National Forum

Kildare V Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Nice to see the neighbours are at it again, just like old times :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8592 - 20/06/2017 17:58:42    2002693

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Most teams best performances are against teams inferior to them though. Fairly logical explanation."
Even Meath all Ireland winning teams would find it hard to beat kildare. Kildare are a different beast when they play other counties this has been going on for decades for decades. But when they play other sucessful counties they are not as strong. 1 victory over a top 6 team outside Leinster in nearly a century of football points to that. The media always hpye up Kildare. And always downplay or downgrade Meaths achievements. Will this Kildare team be different. They have some serious talent in Doyle is a top class centre back. Feehily can become the best midfielder in the business. And Kelly is the best centre forward they have had since Tompkins. While Flynn Brophy and McCormack are all quality forwards. O Neill.is an impressive individual. I hope they beat Dublin. But will they produce the same level of performance v Dublin. Kildare do raisee their game for Meath . Look at the Byrne cup. Dublins third team and Kildare just stood of them.

When kildare play Dublin they need to bring fire in the belly. I hope they win. But they are being hyped again. And they have failed to deliver on this hype in the past. If this Kildare team did not win 2 leinsters and push for Sam Maguire in the coming years it would be a shame. Because I think they have the potential. But the problem is and always has been Dublin. I talk to Dubs and they always say they believe they can always beat Kildare. Hopefully for leinster football Kildare deliver on their promise.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 20/06/2017 17:59:24    2002694

Link

Replying To TheWestIsAwake:  "Galway beat Meath in the 1966 final too."
OK two victories v Galway. But overall when you look at Meaths record in the last 70 or 80 years even a Dublin or Kildare supporter would have to admit Meath are great gaelic football county. And you could make the point that after Kerry in the last 70 years plus that Meath and Down are the two greatest gaelic football counties. Cork Galway and Dublin should be in the top 6 they are our 3 top most famous most powerful iconic counties the centre of social economic and cultural parts of their regionskins. Meath and Down don't standout in Irish society . But in Gaelic football terms they have greatly overachieved.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 20/06/2017 18:05:14    2002698

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Nice to see the neighbours are at it again, just like old times :D"
Shhh no talking in history class!!

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 854 - 20/06/2017 18:10:07    2002699

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "Even this current generation of talented Kildare footballers eg Feehily Doyle Flynn couldn't again beat their bogey team Dublin at underage level

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts:2 - 20/06/2017

Except for 2010 when we beat them at minor level with 7 players who played for us at the weekend also playing (include Paul Cribbin and that's up to 8).

Or for 2013 when our minors bet them with Chris Healy and Neil Flynn featuring that day and again on Saturday.

We don't have the best head to head record against Dublin at underage level over the last few years, but we've still had success at minor and under 21 level. As good as Dublin are, and as strong as their underage structures are I'd take winning a title over beating them and not winning one any day of the week.

If you want to talk about beating bogey teams then you must be really worried about Meath's poor record against Kildare at minor and under 21 over the last 8 or 10 years?"
I agree Kildarea record v Meath at underage level in the last ten years has been excellent. Kildare have wiped the floor with us at underage level. Meath record at under 21 is dreadful and one of the contributory factors to the last decade been our worst since the 30s. But still in that period we defeated Dublin and Kerry by record scores and defeated Galway Mayo and the great Tyrone team. Under McGeeney kildare couldn't beat a top team.

While Kildare deserve lots of praise for their underage sucess. Meath are still the only minor team this decade to reach an All Ireland final other then Dublin from the province of leinster. When kildare got our of the province at undwr 21 abd minor level they still had that age old problem of beating qualtity opposition . While under McEntee Meath defeated very highly fancied Tyrone and Mayo teams to get to the final to play Dublina greatest minor team ever.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 20/06/2017 18:14:04    2002701

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "
Replying To if_in_doubt:  "Even this current generation of talented Kildare footballers eg Feehily Doyle Flynn couldn't again beat their bogey team Dublin at underage level

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts:2 - 20/06/2017

Except for 2010 when we beat them at minor level with 7 players who played for us at the weekend also playing (include Paul Cribbin and that's up to 8).

Or for 2013 when our minors bet them with Chris Healy and Neil Flynn featuring that day and again on Saturday.

We don't have the best head to head record against Dublin at underage level over the last few years, but we've still had success at minor and under 21 level. As good as Dublin are, and as strong as their underage structures are I'd take winning a title over beating them and not winning one any day of the week.

