Munster MHC quarter-final: Rebels win in Waterford

April 06, 2016

A general view of Walsh Park, Waterford.
©INPHO/Ken Sutton.

Cork defeated Waterford by 0-17 to 1-10 at Walsh Park to advance to the provincial semi-finals.

At the end of a topsy-turvy opening period, the losers - who live to fight another day - held the narrowest of advantages, 1-6 to 0-8, with 2,707 spectators looking on.

Na Deise could hardly have asked for a better start to their campaign as Eoin McGrath had the sliothar in the back of the Rebels net inside the opening minute. Cathal Curran and Michael Mahony added points as the hosts led by five with just four minutes played, 1-2 to no score. It was food for thought for Cork, who had won the toss but elected to play against the strong wind!

But the Leesiders then enjoyed a dominant period and clipped over eight unanswered scores - including three from centre forward Matthew Bradley and two apiece from Josh Beausang and Evan Sheehan - to roar into a three-point lead after 19 minutes. It was now Waterford's turn to take control and they fired over the last four points before the break (with goalkeeper Billy Nolan hitting their first point in 18 minutes followed by scores from Neil Montgomery and a Eoghan Murray (2) to lead by the narrowest of margins at the short whistle.

Upon the restart, the momentum swung back to the visitors, who drilled over the first five points of the second half courtesy of Sheehan, Cian O'Mahony, Liam Healy, Bradley and Beausang. It wasn't until the 41st minute that Waterford opened their second-half account, Jack Prendergast's effort reducing the margin to three, 1-7 to 0-13.

The next four points were shared to leave the Rebel County ahead by three going into the last five minutes and they eased five clear en route to a comfortable victory.

Cork advance to the last four and Waterford will get a second chance - and maybe even a third one! - to join them there. Tonight's losers will face Tipperary later this month for a place in the semi-finals and the losers in that game will be given another bite at the cherry.

Cork - G Collins; P Lyons, N O'Leary, S O'Leary Hayes; J Cooper, R Walsh, E Clifford; C O'Mahony (0-1), R Bourke (0-1); J Sullivan, M Bradley (0-4), S Condon; E Sheehan (0-5, 1sl), J Beausang (0-5, 4f), L Healy (0-1). Subs: B Buckley for J Sullivan, J Saich for R Walsh, D Gunning for S Condon, R Howell for N O'Leary, J Geary for E Sheehan.

Waterford - B Nolan (0-3f); C Giles Doran, J Flavin, D McGrath; D Power, H Ruddle Redmond, M O'Brien; C Curran (0-1), E Murray (0-2f); N Montgomery (0-2), M Mahony (0-1), E McGrath (1-0); J Prendergast (0-1), D Guiry, T Douglas. Subs: C Dalton for M O'Brien, T Barron for E McGrath, C Kirwan for T Douglas, G Waters for E McGrath, J Reade for D Guiry.

Referee - P Kelly.

Most Read Stories