National Forum

Davy Fitz

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Yeah, they are queuing up to bury Davy.

Kirwan was woeful as usual. Callanan's thumb was broken after a wild challenge and no yellow card. He booked players for nothing.

If Forde is suspended for the final we'll be without two players because of inept refereeing. Thankfully for us Breen and Bubbles will happily step in."
I felt what happened was Kirwan shafted us for your 2nd goal and going by the free count spend the rest of the game trying to make up for it

What actually happened with callanan I geniuelly don't remember an incident with him

bostonredsox (Wexford) - Posts: 4368 - 20/04/2017 11:02:32    1981056

Link

8 week ban for Davy

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 20/04/2017 11:21:26    1981064

Link

the way john mcgrath was swinging the hurl for the now infamous goal could easily have broken james breens hand,but that'd be good manly play,right?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 20/04/2017 11:32:19    1981068

Link

8 weeks seems excessive to be fair...i'd say an appeal will be lodged.

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 20/04/2017 11:56:35    1981081

Link

I'm a huge fan of Davy but I'm glad the GAA have come down hard on him.

I don't know what he was thinking coming onto the pitch and squaring up to the oppositions players. If I was a Tipp player I'd be looking at that and thinking we have them seriously rattled now. All you are doing is giving impetus to the opposition.

Worse, if the manager is going on with antics like that it will eventually seep into the players. They'll end up spending more time arguing with the referee and jumping around than concentrating on the game. I think stuff like that coming from a manager will begin to breed indiscipline among the whole group.

Finally, considering the GAA is plagued with on field altercations at club level, we can't tolerate one of our highest profile managers carrying on like this during a semi-final of a national competition.

Davy I love your passion, but you went way too far this time.

You've also done damage to the great momentum Wexford had built up over the League. He will miss the Kilkenny game now.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/04/2017 12:04:03    1981086

Link

How have the GAA come down hard on him? In 8 weeks what does he miss? A game v Kerry Laois or offaly. Wexford wont need him to beat them. What happens at midnight on the Saturday June 10 the 8 week ban is up no? The day they play Kilkenny in the Leinster semi. The only way this ban is anyway hard on him is if hes barred from attending training and contacting his squad in those 8 weeks

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 20/04/2017 12:08:02    1981089

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "the way john mcgrath was swinging the hurl for the now infamous goal could easily have broken james breens hand,but that'd be good manly play,right?"
Whats that got to do with Davy Fitz?
If you want to go there, we'll bring up the Waterford goalie nearly breaking Johns hands as he scored a goal in the Munster final last year or Seamus Hickey nearly breaking his hand against Limerick trying to block him down... Or a Wexford player actually breaking Seamus Callanans thumb?

But none of this has anything to do with Davy Fitz.

Joe_Bloggs (Tipperary) - Posts: 186 - 20/04/2017 12:19:59    1981094

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "How have the GAA come down hard on him? In 8 weeks what does he miss? A game v Kerry Laois or offaly. Wexford wont need him to beat them. What happens at midnight on the Saturday June 10 the 8 week ban is up no? The day they play Kilkenny in the Leinster semi. The only way this ban is anyway hard on him is if hes barred from attending training and contacting his squad in those 8 weeks"
We play Kilkenny on the Saturday evening though brian.
I have not condoned his behaviour once, but surely 8 weeks, and nothing for the player who ran 25 yards to square up to him, is a bit harsh?

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 20/04/2017 12:25:28    1981098

Link

I think we should introduce the 'James Ryan Rule'. Any non playing team members who overstep their mark, be it entering the field of play or mouthing off excessively from the line should be dealt with by the oppositions strongest midfielder in the form of a good ol fashioned 'put ye in yer place' shoulder. If a referee can't keep these sideline warriors quiet, knocking the wind outta ye will.

Too harsh? or too right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFO4Jv3Vvt8

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 20/04/2017 12:31:48    1981103

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "We play Kilkenny on the Saturday evening though brian.
I have not condoned his behaviour once, but surely 8 weeks, and nothing for the player who ran 25 yards to square up to him, is a bit harsh?"
Ye aren't drawn to play KK in the cship from what I can see from the draw....
How can you compare a manager entering the field of play to a player squaring up to him? Players square up to each other in every single game of hurling at all levels. You looking for them all to be banned?
The GAA had to set a precedent with this. You can't have officials coming into the field like he did. I'm a fan of Davy and gald he is progressing Wexford hurling but that was just plain stupid

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 20/04/2017 12:36:57    1981105

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "We play Kilkenny on the Saturday evening though brian.
I have not condoned his behaviour once, but surely 8 weeks, and nothing for the player who ran 25 yards to square up to him, is a bit harsh?"
The point im trying to make though is not just about Davy. Its about he GAA and there bans. How many times do players (or manager in this case) do something stupid and get a ban only for the ban to cover no games at all?

