done for a long time and if Gooch never experienced it before he met Ricey then he must have been wearing his ear muffs!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 04/10/2017 09:41:43    2052913

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "
Replying To The_Fridge:  "[quote=bulmccabe:  "[quote=bdbuddah:  "Is he really downing Tyrone for sledging, in the article it says 'Tyrone were pushing the boundaries that year - maybe overstepping them at times - and who could really blame them?'. These books if you don't get some specific details like this can be boring."
reading a phil Collins autobiography at the min, he says at the beginning " some people will agree with it , some will disagree, some will feel let down others will say that's not how I remember it or that's not what happened, but this is the truth of how I remember of it " same as any auto bio bits inserted to sell the book or the banquet, but still there to make it a good payday"
Wait, What?"]reading a phil Collins autobiography at the min

I'm not too sure you should publicly admit to that. Thank God for the anonymity here!"]There's a similar line in Duff McKagan's autobiography. Which is a bit cooler to mention!!!

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 563 - 04/10/2017 09:47:03    2052915

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "I just wish the Gooch would just stop crying and move on. I am sick of listening to him whinging about what big bad Tyrone did to him - I recall the day in late September in 1986 when a very nice Tyrone team lined up against the mighty Kerry who cynically took out 2 of Tyrones best players. You also had another very nice Tyrone team in the 90's who went down to Croker to play Meath who got all sorts of abuse both physical and verbal - but that's fine as most great teams will do what it takes to win. That Tyrone team in the noughties were not going to let that happen - they had skilful players and they had their fair share of eejits. Perhaps if Gooch wants to cry he can aim it at his own county for creating the monster he had to face in Ricey. Finally I've played football in Ireland at a pretty high standard both north and south and in the US and this so called sledging goes on everywhere and has done for a long time and if Gooch never experienced it before he met Ricey then he must have been wearing his ear muffs!"
What do you expect Gooch to do? The one thing most (Brian Cody is an exception) GAA autobiographies have done is the person telling it like it is. You might not like it but its his truth.Do you want a Frank Lampard type? Where he spends 250 pages saying absolutely nothing.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 563 - 04/10/2017 10:00:18    2052918

Link

A replay and nothing more.

So not only did ye not beat Tyrone in the naughties but ye didn't beat Kerry either , did ye beat Mayo in the naughties?
KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5941 - 04/10/2017 01:25:21

Nothing more indeed but still more than Kerry achieved against Tyrone in the 00s!

A team that barely beat anyone the whole decade still got closer to Tyrone than Kerry did!

Mayo beat Tyrone and all, as did Laois!

Kerry did not beat Tyrone in the 00s though. Couldn't even get a draw that Pillar's boyos got!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 04/10/2017 10:05:13    2052920

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "29 likes in less than hour for a post... seriously what's going on here?"
Hear, Hear. The number of likes is ultimately irrelevant, but it does raise questions about who's who and the honesty of the discussion on here. Needs to be looked at.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 04/10/2017 10:32:33    2052928

Link

Replying To DUBJOHN:  "You just can't help yourself Hermit! Bringing Dublin into it!"
It generally happens with some here when the thread isn't even about Dublin, we're always on their minds I think...

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2509 - 04/10/2017 10:50:28    2052934

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "A replay and nothing more.

Nothing more indeed but still more than Kerry achieved against Tyrone in the 00s!

A team that barely beat anyone the whole decade still got closer to Tyrone than Kerry did!

Kerry did not beat Tyrone in the 00s though. Couldn't even get a draw that Pillar's boyos got!"
Ah yes, Dublin now, Tyrone in the 2000s, there were others before too, Cork, Meath, Offaly - Down and Galway in the 1960s etc, etc

You see the thing is other counties come along, have their couple of years in the sun and slip back into the pack again. Down in the Kingdom we take the long view, sporting dominance is a marathon not a decade or half decade sprint.

Tyrone should be proud they got the better of a great Kerry side in a couple of finals, but as the record books show they have 3 AI and we have 37.
Dublin should be proud of their current team too. The 2010s have certainly not proven a rich harvest for the Kerry seniors. Indeed with only one AI title and 1 League title thus far this decade will go down as bad as the 1990s unless we cam turn things around fast in the next two years.
But the future looks very bright and again we are still a long way out in front in the records books when compared with the Dubs.