If you want to talk about beating bogey teams then you must be really worried about Meath's poor record against Kildare at minor and under 21 over the last 8 or 10 years?"
I agree Kildarea record v Meath at underage level in the last ten years has been excellent. Kildare have wiped the floor with us at underage level. Meath record at under 21 is dreadful and one of the contributory factors to the last decade been our worst since the 30s. But still in that period we defeated Dublin and Kerry by record scores and defeated Galway Mayo and the great Tyrone team. Under McGeeney kildare couldn't beat a top team.

While Kildare deserve lots of praise for their underage sucess. Meath are still the only minor team this decade to reach an All Ireland final other then Dublin from the province of leinster. When kildare got our of the province at undwr 21 abd minor level they still had that age old problem of beating qualtity opposition . While under McEntee Meath defeated very highly fancied Tyrone and Mayo teams to get to the final to play Dublina greatest minor team ever."
I agree Furlong1949 the weight of History lays heavily on Kildare shoulders when it comes to Dublin and our Championship record against them. However that may be about to change as other posters have pointed out that many of the present players have beaten Dublin more than once at underage. I hope I'm wrong but I think we are probably a year short of beating Dublin and other top teams. A season in Division 1 will be very beneficial and realistically is required if Kildare are to make a genuine breakthrough by beating any of the top teams who are short favourites for the All-Ireland every year.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2990 - 20/06/2017 18:37:51    2002708

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "OK two victories v Galway. But overall when you look at Meaths record in the last 70 or 80 years even a Dublin or Kildare supporter would have to admit Meath are great gaelic football county. And you could make the point that after Kerry in the last 70 years plus that Meath and Down are the two greatest gaelic football counties. Cork Galway and Dublin should be in the top 6 they are our 3 top most famous most powerful iconic counties the centre of social economic and cultural parts of their regionskins. Meath and Down don't standout in Irish society . But in Gaelic football terms they have greatly overachieved."
Galway is a dual county, would imagine Meath has more football clubs and more registered footballers.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 20/06/2017 19:25:58    2002734

Link

This weather is great but the problem is that there's no clouds in the sky for angry old men to shout at & so some of them come on here instead.

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 593 - 20/06/2017 20:15:29    2002757

Link

I brush shoulders from time to time with a few lads from other counties, one of them is from Meath, mad about Meath football and has a history,so
to cut it short, he insists that Kildare will win out Leinster, he goes on, Sarsfields and Moorefield have had a strangle hold over Kildare football for years now, yet he says there was no rep. from either of those clubs on the starting 15, they were also missing one of their best scoring forwards in young Ben McCormack he says, that team has all the hall marks of the '98 team under Mick O'Dwyer, I asked him again, do you really think they will win the leinster title, at least the leinster title he said, did you know he said when Meath won the 1967 All Ireland final against Cork, there was a player from 15 different clubs on that Meath team, no county champions, Cian O'Neill is using a similar format. - I'm inclined to agree with him.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 20/06/2017 22:16:07    2002840

Link

Replying To Kildare30:  "I have no problem saying I hope you's (or Westmeath) hammer Kildare, worst set of fans I've come across in a long time. Cheering Meath wides when the game was well and truly over you'd know they haven't achieved anything in a long time when they're at that

meathforsam09 (Meath) - Posts:82 - 20/06/2017 09:46:30

Meathforsam09 I have to reply to this if only to give some balance. I moved a couple of times because I just could not tolerate the abuse from some sections of the Meath supporters at both our players and their own team. I was standing behind the goals at the far end of the ground in the first half and when Cathal McNally scored the poor Meath keeper was abused at a height from Meath fans all around me. I know things weren't going so well but that was ridiculous. Then when we moved to the terrace side at the other end of the ground i had some crazed idiots roaring at Daniel Flynn to get the F off the field even though the lad was physically running off with a blood injury to receive treatment and change his jersey. Would you get over yourself. Practically every team in the country cheers the oppositions wide particularly when the result has gone beyond doubt...that's just a bit of banter and rivalry and you have to take that as part of winning and losing in sport! There's a world of difference between that kind of stuff and outright abuse which i have to say is really off putting to the majority of genuine GAA supporters. Best of luck against Sligo"
I have to agree with you Kildare30 on that point, I was on the terrace and a loudmouth Meath follower behind me used the most vile language at both his own players and the Kildare ones. However I must point out that he was in a minority as most of the Meath supporters around me were very decent and honourable.

OntheWhiteSide (Kildare) - Posts: 452 - 21/06/2017 00:12:14    2002884

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Whoever loses could draw Galway/Mayo or Donegal/Tyrone away and their summer will be over before it begins."
Called it well

rossy15 (Roscommon) - Posts: 617 - 08/07/2017 22:03:56    2012584

Link