In Davys case whats he banned from for 8 weeks? The biggest punishment will obviously be missing the Kilkenny game if its on the Saturday and the ban only ends that night ( I think that's when its up)

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 20/04/2017 13:02:08    1981121

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "How have the GAA come down hard on him? In 8 weeks what does he miss? A game v Kerry Laois or offaly. Wexford wont need him to beat them. What happens at midnight on the Saturday June 10 the 8 week ban is up no? The day they play Kilkenny in the Leinster semi. The only way this ban is anyway hard on him is if hes barred from attending training and contacting his squad in those 8 weeks"
But they are on course to play the Cats on 10 June aren't they? So he will miss that game, assuming they beat the Leinster round robin side. You never know Kerry could scupper the Yellow Bellies yet!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/04/2017 13:09:09    1981123

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "But they are on course to play the Cats on 10 June aren't they? So he will miss that game, assuming they beat the Leinster round robin side. You never know Kerry could scupper the Yellow Bellies yet!"
Yes if that Kilkenny game is the Saturday not the Sunday hell miss that. So effectively for encroaching the field on Sunday hes got a 1 game ban. Wexford would beat he pick of the round robin sides with no manager on the line so that's a let off for him.

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 20/04/2017 13:29:23    1981130

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "Yes if that Kilkenny game is the Saturday not the Sunday hell miss that. So effectively for encroaching the field on Sunday hes got a 1 game ban. Wexford would beat he pick of the round robin sides with no manager on the line so that's a let off for him."
if we beat rr winners,it is on saturday while davy suspension wont run out till sunday.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 20/04/2017 14:01:55    1981148

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "Yes if that Kilkenny game is the Saturday not the Sunday hell miss that. So effectively for encroaching the field on Sunday hes got a 1 game ban. Wexford would beat he pick of the round robin sides with no manager on the line so that's a let off for him."
Well look I think most of us agree that the GAA needs to move from bans which cover set periods of time, to ones which cover a set number of matches.

Still, I'm sure Davy and Wexford have been targeting the KK game since last December as an opportunity to make a big impact on the Championship. If he is missing for it, which the GAA should ensure given his antics on Sunday, it will be a big blow to them.

But he only has himself to blame, you can't condone managers coming onto the field and confronting players, all hell will break lose!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/04/2017 14:04:46    1981149

Link

Totally agree you cannot go up and act the way he did I hope he gets his ban.

Hunter077 (Roscommon) - Posts: 52 - 20/04/2017 14:27:49    1981157

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "I think we should introduce the 'James Ryan Rule'. Any non playing team members who overstep their mark, be it entering the field of play or mouthing off excessively from the line should be dealt with by the oppositions strongest midfielder in the form of a good ol fashioned 'put ye in yer place' shoulder. If a referee can't keep these sideline warriors quiet, knocking the wind outta ye will.

Too harsh? or too right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFO4Jv3Vvt8"
ha!...i remember that!..
biggest cheer of the night from the Limerick crowd.
Davys behaviour on Sunday is just a link in a chain though, not an isolated incident, thats his biggest issue...
he has a lot of previous for doing daft things on the sideline..its a pity really cos he brought this ban on himself.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 1062 - 20/04/2017 15:47:49    1981185

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "I think we should introduce the 'James Ryan Rule'. Any non playing team members who overstep their mark, be it entering the field of play or mouthing off excessively from the line should be dealt with by the oppositions strongest midfielder in the form of a good ol fashioned 'put ye in yer place' shoulder. If a referee can't keep these sideline warriors quiet, knocking the wind outta ye will.

Too harsh? or too right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFO4Jv3Vvt8"
ha!...i remember that!..
biggest cheer of the night from the Limerick crowd.
Davys behaviour on Sunday is just a link in a chain though, not an isolated incident, thats his biggest issue...
he has a lot of previous for doing daft things on the sideline..its a pity really cos he brought this ban on himself.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 1062 - 20/04/2017 15:49:13    1981186

Link

What exactly does the suspension mean? If he is prevented from being involved in all team preparations, then 8 weeks is fair and justified. If the ban just means that he can't be on the sideline for the first round of the championship, then the punishment is very lenient. A three-match sideline ban would seem more appropriate.

football first (None) - Posts: 1259 - 20/04/2017 16:08:58    1981192

Link

Does anyone really think the ban ending the day after the KK game (assuming they win the game against the RR winners) will not be used to Davys advantage in terms of motivation. You never want to give the opposition a reason to lift themselves just that little bit more and that is what exactly this will do - mind you playing KK in WP should be enough. All the talk coming into the game will be about Davy in the stands etc. and ignoring the players, Cody will be asked for his opinion and most likely will give a non answer but he will have to answer questions like do you think its fair, does it not give KK an advantage etc etc - not the questions he wants to be answering either. Whats done is done - roll on the summer.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1804 - 20/04/2017 16:20:52    1981200

Link