A good few posts on here are positively dripping with glee remembering some of Kerry's past final defeats. So be it, the dominant force is rarely loved in any walk of life. I actually take the labeling of certain counties at certain times as Kerry's 'bogey teams' as a compliment. It's just an acceptance that Kerry are always there as the ones to be measured against.

Anyway just a final thought on all of this: in 2017 Kerry teams won the AI Senior Club Championship, the Intermediate Club Championship, their 4th Hogan Cup in a row, their 4th AI Minor Title in a row, their third Junior title in a row, The Senior, Junior, Minor and U-21 Munster Championships and the Senior National League. Now for us without Sam Maguire to top it off, it still goes down as a bad year. But what other county can point to this success at all levels? And done under our own steam too, no Croke Park money to power it!

Kerry football is going nowhere.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 11:43:04    2052946

Link

Kerry did not beat Tyrone in the 00s though. Couldn't even get a draw that Pillar's boyos got!"
I think all that's relevant is that Kerry won the most All Ireland's in the 00s.
Makes them the best team of that era.
Tyrone had the better of them in one off game's but over the course of the decade, Kerry were the more consistent and successful team.

pdempsey (Mayo) - Posts: 1313 - 04/10/2017 11:44:00    2052948

Link

As a separate point, I must say that the bregudergy of a legend like Gooch on here lately is remarkable, even by the standards of this website.

Having a go at someone for writing a book? Honestly??

How many of you probably have both of Roy Keane's, or the 3 or 4 Wayne Rooney has already brought out? Hell I remember seeing this massive tome about Theo Walcott on a shelf one time after he was only 2-3 years playing for Arsenal and plenty probably bought that cack too. So ye'll think nothing of having a go at a lad who brought you endless hours of entertainment and got nothing for it. But you'll have the Christmas stockings full of biographies of multi-millionaire soccer players that are not worth the paper they are printed on.

If you don't like the book grand. But having a go at him for making a few quid from a book, get real.

As for his dinner thing, is someone putting a gun to your heads and forcing you to pay for it? No? Well then, isn't there more important stuff going on in Gaelic games right now.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 04/10/2017 11:44:15    2052949

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "

Ah yes, Dublin now, Tyrone in the 2000s, there were others before too, Cork, Meath, Offaly - Down and Galway in the 1960s etc, etc

You see the thing is other counties come along, have their couple of years in the sun and slip back into the pack again. Down in the Kingdom we take the long view, sporting dominance is a marathon not a decade or half decade sprint.

Tyrone should be proud they got the better of a great Kerry side in a couple of finals, but as the record books show they have 3 AI and we have 37.
Dublin should be proud of their current team too. The 2010s have certainly not proven a rich harvest for the Kerry seniors. Indeed with only one AI title and 1 League title thus far this decade will go down as bad as the 1990s unless we cam turn things around fast in the next two years.
But the future looks very bright and again we are still a long way out in front in the records books when compared with the Dubs.

A good few posts on here are positively dripping with glee remembering some of Kerry's past final defeats. So be it, the dominant force is rarely loved in any walk of life. I actually take the labeling of certain counties at certain times as Kerry's 'bogey teams' as a compliment. It's just an acceptance that Kerry are always there as the ones to be measured against.

Anyway just a final thought on all of this: in 2017 Kerry teams won the AI Senior Club Championship, the Intermediate Club Championship, their 4th Hogan Cup in a row, their 4th AI Minor Title in a row, their third Junior title in a row, The Senior, Junior, Minor and U-21 Munster Championships and the Senior National League. Now for us without Sam Maguire to top it off, it still goes down as a bad year. But what other county can point to this success at all levels? And done under our own steam too, no Croke Park money to power it!

Kerry football is going nowhere."
You sound like a Liverpool supporter from the 1990's

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 04/10/2017 11:49:40    2052951

Link

Hear, Hear. The number of likes is ultimately irrelevant, but it does raise questions about who's who and the honesty of the discussion on here. Needs to be looked at.

Breffni39 (Cavan) - Posts:11317 - 04/10/2017

Yeah the green / red thumb numbers don't usually bother me but it's not the first time there's been some sort of anomaly with them like this.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 04/10/2017 11:51:45    2052953

Link